Injured while caching?

Have you ever been injured while caching?

The biggest injury was to my pride when I fell in a stream.

I've seen fellow cachers with scars, scabs, scratches.

Show us your photos.

This is my only documented injury: a series of welts and blisters that itched like crazy for half an hour. Got it while crawling through bushes looking for a hanger.

blisters563.jpg

I'm writing this while at home with a broken right leg. Broke my fibula on May 19th while searching for a cache on a hill. It was a wet month so the wet leaves on damp clay soil turned out to be my downfall, literally. I was able to get up, hop back to the car by grabbing trees for support. Good thing the car was only about 20 feet away. I drove myself to a variety to store for ice and then to emergency for a cast and crutches. 4 more weeks and I should be driving again, which means geocaching again.....YEAH! :lol:

may252011-air-cast.jpg?w=300&h=278

On of my favorite Phone-A-Friend calls came from my friend Moonsilver. He's asking for a hint on a cache that is down a steep incline above a creek. As he's saying something like "I think I'm above it..." I hear this gasp and the sounds of what I later learned was him tumbling down the hill. I heard him grunt a time or two when he bounced off trees and rocks and such, a bit of silence, then a groan. I was laughing almost too hard to hold the phone when I heard him say "Aww, dammit!". Yup, he was in the creek. He was fine, a bit scratched and banged. He's never quit telling the story of me laughing at him.

I went for a FTF on Bill the Cat - GC16NPK. It was a 3 1/2 by 3 rating. :grin: It took us 3 days to finish this cache and through my 2 kids were unscaved I had slid down a hill about 20 feet with my GPS in my back pocket, Huge bruse, GPS is safe. :laughing: Got Chiggers for the first time, not fun. And cut my arms & face in I don't know how many places trying to get threw bushes (on the wrong side of the hill) in my excitement to get to the final stage. :anitongue: It was fun and I loved the challenge but found out I am allergic to Chiggers! :anicute: All the bites swelled up like big red misquito bites and drove me crazy for over a week. They burned and I had to put cream on them to keep the swelling down. :yikes:

Other than that I have had a tree branch break and hit me in the eye. That reeeeallly hurt. :blink: And then there was the time I walked out on a dead tree hanging over the Sacremento River trying to find a cache. I tossed the kids the cell phone and GPS and said, If I fall in Vdellia call 911 and Orion give them our cords. After I found the cache, I could climb out the same way and I had to jump. :sad: Well, it hurt and I had a swolen ankle for almost a month and I bruised my heel so I didn't get out much for 2 weeks. :lol:

No broken bones just fun stories of my blunders. :D

Safe Geocaching All, .:.Rain.:. :P

My worst was incurred not on a steep hillside or in the deep woods but in a parking lot. The cache was a magnetic key container placed in plain sight about 10' up on a lamp post (and it's been there a year and a half!). I don't even know how I managed it but somehow I slammed my thumb against the lamp post, bending and breaking my thumbnail about halfway across the nail, right across the middle of the quick. The cut underneath bled for a few minutes, and it hurt for a day or three, but for over a month after I had a Band-Aid over that thumb to keep the broken nail from snagging on things until it finally grew out to the point I could cut the broken part off.

I did not attempt this cache while it was active, for what seem to me to be obvious reasons.

I'm writing this while at home with a broken right leg. Broke my fibula on May 19th while searching for a cache on a hill. It was a wet month so the wet leaves on damp clay soil turned out to be my downfall, literally. I was able to get up, hop back to the car by grabbing trees for support. Good thing the car was only about 20 feet away. I drove myself to a variety to store for ice and then to emergency for a cast and crutches. 4 more weeks and I should be driving again, which means geocaching again.....YEAH! :lol:

Sorry! Hope you get better soon!

Sorry! Hope you get better soon!

Thanks. I'm already much better. End of week 4 and I'm more mobile and more independent. I'm glad to see that broken bones appear to be a rare occurrence while geocaching.

I tore my achilles tendon caching. Actually I partially tore it playing soccer but it was misdiagnosed by the doctor. He put me in a boot for a month and I took it off to go caching. I stepped the wrong way on a root and it felt like something whacked me on the back of my foot. I turned around and there was nothing there. It was my achilles tearing the rest of the way. Thankfully I was a short distance from the car. Had it happened earlier I would have had to walk over a mile with one foot not quite working properly.

Edited by briansnat

I went sliding down a hill and hand-planted into a saguaro....

Had a stupid woman on a trail with a pit bull that got out of the collar (wasn't on a choke chain), attack our dog, bit my husband, I fell backwards trying to save our dog, both dogs some how were on top of me....it was UGLY....

