VERY FRUSTRATED! Prime reviewer not publishing caches!

Two weeks to get a cache published. NA logs ignored for years, and the only one that is allowed to determine if there is a problem, is the one who is causing the problem? What kind of nonsense is that?

I seriously doubt you will find the answer in this forum.

Don't you have to find someone local to be the reviewer?

Please explain how/why mtn-man, excuse me, puppymonster is the reviewer for British Columbia, Canada. Before you go look up his profile, puppymonster lives in Atlanta, Georgia.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but the history I have heard is that Jeremy was the original Reviewer of all caches. Eventually he got some help. Our main reviewer here in Hawaii is erik88l-r, he also lives in the Atlanta area. In addition to Hawaii erik reviews caches in parts of Europe, Asia, & Polynesia. From what I know, Erik, Mtn-man and GPSfun were some of the early reviewers and still review caches far away from where they live.

The funny thing (to me) about this discussion, is that even here in Hawaii where there may be as few as one new cache a week, we have a back up reviewer. I would also add that we here in paradise are very happy with our reviewers, just wish they live closer so we could meet them. :) Of course due to the time difference, (5-6 hours) the FTF hounds have to get up in the middle of the night. ;)

jrr

I don't even know how many reviewers we've got in Washington State. I see lots of different names. They all have been fantastic.

I can see any reviewer needing extra time for a whole lot of caches, but the parts that bother me is

A. The reports that that reviewer won't let anyone else be a reviewer in Texas, and

B. Requests for caches being archived go unanswered

Texas is really big.

Someone tell this guy it is no sin nor insult for there to be more than one reviewer for the whole state.

Please explain how/why mtn-man, excuse me, puppymonster is the reviewer for British Columbia, Canada. Before you go look up his profile, puppymonster lives in Atlanta, Georgia.

Actually our main reviewer right now is Wizard of Ooze. I have been told our reviewer spends 3-5 hours per day volunteering in addition to full time work. I think we could use more reviewers here too. :blink:

I don't even know how many reviewers we've got in Washington State. I see lots of different names. They all have been fantastic.

Yes they have been... There is a lot of history for the reviewers in Washington.

Moun10Bike was one of the first and later became PNWAdmin

Team Misguided was the other main reviewer when I first started caching 3 and a half years ago. Although I believe both can still review caches, for the most part neither of them do anymore.

There are several reviewers in Washington that share the job now. Rock Rabbit and Ice and Wind seem to get the bulk of the work in my area with Wizard of Ooze also being somewhat active. Cascade Reviewer also reviews some caches in my area but I think they do most of their reviewing in Eastern Washington, outside of my notification area which is a 25 mile radius from Snohomish.

Barring a nearly unheard of intervention by GS, there is only one "standard" way that a new reviewer would get added in Texas.

Prime Reviewer would have to ask for help.

The Texas caches tried a sorta revolt several years ago. It got them nowhere. I was at an event near Austin once, and this whole discussion came up. The TX cachers knew who I was, and where I'm from, so they asked me what I think.

I told them this:

Screaming at Groundspeak isn't going to help. Contacting the Lackey that oversees the Reviewers isn't going to help. Calling that Lacky names (yes, that had started) sure wasn't going to help.

Those folks wanted me to tell them who that Lackey is, so they could flood that e-mail address. I didn't do that,m either.

Bottom line, if PR doesn't ask, not much is gonna happen.

From what I've seen, reviewers recommend reviewers. I've seen the Province of Ontario go from 3 reviewers for all of the entire Country of Canada (one of whom didn't even live there), to 5 in Ontario alone in the last 4 years. I suppose if a reviewer doesn't recommend anyone to be a new reviewer, there will be no new reviewers. :blink:

And I doubt that he's too interested in doing that, either.

Well, if and when he does ask for help, the first question is going to be "so who ya' want?" And the answer probably isn't going to be little Suzie from Abilene, or Little Johnny from Wichita Falls who raised their hands. Or the guy whose wife came here and yelled at us. :blink: Personally, I'd recommend Hank from Arlen.

