Food in Caches

Today I was looking for a cache in the woods in Mukilteo area and noticed the cache out in the open with the lid partially opened. I took off the lid to reveal a partially eaten, MOLDY apple INSIDE the cache :surprise: ! Discusting! I dumped everything out and picked out the other contents, which all smelled like rotten apples, signed the the log, and put the cache in a spot where the owner could find it. Has anybody else ever found spoiled food in a cache?

Most likely, the cache had been muggled. Not all muggles steal the caches or pee in them. Can't say that I've found anything like that, but someone did once leave a tube of superglue in a cache of mine. The tube had burst, making the container and all the swag quite useless.

Edited by knowschad

Today I was looking for a cache in the woods in Mukilteo area and noticed the cache out in the open with the lid partially opened. I took off the lid to reveal a partially eaten, MOLDY apple INSIDE the cache :surprise: ! Discusting! I dumped everything out and picked out the other contents, which all smelled like rotten apples, signed the the log, and put the cache in a spot where the owner could find it. Has anybody else ever found spoiled food in a cache?

Yep, as well as many things that don't do well in caches. paper, those little bubble soap containers are the worst, play-dough, candy.

We found some Hershey's kisses once. Fortunately they hadn't yet melted and gotten all over the cache. In one of the last caches I found, there was a little baggie labeled "organic catnip". :blink: I have no idea if it was truly catnip, and wasn't about to try and figure it out, so just left it alone.

We came across a cacher who apparently leaves (themed) candy as a signature item. We removed them from every cache that we found. To their defense, none of it has (seemingly) gone bad or caused other problems in over a year.

It was funny the first eighteen times!

I've only used it about 4 times. It just seems like more since about 3 of them were tonight.

You're fairly new here. If you want to contribute in a positive way you may have to respond to the same topic dozens of times because there is always someone newer. When you do respond consider that the poster is probably a novice who came here with an earnest question and is asking for an earnest answer.

The above was said as a fellow geocacher because I do not moderate this forum.

I've only used it about 4 times. It just seems like more since about 3 of them were tonight.

You're fairly new here. If you want to contribute in a positive way you may have to respond to the same topic dozens of times because there is always someone newer. When you do respond consider that the poster is probably a novice who came here with an earnest question and is asking for an earnest answer.

I must agree with you, but although I'm sure it won't happen, it seriously might be both useful and a bit humorous to put is "schedule" as a sticky thread. It really is somewhat like an FAQ, although containing only the questions and not the answers.

jcacher15 is not a novice.

Back on-topic........

Found a leaking 5-hour energy drink in a cache. Rubber bands -- some melt (or rot into a slimy mess) and really gum up the works (oops)!

Have found some unknown leaks (not leeks) in caches, finally figured out that it was soap for blowin' bubbles. Corroded and leaking AA batteries -- I guess the cacher needed to change batteries and thought better of carrying out the used ones.

He doesn't have many posts though, and may be new to the forums--and therefore unaware of "insider" jokes.

Yep, as well as many things that don't do well in caches. paper, those little bubble soap containers are the worst, play-dough, candy.

Aaaaaaaargh! soap bubbles!

these ALWAYS pop open! :smile:

But only has three posts on the forums, so could be described as a novice forum user...

Yes, sounds like the cache was muggled.

It has been discussed many times.

Problems are

1. If they are cachers, probably newbies, not reading guidelines and they maybe not looking at the forums so unless you know who it is and can't advise them not to do it, they will continue doing it.

2. A cacher who wants to do it on purpose.

3. A muggle who now knows there is a cache there and may come back to do it again.

I have seen candy, dog snacks, fireworks, knives, bullets, personal hygiene such as tampons and condoms, I even found a joint with a note asking to exchange for another one.

Funny it should just take common sense on what you should not put in a cache.

Edited by jellis

Problems are

1. If they are cachers, probably newbies, not reading guidelines and they maybe not looking at the forums so unless you know who it is and can't advise them not to do it, they will continue doing it.

3. A muggle who now knows there is a cache there and may come back to do it again.

I have seen candy, dog snacks, fireworks, knives, bullets, personal hygiene such as tampons and condoms, I even found a joint with a note asking to exchange for another one.

But have you ever found a LOADED GUN in a cache? I have!

Problems are

A loaded Gun? Seriously. Who in the world puts a loaded gun in a cache? What kind of gun was it?

nope, he gets bored easily and calls at strange times wanting to cache, but not a novice.

whether the food was a problem or not in a cache, I always remove them without hesitation when I see them in caches. Home made cookies. Gum. Have had some things really stink up caches, most just sit there, getting stale and moldy at the same rate the baseball cards and other items.

