JEEKS?

Urban dictionary shows that as the primary definition of "JEEK"

In geocaching, the global scavenger hunt game played with a GPS, jeek is the name for the "treasure" you find.

My girlfriend wants to take me jeeking, should I go?

In my circle of friends, its just "caching" and "cache". Just as easy to say as "jeeking" and "jeek" and it sound much less jeekey*!!

*Definition #2 is a cross between a jock and a geek, with the empahsis on geek

We should start calling trees 'muns'. It makes just as much sense as calling caches 'jeeks' (which is to say no sense at all).

I see the logic in it. "JEE" from "G" (gee) and the "K" from the hard "C" in "cache.

By the way, is "I hate the word, "muggles" on the schedule, Ambient Skater? If so, you may want to add "and the word JEEK" to it.

This is from UTAG (Utah Association of Geocachers) facebook page.

Original Post

Rick Scheve-Snownomi

I never liked my username so I'm thinking of changing it from Snownomi to McLovin. Anybody got any thoughts on that?

June 16 at 11:27pm via Mobile Web · Like · · Subscribe

Comments on Post

Allison Kelly how about crouton

June 16 at 11:31pm · Like

Laurene Delacruz Vickers How about Jeek Finder? No - I really like Snownomi and hope that yo don't change it!

June 16 at 11:37pm · Like

Allison Kelly JEEK is not a word

June 16 at 11:40pm · Like

Laurene Delacruz Vickers Well, if you look at Snownomi's cache posts, he uses Jeek a lot. He said that is what they call geocaches down in St. George.

June 16 at 11:44pm · Like

Laurene Delacruz Vickers I guess you'd better let Snownomi know about this then.

June 16 at 11:47pm · Like

Allison Kelly actually only one cacher call them jeeks. everyone else calls them caches.

Friday at 12:01am · Like

Kim Kramer So you love McDonald's toys? LOL

Friday at 7:29am · Like

Rick Scheve-Snownomi I know of three jeekers that call em jeeks. One is my five year old. she found an empty decon container under my car seat and said,"hey, I found a jeek!" so funny!

Friday at 8:45am · Like

Rick Scheve-Snownomi Good point, Kim Kramer, I didn't think about that.

Friday at 5:47pm · Like

Derrick Branham I say Jeek!!!!!

Friday at 6:31pm · Like

Debra Goetsch Scarbrough If you are caching in So. Utah you must learn to speak "jeek". We are all geo-lingual cachers down here. Try to keep up....

Friday at 9:49pm · Like · 1 person

Allison Kelly i live in So utah and i know other cachers that live around here as well that despise the word. But you can keep thinking that if u wish to do so.

Friday at 9:58pm · Like

Paul Jensen ‎(To the Beach Boys song Barbara Ann)..... Jeek Jeek Jeek

Jeek Jeek Jeek Jeek.

@Allison: count me as a jeeker. The lingo of the game is evolving. When you get right down to it, geocache isn't really a word either!

Friday at 10:25pm · Like · 2 people

Paul Jensen ‎@Rick; I think McLovin has been taken by another nerd. Have you given any thought to McSnownomi? How about McJeekin?

Friday at 10:30pm · Like

Rick Scheve-Snownomi I really like McJeekin. Thanks

Friday at 10:45pm · Like · 1 person

Derrick Branham JEEK!!!!!!

Saturday at 9:30am · Like · 3 people

This is from UTAG (Utah Association of Geocachers) facebook page.

Original Post

Rick Scheve-Snownomi

I never liked my username so I'm thinking of changing it from Snownomi to McLovin. Anybody got any thoughts on that?

June 16 at 11:27pm via Mobile Web · Like · · Subscribe

Comments on Post

Allison Kelly how about crouton

June 16 at 11:31pm · Like

Laurene Delacruz Vickers How about Jeek Finder? No - I really like Snownomi and hope that yo don't change it!

June 16 at 11:37pm · Like

Allison Kelly JEEK is not a word

June 16 at 11:40pm · Like

Laurene Delacruz Vickers Well, if you look at Snownomi's cache posts, he uses Jeek a lot. He said that is what they call geocaches down in St. George.

