FIRST power trail on EAST COAST, 850+ caches, through an ENTIRE state, 91+ miles!

From my knowledge, there hasn't been a single Power Trail on the Eaast Coast yet.
There's a "Tribute" trail a bit northeast of Bangor, Maine that has 200 or so caches. I have wonder what this game has come to when 200 caches placed within close proximity of each other and close enough to the road such that they can all be found in a day isn't considered a power trail.
There were another couple big series in southern Maine, too. They were close enough to each other to be considered 1 trail, in my book. Both were archived. Don't know if it's related, but one of the COs got a ban for a while, too...
You mean the ones out on Stud Mill? Looks like they are still active.
Heh... I suppose geographically, Bangor is almost Southern Maine, but no, not Stud Mill Rd (although from what I've heard, you won't keep the pace on that road that you can on, say Rt 66. Bumpy dirt road...) Down in the West Kennebunk area. Star Wars Tribute (by SeriousTool) and Space Balls Tribute (by marcipanek, infamous for another powertrail-related feat...).

Keep in mind folks, this power trail is going to be hidden by the people at the top (The state themselves), I'm sure they aren't stupid and know how to make it very safe.

You really think so?!? They're not necessarily geocachers, and sometimes do not understand the game. I've done some of these 'hiden by the people at the top' series. They're not generally well done. (But then again, for a power trail 'well done' is not relevant.) I can think of a few such that I've found. Some in Maryland . Some in New Jersey. Wow! It's hidden behind the electric meter in front of the visitor's center!

Or, more to the point: The EarthCache Power Trails in/near NYC. Most of the people who have found the eleven caches in a half mile walk have enjoyed them. But most of them have absolutely nothing to do with earth science. Very nice nature trail. Well meaning group that hid them. But, good golly, it's a landfill! What way does "Which way does the tree cast a shadow" have to do with Earth Science???

So, no. I do not give much more credence to 'hidden by the people the top." They may be well meaning, but that does not mean that they know anything about geocaching.

Keep in mind folks, this power trail is going to be hidden by the people at the top (The state themselves), I'm sure they aren't stupid and know how to make it very safe.

Being hidden by "people at the top" doesn't mean diddly squat when it comes to quality and maintainance. Look at how well most Boy Scout caches turn out.

I'm guessing the reality will hit home in a month or two after the trail goes live and whoever was at the helm of getting the caches placed will realize that babysitting a mega trail is more than they bargained for and become an absentee landlord.

Has there been a mega trail that hasn't caused a black eye for geocaching? Of course, I'm talking about the ones that people will buy airplane tickets for.

Which begs the question:

How short can it be, and still be considered a 'power trail'?

Can someone from the Power Trail Committee help us here?

See, that is the whole problem I have with the committee that likes to heap scorn on "power trails." There is no nice neat definition I can lookup on wikipedia. I suspect that your favorite cache that at the end of a 15 mile hike through swap and forest would suddenly become a power trail if someone dropped a cache half way there.

Looking for an answer in the guidelines, I only came up with this:
Please don't hide a cache every 600 feet just because you can.
:huh::blink::unsure:
Clearly the have a reason for hiding them...
Just because they can.

I can see the Head of the Delaware Chambers of Commerce had dinner with the Nevada CoC Head:

"Ya know, Ed, it's the strangest thing. When our DOT started doin' their job, our Tourism Department noticed a marked decrease in the number of people going to Rachel. Something about GPS and cash. We've decided that we want more cash, so we told the DOT to shove off."

"Wow, Bob! I think we need more cash in Delaware, too! How can we get in on this?"

Forgive me. I'm wrong. They didn't hide the caches just because they can, they're hiding them to advertize, market and promote the state. That's three reasons specifically mentioned in the guidelines to describe commercial caches!:ph34r:Don't believe it? The ninja smiley is the link. He's not bein' sneaky for nuttin'

Edited by Too Tall John

... I suspect that your favorite cache that at the end of a 15 mile hike through swap and forest would suddenly become a power trail if someone dropped a cache half way there.

This was the original beginning of the whole 'power trail' thing.

Someone hid a great cache at a remote lake or a distant mountain-top.

Someone else going after that one, decided to hide one (or two, or five) along the trail because they liked it, or maybe because they couldn't make it all the way to the original one.(Let's put one down here for the weaklings who can't do the whole trail.)

