Where have you cached the most

I was messing around on my profile and stopped at my stats tab this AM. Looking at the maps spotted a very distinct trend. Only slightly more than 50% of my finds have been made in my home state of NC. The next five are CA/TN/TX/NV/WA. My trip out west in April to do the Route 66 and other trails explains CA & NV making the list, as well as trips to various Geowoodstocks in all those states except NV. I've also attended a few conferences in Las Vegas, and manage to get out for a day of caching when I'm there. FL is #6 where I went for GW3, and VA + SC my other two neighboring states are 7 & 8. SO no real surprises, except that TN was such a strong 3rd. But I've been to two Geowoodstocks there and my wife's family is there so that probably explains that count.

Where have you been finding caches away from home and why are those numbers so high?

NV/VA/CO/MA

My homestate of California makes up a little more than 70% of my finds. Followed by Nevada, where we often tack on a few fun days hiking the Red Rock area of Las Vegas, or Stateline/Lake Tahoe, to work trips. Next in line are seperate vacations: Virginia, Colorado and Massachusetts.

It went back and forth between Texas and Indiana for me (weird, I know). I'm a graduate student in Indiana, and I don't get to cache much up there, but I certainly spent a good chunk of last year up there. Then I'd come home to Texas for a vacation and my Texas numbers would quickly catch up with Indiana.

Now that I'm doing an internship in the DFW area, my Texas count is far surpassing Indiana. But then again, I have 8 more months of graduate school in Indiana coming up!

RI - 60%

CT - 18%

MA - 14% (home state)

My caching friends live in RI and apparently their passports are expired, so coming to MA is problematic. CT border patrol is flaky at best. :tongue:

Well no offense, but that's like driving to the next County for most of us. :lol:

Hah! None taken. It's easy to go state-to-state up here. And funny thing, I just returned from a business trip to PA--Gettysburg--and grabbed four states lickety-split while down there. Easy to do, too. PA, WV, VA and MD. I think that's the end of easy...have to turn in my easy button.

RI - 60%

CT - 18%

MA - 14% (home state)

My caching friends live in RI and apparently their passports are expired, so coming to MA is problematic. CT border patrol is flaky at best. :tongue:

Well no offense, but that's like driving to the next County for most of us. :lol:

Hah! None taken. It's easy to go state-to-state up here. And funny thing, I just returned from a business trip to PA--Gettysburg--and grabbed four states lickety-split while down there. Easy to do, too. PA, WV, VA and MD. I think that's the end of easy...have to turn in my easy button.

Good! Thanks for having a sense of humor. I have 10 finds in RI, but my last trip there was 2004, and I have no reason to return any time soon (Military duty, and I retired in '04). Even though I drove through Mass. to get there, and I could have taken a 10 minute side trip to Conn., there just weren't any caches along the route for me. Now I could grab like 20 Mass Turnpike rest stop caches on the way.

Totals include locationless caches. I don't think the state totals do...

New Jersey 71%

New York 14%

Maine 4%

Pennsylvania 3%

I live in New Jersey. I visit NYC a lot. My sister lives in Maine. Pennsylvania is only 35 miles off.

17 other state plus the D of C make up the rest. But those were mostly vacation geocaching trips, or on the way to Maine. Hope to add six states and another Canadian province on an upcoming trip. (Only 7 finds in New Brunswick for my Cnadian finds.) Won't be a lot of finds (a lot of driving involved.) (Yes. I'm a map ho.) :rolleyes:

RI - 60%

CT - 18%

MA - 14% (home state)

My county is bigger then those 3 states put together. :yikes:

In my case it's 61% CA, 23% AZ and 10% NV :D

Most of my finds are from my New York (my home state). After that it's:

Pennsylvania (I live about 35 miles from the border)

California (I was born in, and have family there)

Maine (from two vacations)

North Carolina (also two vacations there since I've been geocaching)

France, Spain, and Italy lead the list of other (12) countries in which I've found a cache.

About 20% of my finds are 100 miles or further from home.

I am currently in Beijing, China.

Where have you been finding caches away from home and why are those numbers so high?

Ah yes, I travel quite a bit. Been to Disney World six times. And to San Francisco. And Key West. And San Diego. And Key West (on a ship), And Los Angles, And Miami. And Disneyland.

Seriously, could we for once go somewhere besides Florida and California?!!

I have over 900 finds, but so far the only non-Florida caches I've found are 3 Virtuals in Gettysburg that I visited shortly before I started caching and backlogged (with proof of visit and CO permission). Since I signed up for the site on 1/1/10, I haven't left the state of Florida (it helps that I live in SE FL so it's 4+ hours drive to get to another state). That will probably change in September.

I live in Saskatchewan and ~75% of my finds are from there. I have travelled to a fair number of other provinces/states, but haven't racked up large numbers while I'm gone. For the last 3 years I've been working on a fizzy-type challenge. There aren't a large variety of combinations of D/T for caches near my home, so that means on any trips I take to other places my priority has been to find caches that have higher difficulty and/or terrain ratings. Those tend to be a little more involved, and don't lend themselves well to large numbers of finds. Also, my spousal unit isn't really a cacher, so when the two of us travel I can only find a few caches here and there.

Here's how my other percentages come out:

- Alberta 19% (I've made many trips there, often on my own with the purpose of geocaching along the way)

- Quebec 1.6%

- Nova Scotia 1.1%

- Washington 0.95%

and then less than a percent for 11 other states/provinces

The stats page doesn't really tell the whole story for us, because we've moved twice since we started caching. Discounting the 3 states we've lived in since we started caching--VA, NM, and CA--Ohio is the state with the most number of finds. That's where we have family, and visit there every year. Obviously caching isn't our focus when we go there, though, because we only have 6 finds there!

Depends on I you look at. Through December 31, 2010 I had only cached in Michigan and hit 3000 finds. Since then, because of a job hunt and relocation to Washington state, I've now cached in 13 more states. My total for Michigan (where I lived until late March and still revisit) is 3107. My total for Washington is 407. For states I've never lived in, Utah and Oregon are currently tied at 30.

A fundamental tenet of my geocaching philosophy is to use the sport to guide my travels to distant places I otherwise wouldn't visit. That is why more than 50% of my finds are outside my home state of Pennsylvania, and also more than 100 miles from my home coordinates. That is a hard percentage to maintain as I approach 5000 finds!

After my home state, I have the most caches in the neighboring state of Ohio, where I've found caches in all 88 counties. This is followed by two traditional geocaching destination states, Tennessee (2 trips) and Washington (5 trips). I grew up in New York State so that is next on the list, due to trips home to visit family. Nearby West Virginia is my favorite place for camping/backpacking caches. After that on the list come California (four trips) and North Carolina (three trips).

My long term goal is to find caches in all 50 states plus DC. Only nine states left to go!

Interesting- it turns out that 20% of my caches (70 of them) have been found outside of the United States in 14 countries. Leading the pack is Ireland with 17 caches (Dublin's center has quite a few nice ones), China (took me a month to get 12- hope you're having a good time in Beijing paddlecacher!), France and Hong Kong tied for 7 each, and Tanzania had 6.

Ignoring the international caches, my current "home" is set as Ohio and another 20% of my cache total are for ones in the USA outside Ohio (so 40% of my finds are not from there total). Leading states are Pennsylvania at almost half of that (grew up here and parents still live here to the point where I own caches in-state), and New Hampshire (go up there during summers).

I guess the take-home message here is I cache best when traveling! To be fair I'm in a state of flux right now as I'm moving to the Netherlands in September, and when that happens 98.5% of my caches will be from outside the country. :)

Edited by Andromeda321

Interesting- it turns out that 20% of my caches (70 of them) have been found outside of the United States in 14 countries. Leading the pack is Ireland with 17 caches (Dublin's center has quite a few nice ones), China (took me a month to get 12- hope you're having a good time in Beijing paddlecacher!), France and Hong Kong tied for 7 each, and Tanzania had 6.

Thanks. Unfortunately, I haven't had the time to leave my hotel since I got here Sunday afternoon. On the other hand, it's about 95F degrees with humidity in the high 40% and the nearest cache is 2.5 miles away. I just checked and someone got FTF on the Summer Water cache (placed at the beginning of April) at the Summer Palace on Friday but I'll be spending the afternoon there on Thursday and might be able to grab a cache or two.

BTW, I was chatting with someone from the Netherlands (Wangeningen) yesterday. I've been there once. It's very flat.

Edited by NYPaddleCacher