June 16 at 11:44pm · Like

Laurene Delacruz Vickers I guess you'd better let Snownomi know about this then.

June 16 at 11:47pm · Like

Allison Kelly actually only one cacher call them jeeks. everyone else calls them caches.

Friday at 12:01am · Like

Kim Kramer So you love McDonald's toys? LOL

Friday at 7:29am · Like

Rick Scheve-Snownomi I know of three jeekers that call em jeeks. One is my five year old. she found an empty decon container under my car seat and said,"hey, I found a jeek!" so funny!

Friday at 8:45am · Like

Rick Scheve-Snownomi Good point, Kim Kramer, I didn't think about that.

Friday at 5:47pm · Like

Derrick Branham I say Jeek!!!!!

Friday at 6:31pm · Like

Debra Goetsch Scarbrough If you are caching in So. Utah you must learn to speak "jeek". We are all geo-lingual cachers down here. Try to keep up....

Friday at 9:49pm · Like · 1 person

Allison Kelly i live in So utah and i know other cachers that live around here as well that despise the word. But you can keep thinking that if u wish to do so.

Friday at 9:58pm · Like

Paul Jensen ‎(To the Beach Boys song Barbara Ann)..... Jeek Jeek Jeek

Jeek Jeek Jeek Jeek.

@Allison: count me as a jeeker. The lingo of the game is evolving. When you get right down to it, geocache isn't really a word either!

Friday at 10:25pm · Like · 2 people

Paul Jensen ‎@Rick; I think McLovin has been taken by another nerd. Have you given any thought to McSnownomi? How about McJeekin?

Friday at 10:30pm · Like

Rick Scheve-Snownomi I really like McJeekin. Thanks

Friday at 10:45pm · Like · 1 person

Derrick Branham JEEK!!!!!!

Saturday at 9:30am · Like · 3 people

Maybe you can be the one to let 'em know that we're all laughing at them! :lol:

(counting his 5 year old as one of three that use the term? :huh: I suppose he is counting himself as one of the three, as well?)

I KNOW, huh? So hilarious. Got to get all dem JEEEEEEKS! The fact that some hate it makes it even more funny. :laughing:

I don't hate it, I just think it's stupid.

It's like the folks who get tattoos and face jewelry, it just screams out "Hey look at me I'm a freak who doesn't care what you think, so pay attention to me."

Yeah, same thing. Ho hum. Nothing to hate, just feel sorry for them and move on.

Replace the second E of jeek with an R and you'll know what I'll call people who call caches jeeks. <_<

Oh MY! Sounds like a bit of verbal abuse being dished out.

Well if that's what you want call it then you don't have to be such a JEEK about it.

We should start calling trees 'muns'. It makes just as much sense as calling caches 'jeeks' (which is to say no sense at all).

What makes you think it's really a cache when there is nothing inside except a tiny piece of paper to write your name on? I'd say that a cache is something with some swag in it and a jeek is a micro. Seems more dicriptive to me. You stiff necks need to get with the new hip geo-way to speak.

What makes you think it's really a cache when there is nothing inside except a tiny piece of paper to write your name on? I'd say that a cache is something with some swag in it and a jeek is a micro. Seems more dicriptive to me. You stiff necks need to get with the new hip geo-way to speak.

I'll stick with English, thank you.

Seven Days Without A Jeek

Jeek Run

Jeek in the Box

Hide and Jeek

Looks to me like a term made up by one or two cachers jeekers. I would be very surprised if it caught on and spread.

That's it. I'll show you! I'm changing ALL the names of my caches/jeeks to have the word JEEK in the name.

Aha! St. George, UT, huh?

What do you mean by "you will show me", though? What will you show me... that the term did actually catch on and spread because you read my post? :blink: I really don't care.

Seven Days Without A Jeek

Jeek Run

Jeek in the Box

Hide and Jeek

Looks to me like a term made up by one or two cachers jeekers. I would be very surprised if it caught on and spread.

