FIRST power trail on EAST COAST, 850+ caches, through an ENTIRE state, 91+ miles!

I heard it through the grapevine, that a the Delaware Commission in charge of the Delaware Economic Development set up by Governor Jack Markell to promote geo-tourism will be soon hiding a series of caches through the entire state of Delaware, all 91 miles, 850+ caches.

They already published a series of caches along a creek that leads into the Delaware River, both sides, that power-trail has about 140 caches. They are putting the finishing touches on a 30 mile, 250+ cache powertrail that will go through Maryland (They are working closely with Maryland to do this) and Delaware.

After the most recent trail of 250+ caches is done, then they will begin the preparations for the 850+, 91 mile trail.

Honestly? I live a 40 minute drive from Delaware, and I was planning on spending a couple hours doing the 140 geocache power-trail next weekend, so I think this is amazing. From my knowledge, there hasn't been a single Power Trail on the Eaast Coast yet. I have 350 found caches after nearly 1.5 years of geocaching, I can now TRIPLE my find count IN A DAY, with this new power-trail. I CAN'T WAIT!

I heard it through the grapevine, that a the Delaware Commission in charge of the Delaware Economic Development set up by Governor Jack Markell to promote geo-tourism will be soon hiding a series of caches through the entire state of Delaware, all 91 miles, 850+ caches.

They already published a series of caches along a creek that leads into the Delaware River, both sides, that power-trail has about 140 caches. They are putting the finishing touches on a 30 mile, 250+ cache powertrail that will go through Maryland (They are working closely with Maryland to do this) and Delaware.

After the most recent trail of 250+ caches is done, then they will begin the preparations for the 850+, 91 mile trail.

Honestly? I live a 40 minute drive from Delaware, and I was planning on spending a couple hours doing the 140 geocache power-trail next weekend, so I think this is amazing. From my knowledge, there hasn't been a single Power Trail on the Eaast Coast yet. I have 350 found caches after nearly 1.5 years of geocaching, I can now TRIPLE my find count IN A DAY, with this new power-trail. I CAN'T WAIT!

But are they quality caches?....

Are they grabs from the car or trail?

Power Trails are usually quick grabs Define Quality as YOU see it.

SS

Hmm, Not knocking power trails, but why not a mix of caches, use caches to bring people to the state for reasons other than a powertrail. Why not hides in differant state parks, this would attract cachers to the state parks.

Thats just one way, I just think theres other ways to use Geocaching.

SS

Good point. I define quality as, relatively watertight, interesting, clever, possibly original or uncommon.

I think that's great. Not really for me, because most of the fun for me is getting to a cache, seeing someplace new, and in seeing the interesting cache hide/container/contents. So mass caches like that wouldn't really be interesting unless they all had some unique value or placement. But we all like different things, so people that like the big numbers, rapid finds, it's very cool the state is doing it!

Hmm, Not knocking power trails, but why not a mix of caches, use caches to bring people to the state for reasons other than a powertrail. Why not hides in differant state parks, this would attract cachers to the state parks.

Utah (I think) did a state wide series that was in their parks. It was well received from what I understand.

I think that's great. Not really for me, because most of the fun for me is getting to a cache, seeing someplace new, and in seeing the interesting cache hide/container/contents. So mass caches like that wouldn't really be interesting unless they all had some unique value or placement. But we all like different things, so people that like the big numbers, rapid finds, it's very cool the state is doing it!

The one near valley forge pa is a power trail with (from what I understand) some interesting caches you hike/walk to get.

I plan on going to the valley forge one, just wondering if this is similar.

Edited by LukeTrocity

I have 350 found caches after nearly 1.5 years of geocaching, I can now TRIPLE my find count IN A DAY, with this new power-trail. I CAN'T WAIT!

So your find count is the most important for you when geocaching? I do hope that you have experienced more in those 1.5 years of geocaching than you will experience in that single day.

After 1.5 years I had considerably less then 350 found caches, but I have seen so much that I would not without geocaching and learnt to know many new people and obtained new friends.

Until I certain point I can understand that you want to experience a power trail yourself if so many others are talking about having done powertrails (personally I would not, but that's a different story), but your mail focus appears to be on the found count after having found the powertrail. Groundspeak really should start to sell legitimate found it logs - this will apparently make cachers happy and will be more efficient and will save a lot of resources.