Some more someones came along and placed some more caches in the remaining gaps.

Pretty soon, someone notice this phenomenon, and and hid another cache at another remote lake or a distant mountain-top, but this time they placed many caches along the trail, since it was obvious others would do it sooner or later. In many such cases there was a great local hue and cry because so-and-so was blocking the whole area and left no room for others to place their caches.

After the stink from that had dissipated, someone realized they didn't need the hike to the remote lake part, and now we have the various back-road series' that bless us all with the possibility of huge numbers as long as you can continue to write your initials on a scrap of paper.

Is someone from the Delaware Commission making sure that there's a person assigned to do cache maintenance? Or is it list'em and leave it.

With a powertrail that large, you can be sure that the cachers themselves will do the "maintenance" :ph34r:

Is someone from the Delaware Commission making sure that there's a person assigned to do cache maintenance? Or is it list'em and leave it.

With a powertrail that large, you can be sure that the cachers themselves will do the "maintenance" :ph34r:

NOTE: there should NOT be any DNF's. Take a few spare micro containers and logs with you. If you find a cache is missing, just replace it (claiming a find) and move on--better for you and much less work for the Commission!

I would agree that the experience of all those caches would be greatly diminished if you were to simply drive between them. I would suggest walking/cycling/running the course - that way you get to breathe the air and soak up the sun, plus at 10 per mile you could probably walk between them faster than drive.

Some days are for quality, some are for quantity......................

I don't like this business about replacing them yourself though - indicates they must be trivially easy hides in very obvious locations if that's the approach. That would dissuade me more than the "power trail" concept or the location. At least hide or disguise some of them properly.

NOTE: there should NOT be any DNF's. Take a few spare micro containers and logs with you. If you find a cache is missing, just replace it (claiming a find) and move on--better for you and much less work for the Commission!

So they are hiding caches with the expectation that others will take care of the caches for them. There's a word for that. Actually several words. Chutzpah is one that comes to mind.

So they are hiding caches with the expectation that others will take care of the caches for them. There's a word for that. Actually several words. Chutzpah is one that comes to mind.

If they're hiding caches with no maintenance I would think to save time why wouldn't people just drive by and log them online? Not like the paper logs are ever going to be consulted.

You won't have to find any of them. Just bring along 850 extras with your name already on the log. Chuck em out the window as you drive by.

Since the owner acknowledged that they are either unwilling or unable to perform the maintenance they agreed to perform when they submitted the cache page, shouldn't the caches be archived? :ph34r::lol:

YA THINK?

But not before I 'book' my 'flight' and log them all!!! :P

All,

I really don't check the forums but a friend hit me on the head recently saying my new series (OCATT) got a mention on here (woohoo!). It stands for "Old Croton Aqueduct Tribute Trail" and is very close to completion (currently ~100 published, with ~30 left to go). Located in Westchester County New York, just north of New York City, it was inspired by the Stud Mill tribute series in Maine placed by Ekidokai. He tributed Maine cachers while I tributed ones who geocache in my county. It's not P&G's like ET or most other "power trails". This one makes you hike, snowshoe, x-country ski, or bike the trail in order to find them. They're all really hidden instead of laying out in the open, with personalized writeups and special care taken to create them. Test tubes, zip ties, camo tape, and spray paint are my friends. The trail itself goes through scenic vistas and urban developments... it's an impressive blend of landscape that can be traveled in 1 day via bicycle, but definitely not cached in 1 day. Besides, if you're trying to fit in as many as humanly possible, you're likely doing it wrong. Check it out if you're interested in a real journey with solid caches along the way that put you to think out of the box.

FYI - the Stud Mill tribute series in Maine was done well. Each cache is 1/2 - 1 mile apart from each other, not every 528 feet. You're torturing yourself if you try for all in 24 hours, and it was created with intentions of being a bike-able trail anyway. It's your own choice to drive. I recently completed it in 2 days and enjoyed an excellent 3 night campout in the thick of it all with great friends. This is how OCATT should be done as well, except no camping is allowed along the trail.

Keep an eye out for future developments to my trail. Just keyword search "OCATT" and you'll get the full list. Who else would name their cache OCATT anyway?