That's it. I'll show you! I'm changing ALL the names of my caches/jeeks to have the word JEEK in the name.

Aha! St. George, UT, huh?

What do you mean by "you will show me", though? What will you show me... that the term did actually catch on and spread because you read my post? :blink: I really don't care.

Twin Cities, MN, huh? Oh crap! I didn't realize that I was dealing with such a self imposed intellectual elitist. I am so sorry.

I HATE it. I am even more glad I don't live in Utah than before.

Glad you're not here.

Why? Because I hate the term JEEK. They have been called caches for 10 years, Why try and change it?

Same reason why directories are now called folders?

Edited by dfx

Glad you're not here.

Why? Because I hate the term JEEK. They have been called caches for 10 years, Why try and change it?

Hey you're the one that started in on someplace that you don't live. You said it, not me, so own it. If you don't like So. Utah that's fine with us. We'll do just fine with you. Won't even know your not here, so it's all good. Why are you letting this get to you so badly that you have to start disrespecting fellow jeekers? Makes me wonder if when you come through here if you will start muggling our jeeks.

Glad you're not here.

Hey you're the one that started in on someplace that you don't live. You said it, not me, so own it. If you don't like So. Utah that's fine with us. We'll do just fine with you. Won't even know your not here, so it's all good. Why are you letting this get to you so badly that you have to start disrespecting fellow jeekers? Makes me wonder if when you come through here if you will start muggling our jeeks.

LOL! Disagreeing with the term, "Jeeks" has nothing at all to do with liking, loving, hating, or not caring about South Utah, North Utah, or Lower Slobbovia.

Surely you forgot the smiley on that post. Please tell me you did.

Glad you're not here.

You really should read that aloud. It may help you understand just how ridiculous it sounds.

I think its way too silly of a term to take even remotely seriously.

I totally agree with you. Sometime it's just kind of fun to get a little silly. Nothing to start getting all worked up over. It ain't nothin' but a jeek!

I totally agree with you. Sometime it's just kind of fun to get a little silly. Nothing to start getting all worked up over. It ain't nothin' but a jeek!

You misunderstand my post. I don't like the word. It sounds like something a teen would say.

I'm with the poster who thought they were coming in here to read about obsessed four wheeling guys with a pocket protectors, but I thought it would be a discussion on Jeep caching.

I'm not particularly enamored with it as a term for caching.

You misunderstand my post. I don't like the word. It sounds like something a teen would say.

I think that you misunderstood what you said. What part of "I totally agree with you," didn't you understand?

I'm headed to Geowoodstock 9 in a few days. There should be somewhere between 3000-5000 geocachers attending based on previous years. If this thread is still active after July 4, I'll report back with a count of how many people I hear referring to geocaches as jeeks.

I'm headed to Geowoodstock 9 in a few days. There should be somewhere between 3000-5000 geocachers attending based on previous years. If this thread is still active after July 4, I'll report back with a count of how many people I hear referring to geocaches as jeeks.

That would be totally jeeky! Be sure that you speak to all 3000-5000 of them and then report back. Most likely what you'll be hearing is "HEY YA'LL! Got to get all dem GEEE0OH-CACHES!" The fact that some hate it makes it even more funny. :laughing:

THANKS!

Get a JEEKER tshirt or ballcap made up and see how many people know what it means.

Get a JEEKER tshirt or ballcap made up and see how many people know what it means.

If the 3000-5000 at Geowoodstock are anything like the people on this topic I'd think long and hard about the t-shirt or hat. Wearing something like that could get you beaten by a geo-mob, or at the very least spat upon.

JEEKERS OF THE WORLD ARISE! :anitongue:

That would be totally jeeky! Be sure that you speak to all 3000-5000 of them and then report back. Most likely what you'll be hearing is "HEY YA'LL! Got to get all dem GEEE0OH-CACHES!" The fact that some hate it makes it even more funny. :laughing:

THANKS!

Wow, you blew up a perfectly good three year old sock for that? :blink:

I'll show you! I'm changing ALL the names of my caches/jeeks to have the word JEEK in the name.

