Garmin Montana 650

I was out this weekend with my Oregon 550 in the sun and as per usual had a load of problems with viewing the screen.

I'd be curious as to your experiences. I have a OR 450 and I find bright sun the best for viewing maps. Is that not true for photos also? I also have a Nuvi 295, taking a photo or reading a map in bright sun is virtually impossible.

Just got off the phone with Garmin about repairing the screen on my Montana 600. ONE HUNDRED SIXTY BUCKS (plus $10 FedEx ground back to them). I could just toss it and buy a used 60csx, which is probably what I should do.

I won't be able to sit down for a long, long time.

Edited by michaelnel

I seem to have lost voice guidance under 2.60.

Of course with so many options available it may mean a morning of playing with all of them.

You must be using a voice other than American Jill. Any other voice will not work. The Dev Team know about it.

Cheers,

Not even Jill is working.

Garmin fixed the non-TTS voices in version 2.6.

3 Things to check. No offense if they are obvious to you,

1) Make sure to check the following settings under "Tones" in the setup menu. 1) Tones=On, 2) Tones Output=Auto.

2) Make sure the volume is set to something audible (not ZERO).

3) Try a pair of headphones pluged into the units audio jack. If the voices work there then there's something wrong with the auto cradle.

Good luck!

Is it possible to adjust the volume of the cradle? Where can I do that?

Created a track in Basecamp and changed the color of the track to red instead of the default color. I could not get it to load in my Montana 600. Called Garmin support and we figured out it is an issue with the track color. Changed it to the default color and it loaded up OK. The support person was going to report it to the Beta crew.

Just got off the phone with Garmin about repairing the screen on my Montana 600. ONE HUNDRED SIXTY BUCKS (plus $10 FedEx ground back to them). I could just toss it and buy a used 60csx, which is probably what I should do.

I won't be able to sit down for a long, long time.

That really sucks. I'm curious if you have gotten a hold of Zagg to see what they have to say about it. They probably wont do anything to help you get your unit repaired. But they might be able to help others avoid the same problem.

Is it possible to adjust the volume of the cradle? Where can I do that?

Tap the power button while in the cradle. This will bring up the Backlight/Volume settings.

The volume setting will also come up when something is plugged into the audio jack (headphones).

Edited by yogazoo

That really sucks. I'm curious if you have gotten a hold of Zagg to see what they have to say about it. They probably wont do anything to help you get your unit repaired. But they might be able to help others avoid the same problem.

Zagg doesn't support the Montana, and I can see why. It's too fragile.

Caching report... Took the 600 out along with an Oregon 450 yesterday. Looked for 20 caches and found 19 (the other was gone). It was very cloudy and actually rained during a few hunts. The Montana did very well. Only one time did it just turn off and the wife had it at the time and on the first cache of the day. The rest of the time I used it and it had no issues. Once or twice it seemed to drift about 10 to 20 feet, but I blame that on the weather. Worked well in heavy tree cover that was soaked with rain. Even used it with OSM routable maps to navigate to one cache when the Nuvi locked up. (OSM in automotive profile and TOPO in Geocaching profile).

Running 2.50.

Still don't know if the downloadable City Navigator maps from Garmin have lane assist (my previous post in this thread). Have emailed Garmin for an answer too.

Zagg doesn't support the Montana, and I can see why. It's too fragile.

I know your bummed about that costly mistake but it's just too early in the products life cycle for a Zagg shield. They'll release a shield for the Montana but, like every GPS before it, it will be a few months until hey get enough requests to manufacture one to the screens dimensions.

Adding to my earlier report, there is one bug I encountered that I've not seen reported elsewhere. It happened more than once but I only thought to document one cache.

Example cache: GC395D

Cache is a 2/2 difficulty.

When on the Geocaching compass screen, the difficulty shows as 1/1. All other screens show 2/2 as expected. Compared with the Oregon 450 it displayed correctly on the compass screen.

I was out this weekend with my Oregon 550 in the sun and as per usual had a load of problems with viewing the screen.

I'd be curious as to your experiences. I have a OR 450 and I find bright sun the best for viewing maps. Is that not true for photos also? I also have a Nuvi 295, taking a photo or reading a map in bright sun is virtually impossible.

The map screen was the better of the two, the screen on camera view in the sunlight I had was appaling and on some occasions unviewable; it was too dark and I had to guess at taking the picture and then walk to some shady area to see if had come out. I also had some occasions when it was overcast and raining and did find that the map wasn't as clear as I'd have liked. Having had a bit of a play I think it really depends not just on whether it's dull/sunny but also the type and angle of light; it shouldn't but as you say, sunlight does help. I do have a Zagg shield which somehow I managed to take a chip out of that makes using the touchscreen a bit tricky but I don't think that makes any difference in visibility. Looking at them on my PC the images have come out fine though.