Out on an ATV, went around a corner on the trail, hubby thought the gas was the brake, went straight into a tree/prickly bush thing

Two minor injuries so far. I had 1 major one that did include falling on a rock, but it would be a stretch to say it was while geocaching. :)

1. I was near the top of a peak in Arizona and must have taken the wrong way to reach the very top. I had to climb about 15-20 feet of almost vertical rock. About 1/2 way up, I slipped and fell and landed on my hands. Even though I was wearing thick canvas garden gloves, I had a cast-off from a barrel cactus impale the meaty part of my palm. That hurt! :)

2. I'm 43 and haven't climbed a tree since I was a kid. Well - until about 2 weeks ago that is. :) On the way down, I scraped my leg a little bit.

The major one was indeed a fall on rocks about 3 months ago and led to a herniated disc in my neck and a rotator cuff injury. It was immediately after a geocaching trip but I was no longer searching for a cache. I'm still dealing with the rotator cuff injury. I needed to get 3 steroid epidurals for the herniated disc.

Edited by Redfist

Bee stings, large scrape along one knee and calf, numerous bruises. There are four of us that usually cache together and we never count a caching day a success unless someone is bleeding. To quote the movie title, "There will be blood."

The biggest injury was to my pride when I fell in a stream.

I've seen fellow cachers with scars, scabs, scratches.

Show us your photos.

This is my only documented injury: a series of welts and blisters that itched like crazy for half an hour. Got it while crawling through bushes looking for a hanger.

blisters563.jpg

I get hives like this just about every time I go for a geocache because of my allergies.

The other day I was stung by a black Wasp. I had a welt that was about 4" in diameter. I took Benadryl immediately.

Several hours later I went to show my wife and have her take a picture of the painful monster of a welt on my back. She pokes at a spot on my back and says "Is this the spot?" It hurt so bad when she poked it, I almost fall to my knees. Then, she tells me that the sting looks like a pimple. The swelling went down apparently. So, my wife thinks I was just being a little pansy.

I have had the normal scrapes etc. but 4 years ago my wife got a tick bite caching in South Dakota and ended up with Rocky Mountain spotted fever, took her about 3 years to get over that and then we were caching in Utah and she stepped off a log and slipped and broke her ankle. But she is still game to keep on the caching trail. We just spent the month of May caching in 23 European countries.

I am with FolsomNatural - my pride was damaged when I slipped in the mud next to a river last weekend. Didn't fall into the river - thank goodness - it was stinky. I did rinse off my arm - hoping not to catch any infectious disease - so far so good. No one was around, but I crossed paths with several folks after that with my mud covered pants on. Note to self: Cache bag needs a change of clothes. The best part was the cache wasn't even remotely near there. I wasn't paying very good attention - but I did find it:D

PS Chiggers LOVE me!

Edited by shunshinex3

Shelle and I were caching in Graham, TX, partway through a great autumn roadtrip. Had a bit of misfortune after looking for 'Grandma's First Cache' (GC2KZQR). I'll let the pics and the logs tell the story.

819983d9-ef46-47c8-9c75-abd9ff3b78f2.jpg

Upon arrival at the ER.

970482ae-6d18-4ed3-8b0a-91f5e17f41f0.jpg

The bad news: comminuted distal radius fracture.

89311313-abcb-4de4-89f9-c543cc920222.jpg

After surgical repair of the fracture.

Shelle's log for the cache:

OMG!!!!! Where to begin on this one. GMartinTX and I have been eyeing this cache ever since it came out. Some friends had found it before and the cache stories that were told. We left Wichita Falls this cold morning to get your Dads cache and this one. There were a few other caches on the list but..... Getting to GZ is a gymnastic feat but we made it without anything other than a few briar sticks. The GPS's were all over the place but they finally settled in one area. We thought we knew where to look but kept coming up empty. We did see an empty budlight can near where we thought the cache would be. We used the PAF option and called Papa. Our fears that the cache was gone was confirmed. Darn,,, bummer what can be worse than a hiked in DNF???? I will soon tell and post pic.lol Since the area was a good place for a photo opt. I took a picture of G searching the area for the cache. We headed back to the cachemobile. I took one way and he headed back another. I had just reached the cachemobile when I heard a yell. Not the kind you like to hear when caching as in "I found it". It was one of those yells that you have to decide do I call 9-1-1 now or do I wait to get to cacher. It is in that instant that you know someone is going to the hospital. I made my way back to G and yep you don't need to be a doctor to know that his arm was broke. We slowly made our way back to the cachemoble. I searched the nuvi for the nearest hospital while he smoked a much needed cigarette. As luck would have it, it was only 0.3 miles away. The nice lady checked him in and off into the ER we went. The x-ray confirmed what we already knew. After some meds and an arm brace complete with sling, we were off to one last cache before heading home to find a local doctor to cast his arm. To say the least we had an adventure that we will never forget.

