New Planet of the Apes movie = New APE caches?

Jeremy posted a while back that his contacts had moved on, so it's kinda doubtful that there will be new ape caches.

Just as well. I am not sure why there was a need to remake the movie in 2001 and I do not see any need to remake the cache series today. But to stick with the Tim Burton theme, maybe someone could convince him to approach Groundspeak for a new icon based upon the upcoming Dark Shadows film. I probably could talk my wife into doing that one. And I still like the new Adventures of Tiintin for a movie tie in icon -- I even have a tintin cache - since tintin adventures could be created anywhere. It is too bad that the Eclipse series did not get an icon since it has Pacific Northwest theme that would have worked well for a new trifecta.

Maybe Groundspeak could branch out from movies and create a cache icon based on a novel . . . The possibilities are endless, but people here would probably be screaming about new commercial caches.

Edited by mulvaney

It is too bad that the Eclipse series did not get an icon since it has Pacific Northwest theme that would have worked well for a new trifecta.

I'm from that area. There are enough loons running around looking for the vampires without adding caching to it.

Although I guess it could work out- there are some international locations from the books (disclaimer my mother bought the books for me because she couldn't believe a popular novel could be based in Forks, WA.)

It is too bad that the Eclipse series did not get an icon since it has Pacific Northwest theme that would have worked well for a new trifecta.

I'm from that area. There are enough loons running around looking for the vampires without adding caching to it.

Although I guess it could work out- there are some international locations from the books (disclaimer my mother bought the books for me because she couldn't believe a popular novel could be based in Forks, WA.)

Point taken. Although I probably like Vampires as much as I like Apes, it can be rather daunting in the area. We did the cache at the Welcome to Forks sign and I asked myself what would Bella do to find a cache with so many people taking pictures at the sign . . . Still, there are lots of possibilities for movie-themed icons other than Simians.

Point taken. Although I probably like Vampires as much as I like Apes, it can be rather daunting in the area. We did the cache at the Welcome to Forks sign and I asked myself what would Bella do to find a cache with so many people taking pictures at the sign . . . Still, there are lots of possibilities for movie-themed icons other than Simians.

She'd trip, fall down, and cut herself on the cache on the way down. :D

I've actually not cached out that far yet. I might have to spend a week with my folks at some point to do that. Usually I spend a day or two with them every year or so.

And I still like the new Adventures of Tiintin for a movie tie in icon --

Excellent - perhaps this time around they could all be on this side of the Atlantic... ;)

Yeah, baby. Let's have a Tintin triad. With maybe a snowy the dog icon from the adventures of tinting be the icon. THAT would be sweet.

Personally i have no problem with commercialization of geocaching. look how well other location based games are doing like foursquare and gowalla. If I found a cool cache and there was a buy one get one free coupon it for something that i might buy what is wrong with that? And movie themed caches with their own icon are cool by me!! Bring it on.

This is just a pie-in-the-sky musing, but I think it would be really cool if Groundspeak could coordinate with all the previous Ape cache owners to get a new container placed and unarchive the listings (even if it violates proximity guidelines). Have this coincide with the opening of Rise of the Apes and maybe set a deadline for when the caches will go dormant again...be it a day, week, month, year, whatever. Once the cache goes dormant (or gets archived before that point), it is gone forever.

The attraction of the old APE caches was their age, the unique icon, and the fact that it was the first major promotion that Groundspeak connected geocaching to. I suspect the response from the lily pad to suggestions that they pursue the remake of the remake and ressuract the WA APE cache would be-"meh been there done that, got lots of cool swag for the initial cache contents too. Got anything new for us to look at?"

And I would tend to agree with that position. I agree that is sucks that a misguided sad excuse for a cacher decided that his joy at possessing this container and causing angst among the community outweighed anything else he/she/they/it may have thought or felt. But its gone, there's nothing to see there anymore except a very nice view, and a neat hike whichever way you make the approach, so it's time to move on.

I had a trip planned to find the one in MD for the week after it went missing. So I made plans to get out to WA to find that one as I really wanted the icon among other motivating reasons. Those who want to see where the WA cache was and enjoy everything else about it can still do so. Those who want to go there for the icon should start packing for Brazil.

Edited by wimseyguy