Checkmate: Pawn Takes Queen Geocoin

avroair

So I have been working on a Chess related coin for about 4 years now. Finished it up just in time for the Geoswag August coin and pin of the month. Sample is below.

Thanks to Waymarking I found a bunch of Giant Chess Boards (they have a category), and found one in Seattle at a local mall: Waymarking Chess Sets I am holding an event there in August

Below is a sample, the chess table and icons are gold two-tone:

2eb17e89-30b5-4e7b-a76c-3b9fb87eb976.jpg

A different version will also be available on Geoswag.com in August and at Geocoinfest Europe.

Yes the kings sit on the square of the same color.

Just the other day i was thinking about a geocoin series. Each coin representing a different chess piece. Allowing collectors to collect an entire chess set worth of coins. White using a polished silver and black being in black nickle. The pawns would be tags that fit inside the back side of each of the main pieces. Anyone can feel free to take this idea and run with it. You would only need 5 different designs to cover all the pieces. You could do 50 of each color King and Queen. Then 100 of each color for the Rook, Knight, and Bishop.

Edit for spelling

Edited by mpilchfamily

Just the other day i was thinking about a geocoin series. Each coin representing a different chess piece. Allowing collectors to collect an entire chess set worth of coins. White using a polished silver and black being in black nickle. The pawns would be tags that fit inside the back side of each of the main pieces. Anyone can feel free to take this idea and run with it. You would only need 5 different designs to cover all the pieces. You could do 50 of each color King and Queen. Then 100 of each color for the Rook, Knight, and Bishop.

That's a good idea. If I were doing it, I would make six coin designs: king, queen bishop, knight, rook, and pawn. One side of the coin would have a white piece and the other would have a black piece. However, buying enough to play a game could be pricey. Let's assume that each coin costs $8, that would be an expenditure of $256. The idea of using 1" diameter tags without tracking numbers for pawns might be good to reduce costs, then the set of larger pieces would cost $128 and 16 pawns could be as little as $32 for a total cost of $160.

The idea of using 1" diameter tags without tracking numbers for pawns might be good to reduce costs, then the set of larger pieces would cost $128 and 16 pawns could be as little as $32 for a total cost of $160.

Already been done ;)

TMA

AAAARRRRGGG!!! Somebody stole this idea and then traveled back in time to scoop us!

I'm curious to know how many full sets of 32 pieces were sold and what the cost of a full set was.

Good looking coin!

Love chess. Is there a reason why the pieces aren't facing each

other?

I thought that too...

But, thinking about it, as it is now, the coin can't be upside down. Good idea. :laughing:

It's a coin so you can rotate it. And the Q and K alignment was fixed on the production coin, I noticed that when the sample arrived.

I would make six coin designs: king, queen bishop, knight, rook, and pawn.

I am making black and white pins for: King, Queen, Rook and Knight --- they will come with the coins, and be sold separately, I suppose those could go into 4 caches to make a set. Would be much cheaper.

Mark

Avroair

That's a good idea. If I were doing it, I would make six coin designs: king, queen bishop, knight, rook, and pawn. One side of the coin would have a white piece and the other would have a black piece. However, buying enough to play a game could be pricey. Let's assume that each coin costs $8, that would be an expenditure of $256. The idea of using 1" diameter tags without tracking numbers for pawns might be good to reduce costs, then the set of larger pieces would cost $128 and 16 pawns could be as little as $32 for a total cost of $160.

Excuse me, but I don't think it's very fair to take this thread off topic with discussions of other coins. If you have something in the works, please start another thread, but you are distracting from the discussion of this coin by confusing the thread with discussions of another.

Back on topic please.

I decided since I bought an expensive chess set (to me anyway) while on vacation and since I also love Geocoins I guess I have to join your coin club. Now if you could talk Disney or Nascar into letting you make some geocoins for them then I would definetly be in the poor house.