Cezanne

The one near valley forge pa is a power trail with (from what I understand) some interesting caches you hike/walk to get.

Not similar at all. The valley forge one is along a bike/hike trail. It was only 100 caches and took about the same time you could get 500 or so in a regular power-trail (if not more) due to the walking/bike riding. This Delaware power-trail is going to be like route-66 and the ET-highway, meaning numbers hunters from around the world will eventually visit, get an easy 850 smilies, possibly due the other two powertrails the commission hid in delaware to get a total of 1,100 then leave.

The Delaware commissions power-trails also differ in quality. The Valley Forge trails actually had a few good creative caches, tons of different containers, and they all meant to stay in place. Assuming this new power-trail will follow the same theme, the caches will all be film cans, and will encourage you to replace them if you have one missing with another film can, and you can take one sign it while driving, ect.

One's for people in the local area for a fun, rewarding trail, ones to lure in number hunters.

Honestly, I only did 10 of the valley forge ones, I didn't like having to walk to each one, I only did it because I thought it would be like a real power-trail, it wasn't... At all...

SS

Good point. I define quality as, relatively watertight, interesting, clever, possibly original or uncommon.

Add swag size to the quality definition. Based on size alone (and assuming a watertight container) larger caches appeal to everyone, micros appeal to a smaller group of people. Mixing up the quality cache containers on a power trail would also make it more interesting. A mix of peanut butter jars, nalgene jars, lock n locks, ammo cans, pelican cases, thermos containers would be nice, But it's unlikely that any power trail over 50 caches will have anything but free containers - mostly pill bottles and film canisters.

From my knowledge, there hasn't been a single Power Trail on the Eaast Coast yet.

There's a "Tribute" trail a bit northeast of Bangor, Maine that has 200 or so caches. I have wonder what this game has come to when 200 caches placed within close proximity of each other and close enough to the road such that they can all be found in a day isn't considered a power trail.

I'm not overly familure with that part of the US, but I would think they're going to have some issues with proximity.

I don't know... 520 feet of separation = 10 caches per mile... 850 caches in 91 miles seems pretty doable with some room to spare...

Proximity to existing caches would need to be taken into account.

I'm going to end up running a PQ and using a GSAK macro to look at the 'open' space this evening. I just know it.

From my knowledge, there hasn't been a single Power Trail on the Eaast Coast yet.

There's a "Tribute" trail a bit northeast of Bangor, Maine that has 200 or so caches. I have wonder what this game has come to when 200 caches placed within close proximity of each other and close enough to the road such that they can all be found in a day isn't considered a power trail.

What about the OCATT series in New York and the one on the trail connecting to it? Quite a few caches between the two.

I would dispute that "first" moniker.

I'm going to end up running a PQ and using a GSAK macro to look at the 'open' space this evening. I just know it.

Ahhh, I get you now. Yeah; I hadn't considered that there would already be actual caches there. You're probably right (you're probably verifying it already; don't lie).

Ahhh, I get you now. Yeah; I hadn't considered that there would already be actual caches there. You're probably right (you're probably verifying it already; don't lie).

Nope. I haven't. I don't have GSAK on my work computer.

I'm not overly familure with that part of the US, but I would think they're going to have some issues with proximity.

Not really, I'm assuming they are going to do it on Route 13, it's one of the first highways in the US, and it has a pull off point at nearly every point on it. Delaware is nearly all farmland, and very few of the caches are near route 13 (Very few caches at all in the farmland actually).

Nope. I haven't. I don't have GSAK on my work computer.

Benefit of being the "IT Guy" = I do, but no way I could get the results you're talking about with it.

I hang my head in shame.sad.gif

You need a PQ with the correct info and then a GSAK macro that draws little circles around the points.

Then you create the filter that you need in GSAK, upload to GoogleEarth (there is another macro in there someplace), then run the macro that makes the little circles.

I have a certain amount of love for GSAK (I work in dbs design and managment).

