Why does GC.com only allow five PQs a day?

For a really long trip...

and 5000 isn't even enough because my gps holds 10,000...

See, you should have bought the Garmin. Then you wouldn't have this problem. Garmin's high end units only hold 5000 geocaches.

A serious answer to you question is : server load.

A workaround to your problem is : better planning, or better selection of caches.

I can tell you from personal experience that, if your family doesn't care for caching, they'll get really tired of "oh, there's a cache there" every 2 minutes really, really fast.

I understand that this is for a trip that you will soon be going on. I also understand that your parents, unfortunately, don't share your relish for geocaching. So, my guess is that you would be doing a tiny fraction of the 10000 or so caches that you are wanting in pocket queries, right? It doesn't sound like a very efficient way to waypoint the few caches that you are likely to get, Jacob.

Why not see if there are any rest area cache bookmarks for the major roads that you will be travelling on. Then, run queries for the towns that you will be stopping for the night at. Work smarter, not harder.

This is what really bothers me. Why are people against choice?

This question keeps coming up because people want to have the choice of getting whatever number of caches in one PQ for whatever reason. Its called having a choice!

Why is this such a hard concept to accept by some folks that automatically gon the defensive and attack the OP?

Everybody reasons to have access to that many caches is different. Why not give them the choice?

This question keeps coming up because people want to have the choice of getting whatever number of caches in one PQ for whatever reason. Its called having a choice!

Why is this such a hard concept to accept by some folks that automatically gon the defensive and attack the OP?

Everybody reasons to have access to that many caches is different. Why not give them the choice?

Was it a suggestion or a complaint?

You can either purchase a system you can access on the road, or pony up an extra 60 buck a years to cover your request.

Here's your solution: the Inmarsat BGAN terminal.

In your situation, I would recommend one of the mobile terminals which mount to the roof of your vehicle. The terminal can connect directly to the ethernet port of your laptop, or it can connect to a wireless access point allowing your family to share the connection. The data rates can be a little severe, compared to a smartphone data plan, so you'll have to go over the available packages with your parents.

Everybody reasons to have access to that many caches is different.

Such as?

Edited by Ambient_Skater

Attacks? What attacks? Who is attacking whom here?

Against choice? Where did you see those things? There is a limit to the number of pocket queries because they cause a load on the system. It is not about choice... the choice is to run fewer than five if you wish. Life has its limits.

Against choice? Where did you see those things? There is a limit to the number of pocket queries because they cause a load on the system. It is not about choice... the choice is to run fewer than five if you wish. Life has its limits.

I serisouly doubt that server load is the reason behind the PQ limits. I think it's more about Groundspeak protecting "their" data.

So he is going to load up on 10,000 caches and if he actually manages to find 65 he will double his total. Maybe a little better planning would work.

To say nothing of the likelihood that he should be able to use a friend/relative's computer somewhere along the line. I am leaving for 8 weeks and don't need that many queries.

As to the BEGAN terminal a less expensive system might be a cheap netbook ($300) and a Verizon MiFi card that can be turned on and off by the month.

Edited by Walts Hunting
As to the BEGAN terminal a less expensive system might be a cheap netbook ($300) and a Verizon MiFi card that can be turned on and off by the month.

But the BGAN is no fancy air card... it's a SATELLITE modem. I'm not sure exactly where the OP will be going, but on our trip we were in plenty of areas without cell coverage.

I serisouly doubt that server load is the reason behind the PQ limits. I think it's more about Groundspeak protecting "their" data.

Valid point to be sure. Regardless of the reason, life has its limits. Setting limits is not "against choice".