Mine:

This is by far the most painful DNF I have ever experienced. Literally. After scouring the area for about 30 minutes, Shelle and I finally broke down and used a lifeline, enlisting a phone-a-friend hint to help get this bugger found. Finally came to accept that this one is MIA. An empty beer can stuck on a limb very near to GZ led us think a muggle may have stumbled across it. That was disappointing, yes. But not painful. That occured on the way back to the Dingo. Took a tumble into a gulley, amongst the rocks, resulting in a fractured left arm. Happy to report the Graham ER staff are very courteous, speedy and professional. Unhappy to report I am now on a caching hiatus for a few weeks. This is a DNF I certainly hope to avenge...

Yeah, we hunted a nearby cache after leaving the ER. It was the last one in Graham that was on our list, a simple PnG, so why not? LOL, there's always gotta be 'just one more'... As far as 'Grandma's First Cache' - you can bet the farm we'll be back for the smiley when I heal. Shelle and I both love avenging DNF's, so this one will be particularily sweet :)

I was once out caching with a buddy of mine in an old abandoned factory. :ph34r:

The cache was a climbing multi and one stage required that you climb up to the attic and move all the way to its end, where the coords for the next station were.

As we got to the attic, I already saw that we shouldn't touch the ground there, so instead we walked on the supporting beams. :wacko:

Suddenly I heard a noise (it was pitch black up there and only our flashlights gave a little light) and told my buddy to stop.

So there we are, balancing on the beams, listening for any sounds, when I see a guy with a headlamp coming through a little door in the wall to our right. :blink:

I jumped a little bit, wich caused my buddy to spin around and be blinded by the other guys headlight and that caused him to loose balance. :yikes:

So next thing I see is him falling backwards, hitting the floor of the attic, wood breaking, dust flying around, he's just screaming and crashes right through the floorboards. :shocked:

I looked through the hole and saw him flat on his back atop a huge old cabinet.

The other guy and I quickly jumped down to see if he was alright, and thats when we saw the blood. :o

My buddy had ripped his arm open pretty bad and was bleeding, but fortunately I always have my medipack with me, so we wrapped his arm up, finished the cache (together with the other guy who turned out to be a pretty famous local cacher) and went home to fix my buddy up. B)

In hindsight, it was funny, but it was just weird at that moment sitting there in the dark bandaging my buddys torn-up arm. :blink:

I think that was the worst so far for us :laughing:

On of my favorite Phone-A-Friend calls came from my friend Moonsilver. He's asking for a hint on a cache that is down a steep incline above a creek. As he's saying something like "I think I'm above it..." I hear this gasp and the sounds of what I later learned was him tumbling down the hill. I heard him grunt a time or two when he bounced off trees and rocks and such, a bit of silence, then a groan. I was laughing almost too hard to hold the phone when I heard him say "Aww, dammit!". Yup, he was in the creek. He was fine, a bit scratched and banged. He's never quit telling the story of me laughing at him.

So did he find it?

We were caching on an allegedly 1.5 terrain cache. We went up a steep dirt incline and then were looking in some high grass near some bushes trying to find this cache. I had turned around to look in a tree and heard a rustle. Turned back to see my friend disappear off the edge of a cliff apparently. Luckily it wasn't a long fall. He was watching where he was going too but due to the foliage couldn't see the edge. He came out bruised but all in all ok. Cache was the bottom of the cliff area (no 1.5 terrain route to get to that point... either required a climb up or fall down to get to the ledge).

Same friend kicked a ground nest of wasps this summer and got stung. I managed to stay unstung.

I've had a ton of scratches. A couple bouts of PI (blisters and all). Some skin tears. But all in all have stayed in one piece.

6fa30409-80f9-4464-8997-e1842ce4f0a9.jpg

Broke all three bones on my left arm at the elbow while on a geocaching hike with a group. I didn't finish the hike, and I was the organizer of the event :(

But did find 10 more caches and resolved at least one DNF on the way back to town and the emergency room. I'll remember that weekend for a LONG time!

Dang. I'm so jealous. Broke my right leg (fibulla) while caching so there was no way I could keep caching that day. Took 2 1/2 months before I could drive again.

Was bit by a copperhead snake on 6/22/2008. Some dates you just do not forget.