From what I've seen, reviewers recommend reviewers. I've seen the Province of Ontario go from 3 reviewers for all of the entire Country of Canada (one of whom didn't even live there), to 5 in Ontario alone in the last 4 years. I suppose if a reviewer doesn't recommend anyone to be a new reviewer, there will be no new reviewers. :blink:

Ontario is a lot bigger than Texas (415,000 sq. mi vs. 268,000 sq. mi.) :)

And counting Cache Tech, we actually are up to 6 reviewers at last count. We added 2 in the last few weeks. And they are busy. In the last 30 days, there has been close to 1,000 new caches in Ontario. Not to mention all the archiving, etc. the reviewers perform. And BTW, we have the best reviewers in the world. :)

And counting Cache Tech, we actually are up to 6 reviewers at last count. We added 2 in the last few weeks. And they are busy. In the last 30 days, there has been close to 1,000 new caches in Ontario. Not to mention all the archiving, etc. the reviewers perform. And BTW, we have the best reviewers in the world. :)

46,000 caches and one reviewer in Texas. 26,000 caches and 6 reviewers in Ontario (if you count Cache-Tech). Yep, I can see these threads being started. :o Correct, Ontario has the best reviewers in the world. I can get my nose brown with the best of them. :D

I've found that Prime Reviewer does a pretty good job as long as people post NA when something needs his attention. In my part of the state, at least, people tend to let crappy caches be crappy caches for years and years without posting even as much as a NM to the cache owner.

But once people start contacting Prime Reviewer about any problems, PR is right there taking a look at them and dealing with them as necessary. I'm quite surprised that PR covers the area and number of caches he does. That's gotta be one heck of a workload. But it's not a job I would ever want.

I've found that Prime Reviewer does a pretty good job as long as people post NA when something needs his attention. In my part of the state, at least, people tend to let crappy caches be crappy caches for years and years without posting even as much as a NM to the cache owner.

But once people start contacting Prime Reviewer about any problems, PR is right there taking a look at them and dealing with them as necessary. I'm quite surprised that PR covers the area and number of caches he does. That's gotta be one heck of a workload. But it's not a job I would ever want.

Yeah, I've never had a problem with PR myself. I know that any time I've contacted him he's always responded quickly and politely. I also don't see how he does it. I've seen caches go live at all kinds of crazy times of the day and night. I think he lives off Monster drinks and no sleep. I can't say I always agree with him, but that's OK too. Making those tough calls is what he gets the big bucks for. :laughing:

You obviously cannot be from Texas! I have reported MANY that need archiving, and it has been nearly a year and they still are not archived nor has a 30 day notice been sent.

Yeah, I've never had a problem with PR myself. I know that any time I've contacted him he's always responded quickly and politely. I also don't see how he does it. I've seen caches go live at all kinds of crazy times of the day and night. I think he lives off Monster drinks and no sleep. I can't say I always agree with him, but that's OK too. Making those tough calls is what he gets the big bucks for. :laughing:

What do you mean tough calls? Calls about what? Whether to publish or not?

I have never said they guy is not doing a good job, I think he does an amazing job, especially since he is the only reviewer for the whole state of Texas, I just think it's time the Groundspeak admit it's time to get him some help! Why can't the chores be divided up?

That would make a lot of sense!! No one should have to carry the burden of all those caches!! People have lives and I can see that this job alone could consume one persons life!

46,000 caches and one reviewer in Texas. 26,000 caches and 6 reviewers in Ontario (if you count Cache-Tech). Yep, I can see these threads being started. :o Correct, Ontario has the best reviewers in the world. I can get my nose brown with the best of them. :D

94000 caches in California, a little more than twice that of Texas, but we have five times the reviewers. Things work well here. If a new cache submission meets guidelines, it's usually published the same day. Post a NA on a problem cache and the warning is posted within hours. No response in a month, it's archived.