Given the choice I doubt I would buy this again; next time it would be a separate digital camera with GPS functionality built-in or a smartphone, and a separate dedicated Geocaching device with just the core features that I need (strong signal, clear display in all light, like my ipod touch, and pocket query capability). I know now what is really important, I didn't before I started - hindsight eh? Had I been in the US I might look at DeLorme as an alternate, or a Montana 650, but in the UK we're pretty much restricted to being overcharged for Garmin devices.

The map screen was the better of the two, the screen on camera view in the sunlight I had was appaling and on some occasions unviewable; it was too dark and I had to guess at taking the picture and then walk to some shady area to see if had come out. I also had some occasions when it was overcast and raining and did find that the map wasn't as clear as I'd have liked. Having had a bit of a play I think it really depends not just on whether it's dull/sunny but also the type and angle of light; it shouldn't but as you say, sunlight does help. I do have a Zagg shield which somehow I managed to take a chip out of that makes using the touchscreen a bit tricky but I don't think that makes any difference in visibility. Looking at them on my PC the images have come out fine though.

Given the choice I doubt I would buy this again; next time it would be a separate digital camera with GPS functionality built-in or a smartphone, and a separate dedicated Geocaching device with just the core features that I need (strong signal, clear display in all light, like my ipod touch, and pocket query capability). I know now what is really important, I didn't before I started - hindsight eh? Had I been in the US I might look at DeLorme as an alternate, or a Montana 650, but in the UK we're pretty much restricted to being overcharged for Garmin devices.

Here is my experience.

I have the 650 Montana, and the map readability in sunlight is fantastic! The ability to see the camera image in sunlight is poor to very poor. The map readability in sunlight trumps the camera screen viewability... in spades.

I purchased the camera option to simply have the ability to take a picture at a certain location and have that location's latitude and longitude recorded within the image's exif data.

It's easy to talk about carrying a camera with you, in addition to the GPS, and yes, that is preferable. But reality always overrules what you plan to do. As camera affectionatos are wont to say, "The best camera you have, is the one you are carrying with you."

The main reason I purchased the Montana is because of the excellent map readability, and to have a method of marking lat/long at a particular location is another asset of my 650.

It is the best GPS I have owned... and I have had a few since I purchased a Magellan 315 in 1999.

I didn't see this mentioned here but, if you hold your finger on the top left and power up it gives you the option to clear all user data. That's as to be expected as all their touch screen models act that way.

I found that if you hold the bottom left of the screen during power up, it will interrupt the boot process and throw you to the dashboard almost instantly, which lets you navigate the dash where you could possibly delete a bad route or waypoint etc if it is keeping the unit from booting up properly. It seems you can do almost anything you want until you hit the return arrow when it takes you back to the boot up screen where it finishes its boot sequence.

If I was a betting man, I'd have lost the bet. I would have thought adding a shortcut to the Automotive profile with the Shortcuts in Setup where I chose that profile and left the other choices blank, and adding that to the Geocaching Main Menu would have let me tap it to change the profile. Instead, nothing. Tap, tap, tap - just sits on the existing Geocaching Profile. The reverse is true as I added a Geocaching profile shortcut and added that to the Main Menu of the Automotive profile. Tap, tap, tap - nothing. Is there something else I need do to make this work?

TIA!

(FW 2.60)

Edited by kayakerinme

If I was a betting man, I'd have lost the bet. I would have thought adding a shortcut to the Automotive profile with the Shortcuts in Setup where I chose that profile and left the other choices blank, and adding that to the Geocaching Main Menu would have let me tap it to change the profile. Instead, nothing. Tap, tap, tap - just sits on the existing Geocaching Profile. The reverse is true as I added a Geocaching profile shortcut and added that to the Main Menu of the Automotive profile. Tap, tap, tap - nothing. Is there something else I need do to make this work?

TIA!

(FW 2.60)

No, some of the shortcut options appear to be broken. Try placing a whereto shortcut for "search by coordinates" anywhere. Tap, tap, tap, nothing. I've noticed a few more that behave like that as well but can't remember them.

I seem to have lost voice guidance under 2.60.

Of course with so many options available it may mean a morning of playing with all of them.

You must be using a voice other than American Jill. Any other voice will not work. The Dev Team know about it.

Cheers,

Not even Jill is working.

Garmin fixed the non-TTS voices in version 2.6.

3 Things to check. No offense if they are obvious to you,

1) Make sure to check the following settings under "Tones" in the setup menu. 1) Tones=On, 2) Tones Output=Auto.

2) Make sure the volume is set to something audible (not ZERO).

