How can I become a cache reviewer?

I was part of a similar discussion, perhaps it was in our local forums, because I don't find it doing a search here, but our reviewer at the time answered something to the effect of "Find caches, hide caches, be active in your local caching community. Help other cachers, someone will notice, and when the need comes..." It was a much better answer than my "Who in heavens name would ever want that thankless job?!?"

A short while later, I met him at an event. He thanked me for my part in starting the Granite State Geocachers' Website, saying "Don't think someone hasn't noticed." Hearing that familiar phrase, I ran away as fast as I could politely. Now, I wonder if he was remembering the same conversation and trying to scare me. I'm not sure, though, because a couple months later, we got a new reviewer. I think I dodged a bullet. . . :laughing:

In all seriousness, I would never pursue that position because it really can be pretty thankless, but if asked, I would consider it. Look at some of the current threads, reviewers are getting dumped on left and right. Oh, the "right" link? That's my reviewer (the new one, not the one I ran away from) who's being complained about.

It would've helped to have found more then than 18 events caches, and helped even more to go to a few events to get known in your local community (You didn't haven't even attend one...)

Fixed it for you.

Bear and Ragged posted the relevant information. B)

Edited by Pup Patrol

I really want to review caches but how can you become a cache reviewer... Anyone wanna help???

The first test grasshopper is to hit your tumb with a hammer real hard. If you cry out you fail a reviewer must be able to stand great pain.

The second test is to stick a pin into your skin 1/2 inch. If you cry out you fail as a reviewer must have thick skin.

You should also get some very thick glasses. A reviewer will be told they are blind, so it's best to be ready.

You also must have super high speed internet as a reviewer must be able to respond faster then the speed of light or face forum abuse.

If you pass these tests you may or maynot be contacted. :laughing:

I really want to review caches but how can you become a cache reviewer... Anyone wanna help???

You only have 18 finds. Groundspeak will contact you if you are fit to be a reviewer. They ask you, not you ask them. If you are fit to be a reviewer, you must have 1000's of finds,quite a few hides, memorize the guidlines and some secretive things. You will VOLUNTEER your time and not get paid. And you just blew your identity if you were to become a reviewer.

...He thanked me for my part in starting the Granite State Geocachers' Website, saying "Don't think someone hasn't noticed." Hearing that familiar phrase, I ran away as fast as I could politely. Now, I wonder if he was remembering the same conversation and trying to scare me. I'm not sure, though, because a couple months later, we got a new reviewer. I think I dodged a bullet. . . :laughing:

Wouldn't it have been easier to politely decline?

---

All reviewers must undergo a through background check. Remember that you won't be reviewing the area you live in to reduce the possibility of volunteers favoring their friends and family. Also, you must be in a strong financial situation since reviewers with debts are more likely to accept bribes.

Edited by Ambient_Skater

You only have 18 finds. Groundspeak will contact you if you are fit to be a reviewer. They ask you, not you ask them. If you are fit to be a reviewer, you must have 1000's of finds,quite a few hides, memorize the guidlines and some secretive things. You will VOLUNTEER your time and not get paid. And you just blew your identity if you were to become a reviewer.

Plenty of reviewers have public identities.

The part that I bolded is NOT true. The other info is good though.

Also, you must be in a strong financial situation since reviewers with debts are more likely to accept bribes.

Did you make that up? I don't see how one could bribe a reviewer...

PayPal, or the reviewer can set up a PO box for COs to send money orders to. Why would I have made that up? Geocaching is serious business, Coldgears.

Edited by Ambient_Skater

And you just blew your identity if you were to become a reviewer.

huh?..since when is the identity of the reviewer supposed to be a secret? :blink:

I don't know the world-wide ratio, but the two New York reviewers have secret identities. And I go so far back that NJAdmin used to review all of New York before then, and they are secret also. Not that I don't actually know who all three of these people really are. Whoops, did I just say that out loud? :ph34r:

1,000's of finds is not a requirement. Significant caching experience is of course necessary but I can think of a few reviewers who still haven't broken the 1,000 find mark and many more who hadn't yet passed the 1,000 find mark at the time they became reviewers.

So don't think running around from lamp post to lamp post to crank up the find count will have any bearing whatsoever on consideration.

Number of hides isn't going to matter that much either. 25 high quality, well maintained hides will look far better than 250 LPCs.

If you were to weight factors, demonstrated knowledge of the guidelines probably has the highest weight. If you submit caches with guideline issues forget being considered (you'd probably be forgiven one or two mistakes early in your career).

Right behind that is reputation in the community. If you've got a good rep, are well liked by your fellow cachers and have a record of developing positive relationships with land managers that is going to be a key factor.

Number of finds is probably near the bottom of the list and a relatively minor factor. You should have a good number of them. 30 finds isn't going to cut it but if you only have several hundred, that would not preclude you from consideration if all of the other factors look good.

Edited by briansnat

Head for the E.T. Highway!!!