Try it for cheap?

I'm new at geocaching, in fact I don't have a GPS device nor smart phone (other than for my car, but won't display cords). It looks like a fun hobby, but really don't want to lay down the money without seeing if I like it first. I tried finding 3 "easy" caches with a topo map/compass, but only found 1 part of a puzzle, no caches.

If I were to get a smart phone (need one anyway), which would be a good choice for geocaching? That is, which has a quality GPS and good software support?

I'm new at geocaching, in fact I don't have a GPS device nor smart phone (other than for my car, but won't display cords). It looks like a fun hobby, but really don't want to lay down the money without seeing if I like it first. I tried finding 3 "easy" caches with a topo map/compass, but only found 1 part of a puzzle, no caches.

If I were to get a smart phone (need one anyway), which would be a good choice for geocaching? That is, which has a quality GPS and good software support?

What kind of car GPS do you have? Usually you can always go to some sort of satellite screen and see the coordinates. I used my Tom Tom with a slight software modification, to turn the static navigation off, for the first year or so and it worked great.

Anyway, I have a Blackberry Tour 9630 with the Geocaching App and it works great. The font is a little small on the display but the GPS is very accurate. Remember not all Blackberries’ have GPS built in so check before you buy.

I also heard that the iPhone works well. Hope that helps.

I found my first cache ever with NOTHING.

I signed up for an account and went to geocaching.com/map typed my address

switched to satellite view and found one in a parking lot

went there and looked around and signed the log.

I then went home and bought 2 different apps for my iphone. The iPhone works AWESOME for urban caches but for the woods it takes a while to get you near it. I used my iphone for about the first 100 caches and just recently got a real GPS.

Good luck its a fun hobby :)

You stated that your GPS is for your car, what we need to know is it built in to the car or is it the kind that you set on the dash board (i.e. Nuvi or Tom Tom)

For myself, I'm not a big fan of using a smart phone for caching. I know a lot of people use them, I just feel that a low end GPS would be better. But if you are going to get one anyway, then its better than nothing.

I wouldn't have thought you'd get far without a GPS.

It's kind of essential for the hobby.

Unless you can borrow one, I don't see how you can get very far without spending some money.

Maybe look at a cheap used one?

There are hundreds of caches that are so easy that you don't need GPS for. We have even gotten a few FTFs without a GPS.

The best way to start is to look for caches in an area that you know. Don't go any higher than a Difficulty:2 and a Terrain:2. The lower the better. Then use something like Google Earth to show you the area, and if the Hints are go enough you should be able to find the cache. Once you start to know what to look for it gets much easier.

I think smart phones are a great choice for caching and I also believe they will replace handheld GPS units one day as the quality keeps getting better and better. There are some downsides of course such as battery life and that they are not designed to take drops but other than that they do a great job. I personally own an iPhone and highly recommend it. There are several applications available for Geocaching including the official Geocaching app from Groundspeak. I think an iPhone would be a very good choice.