I'm somewhat familiar with that area as I've driven North-South through the State several times on the way to/from the Outer Banks in NC. A google maps search indicates that it's about 105 miles from Wilmington, DE (near the northern border, to Delmar, DE near the Southern border. There are basically two main roads that run North/South. I've been on both of them. If there were problems as a result of geocachers stopping every 528 feet on the ET Highway this is going to be a nightmare. Of course, we don't know what the exact route this rail will take but the coincidence of the State being just over 100 miles long and the route advertised at 91 miles would seem to indicate that'll follow one of those two main roads.

There were another couple big series in southern Maine, too. They were close enough to each other to be considered 1 trail, in my book. Both were archived. Don't know if it's related, but one of the COs got a ban for a while, too...

Just goes to show the limitations of the OP's knowledge. But he seems like a nice boy. :D

Edited by wimseyguy

Just goes to show the limitations of the OP's knowledge. But he seems like a nice boy. :D

I meant the mid-atlantic area. Florida has plenty of power trails... I was ignoring everything below north carolina ad above New York. I've never been below North Carolina or above new york n my life.

I'm absolutely certain you know more about powertrails with less then 500 caches from all over the world... Don't you? I bet you, you had no idea about that 200 cache powertrail either? You just wanted to make fun of me. :mad:

Edited by Coldgears
There were another couple big series in southern Maine, too. They were close enough to each other to be considered 1 trail, in my book. Both were archived. Don't know if it's related, but one of the COs got a ban for a while, too...

You mean the ones out on Stud Mill? Looks like they are still active.

I meant the mid-atlantic area. Florida has plenty of power trails... I was ignoring everything below north carolina ad above New York. I've never been below North Carolina or above new york n my life.

I'm absolutely certain you know more about powertrails with less then 500 caches from all over the world... Don't you? I bet you, you had no idea about that 200 cache powertrail either? You just wanted to make fun of me. :mad:

Well, yes I did. Because I knew you would take it so well. Looking forward to meeting you in person at GW9.

If you meant Mid-Atlantic, you should have said so. ;) It's where I spent the first 18 years of my life and enjoy the occasional return to see family that never escaped.

I like power trail caching sometimes, and hope these are well done with consideration to all involved aspects. As already mentioned, if they are EZ pull on/off along US 13 it will cause problems with the existing amount of traffic already present on that road. I used to drive it regularly when I lived/worked in Ocean City MD back in the mid 80's. If they are on side roads off the highways it should work out just fine. The fact that these are being sponsored by an official state agency should help with communication and planning too (I hope).

Not similar at all. The valley forge one is along a bike/hike trail. It was only 100 caches and took about the same time you could get 500 or so in a regular power-trail (if not more) due to the walking/bike riding. This Delaware power-trail is going to be like route-66 and the ET-highway, meaning numbers hunters from around the world will eventually visit, get an easy 850 smilies, possibly due the other two powertrails the commission hid in delaware to get a total of 1,100 then leave.

The Delaware commissions power-trails also differ in quality. The Valley Forge trails actually had a few good creative caches, tons of different containers, and they all meant to stay in place. Assuming this new power-trail will follow the same theme, the caches will all be film cans, and will encourage you to replace them if you have one missing with another film can, and you can take one sign it while driving, ect.

One's for people in the local area for a fun, rewarding trail, ones to lure in number hunters.

Honestly, I only did 10 of the valley forge ones, I didn't like having to walk to each one, I only did it because I thought it would be like a real power-trail, it wasn't... At all...

Thanks for the info. This type of cache really isn't for me, I found out recently I don't really care for those types of runs. Have fun though!

As for swag size, I don't have kids so I care little for swag. I do carry some around and trade, but not with any real enthusiasm.

The Valley Forge trails actually had a few good creative caches, tons of different containers, and they all meant to stay in place.

Yeah, I can see where that would lack appeal to some power trail fans. <_<

"What?! I can't take that ammo can down to the next cache location to replace the match safe that is there? How dare they!" :P

I'm somewhat familiar with that area as I've driven North-South through the State several times on the way to/from the Outer Banks in NC. A google maps search indicates that it's about 105 miles from Wilmington, DE (near the northern border, to Delmar, DE near the Southern border. There are basically two main roads that run North/South. I've been on both of them. If there were problems as a result of geocachers stopping every 528 feet on the ET Highway this is going to be a nightmare. Of course, we don't know what the exact route this rail will take but the coincidence of the State being just over 100 miles long and the route advertised at 91 miles would seem to indicate that'll follow one of those two main roads.

If that turns out to be the case this thing would be very poorly thought out. Roads like Rt 13, 113 and 1 are no remote ET highways. They are very busy roads.

Edited by briansnat

Agree with you there. (One of the tributes is to my sister!)

Think ColdGears is coming up with a new definition of 'Power Trail'. (Not sure what his definiton is???) I did a nice twenty cache Power Trail in Newark, New Jersey. But I guess ColdGears knows better. Oh, well.

Utah (I think) did a state wide series that was in their parks. It was well received from what I understand.

Minnesota also has Safaris set up to highlight their state parks. I've only done one, but it was very well done.

Yeah, I can see where that would lack appeal to some power trail fans. <_<

"What?! I can't take that ammo can down to the next cache location to replace the match safe that is there? How dare they!" :P

Ammo can??? Does not compute. Surely, you meant film cannister!

Think ColdGears is coming up with a new definition of 'Power Trail'. (Not sure what his definiton is???) I did a nice twenty cache Power Trail in Newark, New Jersey. But I guess ColdGears knows better. Oh, well.

There has to be a dividing line between a nice 20 cache power-trail and a 700 cache power trail. The line may be thin and vague, but there is plenty of room between 20 and 700 to realize that the line is crossed. Someone needs to make up new terminology.

There has to be a dividing line between a nice 20 cache power-trail and a 700 cache power trail. The line may be thin and vague, but there is plenty of room between 20 and 700 to realize that the line is crossed. Someone needs to make up new terminology.

Why? :ph34r: There used to be a series along the White Horse Pike from AC to Gloucester. (South Joisey) Think it was near a hundred. But, a lot of them got archived for being in drill holes... Sounded pretty boring!

So. Since you're the one insisting on a 'Power Trail' definition, what is it that definies a 'CG Power Trail'? And we will all try to work within your definition. More than 551 within less than .11?

How about a "Low-power" trail for caches up to 20? bad_boy_animated.gif

Why? :ph34r: There used to be a series along the White Horse Pike from AC to Gloucester. (South Joisey) Think it was near a hundred. But, a lot of them got archived for being in drill holes... Sounded pretty boring!

So. Since you're the one insisting on a 'Power Trail' definition, what is it that definies a 'CG Power Trail'? And we will all try to work within your definition. More than 551 within less than .11?

If it's big enough to have people travel via Airplane to get a higher find count, then it's a full blown numbers trail. I believe 850+ would be plenty enough for people to fly in the Delaware.

Keep in mind folks, this power trail is going to be hidden by the people at the top (The state themselves), I'm sure they aren't stupid and know how to make it very safe.

Edited by Coldgears
Well, I like the term "numbers run trail" to describe the modern "drive 528 feet to the next film can" style trails like the ET Highway trail and the Route 66 trail, which leaves "power trail" for the old-school "walk/ride 550-600 feet to the next unique cache" style trails.

But the distinction doesn't seem to be catching on...

Well, I like the term "numbers run trail" to describe the modern "drive 528 feet to the next film can" style trails like the ET Highway trail and the Route 66 trail, which leaves "power trail" for the old-school "walk/ride 550-600 feet to the next unique cache" style trails.

But the distinction doesn't seem to be catching on...

I like that too. I'm stealing it!

I wouldn't mind finding a few caches in Delaware.

I'd be willing to bet there are some really cool historic locations, and some awesome viewpoints as well.

Apparently the recent powertrail craze has caused the 'Delaware Commission in charge of the Delaware Economic Development' to loose sight of the point of geocaching in general.

Of course, in these desperate economic times, a few Geocachers showing up to run the powertrail could mean the state budget will be balanced next year.

If it's big enough to have people travel via Airplane to get a higher find count, then it's a full blown numbers trail.

Well, since the sole surviving Ape cache is "big" enough to have people travel via airplane, and it does result in a higher find count, I suppose we'll have to call that a power trail now. Hopefully, the Coldgears definition won't catch on, as I do hope to find that one some day, and I'd hate to have my moniker associated with a power trail. :lol: