At what point do you start using the Ignore feature?

Redfist

Personally, I haven't yet but am only at ~300 finds. I haven't gotten to the point where I want to ignore a class of cache and only get annoyed (mildly) by seeing particular caches that seem like they should've been archived. I hold out hope though and leave those visible.

1. I keep a bookmark list of all caches of questionable status. Those caches are also on my ignore list.

2. I ignore caches I know I'm not going to do such as caches in people's front yards or those I just know I can't do (I have a bit of a disability).

3. I leave mystery caches out of my PQs. When I solve puzzles or want to include non-puzzle mystery caches (challenges, solve on site, etc.) I add them to a solved puzzles bookmark list with the puzzle solutions or notes about them and then add them to my ignore list.

I don't ignore entire classes of caches, but I do put individual caches on my ignore list. There's one within a stone's throw of my office that was the first cache I chose to ignore. It actually sounds like a really great cache, it has a lot of favorite points. But it's underground, in the storm drains.

I just can't make myself go in there. And I got tired of that blue question mark taunting me every time I looked at the map.

When I solve puzzles or want to include non-puzzle mystery caches (challenges, solve on site, etc.) I add them to a solved puzzles bookmark list with the puzzle solutions or notes about them.

I really should do that. I've solved a bunch of puzzles that I haven't had the chance to find yet. Thanks!

Micros in a place where large containers go immediately to ignore. We have a huge area (Dronan) with many wonderful caches. Somebody put a multi up called Micros in trees. An essy call for me.

Also if I go by a micro in a bush after about 2 minutes it goes there. I am approaching 1,000 caches on it now. Now a clever micro where the logs show it is worth my time will ge some effort.

I can't think of a class of caches I'd want to ignore.

The only time I'd consider using the ignore feature would be if a certain cacher was sprinkling around a lot of low quality caches, or if a cache owner was acting like a jerk and deleting legit log for no good reason. I'd put all of those CO's caches on ignore.

The only time I'd consider using the ignore feature would be if a certain cacher was sprinkling around a lot of low quality caches...<snip>

And this is where the requested ability to ignore by geocacher handle would come in very handy. We should be seeing this very soon, as it has been "prioritized in the system" <_<

Edited by Klatch

At one point I had two caches on my Ignore list. I've since found one of them and the other will be archived soon enough. So that ends my Ignore list.

If I lived in a more cache dense area I might have caches on my Ignore list but there just aren't many caches here that I dislike enough to ignore.

I've got a couple local challenge caches on my ignore list. I don't think I'll ever fill the necessary grids, and I was getting tired of looking at them.

Like Semper Questio, I leave mystery/puzzle caches out of my normal PQs. I have a separate "solved unfound puzzles" bookmark list, and when I solve a puzzle (or read the description and see that it is a field puzzle located at the posted coordinates), I add it to that bookmark list.

My ignore list: puzzles that require trigonometry, combine two or three obscure codes that require complete leaps in faith or logic, knowledge of computer science, or would feel more like work than something that is fun. Caches that require special equipment that I do not have. Caches that I have no interest in doing - these days my time is more important than a smiley.

I will sometimes put caches on my ignore list to get it off the pq, but put it on my watch list to remind me that it is there in case I ever get around to it.

We don't have any on our list, but probably should. There is a guy in our area that insists on putting micros on hangers and climbing in trees to place them. Some of the trees are easy; he only puts those in Blue Spruce trees and you get scratched all to heck. Others he has put in trees that stand on creek banks, and hang over the edge and are fairly risky. We have done those we feel comfortable with, however if has come up in discussions with our local caching community to make some of those caches disappear.

To date he has place over 50 caches of both types, and all are within 10 miles of my home. Very frustrating.

The only time I'd consider using the ignore feature would be if a certain cacher was sprinkling around a lot of low quality caches...<snip>

And this is where the requested ability to ignore by geocacher handle would come in very handy. We should be seeing this very soon, as it has been "prioritized in the system" <_<

I still don't know what that means. It certainly doesn't mean "we are planning on doing something about it."

I put caches on my ignore list for a few reasons.

A. Challenge caches near enough to reach my top pages that I cant realistically do in the foreseeable future (ie drive around the state or something crazy)

B. Caches that are not findable, ie disabled, and would be in my top pages

C. Water caches (5 terrain) that I just cant reasonably do. I know they are in my ignore list if I want to see them or do them some day.

Once an inactive cache becomes active (or an active one becomes findable) or a cache gets archived, I remove from ignore list.

Usually my ignore list is only about a dozen or two caches.

Any puzzle I haven't solved (especially those I have no idea even where to start), and any challenge I am not even close to qualifying for.

Any cache by one of several particular hiders on my 'short list'.

'Needle in a haystack' type hides I didn't find on the first attempt(or even the third, fourth or fifth attempt).

Any other cache I have tried to find multiple times with no results (except frustration).

Thanks, I feel better now.

P.S. My ignore list is over 1000 now.

EDITED to add P.S.

