PiGo iPhone app is now Wherigo official app

PapaMinion

Well this is very interesting. I checked for app updates a few minutes ago and the PiGo app, which at this point is the only Wherigo app for the iPhone, has an update. I clicked on the app to get information about the update and it states the following on the update page:

What's New in Version 1.3

Name changed from PiGo to Wherigo; now the official Groundspeak, Inc. app! Also, game is auto-saved on quitting for uploading your unlock file. Plus minor improvements to better support more cartridges.

I am shocked that I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere. I hope this means Wherigo is getting the push it needs finally. The app is still free (for now) so get it if you haven't already.

Wow! This is great...I think. It's the first sign in a long time that GS is actually allocating some resources to Wherigo.

Looking at the About page, there's no mention of Pigo or PiSoft anywhere, so I guess GS bought it completely. They must have someone who went in and checked the code and made changes to the little icons and such. I hope that there's a dedicated Wherigo team who are working on improvements.

I wonder if they will do the same with the Droid app, Wheryougo. I haven't seen it, so I don't know how similar it is (or not) to the iPhone app.

Yes, this is official: Groundspeak acquired PiGo. The original developer will continue to develop Wherigo for iPhone (as I'll also call it). It's nice I can finally talk about it.

As a side note, Whack-A-Lackey now runs on Wherigo for iPhone. Too bad Battleship doesn't. The app is getting closer to completion, though.

I just downloaded the app to the iphone and I too saw where it says it's the GC official app. That's Great! But, there were no instructions on what the next step is, but I'm going to wing it and guess I need to get the WIG cartridge into the app section of the phone? Is there a FAQ or For Dummies section that someone can point me to? Something added to the app to point to forums/Help secition would be a nice addition.

Life is much easier with the correct app! I spoke with another cacher and he couldn't make heads nor tail of what I had on my phone. Seems there are two "Where I Go" named apps, one is a mapping app for posting your goings on Facebook, and is provided by Knockoutapps. The correct one has the blue background and white arrow NOT a green background and a symbol....

Was able to download a couple of local cartridges with no issues. Have to try them out later.

The correct one: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/pigo/id385035547?mt=8#

My GPS is not Wherigo capable. However I have the iPhone 3G and downloaded this app last week. Regrettably, the app won't let me play a Wherigo cartridge because the accuracy of my iPhones GPS is anywhere between 300 feet to a mile. Is there anything I can do to improve the 3G accuracy? Is that typical for other 3G users? Will I be able to play Wherigo's if I upgrade to an iPhone 4?

There are no Wherigo's in CT. I am working on planting the first in CT, retracing the steps of George Washington on his travel through my home town in 1775 and 89.

Thanks,

Alan of BAAM-CT

My GPS is not Wherigo capable. However I have the iPhone 3G and downloaded this app last week. Regrettably, the app won't let me play a Wherigo cartridge because the accuracy of my iPhones GPS is anywhere between 300 feet to a mile. Is there anything I can do to improve the 3G accuracy? Is that typical for other 3G users? Will I be able to play Wherigo's if I upgrade to an iPhone 4?

Thanks,

Alan of BAAM-CT

My husband and I did our first Wherigo at Ramapo College with both iphone 4 and the Oregon.

It's funny (weird) that half way thru the tour, the Oregon kept locking up and my husband couldn't get it back after rebooting it a couple times (it had new batteries also). So - we had to rely on the iphone to finish the tour. The iphone did fine. Sometimes you had to walk around a bit for the phone to 'find' the coords and get you the credit to move on..... At the end of the tour, we should've seen some coordinates for a cache. But - I don't know where those coordinates were and/or how to access them. I'm not sure if they were there at all....whether it was something with the APP, the cartridge, or what?? We never got the cache at the end (we took pictures to prove we were there) and gave ourselves a smilie.

I'd like to do another one...but there just aren't any around here.

Speaking of which, how do you produce one of these things. Looks interesting....

There are no Wherigo's in CT. I am working on planting the first in CT, retracing the steps of George Washington on his travel through my home town in 1775 and 89.

Thanks,

Alan of BAAM-CT

I have heard really good things from friends regarding the Magellan ToughCase for iPhones. http://www.magellangps.com/lp/toughcase/index.html It improves the accuracy of the GPS on your iPhone as well as making it waterproof.

I really like your idea of retracing the steps of George Washington. That's a really fun idea!

Thanks,

Alan of BAAM-CT

The problem is that the iPhone will take readings from satellites, cell phone signals, 3G signals, and wifi signals to triangulate your location. If you don't have a solid satellite lock, the other methods at best give you about a 300' accuracy. There is a program called MotionX GPS lite. I would suggest downloading it. Open up the program and go to Menu/ My Position. When the little globe in the upper right corner turns green, it will mean you have a good satellite lock and your accuracy should be within 30'. It may take several minutes to get the lock though. To speed up the process, you can turn off WiFi and 3G.

I finally got to test the app at the Midwest GeoBash. We did the one on the grounds and, aside from the satellite bouncing us around a couple times and having to go back to the previous zone before moving ahead it worked flawless. I hope with Groundspeak purchasing this app that means that future updates will integrate website functionality so that you can download cartridges directly from the app instead of having to use the website and downloading the file using the "Pocket PC"option. It just feels too bootleg at this point.