Dinghy or Canoe?

We have noticed that there are several caches where some sort of boat is needed to get to them, so are thinking of buying some sort of inflatable.

Which is best though, dinghy or canoe?

We need something for only one person, but room for any other equipment that might be required.

We don't want anything that has to go on the car roof, so only inflatables.

All suggestions welcome.

We have noticed that there are several caches where some sort of boat is needed to get to them, so are thinking of buying some sort of inflatable.

Which is best though, dinghy or canoe?

We need something for only one person, but room for any other equipment that might be required.

We don't want anything that has to go on the car roof, so only inflatables.

All suggestions welcome.

I believe you need to look here! http://www.klepper.com/en/folding-kayaks.html

The SBS use them, so you know they're great. A tad pricey though.

Edited by NattyBooshka

SK100DS Inflatable 1 Person Sport Kayak - Sevylor

Recommended a little pricy though

g.

Great choice Ginger B):anibad: and they are very stable, so you can stand up to get the madder of the boat caches!

I'm lucky enough to have lots of kayakable caches near me - mostly in the Wellingborough/Oundle/Stamford area... Great fun :D

6a17be13-a8f4-451e-83be-94516b35d49a.jpg

Edited to add image

Edited by Splendidz

See here: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LUID=9ae685c1-ea09-475a-a9cc-0ba6be721271 - reached this earthcache recently in a kayak I built myself at sixth form college in winter 1983/4 - I think the materials (fibreglass & resin) cost about £30. Cache owner said I was the first person (she knew of) to log cache after a visit by kayak.

Actually, a double kayak or canoe might be better, as then one person can hold onto bank, paddles etc while other reaches cache.

Plenty of playboats will fit inside a car, if you're determined not to use roof rack.

Edited by Copepod

That would depend on what water-caching you plan to do.

A creek that's only 12" deep (or so) would be perfect for an inflatable or inner tube. But if you're venturing into deeper water, I would definately look at a kayak or non-inflatable canoe.

Have you looked for rentals?

My husband and I rented a kayak last weekend for only $25 a day. Thats not bad if you don't venture out on the water that much.

very stable, so you can stand up to get the madder of the boat caches!

That's a dimension we hadn't thought of, and those are the sort of caches we're looking at.

Thanks for the replies

Looks like a canoe is best then.

Now to find a bargain

I'm fairly certain the boat recommended and shown in the piccy's a kayak, not a canoe. :rolleyes: Try a couple, and decide which it is you want first - you'd best not walk into a kayak shop and ask for a canoe though........ :huh::laughing:

That's a dimension we hadn't thought of, and those are the sort of caches we're looking at.

Thanks for the replies

Now to find a bargain

Try your local canoe club (most canoe clubs incorporate all disciplines eg touring, white water, slalom, racing etc in all types of boats, including kayaks and Canadian canoes) for a sedond hand boat. Many members advertise boats on their club websites, or on cards in clubhouse. Fibreglass kayaks are cheapest and are much lighter weight than same sized plastic kayaks / sit-on-tops, so anyone can get a fibreglass onto their car roof, while some might struggle to get a plastic boat up. They're a bit more delicate, but tougher than most people think. My photo linked in post above shows the fibreglass kayak I built in 1983, and has covered many miles since.

Thanks for the replies

Now to find a bargain

My boat in the pic (Sevylor SK100) is an inflatable kayak rather than canoe, I do have an inflatable canoe as well, but it's pretty slow and hard work to paddle!

Here is a Bookmark list of kayakable caches B) 'Float your boat... Brickin' it' and 'This way up' are the maddest on the list!

If anyone knows of any others that aren't on the list, please let me or the list owners (The Buffs) know.

There is also The Boat Only Event in July near Oundle :D

you'd best not walk into a kayak shop and ask for a canoe though........

From the online Oxford dictionary

Canoe

noun

• a light , narrow boat with pointed ends and no keel, propelled with a paddle or paddles.

verb (canoes, canoeing, canoed)

[no object, with adverbial of direction]

• travel in or paddle a canoe:he had once canoed down the Nile

Kayak

noun

• a canoe of a type used originally by the Inuit, made of a light frame with a watertight covering having a small opening in the top to sit in.

verb (kayaks, kayaking, kayaked)

[no object] (usually as noun kayaking)

• travel in or use a kayak.

Canoe

noun

• a light , narrow boat with pointed ends and no keel, propelled with a paddle or paddles.

Kayak

noun

• a canoe of a type used originally by the Inuit, made of a light frame with a watertight covering having a small opening in the top to sit in.

Sadly the OED adapts rather than defining... or we'd all still be walking around gay and proud of it, rather than just a small percentage of us. I'd wager that 15 years ago it would have said Eskimo instead of Inuit.

A kayak IS a canoe... a canoe isn't a kayak. A Bentley Continental is a motor car... sadly my car isn't a Bentley Continental!

Edited by NattyBooshka

Canoe

noun

Kayak

noun

:laughing:

Edited by keehotee