New Garmin GPSMAP 62S and?

My family and I are light geocachers but would like to do it more throughout the year. We've managed so far with a Garmin Nuvi 1200 for GPS, and my Kindle 3G for paperless hints/ logs.

It's not ideal, the GPS can be very iffy, and I'd like to do it all with one device to lighten the load.

I am considering buying the Garmin GPSMAP 62S but it's really at the top end of my budget, so before I buy, I wonder what else would I need to purchase to be able to get right to it & make it my one and only device when we leave the house?

I can see what *is* included on the specs, but what might I still need (other than a screen protector and carry case)?

Thanks!!

My family and I are light geocachers but would like to do it more throughout the year. We've managed so far with a Garmin Nuvi 1200 for GPS, and my Kindle 3G for paperless hints/ logs.

It's not ideal, the GPS can be very iffy, and I'd like to do it all with one device to lighten the load.

I am considering buying the Garmin GPSMAP 62S but it's really at the top end of my budget, so before I buy, I wonder what else would I need to purchase to be able to get right to it & make it my one and only device when we leave the house?

I can see what *is* included on the specs, but what might I still need (other than a screen protector and carry case)?

Thanks!!

I have added the city navigator ( on micro SD card ) plus the carry case with button panel access ... to be certain a screen cover is a good addition. I also have regional segments of topos on micro SD cards, however, I infrequently use them.

Good luck and happy caching.

I have added the city navigator ( on micro SD card ) plus the carry case with button panel access ... to be certain a screen cover is a good addition. I also have regional segments of topos on micro SD cards, however, I infrequently use them.

Thanks. Regarding the SD cards, do they then load to the device or are you always accessing them from the SD? In other words, you take them in and out, or once loaded they are on for good?

And with city navigator, that would eliminate my need even for the car GPS for route navigation, I assume?

And with city navigator, that would eliminate my need even for the car GPS for route navigation, I assume?

Talkytoaster's maps are free**, and would give you a chance to save a few pounds...

SatNav is the best for car directions. GPS's won't give turn by turn voice directions. At best they give you written directions, and 'Beep' when a turn is coming up.

Sure is safe, when approaching a junction, to turn to look at your GPS... Not!

** OK, it's not the UK forum! :laughing:

Other free maps are available! :D

Edited by Bear and Ragged

okay, yeah I didn't think about voice. So I keep my existing car gps which needs new maps too, and then upload to that too for getting from place to place.

In that case, would I need city nav for the handheld? I will look into Talkytoaster too...

Thanks. Regarding the SD cards, do they then load to the device or are you always accessing them from the SD? In other words, you take them in and out, or once loaded they are on for good?

I simply leave them in the unit. When the need arises where a unit needs to go into the shop, I pull the card out and plop it into a replacement GPS'r and I am good to go.

Rattle my chain through my profile and we can chat more if you like.

Thanks!!

Me too. It's the best way to go for me. I have the exact setup in my 62s and I'm just a cachin' MACHINE! Seriously, I think the aforementioned combo is a good one.

Edited by luvvinbird