Garmin Montana 650

Mine went back to garmin after touch screen trouble. No amount of calibrating was able to fix the problems. The calibration went "fine", but once in the menus or keyboard the buttons 2cm next to the actual press was registered.

The weird thing is.... when I got it, it was fine.

If I understand you correctly the calibration goes fine, you can pinpoint the black dots in the calibration screen even if your menus are, at that point, out of calibration? So even if your unit is experiencing this calibration issue, once you enter the "Calibrate" screen it works fine again?

Also, let me ask, if you turn it to landscape mode will the faulty lower right corner of the portrait mode "follow" the orientation to the lower right corner of the landscape mode? Or does the faulty lower right corner become the faulty upper right corner (or lower left corner) in landscape mode? In other words does it follow the screen as you change orientation or is it a static spot on the physical screen?

Edited by yogazoo

In portrait mode you can 'use' it a bit by pressing very deep in the corner.

In landscape it's unusable..

In fact the calibration seems to go ok, but even leaving the calibration screen is a pain, because the wrong key is seen and all starts all over again.

Keep testing your unit by using the keyboard alpha AND numbers.

If I understand you correctly the calibration goes fine, you can pinpoint the black dots in the calibration screen even if your menus are, at that point, out of calibration? So even if your unit is experiencing this calibration issue, once you enter the "Calibrate" screen it works fine again?

Also, let me ask, if you turn it to landscape mode will the faulty lower right corner of the portrait mode "follow" the orientation to the lower right corner of the landscape mode? Or does the faulty lower right corner become the faulty upper right corner (or lower left corner) in landscape mode? In other words does it follow the screen as you change orientation or is it a static spot on the physical screen?

Jumping in... my calibration screen appears to work. I can hit all six dots with fingers or more precisely with a pen. It doens't change the end result.

My spot appears static. When I change to landscape, I can press the button in the lower right corner. I do, however, experience trouble with the lower left corner so the only way to navigate successfully is to flip between the orientations. The rest of the screen works fine (at the moment). It seems limited to about 1/2" square at the corners.

Jumping in... my calibration screen appears to work. I can hit all six dots with fingers or more precisely with a pen. It doens't change the end result.

My spot appears static. When I change to landscape, I can press the button in the lower right corner. I do, however, experience trouble with the lower left corner so the only way to navigate successfully is to flip between the orientations. The rest of the screen works fine (at the moment). It seems limited to about 1/2" square at the corners.

Send it in. It's a hardware problem, according to the other thread in this forum. Garmin will issue a replacement. (They did so for me.)

Allow me to air a gripe I've had ever since Garmin's Topo 24K product has come out. Why can't Garmin color the trails something more like a trail and less like an unpaved road. None of the trails on their flagship topo product can be distinguished from roads. This is a product geared toward the outdoor crowd and they can't give the trails a different color? Like dashed red lines? I'm suprised that someone at Garmin who likes to go hiking hasn't been annoyed buy this and has offered a suggestion to fix it.

"I have seen the light". A fix for this is coming down the pike and I couldn't be more elated. Finally I'll be able to see trails differently than my roads. Hallylewya!

Swapped my unit with faulty display calibration. Just downloaded the latest firmware. Living life on the edge :)

Changes made from version 2.80 to 3.10:

Added support for advanced geocache logging with OpenCaching.com. See TrailTech (http://garmin.blogs.com/softwareupdates/2011/08/advanced-geocache-logging-with-opencachingcom.html) for more information.

Added Restore Defaults option to setup pages

Fixed issue where proximity alarms would not be audible

Fixed issue that occurred with the altimeter page when using a 24-hour clock

Fixed issue where the map would sometimes not refresh when using the active route page

Fixed an issue where the dashboard would sometimes appear while panning on the map

Fixed issue with saving tracks in area calculation page

Fixed issue with highlighting of some shortcuts in the drawer

Fixed issue with the keyboard layout in landscape orientation when the system language was set to French

Fixed issues that sometimes occurred when exiting Where To? > Address or Where To? > Intersection

Modified the 'Arriving at Destination' message banner so that it no longer appears when navigating to a geocache

Looking for some tweaks that I can't find in the manual:

1. Can I change the symbol that is used for displaying found geocaches (the huge open treasure chest)?

2. I found that geocache waypoints lost lots of info when exported in GPX format. I used the GarminExport macro to export them as POIs. This placed them in the "extras" category. These waypoints don't show up on the screen before I zoom pretty close. Is there a way to adjust how close you need to zoom before "extras"-POIs appear on the map? Eventually, any better solutions for dealing with geocache waypoints?

