show us your walking sticks

jermlac

Now that it's getting HOT in North Texas, I'm thinking of making a wood walking stick to carry when I go after a cache in areas likely to have snakes. Show me what you carry and share some stories of the adventures the walking stick, cane, or poking stick, has traveled through.

cid_00f401c75f736ae7ea900201a8c0D2413J61.jpgHello,

Here's a pic of my custom made stick. It's a big help going up and down hills here in W. Pa. It's made of Hickory and is very strong and stout. It also has a rubber cane bumper on the tip.

HikingStaff.jpg

Now that it's getting HOT in North Texas, I'm thinking of making a wood walking stick to carry when I go after a cache in areas likely to have snakes. Show me what you carry and share some stories of the adventures the walking stick, cane, or poking stick, has traveled through.

Edited by Barefoot One & Wench

cid_00f401c75f736ae7ea900201a8c0D2413J61.jpg

Hello,

Here's a pic of my custom made stick. It's a big help going up and down hills here in W. Pa. It's made of Hickory and is very strong and stout. It also has a rubber cane bumper on the tip.

HikingStaff.jpg

Very nice. I like all of the added touches. :)

I just find nice sticks while caching, like of madrona and the like and keep them when I need walking sticks or more than likely, pokey sticks. I have 2 at the moment. Much much cheaper than buying one of those fancy ones at REI for almost $100.

Yup. That's what most people in the PNW do, or at least Washington.

I just go out and pick a suitable stick of the ground. Then once my trip is over, i get rid of the stick and move on. This has gone on since i started caching.

Where did you guys get the little geocaching symbols attached to the sticks. I do a bit of walking stick carving and would like to make one with the coloured geocaching piece like you have to use as a FTF for when I hide my first cache.

Where did you guys get the little geocaching symbols attached to the sticks. I do a bit of walking stick carving and would like to make one with the coloured geocaching piece like you have to use as a FTF for when I hide my first cache.

They sell them through the Groundspeak store.

Yeah what he said

We bought a pair of hiking sticks for $50 and have one each. They are the telescopic type, so good for our different heights. They are great for poking, hearing the sound of cache, and for keeping us balanced.

Not as good as some, leaning too heavily could cause them to collapse - thankfully I read about that here somewhere!