Edited by AZcachemeister

I actually quit using my ignore list, when I learned how to tweak my PQs to maximize my caching pleasure. I found that locally the type of caches that most frequently utilized crappy containers in uninspired locations were listed as micros, unknown and not chosen. Since my quirky bias runs contrary to crappy containers in uninspired locations, I excluded those three size designations from my PQs, and my caching has been mostly blissful. I also read every newly published cache page, on the off chance that a quality micro/other/not chosen will sneak in, and I pay close attention to the recommendations of my friends. For the most part, this lets me know about the wheat amongst the chaff. Since I've never really been much of a radius slave, having icons on my map doesn't particularly bother me, therefor I haven't had a need to ignore things like puzzles I can't solve or caches which require more physical effort than my old, fat, crippled self can produce.

When I solve puzzles or want to include non-puzzle mystery caches (challenges, solve on site, etc.) I add them to a solved puzzles bookmark list with the puzzle solutions or notes about them.

I really should do that. I've solved a bunch of puzzles that I haven't had the chance to find yet. Thanks!

To take it to the next step, I get a PQ of my solved puzzles bookmark as part of my weekly PQ routine. That gives me the recent logs and current status which I don't get otherwise because I exclude mystery caches from my regular PQs. I also put the solved coords and/or notes in my GSAK data so the bookmarks act as a backup to my GSAK.

Using GSAK, I filter out caches which are Disabled or have had three of more straight DNFs so I guess that sort of counts as ignoring them as they never hit my GPSr.

As for the actual Ignore list, the caches on it usually fall into one of these categories:

- Challenge caches where I don't think I'll ever meet, or maybe even want to meet, the requirements.

- Puzzle caches which appear to be too difficult or tedious to solve

- Caches which require equipment such as a boat

- Caches from certain hiders, especially if it is listed as a micro

- Caches where any of the previous seekers have commented in their logs about having an unpleasant experience...trashy areas, high visibility locations, encounters with neighbors, needle in a haystack hides, homeless camps, etc.

- Any cache I DNF if the experience was not fun for me

I have never used the ignore feature.

However, there are plenty of caches I ignore. Sometimes I drive away when I get close enough to know I don't want to search due to trash or such, sometimes the cache is just in an area with too many muggles, sometimes I avoid the ones that sound like poor containers.

I have started put on uninspired micros (bus shelters, lamposts in parking lots) on the ignore list, along with caches placed by a few specific users. There has been a recent spate of caches in questionable locations (like in the base of a lamp post along with live wires).

This helps keep the maps and PQs clean of caches I have no intention of find. Count is up over 100 right now.

My ignore list: puzzles that require trigonometry, combine two or three obscure codes that require complete leaps in faith or logic, knowledge of computer science, or would feel more like work than something that is fun.

That's funny, because those first three criteria get caches put on my favorites list!

My ignore list contains only caches that require going into the storm drains under the town. And yes, in my area that includes a fairly substantial number of caches.

Ignoring:

Parking lots.

Back of shopping centers.

Park and grab.

Most caches that state "use stealth"

Some puzzle caches that I haven't or can't solve.

Kayak/canoe caches (There are aound 180 in our area. I would like to do these one day. But I don't own a canoe/Kayak right now)

Most micros.

1185 on ignore list right now.

With the recent VDOT ban on caches, I expect my ignore list to get smaller.

Ignoring:

Parking lots.

Park and grab.

Kayak/canoe caches (There are aound 180 in our area. I would like to do these one day. But I don't own a canoe/Kayak right now)

Most micros.

Whoa. Your scaring me.

Yes, virtuals ARE caches, just like Earthcaches ARE caches. If they weren't, you wouldn't get a smiley for doing them. I have several on my ignore list, all from a CO that does not understand the difference between GZ and the actual cache physical location. Some of his are not the same.

I tend to ignore caches by CO. There are some people who hide caches in a manner that I don't care to look for. I didn't start ignoring caches until I had about 2000 finds or so. By that time my unfound cache radius went out so far that I was starting to get into a territory where the CO's in question hide their caches. I didn't even want to bother looking for their caches when I was out in those areas.

I only have one cache on ignore. It's a challenge cache with virtually impossible logging requirements (now awaiting change as the APE cache is gone). Other than that, I'm up to anything.

What's it called?

It's archived now. Total fail/joke of a cache.

The only caches on my ignore list are ones that I helped hide as part of a group, but do not own.

It would be poor form to log finds on those, so I don't want to see them in my PQ results. I'm a bit of an omniverous cacher, and 1000 results gives me plenty of variety when I am heading out locally. I might decide to skip/ignore a cache because of the type/location/hider on a particular date. But not permanently.

I do cut my local PQ off at 4.5* terrain as there are almost 100 paddle caches within my normal radius that I won't go for unless there is a serious planned date, so I don't bother keeping those listings in my GSAK or GPS. When I am heading out of town I will be more selective with the PQ variables, but won't add anything to the ignore list.

And on longer road trips I am very selective about what I am interested in seeking based on the time that will be available to cache. I tend to use the bookmark feature for that.

Nothing is always, but my ignore list consists mostly of...

Puzzles that I can't or don't feel like doing.

Needle in the haystack micros.. i.e. evergreen bingo, 100000 rocks and a bison tube.. Etc.

HIgh intensity muggle areas.

Playing with electricity caches.

Yes, virtuals ARE caches, just like Earthcaches ARE caches. If they weren't, you wouldn't get a smiley for doing them.

For some folks, they are not. It all comes down to your individual caching aesthetics, coupled with some inner bias, with a dash of Groundspeak policy tossed in for added flavoring. For instance, when I close my eyes and envision "geocache", I see an ammo can hidden in a cool spot. That's just what my poor little brain comes up with. In interpreting this vision, I've come to accept that, for me, a geocache is a (hopefully) watertight container, placed in such a manner as to avoid notice by the real world.

Groundspeak obviously doesn't share my vision. For TPTB, a geocache can be a roadside plaque. Unless the coordinates for said plaque were gathered after a certain date. Then that same plaque cannot be a geocache. (Welcome to Waymarking :lolA geocache can also be a sinkhole. A geocache can also be a bunch of nerds picking up trash along a highway. A geocache can also be a webcam with a live feed. Unless the coordinates to the webcam were gathered after a certain date. Then that same webcam cannot be a geocache. A geocache can also be 5 or 6 friends sitting around eating pizza. In times gone by, a geocache could be a street sign with a funny name, or a yellow Jeep driving down the interstate. After all, you get smileys for them, right? They must be geocaches!

But a geocache cannot be a metal disk, embedded into concrete, at a specific spot.

Unless TPTB decide, at some later date, to include Benchmarks in your total caches found count.

Suggesting that something is a geocache just because it increases someone's find count, while technically accurate according to the standards created by this website, may sound somewhat simplified to those who don't follow that same concept. B)

Ignoring:

Parking lots.

Park and grab.

Most micros.

Whoa. Your scaring me.

Don't be scared. :D There are plenty of us out there who ignore caches in public landscaping, such as the one in the since closed VDOT thread. I don't know if my ignore list will ever reach 500, as I purge archived caches from it every month or two, and it just never seems to get above the low 400's.

"Stealth required"? Generally, it's a red flag, but there's a newer cache placer near me who seems to want to put that phrase on every one of their cache pages, even if it's in an isolated section of a park. And I believe the Stealth attribute is WAYYY overused on cache pages. I only looked at that once because someone suggested filtering PQ's by that. But it would never work, from the cache pages I've looked at in my area, I'll bet it appears on 20% of them.

Yes, virtuals ARE caches, just like Earthcaches ARE caches. If they weren't, you wouldn't get a smiley for doing them. I have several on my ignore list, all from a CO that does not understand the difference between GZ and the actual cache physical location. Some of his are not the same.

The smiley is what makes something a cache? I guess that makes events caches, but don't think an event comes close to being a cache.

I've used the ignore list when I've failed to find a cache, and did not enjoy the experience so have no plans to try and find it again. I only use it so I don't keep looking at it on the map.

I've not used it for a puzzle I can't solve... as I never totally give up on those.

I've not used it for a cache which I haven't tried to find, but don't like the look of (based on cache page, location etc). There are many caches I've avoided doing for these reasons, but I've not put these on the ignore list.

The smiley is what makes something a cache? I guess that makes events caches, but don't think an event comes close to being a cache.

Some do.

Occasionally we have events where there is an actual container to be found, and a log to sign.

No find and sign, no smiley.

People are confusing caches with cache listings. You don't get a smiley for finding a cache, you get a smiley for posting a particular log on a cache listing, and the listing may or may not be for an actual cache. Big difference there.

Yes, virtuals ARE caches, just like Earthcaches ARE caches. If they weren't, you wouldn't get a smiley for doing them.

For some folks, they are not. It all comes down to your individual caching aesthetics, coupled with some inner bias, with a dash of Groundspeak policy tossed in for added flavoring. For instance, when I close my eyes and envision "geocache", I see an ammo can hidden in a cool spot. That's just what my poor little brain comes up with. In interpreting this vision, I've come to accept that, for me, a geocache is a (hopefully) watertight container, placed in such a manner as to avoid notice by the real world.

Groundspeak obviously doesn't share my vision. For TPTB, a geocache can be a roadside plaque. Unless the coordinates for said plaque were gathered after a certain date. Then that same plaque cannot be a geocache. (Welcome to Waymarking :lolA geocache can also be a sinkhole. A geocache can also be a bunch of nerds picking up trash along a highway. A geocache can also be a webcam with a live feed. Unless the coordinates to the webcam were gathered after a certain date. Then that same webcam cannot be a geocache. A geocache can also be 5 or 6 friends sitting around eating pizza. In times gone by, a geocache could be a street sign with a funny name, or a yellow Jeep driving down the interstate. After all, you get smileys for them, right? They must be geocaches!

But a geocache cannot be a metal disk, embedded into concrete, at a specific spot.

Unless TPTB decide, at some later date, to include Benchmarks in your total caches found count.

Suggesting that something is a geocache just because it increases someone's find count, while technically accurate according to the standards created by this website, may sound somewhat simplified to those who don't follow that same concept. B)

+1