Can anyone help a gumby with the geo-tagging format?

When I check picture properties the lat/lon comes up as something like S35 20 15.236987458 E149 12 23.123456789.

Any reason why this isn't displayed in the format set on the GPS? I've tried a couple of different programs to look at the pic properties and they all show this weird lat/lon. When I put this into Google maps and round the last number to 3 numbers it is nowhere near where the actual photo was taken.

Or is it a case of uploading the photo and then pinning it in Google Earth to get the closest approximate co-ords?

Looking for some tweaks that I can't find in the manual:

1. Can I change the symbol that is used for displaying found geocaches (the huge open treasure chest)?

Yes you can replace any of the hardwired icons by placing them in the Garmin\CustomSymbols directory. Custom Icon tutorial

I find that a 24x24 icon looks best. The found icon isn't included in the list in that link anymore but it still works. You have to name the file Geocache Found.bmp. If the spacing/spelling/capitalization is off, it won't work.

2. I found that geocache waypoints lost lots of info when exported in GPX format. I used the GarminExport macro to export them as POIs. This placed them in the "extras" category. These waypoints don't show up on the screen before I zoom pretty close. Is there a way to adjust how close you need to zoom before "extras"-POIs appear on the map? Eventually, any better solutions for dealing with geocache waypoints?

I export mine as GPX and have no problem with the comments being included. I use a custom cache name, %mtag="sortdata"%name by %by %children %name: %c_name.

Can anyone help a gumby with the geo-tagging format?

When I check picture properties the lat/lon comes up as something like S35 20 15.236987458 E149 12 23.123456789.

Any reason why this isn't displayed in the format set on the GPS? I've tried a couple of different programs to look at the pic properties and they all show this weird lat/lon. When I put this into Google maps and round the last number to 3 numbers it is nowhere near where the actual photo was taken.

Or is it a case of uploading the photo and then pinning it in Google Earth to get the closest approximate co-ords?

For some reason the coordinates don't show correctly when looking at the properties. I opened some of my pictures in Photoshop and Basecamp and the coordinates show correctly there. As an added bonus, Basecamp will place them on the map where they were taken.

hi everyone

glad to find this thread

I used to be a member here 10 years ago. I can't find my old account data.

I got my Montana last week

I bought Topo 24k for the south mountains mainly for the Grand Canyon trails. I am not very impressed with the topo 24k and ease of spoting trails on the map.

The reason I posted here is that using North America map I planed a route from San antonio to Phoenix Arizona and got a straight line indicating the route (see photo).

My profile and setup/routing is set on driving. I disabled other maps except the North America and the global map.

tion proceeds to 74% and stop there

It is difficult to belive but It sounds like if there is missing information in the map. My map is North America nt 2011.2

when I use the "where to" option (from San Antonio to Phoenix) the calculation stops at 74%

what Am I doing wrong

Best regards

20stw6w.jpg

---------------

edited

to correct a missing part of a sentence

Edited by TheArabianHunter

The reason I posted here is that using North America map I planed a route from San antonio to Phoenix Arizona and got a straight line indicating the route (see photo).

what Am I doing wrong

I had this problem too, at first. I used MapSource to upload the map data to my Montana. When I had the straight line problem, I eventually realized that I hadn't checked the "Include route calculation data" checkbox that is on the "Maps" tab in MapSource. Of course, upload them again took a few more hours (ugh).

Hopefully its that simple for you.

hi everyone

glad to find this thread

I bought Topo 24k for the south mountains mainly for the Grand Canyon trails. I am not very impressed with the topo 24k and ease of spoting trails on the map.

My profile and setup/routing is set on driving. I disabled other maps except the ct na and the global map.

It is difficult to belive but It sounds like if there is missing information in the map. My map is North America nt 2011.2

when I use the where to (from San Antonio to Phoenix) the calcula

what Am I doing wrong

Best regards

If you bought the TOPO U.S. 24K - Mountain South, you're problem is that they only cover Arizona and New Mexico. If you're trying with the City Navigator maps, make sure they are enabled. Just because they are on the card doesn't mean they are being used.

what Am I doing wrong

I had this problem too, at first. I used MapSource to upload the map data to my Montana. When I had the straight line problem, I eventually realized that I hadn't checked the "Include route calculation data" checkbox that is on the "Maps" tab in MapSource. Of course, upload them again took a few more hours (ugh).

Hopefully its that simple for you.

I will give it a try

Many thanks

-------------------------

edited

It is working now

many thanks

Edited by TheArabianHunter

hi everyone

glad to find this thread

My profile and setup/routing is set on driving. I disabled other maps except the ct na and the global map.

when I use the where to (from San Antonio to Phoenix) the calcula

what Am I doing wrong

Best regards

If you bought the TOPO U.S. 24K - Mountain South, you're problem is that they only cover Arizona and New Mexico. If you're trying with the City Navigator maps, make sure they are enabled. Just because they are on the card doesn't mean they are being used.

thanks for replying but I think you will agree that the TOPO should not have anything to do with someone driving on the main hyws from San Antonio to Phoenix

thanks

thanks for replying but I think you will agree that the TOPO should not have anything to do with someone driving on the main hyws from San Antonio to Phoenix

thanks

They do affect the routing if they are the only maps active and the don't have the required routing info to get from point A to point B.

thanks

They do affect the routing if they are the only maps active and the don't have the required routing info to get from point A to point B.

I agree with you, but the TOPO actualy was the only map that was inactive.

To be honest I have done many things and I am not sure what fixed it.

I will play with it more tomorrow

many thanks for the help

Most of us keep our GPX files on the microSD card so we can reboot the GPS out in the field if it chokes on a pocket query. So you take the microSD out of the GPS and put it in your phone. From your phone you can use the file explorer to move or change files. You can change the pocket queries or maps for an area you are travelling to.

Edited by Cacheoholic

I am having problems with archiving track files. If I load them into the Garmin Archive folder on my SD card the tracks appear in the track manager window and the manager does not see them as archived.

The only way I can archive them in the on-board archive is to archive each track individually.

Questions:

1. Does anybody know how Garmin orders the track file names in the display?

2. How can I get the tracks in my SD card archive to display when I hit the "Archive" button?

Thanks

DaveInWNC

How would you move a GPX file on a Montana with a phone?

One way would be to use a Nokia N8! It has USB Host, you can connect a thumb drive or even a mouse or keyboard to the N8. I am also able to connect my Oregon 550 as a mass storage device to the phone! It has internal 16GB and SD-Card slot. If you have a monitor with HDMI you can even connect that phone to the monitor to edit and see your files on a big screen.

Edited by Catch43

Changes made from version 3.10 to 3.20:

Fixed display issues during spell searches

Fixed ability to enable mapsets using shortcuts

Fixed ability to mute or unmute volume using shortcuts

Fixed issue with repeated anchor drag alarms

Fixed issue where Move Waypoint could move the wrong waypoint

Fixed issues with dashboards disappearing

Fixed issues with Find Next Closest while geocaching

Fixed issue where part of the map was unresponsive to touches

Fixed issue where nuvi mode speed field could be red while not speeding

Modified default map trails to appear as dashed red lines

Added ability to add multiple points to a route without leaving the map

Some more screenshots (thanks to GPSfiledepot for the hosting). The graininess is a result of re-processing from the host site.

I have created custom vehicles which, in my opinion, are easier to see than the standard triangle/arrow. Gone are the days of being restricted to that big blue arrow. Creating custom vehicles is super easy but if you'd like the .srf (vehicle) files for these particular ones please send me a PM and I'll get them to ya. The green leaf background in the lower images is also custom and, if you'd be inclined, I can send that along as well.

Below are images of my custom smaller, more visible arrow. The topo maps are the ones I've made for Montana that include colorized public land ownerships. The dark red polygons that look like buildings are indeed buildings and come from a USGS shapefile.

1310141355.jpg1310141376.jpg1310141412.jpg

How do you make those custom topo maps with the 3d relief in there? One of the reasons I got a Montana (besides the fact that my 60csx was stolen in the Keys) was to get that type of mapping....any tutorial or instruction on the web?

Edited by formula1

How do you make those custom topo maps with the 3d relief in there? One of the reasons I got a Montana (besides the fact that my 60csx was stolen in the Keys) was to get that type of mapping....any tutorial or instruction on the web?

I don't believe they are from his custom mapset, they are likely the result of an official product with DEM layered beneath that map.

I don't believe they are from his custom mapset, they are likely the result of an official product with DEM layered beneath that map.

What is a DEM?

When I download GPX files to my 600, I have noticed that the coords shown on the cache description page are slightly different to those on the website screen. They are about 300 feet out but the GPS takes me to the correct location so it must be using the ones in the website description, in other words the coords on the GPS screen of the cache description are not quite right. Anyone else noticed this? Maybe I am doing something wrong or have a setting not quite right. Any ideas?

When I download GPX files to my 600, I have noticed that the coords shown on the cache description page are slightly different to those on the website screen. They are about 300 feet out but the GPS takes me to the correct location so it must be using the ones in the website description, in other words the coords on the GPS screen of the cache description are not quite right. Anyone else noticed this? Maybe I am doing something wrong or have a setting not quite right. Any ideas?

The cache pages are set up for WGS84 datum. You should be, too. You're evidently currently set up for NAD27, and you are seeing the translated coordinate data on the screen. If you entered coordinates for a cache by hand, you'd wind up in the wrong place.

A new version has shown up again today... here is the changelog.

Changes made from version 3.20 to 3.30:

Fixed spanner mode prompt

Fixed issues reviewing very long routes in route planner

Fixed issue with disappearing dashboard on the main menu

Fixed issue where selected dashboard would not show up unless page was exited and reentered.

Fixed issues with missing map scale.

Fixed shutdown related to proximity alarm POIs.

Added Large Data Field Dashboard.

Added Satellite Dashboard.

Added ability to sort photos On A Specific Date in Photo Viewer.

Added View Map button to Waypoint Manager > Edit waypoint.

A new version has shown up again today... here is the changelog.

Changes made from version 3.20 to 3.30:

Fixed spanner mode prompt

Fixed issues reviewing very long routes in route planner

Fixed issue with disappearing dashboard on the main menu

Fixed issue where selected dashboard would not show up unless page was exited and reentered.

Fixed issues with missing map scale.

Fixed shutdown related to proximity alarm POIs.

Added Large Data Field Dashboard.

Added Satellite Dashboard.

Added ability to sort photos On A Specific Date in Photo Viewer.

Added View Map button to Waypoint Manager > Edit waypoint.

The Satellite dashboard ROCKS!

The satellite dashboard works fine for me - so long as its on the main menu or on the backlight page (hit the power button once briefly). When the satellite dashboard is on a map page, it just shows two circles and nothing else. If I rotate the unit, as soon as it redraws the map, it briefly shows the populated satellite dashboard and then clears it again (about 1/4 second later). I'll report it to montanabeta.

The satellite dashboard works fine for me - so long as its on the main menu or on the backlight page (hit the power button once briefly). When the satellite dashboard is on a map page, it just shows two circles and nothing else. If I rotate the unit, as soon as it redraws the map, it briefly shows the populated satellite dashboard and then clears it again (about 1/4 second later). I'll report it to montanabeta.

I see the same thing. I sent a report in as well.

73's!

Wayne

For everyone having troubles with routing and speed limits I have a possible solution. Make sure you don't have any other routable mapset underneath CityNavigator. I noticed that when I had my 24k Topos enabled, even though they are under the City Navigator map, the unit gets confused. For example it won't show speed limits when 24k is enabled under CityNav and it will tell me I'm "walking to route" or wont vocalize my directions in the cradle. I don't know what your map situation is but disabling any map underneath city navigator worked to solve some of my issues. Cheers!

The cache pages are set up for WGS84 datum. You should be, too. You're evidently currently set up for NAD27, and you are seeing the translated coordinate data on the screen. If you entered coordinates for a cache by hand, you'd wind up in the wrong place.

Thanks for the reply. Have done some experiments today and if I use Lat/Long then the problem does not occur. I should have said that I am in the UK and was using British Grid and associated map datum. There would seem to be a slight error in the conversion on the Montana. No matter now that I know of it. Thanks again.

So, since most of the folks on this thread have a Montana, would you recommend it? I am thinking of replacing my Oregon, would like 3 axis compass, topo maps (I have a 300), larger screen, better screen. I have used a GPS60, Colorado and Oregon, have had about 4 Nuvi's in our cars and RV, so obviously like Garmin. It sounds like most of the software bugs have been worked out, but the cost is pretty high, so I want to know that it is worth the upgrade. I know I wouldn't be able to sell the Oregon for much, you can get a brand new 450 for $200, so it really wouldn't off-set the cost. I have never been totally disappointed with a Garmin product, but all the threads about the Montana seem to be about problems, so to the folks who actually own a Montana and cache with it, would you recommend it?

I have never been totally disappointed with a Garmin product, but all the threads about the Montana seem to be about problems, so to the folks who actually own a Montana and cache with it, would you recommend it?

I've been an early adopter since the Colorado series and had to ride the bugs all the way through to the Oregon 300, then again with the 450, dakota, 62S etc. The Montana is the best GPS yet with the most ease of use. The screen cannot be beat on any of todays hand-held GPS units. The units firmware always gets better over the course of about a year until they can work it out. And remember, people don't usually gloat about how rockin' awesome a unit is on these boards. Generally it's a place to gripe about, discover, and overcome problems.

After owning 10 Garmins going way back, The Montana 6XX is the best yet and comes highly recommended.