Actually our main reviewer right now is Wizard of Ooze. I have been told our reviewer spends 3-5 hours per day volunteering in addition to full time work. I think we could use more reviewers here too. :blink:

I've had a cache in for review since April. It had a few problems initially but I fixed those and resubmitted for review on May 10th. I followed up last weekend. No change in status and no reply. I've seen the PR publish dozens of caches locally since I updated my cache info, many I know were submitted since May 10th. Now I find out the PR is reviewing in another geographic location when he can't even keep up with the ones in our part of the country. You're not the only one frustrated. What can I do if I can't get the PR to publish or respond? It's not like I can lodge a complaint somewhere. Ugh

Edited by BAMA1986

I've had a cache in for review since April. It had a few problems initially but I fixed those and resubmitted for review on May 10th. I followed up last weekend. No change in status and no reply. I've seen the PR publish dozens of caches locally since I updated my cache info, many I know were submitted since May 10th. Now I find out the PR is reviewing in another geographic location when he can't even keep up with the ones in our part of the country. You're not the only one frustrated. What can I do if I can't get the PR to publish or respond? It's not like I can lodge a complaint somewhere. Ugh

now that is ridiculous lol

instead of complaining here in the forums, where GC has admitted not following the activity, why not start a new topic in the Feedback section?

its supposed to be a fun activity not something that would raise one's blood pressure

i seriously don't see why is so dadgum hard to assign reviewers, they;'re not judges for crying out loud and those get chosen more freely

Edited by t4e

now that is ridiculous lol

instead of complaining here in the forums, where GC has admitted not following the activity, why not start a new topic in the Feedback section?

its supposed to be a fun activity not something that would raise one's blood pressure

i seriously don't see why is so dadgum hard to assign reviewers, they;'re not judges for crying out loud and those get chosen more freely

If I were in this situation, I would write directly to Groundspeak.

There is a lot of misinformation and speculation in this thread, but in particular I needed to post in response to BAMA1986. This member's cache submission is not located in Texas, and is not being reviewed by Prime Reviewer. And, it still doesn't meet the listing guidelines.

ANY geocacher, anywhere, can write to the Volunteer Program coordinators at any time with any complaint about their local reviewer. That is what these Lackeys do -- make sure that the program functions smoothly. They can and will step in when additional assistance is required, if a single cache has slipped through the cracks, or if a cache hider disagrees with a reviewer's judgement on a particular submission.

Edited by Keystone
...I have reported MANY that need archiving, and it has been nearly a year and they still are not archived nor has a 30 day notice been sent.
Care to post some examples of caches you've posted a NA on? Perhaps they've seen your NA and decided that the cache is fine. If I went and posted NA's on your caches, you'd then be whining about how PR archived all your caches if they acted on every NA log.
1. What were the "few problems" with your unpublished cache? What did you do to resolve them?

2. Where do you get the idea that PR is reviewing caches in another area?

3. Of course you can lodge a complaint. contact@geocaching.com

It's usually fun right about now when Keystone pops in and reveals the real reason your cache won't be published. . . :anitongue:

There is a lot of misinformation and speculation in this thread, but in particular I needed to post in response to BAMA1986. This member's cache submission is not located in Texas, and is not being reviewed by Prime Reviewer. And, it still doesn't meet the listing guidelines.

Thanks, Keystone, for clearing that up.

How can BAMA86 deal with the situation? Are there reviewer notes on his cache submission that he needs to post a response?

I get the feeling that there is a disconnect in communications with reviewers that cache placers don't know how to handle. I'm wondering why BAMA86 thinks that "Prime Reviewer" is the reviewer who he should be in communication with regarding his cache.

...I have reported MANY that need archiving, and it has been nearly a year and they still are not archived nor has a 30 day notice been sent.
Care to post some examples of caches you've posted a NA on? Perhaps they've seen your NA and decided that the cache is fine. If I went and posted NA's on your caches, you'd then be whining about how PR archived all your caches if they acted on every NA log.
1. What were the "few problems" with your unpublished cache? What did you do to resolve them?

2. Where do you get the idea that PR is reviewing caches in another area?

3. Of course you can lodge a complaint. contact@geocaching.com

It's usually fun right about now when Keystone pops in and reveals the real reason your cache won't be published. . . :anitongue:

GC1417E Not a year on this one but a good while

GCYD8H Took a year but did get done, actually just disabled

GC14VZX Took a year from first request then two more were made before archiving

GC1M7K5. There are several like this one were people have reported that it needs maintenance or archiving for over a year and co finally disabled it and it still sits for months.

If there I'd any way you can just look at my logs this would be much easier.

Many times I've just come across them and seen them.

I'm not saying he is a horrible prime reviewer, I'm saying he needs help!

mtn-man is one of the reviewers for BC. He does a great job, even when he gets inundated with caches to publish for our annual Hide and Go Event on Vancouver Island. We now also have Wizard of Ooze and Scootch as reviewers - maybe they are local, maybe not. Like mtn-man, they know who to contact if they need further local info, or where to go to get it.

GC1M7K5. There are several like this one were people have reported that it needs maintenance or archiving for over a year and co finally disabled it and it still sits for months.

If you are claiming a pattern of reviewer inattentiveness to "Needs Archived" logs, this is not a good collection of examples. Remember, a reviewer is only alerted to take action when a "Needs Archived" log is entered.

Reviewers MAY, but are not obligated to, search out caches in their territory that have been "temporarily disabled" for a long period of time, or that have unanswered "Needs Maintenance" logs, or a pattern of DNF logs.

```````````````````

Oh No!!

WASHINGTON State has the best reviewers in the world.

And I'm not brown-nosing either.

I think "credit where credit due"

and I also think this should not be all about complaining.

There are issues here that should be addressed, but rather than just have it be a complaint free-for-all I want to acknowledge the hard work that goes into that job (and yes, others have pointed it out too, but it bears repeating).

Thank you WA reviewers!!!!

There is a lot of misinformation and speculation in this thread

The scariest thing I've seen in this thread was the rumor that Prime Reviewer threatened to quit if another reviewer were to be assigned to share his burden in Texas. Everything else I've read, I could kinda, almost say, "It's possible... Doubtful, but possible", but that one I cannot accept. That would mean one person is using coercion to dictate the actions of a corporation. I ain't buying it. I suspect that any reviewer who tried something like that would be removed from their post faster than they could say "Published".

But that does beg a question from anyone in the know:

We know there are a vocal few who clamber regularly for more reviewers in Texas. We know Groundspeak has no problem finding folks who would be willing to do the job, and have the right temperament. Assuming Groundspeak happened by one of these threads, and saw the comments from the vocal few, would they add another reviewer if Prime Reviewer told them, "I got this. It's all good". I guess what I'm trying to ask is, if PR does not ask for assistance, and instead insists that he can do the job solo, would Groundspeak ever go against his wishes and appoint someone anyway?

GC1417E First NA log posted April 9, by you. No DNF logs.

GCYD8H First NA posted April 8. Cache is now disabled.

GC14VZX First NA log a year ago, but no compelling reason given to archive other than "Searched today. Notta. Owner needs to verify that it is there. Cache hasn't been found in a while." After much more recent (and detailed) logs, cache is archived.

GC1M7K5 First NA log posted April 8, owner disabled the next day.

Got any better examples? These look like they are being handled exactly like they should.

I've never worked tih PR but I have worked with both the Reveiwers for my area (I have no idea where they are actually at, I'd guess not right in the Four Corners but that doesn't bother me). Sometimes I think AlpineReveiwer might be more then one person- they keep odd hours.

On topic: From what I see in the forums caches that meet the guidlines are published quickely. Those that don't usually have issues that the CO needs to respond to. I don't know what the caches to reveiw list looks like, but we've been told that it shows up in order of GC code.

You obviously cannot be from Texas! I have reported MANY that need archiving, and it has been nearly a year and they still are not archived nor has a 30 day notice been sent.

Au contraire. I have logged many caches that NA, and they have in fact been archived by PR. 10 caches have been archived by my last count since 2010, and two have been disabled and will be archived soon (and those are only the ones that I posted NA on). Most have simply been unmaintained by the owners (most of which from owners who no longer participate). PR gives those owners plenty of time to address the issue on their own before taking action. A couple of those have obviously been problematic placements, and PR has archived those within a single day of me posting NA.

Archived:

GC1GWTQ

GCTH5Z

GCMV4F

GCQMNY

GCKQYT

GCRE10

GC2AM8Y

GC2A1A

GCHMC8

GCMTCZ

Disabled:

GC18NG5

GC10HMK

Well I'd just like to get my caches published before someone else tries to place caches in the spots I've already done.

I know that because of the nature of many humans they will now take even longer to get published. My intent was never to criticize the reviewer, but instead to make a case for why Texas needs more reviewers.

I repeatedly stated that I cannot even begin to imagine how one person could possibly handle all the stuff that is required. I know how it is to volunteer to do something and listened to people complain about how it's done, yet they aren't willing to lift a finger to help. That is why I offered to help. It was not intended to be a personal attack on him/her.

I have emailed him personally to see if there is a problem but I have still not heard from him. I did also post a reviewers note on every cache I sent up too. They all

stated that caches did not need to be held, but could be

posted at his convenience and if there was a better way for

ne to submit them to please let me know. I want to do

whatever it takes to make his job easier.

So, as I'm sure he has seen these post, I am apologizing that it probably feels like a personal attack against you, but in no way was it personal. I know you job is abundant and frustrating at times. Please forgive me for hurting your feelings.

Well I'd just like to get my caches published before someone else tries to place caches in the spots I've already done.

With your caches in the queue the spot is yours.

but instead to make a case for why Texas needs more reviewers.

So far the case has not been made

I have emailed him personally to see if there is a problem but I have still not heard from him.

Perhaps PR feels it is better to work on your caches than spend time responding to your emails.

but could be posted at his convenience

That seems to be the case

yet they aren't willing to lift a finger to help.

Nothing presented so far shows this to be the case

Well I'd just like to get my caches published before someone else tries to place caches in the spots I've already done.....

You're not SERIOUSLY suggesting that while you have an active review pending that Prime Reviewer would let someone hijack your prior cache submission, and publish a brand new submission for someone else within that interference zone instead ???????????

He used to review Minnesota caches as well back when I first started.

Nevertheless, I must say that we have heard from so many about problems with Texas that it is (or at least should be) hard to ignore. And that is just from the various forum posts over the years. I was not aware of actual regional action that was mentioned in a previous thread.

Well I'd just like to get my caches published before someone else tries to place caches in the spots I've already done.....

You're not SERIOUSLY suggesting that while you have an active review pending that Prime Reviewer would let someone hijack your prior cache submission, and publish a brand new submission for someone else within that interference zone instead ???????????

I am not sure how the process works. If there are others that are being published infront of mine, how is it that it wouldn't be possible? If mine are being looked over, because there are so many of them, and he goes to a few in that area that someone else only posted a few, how does he know where mine are located if he hasn't had the chance to review them yet.

Again, not a personal assault on reviewer, I guess just ignorance of how it all works.

To me unless he has an automated system that loads all the coordinates up as the caches are submitted, yes, I can see how it could happen.

My intent was never to criticize the reviewer,

Really? You fooled pretty much everyone.

So, as I'm sure he has seen these post, I am apologizing that it probably feels like a personal attack against you, but in no way was it personal. I know you job is abundant and frustrating at times. Please forgive me for hurting your feelings.

I'm starting to think there may have been some off-line comms.....

Edited by Shop99er

If I were the reviewer for disciplesonmission, and I saw the crap he's posting in this thread, I'd put all of his caches on the back burner to sit and rot for a few weeks.

I'm tellin' ya. Slinging poo is NOT the way to get on a reviewer's good side. :rolleyes:

I'm willing to bet that is why it is taking so long. He most likely got some nasty-grams from the OP before he (OP) resorted to the name calling on the forum. That's the way to teach a teacher a lesson. I find it extremely hard to believe the OP is a teacher.

I'm willing to bet that is why it is taking so long.

Surely a Groundspeak volunteer reviewer wouldn't be so petulant. From what I've seen, these folks are carefully chosen, using criteria to include geocaching experience, guideline knowledge and professional demeanor. Assuming for argument's sake that the OP's caches do take longer than other caches placed in similar areas, I would hope the reason wasn't personal.

If I were the reviewer for disciplesonmission, and I saw the crap he's posting in this thread, I'd put all of his caches on the back burner to sit and rot for a few weeks.

I'm tellin' ya. Slinging poo is NOT the way to get on a reviewer's good side. :rolleyes:

I've only ever slung poo at the reviewer on the other side of my State, not my own. Is that OK? :anitongue: Well, we could always have disciplesonmission's husband come here and yell at us. (obscure reference to another "Texas needs more reviewer's thread")

I'm willing to bet that is why it is taking so long.
Surely a Groundspeak volunteer reviewer wouldn't be so petulant.
It doesn't have to be done out of petulance. I moderate another forum, and there are times when I deliberately put frustrating issues aside so I can deal with them later, after I've cooled down. The net result may appear similar (provoking the moderator slows down the response to your question/issue), but it really isn't done petulantly.

I'm willing to bet that is why it is taking so long. He most likely got some nasty-grams from the OP before he (OP) resorted to the name calling on the forum. That's the way to teach a teacher a lesson. I find it extremely hard to believe the OP is a teacher.

There is no need to be rude.

I have not called anyone a name, nor have I sent any "nasty-grams". I came into this actually not even knowing that Texas had only one reviewer so it was not a personal attack against the Prime Reviewer. Yes, I was upset and angry when I posted originally, but I still feel that I have some legitimate complaints. Yes, I'll agree, I should have worded some things differently, however, I do not change my opinion that Texas needs more reviewers. It is obvious that to complain or suggest that is a big NO-NO in this forum, regardless of its validity.

If I could disable this post and erase it, I would, as I see now that it was pointless and fruitless. Although I will say that it probably did get me one thing, prolonged posting of the pending caches I currently have waiting and any future caches.

To those whose responses were helpful, thanks!

To those who were not, I apologize for offending you.

Nevertheless, I must say that we have heard from so many about problems with Texas that it is (or at least should be) hard to ignore. And that is just from the various forum posts over the years. I was not aware of actual regional action that was mentioned in a previous thread.

I was wondering about that as well. Why this "problem" keep coming up? Someone is in denial. :unsure:

I wouldn't be surprised.

But it could be anything. Maybe there are other powertrails in the queue for PR right now and there's just a backlog. Maybe PR is dealing with more pressing permissions issues somewhere else in the state. Maybe PR is sick and in the hospital or has a family member sick in the hospital. Maybe PR has a pressing deadline at work.

But absolutely insulting him on the forums is not going to get the CO anywhere.

I wouldn't be surprised.

But it could be anything. Maybe there are other powertrails in the queue for PR right now and there's just a backlog. Maybe PR is dealing with more pressing permissions issues somewhere else in the state. Maybe PR is sick and in the hospital or has a family member sick in the hospital. Maybe PR has a pressing deadline at work.

But absolutely insulting him on the forums is not going to get the CO anywhere.

Oh, I don't think they've insulted him, and believe me, it's not the first "Texas need more reviewers" thread. I do however, think there's probably a thread going on in the top secret reviewer only forum on this. Careful guy's, you don't want to out several of yourselves by all signing up en-masse for another website on the same day. Not that that ever actually happened or anything. :ph34r: