MS Vista problems

oldgala

We tried to access our account from our Daughters compter and GC at first would not recognize our login ID and Pw. When we finally got in, it would kick us out every time we opened a new window. The Computer uses MS Vista.

Our Daughter has been trying to get on for abour a year or so and can not get past the log-in page. She used XP with no problems before the change to Vista. Her account was working from our computer. Does anyone have any idea what is going on. HELP!! Thank you Oldgala

Edited by oldgala

I use Vista on a couple computers and have never had this issue, I do however use a standards compliant browser, Firefox.

I've not heard of this being a big problem, only a few rumblers, even with IE, you might try the basics first like clearing both your cache and cookies then try to login.

I've been using Vista and Firefox as well as the occasional IE for a couple of years without any issue. What browser are you using?

Me too - various types and models of computers running different versions of Vista and IE - no issues. Got to be some settings that are invoked - not Vista or IE itself. Possible something in a firewall?

We tried to access our account from our Daughters compter and GC at first would not recognize our login ID and Pw. When we finally got in, it would kick us out every time we opened a new window. The Computer uses MS Vista.

Our Daughter has been trying to get on for abour a year or so and can not get past the log-in page. She used XP with no problems before the change to Vista. Her account was working from our computer. Does anyone have any idea what is going on. HELP!! Thank you Oldgala

I have been using Vista for a few years IE browser. No problems. Last week MS upgraded my browser to IE10 and I couldn't get near geocaching site. I just restored and everything back to normal.

It's more likely the Browser Settings. The OS doesn't have influence over website access. The browser may be set to not store the cookies from this website.

That being said, computers running Vista are capable of running Windows 7, and I would recommend updating them, and you will likely be able to keep all your files.

That being said, computers running Vista are capable of running Windows 7, and I would recommend updating them, and you will likely be able to keep all your files.

Why? In all likelihood, it'll break some existing stuff, change the behavior of others, and create confusion. And it's not a free upgrade either.

Don't subscribe to the Vista = bad that Apple was so successful in promoting, and MS went along with because it enabled them to sell Windows 7 upgrade. The internals are very similar. The main problem with Vista was that the drivers were crap when it first came out. Windows 7 uses the same drivers as Vista.

Vista and Firefox here since i first sign up three years ago and never had any issues

Vista is good for someone who doesn't want to 'admin' their PC. Very few of those types around here.

what exactly do you mean with that? :blink:

Edited by t4e

Let me tell you my experience. I have Vista and all was fine til recently when I just couldn't log in from my home computer only. Seems that somehow, this site was id'd as a "trusted site" and that was the problem. When I removed it from the trusted site category, I could log in just as before. I was using Internet Explorer 8.

Just recently, I upgraded to IE9 and now the plug-in that allows downloading caches to the GPSr isn't recognized, no matter how many times I add it. So, with IE9, I cannot put caches on. I have no problem with Firefox and am debating using FF for all my browsing. IE9 keeps locking up anyway--it sucks.

Vista and Firefox here since i first sign up three years ago and never had any issues

Vista is good for someone who doesn't want to 'admin' their PC. Very few of those types around here.

It means that if you aren't tech savvy, Vista will help you by questioning downloads, upgrades, etc. All the basic stuff to keep your PC running properly.

As a fairly tech savvy geocacher with a Vista PC I have to click 'Allow' waaaayy more often than I do on my XP system. I'm not saying Vista is wrong, I just don't need its help as often as it thinks I do.

And I'm sure most here don't need its help either. Hence why I said very few.

edit: it's/its

Edited by BlueDeuce

It means that if you aren't tech savvy, Vista will help you by questioning downloads, upgrades, etc. All the basic stuff to keep your PC running properly.

As a fairly tech savvy geocacher with a Vista PC I have to click 'Allow' waaaayy more often than I do on my XP system. I'm not saying Vista is wrong, I just don't need its help as often as it thinks I do.

oh dear i forgot about the "allow" thingie...i disabled that, as well a other annoying "helpful" features, as soon as i started using it :lol:

oh dear i forgot about the "allow" thingie...i disabled that, as well a other annoying "helpful" features, as soon as i started using it :lol:

The UAC is in Windows 7 as well, but less actions require permission with 7.