Old Croton Aqueduct Tribute Trail

Now that's my kind of power trail! B)

+1

+2, I suppose. Nothing too new, Southern Ontario is loaded with rails to trails power trails. The one I did near Brantford (rural, and the trail was gravel) consisted of 45 smalls and regulars. Variety of hiding methods including a tree climber, a rock pile hide, and one strung up in a tree. True about 1/2 of them were hanging vitamin bottles, considered smalls.

BriGuyNY, if you see this, can I ask you why all micros? Strictly financial considerations? The desire to keep them very close to the trail? By the way, like the Maine trail and yours, the one I did they were all named after Geocachers. :)

Old Croton Aqueduct Tribute Trail

Now that's my kind of power trail! B)

+1

+2, I suppose. Nothing too new, Southern Ontario is loaded with rails to trails power trails. The one I did near Brantford (rural, and the trail was gravel) consisted of 45 smalls and regulars. Variety of hiding methods including a tree climber, a rock pile hide, and one strung up in a tree. True about 1/2 of them were hanging vitamin bottles, considered smalls.

BriGuyNY, if you see this, can I ask you why all micros? Strictly financial considerations? The desire to keep them very close to the trail? By the way, like the Maine trail and yours, the one I did they were all named after Geocachers. :)

Financial, actually. And I'm a bit devilish with micro hides sometimes. Got a great deal on ebay for 200 water-tight test tubes in bulk. That plus a long winter gave me something fun to do :)

Only about 20 left to go live now... home stretch! I think I'll post more about it when it's 100% so everyone can check it out

Does anyone know when the Delaware Comission will actually release this new Powertrail? I did the C&O trail in July ALONG WITH about 10 Virtuals and Earthcaches. Nice day!

BTW - Delaware does a great historic caching trail called the DGT series. I've done about 10 of those, takes you to historic locations that in the old days would have been virtuals -- but don't need to be here since the "powers that be" have insitituted the series. In Maryland there was a great township/historic series calle the MML (Maryland Municipal League) series archived this summer :(. Also in Maryland/VA is the SSB (Star Spangled Banner) and CJS (Captain John Smith) themed historic trails...definitely personal and family favorites....IMHO there are MANY ways to do geocaching...now if only we had more TIME! :)

Perhaps,... just perhaps yet another state has awakened to the potential of "Geo-Tourism". On the surface it might seem that our zany activity has little potential for economic impact, however, there is a place out in the American Southwest where Geo-Tourism has had a positive economic impact.

Perhaps other agencies have taken notice.

I am putting my nomex suit on sooooooooo feel free to send forth the flames

Edited by humboldt flier

Since the owner acknowledged that they are either unwilling or unable to perform the maintenance they agreed to perform when they submitted the cache page, shouldn't the caches be archived? :ph34r::lol:

Per the post just a few above yours, the owner made no such acknowledgement. The only acknowledgement that they did make was that if people help out with maintenance, then the owners will not have to do as much maintenance. That is pretty much true about every cache and every cacher.

Hmm, Not knocking power trails, but why not a mix of caches, use caches to bring people to the state for reasons other than a powertrail. Why not hides in differant state parks, this would attract cachers to the state parks.

Thats just one way, I just think theres other ways to use Geocaching.

While you and I agree on this, those that do the marketing studies must think most cachers are more interested in large numbers of mundane caches.

So far I have resisted the urge to run a power trail. I was invited to go along on the Route 66 trail on January 1 but declined.

Instead I went out and completed the part of the CA smilie face that I started earlier. Between the time I left the car and I got back to the car I found 22 caches which is still my record for a day. Writing a unique log for each cache was a challenge. I will not cut and paste. There have been problems with power trails which have led to most of the caches being archived. First was the "Trail of the Gods" which had a cache hidden at the base of several hundred power line towers. The power company which built the road objected to the amount of traffic on their road through the Mojave Desert. The first ET Highway power trail was shut down because someone (probably geocacher) pulled out onto the highway ahead of a snowplow. Luckily there was not a collision.

The new version of the ET highway takes into consideration curves and proper sight distances.

The Route 66 power trail east of Barstow, rarely gets any snow and never gets plowed.

As for Delaware, if the caches are close to a highway that gets snow plowed, the hiders should consult the DOT.

I would rather find some geo-art such as a smilie face or the outline of the state of Delaware on about 2 square miles.

I logged my 1000th cache at the Groundspeak Block Party after 6 years of geocaching.