Edited by lamoracke

Problems are

A loaded Gun? Seriously. Who in the world puts a loaded gun in a cache? What kind of gun was it?

A little 22 but it was real and worked too[i shot it]

found in ammobox hide in north mountain preserve.

Problems are

A little 22 but it was real and worked too[i shot it]

found in ammobox hide in north mountain preserve.

Wow..... Never thought of that happening.... Did you take it?? :D If you find a gun and want to trade, what do you leave as swag??? :lol:

Hello! I haven't found food yet. I really don't think that caching perishable food is a good idea. But I think leaving MRE's is a good idea. They last a long time and it will provide nourishment for a hungry cacher. I plan to place a few MRE caches when the weather gets cooler here in Georgia.

Hello! I haven't found food yet. I really don't think that caching perishable food is a good idea. But I think leaving MRE's is a good idea. They last a long time and it will provide nourishment for a hungry cacher. I plan to place a few MRE caches when the weather gets cooler here in Georgia.

Please don't.

Please don't.

Agreed. Don't leave food, whatever the type, in caches for 2 reasons.

1. A geocacher won't eat the food they find in a cache.

2. It attracts animals. They go through the caches and mess them up.

Food is never a good idea...

I've seen what happens when wildlife learns about MREs. It isn't pretty.

Hmm, I never thought about it that way... I get the point. Thanks!

Hmm, I never thought about it that way... I get the point. Thanks!

In Basic the skunks would walk right up to people sleeping and steal their MREs out of their less then ideally closed rucksacks. And bears will try and take just about anything with food in it, that is why bear canisters are designed to bounce.

I found a baggie of LDS tabs on in a cache at my university. I opened the baggie and threw them in the Koi pond.

Mormon tabs? Did all of the Koi start wearing black neckties and riding bicycles?

Then they start drinking diet cola and eating apples.

Wait for it,,,,,,,

Mormon Tab and Apple Choir

Thank you Ladies and Germs ,,,,,, But seriously,,, Im here all week,, Try the Veal :grin:

I have to agree with you . . . and yet, there was a Reese's peanut candy in one cache,

and I was really hungry, so I ate it.

Tongue swoll up and I about died . . .

No, just kidding. I ate it but wondered how dumb I was being.

:blink:

Maybe for every moron who puts food in a cache, there is an equal number of

morons who will eat it!

Actually I'm opposed because it can attract vermin and bugs which can really

ruin the contents of a cache.

Please don't.

Hmm... I did make the mistake of putting bubble soap in my frst hide. Guess I ddn't know better. Four years later when I did maintenance, the bubble soap was still there and had not popped open, nor caused any problem. Guess I got lazy soap bubbles?

I have to agree with you . . . and yet, there was a Reese's peanut candy in one cache,

and I was really hungry, so I ate it.

Tongue swoll up and I about died . . .

No, just kidding. I ate it but wondered how dumb I was being.

:blink:

Maybe for every moron who puts food in a cache, there is an equal number of

morons who will eat it!

Actually I'm opposed because it can attract vermin and bugs which can really

ruin the contents of a cache.

Please don't.

Haha. But I think that the people who eat the food are crazier than the people who put it there. If it didn't ruin the cache, I would probably put it there just to see what moron would eat it... :D

Hmm... I did make the mistake of putting bubble soap in my frst hide. Guess I ddn't know better. Four years later when I did maintenance, the bubble soap was still there and had not popped open, nor caused any problem. Guess I got lazy soap bubbles?

you didn't buy yours at a dollar store obviously.

I'm so glad I read this thread, I never knew that bubbles were a bad idea... I'll admit to adding a bottle once, but it was a standard size with a screw on lid and the person had a note advising he was taking the cache down the following weekend, so hopefully it didn't cause any issues.

I feel kinda dumb now though, it would never have crossed my mind that it would have been a poor choice.

I'm so glad I read this thread, I never knew that bubbles were a bad idea... I'll admit to adding a bottle once, but it was a standard size with a screw on lid and the person had a note advising he was taking the cache down the following weekend, so hopefully it didn't cause any issues.I feel kinda dumb now though, it would never have crossed my mind that it would have been a poor choice.

Me too! I'm just preparing my first cache ready to place and put some bubbles in there, just this minute gone and taken then out, Thanks :)

Not food in one of mine, but before it was stolen, one of my caches, the log book got tossed outside of a shelter the cache was hidden in, and a used Dog poop bag put inside.. Another cacher found the log book, and rehid it til I could go check..

The worse I ever saw, personally, was a cache put under a storm drain pipe, that had several candy mints, and you guessed it, the container leaked. (and the ants were having a field day!)