This is the day after the bite. The following day the doctor had to lance the swelling so that my finger did not split open. The bruising and swelling did not fully subside for a month. I still have some minor loss of sensation at the very tip.

361464b3-4114-45db-8af9-eb717b409888.jpg

Edited by wimseyguy

Took a hit from a cedar tree nubbin while at GCZZZY this was after cleaning it up a little. Happened in August and it is now a nice looking scar along my hairline.

2ff2c890-bb41-441f-8053-1a9394a6948c.jpg

I got one like that at GC1N50Z but farther back on top of my head. My Log: "Our air conditioner quit a couple days ago, and instead of sweltering at home in 100° heat we decided to go caching in the mountains where it would be 20° cooler. Found it easily, but gashed my scalp on a branch when I was getting up; I never really wanted to be a red-head--and certainly not like that. There were no trackables in the cache. TFTC"

I was once out caching with a buddy of mine in an old abandoned factory. :ph34r:

The cache was a climbing multi and one stage required that you climb up to the attic and move all the way to its end, where the coords for the next station were.

As we got to the attic, I already saw that we shouldn't touch the ground there, so instead we walked on the supporting beams. :wacko:

Suddenly I heard a noise (it was pitch black up there and only our flashlights gave a little light) and told my buddy to stop.

So there we are, balancing on the beams, listening for any sounds, when I see a guy with a headlamp coming through a little door in the wall to our right. :blink:

I jumped a little bit, wich caused my buddy to spin around and be blinded by the other guys headlight and that caused him to loose balance. :yikes:

So next thing I see is him falling backwards, hitting the floor of the attic, wood breaking, dust flying around, he's just screaming and crashes right through the floorboards. :shocked:

The other guy and I quickly jumped down to see if he was alright, and thats when we saw the blood. :o

My buddy had ripped his arm open pretty bad and was bleeding, but fortunately I always have my medipack with me, so we wrapped his arm up, finished the cache (together with the other guy who turned out to be a pretty famous local cacher) and went home to fix my buddy up. B)

In hindsight, it was funny, but it was just weird at that moment sitting there in the dark bandaging my buddys torn-up arm. :blink:

Should be archived since it's obviously too dangerous. :ph34r:

Was bit by a copperhead snake on 6/22/2008. Some dates you just do not forget.

This is the day after the bite. The following day the doctor had to lance the swelling so that my finger did not split open.

If that's not a photoshop, you win (or lose - yeccchhhhh).

Yikes !!!!!!!!

6fa30409-80f9-4464-8997-e1842ce4f0a9.jpg

Broke all three bones on my left arm at the elbow while on a geocaching hike with a group. I didn't finish the hike, and I was the organizer of the event :(

But did find 10 more caches and resolved at least one DNF on the way back to town and the emergency room. I'll remember that weekend for a LONG time!

That's an old pic! When did that happen?

I think we got us a "Winner!" So far, anyway.

Four weeks out of commission - Ouch! That's gotta sting! :o

After some meds and an arm brace complete with sling, we were off to one last cache before heading home to find a local doctor to cast his arm. To say the least we had an adventure that we will never forget.

Yeah, we hunted a nearby cache after leaving the ER. It was the last one in Graham that was on our list, a simple PnG, so why not?

This is my favorite part. You guys are hardcore :ph34r::DB)

I think we got us a "Winner!" So far, anyway.

Four weeks out of commission - Ouch! That's gotta sting! :o

8 weeks. Driving again July 10. First geocache after the break, July 17. Used an ankle brace and hiking stick and filtered out for Terrain 2 or less caches. Got a new respect for accurate terrain ratings.

I broke a rib mountain biking/geocaching. It was just an accident--didn't make it over the teeny-tiny tree across the trail. Oops. No need for anyone to get outraged, talk about changing safety requirements, slam the geocaching community for failing me or the like. I take full responsibility for my actions when I hit the trails. Besides, I was laughing hysterically when I body-slammed the ground. It was a pretty boneheaded thing to do.

Let's see:

1) Stung by nettles in the NJ marshland - that sucked!

2) Stung by several bees along the Delaware River Canal trail

3) Fell off a wall in Provincetown, MA

4) Hurt feet during steep climb in park in Springfield, PA

5) Sliced hand on sharp rock in Ireland

6) Numerous tree pokes, thorns, scratches, etc,

BUT NO POISON IVY!!!! I hate that stuff, so am extra careful.

Should be archived since it's obviously too dangerous. :ph34r:

The location actually burned down a couple months ago, thanks to some kiddies, so it is archived.