. . . . . .. . . . . . . . . . . ,.-‘”. . . . . . . . . .``~.,

. . . . . . . .. . . . . .,.-”. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .“-.,

. . . . .. . . . . . ..,/. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ”:,

. . . . . . . .. .,?. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\,

. . . . . . . . . /. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,}

. . . . . . . . ./. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:`^`.}

. . . . . . . ./. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:”. . . ./

. . . . . . .?. . . __. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :`. . . ./

. . . . . . . /__.(. . .“~-,_. . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:`. . . .. ./

. . . . . . /(_. . ”~,_. . . ..“~,_. . . . . . . . . .,:`. . . . _/

. . . .. .{.._$;_. . .”=,_. . . .“-,_. . . ,.-~-,}, .~”; /. .. .}

. . .. . .((. . .*~_. . . .”=-._. . .“;,,./`. . /” . . . ./. .. ../

. . . .. . .\`~,. . ..“~.,. . . . . . . . . ..`. . .}. . . . . . ../

. . . . . .(. ..`=-,,. . . .`. . . . . . . . . . . ..(. . . ;_,,-”

. . . . . ../.`~,. . ..`-.. . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..\. . /\

. . . . . . \`~.*-,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..|,./.....\,__

,,_. . . . . }.>-._\. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .|. . . . . . ..`=~-,

. .. `=~-,_\_. . . `\,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\

. . . . . . . . . .`=~-,,.\,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . `:,, . . . . . . . . . . . . . `\. . . . . . ..__

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .`=-,. . . . . . . . . .,%`>--

Yeah, that'll show us.

I'll show you! I'm changing ALL the names of my caches/jeeks to have the word JEEK in the name.

. . . . . .. . . . . . . . . . . ,.-‘”. . . . . . . . . .``~.,

. . . . . . . .. . . . . .,.-”. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .“-.,

. . . . .. . . . . . ..,/. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ”:,

. . . . . . . .. .,?. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\,

. . . . . . . . . /. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,}

. . . . . . . . ./. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:`^`.}

. . . . . . . ./. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:”. . . ./

. . . . . . .?. . . __. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :`. . . ./

. . . . . . . /__.(. . .“~-,_. . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:`. . . .. ./

. . . . . . /(_. . ”~,_. . . ..“~,_. . . . . . . . . .,:`. . . . _/

. . . .. .{.._$;_. . .”=,_. . . .“-,_. . . ,.-~-,}, .~”; /. .. .}

. . .. . .((. . .*~_. . . .”=-._. . .“;,,./`. . /” . . . ./. .. ../

. . . .. . .\`~,. . ..“~.,. . . . . . . . . ..`. . .}. . . . . . ../

. . . . . .(. ..`=-,,. . . .`. . . . . . . . . . . ..(. . . ;_,,-”

. . . . . ../.`~,. . ..`-.. . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..\. . /\

. . . . . . \`~.*-,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..|,./.....\,__

,,_. . . . . }.>-._\. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .|. . . . . . ..`=~-,

. .. `=~-,_\_. . . `\,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\

. . . . . . . . . .`=~-,,.\,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . `:,, . . . . . . . . . . . . . `\. . . . . . ..__

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .`=-,. . . . . . . . . .,%`>--

Yeah, that'll show us.

Uhhh... I was only kidding, it would be too jeeky.

That's pretty cool. What is it? All I can make out is a left hand.

I'm with the poster who thought they were coming in here to read about obsessed four wheeling guys with a pocket protectors, but I thought it would be a discussion on Jeep caching.

I'm not particularly enamored with it as a term for caching.

It suggests that Geocachers are "geeks", or that the caches themselves are something like "Jeeps". A has both a backhanded insult and added confusion. What's not to like?

I missed this the first time around. Too funny!

jeek.com is available. I think this may have legs enough that Groundspeak should grab it.

Or, opencaching.com. I was actually sort of surprised to see that they use the word "geocache" over there.

Geeze, they could have called themselves, "openjeeking.com" :lol: