YAY ME!

That's awesome, hide caches you like to find!

Is the creativity from the puzzle, or is the container really creative?

Um, I think it was mostly the containers...the puzzle was meant to be fairly difficult, even though it did make the hide more creative.

First Stage - Old Spray-painted soccer ball with one piece cut out and a film canister inside.

Second - Baseball with center/cylinder drilled out and long m&m's container stuck inside.

Third - Pink water bottle spray-painted blue/green

Final - Clear Ice Cream bucket with white frisbee duct-taped to the top

I don't know, maybe people liked the puzzle too?

That's awesome, hide caches you like to find!

Is the creativity from the puzzle, or is the container really creative?

Um, I think it was mostly the containers...the puzzle was meant to be fairly difficult, even though it did make the hide more creative.

First Stage - Old Spray-painted soccer ball with one piece cut out and a film canister inside.

Second - Baseball with center/cylinder drilled out and long m&m's container stuck inside.

Third - Pink water bottle spray-painted blue/green

Final - Clear Ice Cream bucket with white frisbee duct-taped to the top

I don't know, maybe people liked the puzzle too?

People that spend the time to actually figure out a 4 star puzzle generally enjoy doing them immensely. I'm willing to bet it was a mixture of the puzzle and creative containers that they loved.

Just to do some nitpicking though: I believe the description isn't entirely accurate. Triangulation and trilateration in 3 dimensions works quite well with only 3 satellites (it leaves two points as possible positions, one of which can be dismissed as unlikely). The fourth satellite isn't required to get altitude information, but simply as time reference. This is because the distance to each satellite is derived from the time it takes for the signal to arrive at the receiver, and the integrated clocks of consumer GPS receiver chips are nowhere near precise enough to accurately keep track of absolute [sic] time. The time thus must be considered as an unknown variable, giving you four unknowns (3 dimensions of position plus the time). This is why you need four sources of information to fully solve the equation.

A 2D GPS fix (using 3 satellites) has to assume a value for one of the four unknowns (usually either time or altitude) to solve the equation for the remaining 3 unknowns. If the assumption is wrong, all the other calculated values will be wrong too.

At least that's how I understand it works. I'm not an expert though.

Edited by dfx
Just to do some nitpicking though: I believe the description isn't entirely accurate. Triangulation and trilateration in 3 dimensions works quite well with only 3 satellites (it leaves two points as possible positions, one of which can be dismissed as unlikely). The fourth satellite isn't required to get altitude information, but simply as time reference. This is because the distance to each satellite is derived from the time it takes for the signal to arrive at the receiver, and the integrated clocks of consumer GPS receiver chips are nowhere near precise enough to accurately keep track of absolute [sic] time. The time thus must be considered as an unknown variable, giving you four unknowns (3 dimensions of position plus the time). This is why you need four sources of information to fully solve the equation.

A 2D GPS fix (using 3 satellites) has to assume a value for one of the four unknowns (usually either time or altitude) to solve the equation for the remaining 3 unknowns. If the assumption is wrong, all the other calculated values will be wrong too.

At least that's how I understand it works. I'm not an expert though.

That sounds right. Altitude is determined through the ambient air pressure.

That sounds right. Altitude is determined through the ambient air pressure.

Um, no. On GPS devices featuring a barometric altimeter maybe. But the GPS itself also delivers altitude data, determined the same way as longitude and latitude.

Too late for that my young neighbor to the south. That is the risk we both take when reading and writing about caches on the forums though. :laughing:

Really-it's OK. Very few local cachers play in this sandbox, and I can handle a little bit of spoilage.

Edited by wimseyguy

Sorry, but I felt like bragging about it... :)

I just hid my second cache two days ago and already I have a favorite point and long logs! Yay!

This is why I love hiding creative caches!

http://coord.info/GC2YBPR

WOOHOO!!!!!

Yes, nice long logs. But don't think it can't happen to you (and it will), the 15th hidden cache in the world, 5th oldest active cache, with 111 favorite points, just had 3 "TFTC" logs dropped on it the other day. :huh: Fine job though, sounds excellent. And nice work on the cache page itself with the HTML.

Sorry, but I felt like bragging about it... :)

I just hid my second cache two days ago and already I have a favorite point and long logs! Yay!

This is why I love hiding creative caches!

http://coord.info/GC2YBPR

WOOHOO!!!!!

Yes, nice long logs. But don't think it can't happen to you (and it will), the 15th hidden cache in the world, 5th oldest active cache, with 111 favorite points, just had 3 "TFTC" logs dropped on it the other day. :huh: Fine job though, sounds excellent. And nice work on the cache page itself with the HTML.

Wow, thats crazy!

Thanks though! :)

Um, no. On GPS devices featuring a barometric altimeter maybe. But the GPS itself also delivers altitude data, determined the same way as longitude and latitude.

How does it do that?

As already explained here and on the cache page: trilateration. Intersect three spheres with each other and the result is two points. One of those points is in outer space and so can be ignored, the other is then the position. Since we're doing this in 3-dimensional space, those points have coordinates in three dimensions also, and so include altitude information.

http://en.wikipedia...._concept_of_GPS

Edited by dfx

Now I feel stupid, what if someone from my area comes on and sees my list of containers and me bragging about my cache?! :o :o

They'll think "Great!!, we finally got somebody new who puts out interesting caches instead of FC's under rocks!"

Puzzle cache freaks will be thrilled another another cacher is placing non-traditional caches. It's all good!