3) Try a pair of headphones pluged into the units audio jack. If the voices work there then there's something wrong with the auto cradle.

Good luck!

With a head like mine I don't take offence. But a big thank you.

A friend of a friend appears to have turned it to internal speaker only.

:anicute: :anicute: :anicute:

TIA!

(FW 2.60)

No, some of the shortcut options appear to be broken. Try placing a whereto shortcut for "search by coordinates" anywhere. Tap, tap, tap, nothing. I've noticed a few more that behave like that as well but can't remember them.

Thanks for the reply! At least I know I don't just have to press harder ;-)

lil question... has anyone of you found some GC where the the description won't be displayed at all? <_<

First i thought it was a GSAK issue but it is simply the bad html rendering of the Garmin Devices.

For example send GC26QM6 to the Montana as gpx file and it will only show empty space instead of the description.

Is that an old issue? Does it make any sense to report it to Garmin? :(

TC,

morph

lil question... has anyone of you found some GC where the the description won't be displayed at all? <_<

First i thought it was a GSAK issue but it is simply the bad html rendering of the Garmin Devices.

For example send GC26QM6 to the Montana as gpx file and it will only show empty space instead of the description.

TC,

morph

REPORT IT TO GARMIN! Actually you should send the beta team an email and attach the GPX file along with the geocache ID code. If they can repeat it they will fix it. And it doesn't matter how many times an error gets reported. The more times it's reported the more they'll focus on that particular issue.

TC,

morph

REPORT IT TO GARMIN! Actually you should send the beta team an email and attach the GPX file along with the geocache ID code. If they can repeat it they will fix it. And it doesn't matter how many times an error gets reported. The more times it's reported the more they'll focus on that particular issue.

Sent with example gpx files.

Btw: This problem concernes not only the Montana... 62st and Oregon devices have the same problem.

TC,

morph

The GC26QM6 description is all hyperlinked and will not load on any GPS that I know of. It really stinks when people do their caches like that.

It actually loads the Description. It's is somehow moved out of the screen.

If you delete 2 lines of HTML code (i was messing around with the code) then you can read the text on the device.

Some of the rendering troubles might be solved by just ignoring some of the html code which the devices cant make use of.

morph

Just got mine out of the box two days ago and haven't really used it a whole lot, but have a trip to NYC next week and will be bringing it along.

Mine shipped with 2.40 and I will NOT be upgrading any time soon.

Uploaded one cache via the "send to my gps" and used it last night. Got to 4 ft. Plan on loading a PQ before the trip.

Compass calibrated just fine the first time I did it.

I have a TOPO 24k SD card (my region I live in) that I'll be putting in once I return from my trip in order to see how that works as well (might do it tonight).

Haven't noticed any bugs of any sort, but haven't really used it for extended periods of time yet.

J

Haven't noticed any bugs of any sort, but haven't really used it for extended periods of time yet.

Did notice this on the map screen. The one cache I found was a 1.5/1.5 and the map screen showed a 1/1. Not a huge problem, especially since the description got it right, but one that is there.

Just unboxed my Montana today. Needless to say I'm excited. However, I've already ran into a couple of issues.

Has anyone had trouble receiving waypoints directly from the device? With MapSource open and connected to the Montana I can retrieve tracks, but the waypoints fail to download. I've tried DNRGarmin as well and the same thing happens. Strangely, the waypoints display perfectly in BaseCamp.

Looking at the Montana's internal storage in Windows Explorer the .gpx file is available and label Waypoints_27-JUL-11.gpx. I can open the Waypoints_27-JUL-11.gpx by way of the File->Open-> menu in MapSource and the waypoints load fine. But when I try to retrieve directly from the device I receive a "no waypoints found" error message. I thought maybe this is a MapSource problem, but it happens with DNRGarmin as well.

The next issue may be intended with Garmin touchscreens. I have been using a Vista HCx for a couple of years. I typically would connect the Vista to my laptop via USB. The GPSr screen would be accessible allowing a user to navigate the Vista's menu. The Montana, however, displays a splash screen as soon as I plug in the USB. This renders the Montana useless while plugged in. Is this something I can change in the settings of the Monatana?

Thanks for any responses.

Edited by bouldershoulder

Just unboxed my Montana today. Needless to say I'm excited. However, I've already ran into a couple of issues.

Has anyone had trouble receiving waypoints directly from the device? With MapSource open and connected to the Montana I can retrieve tracks, but the waypoints fail to download. I've tried DNRGarmin as well and the same thing happens. Strangely, the waypoints display perfectly in BaseCamp.

Looking at the Montana's internal storage in Windows Explorer the .gpx file is available and label Waypoints_27-JUL-11.gpx. I can open the Waypoints_27-JUL-11.gpx by way of the File->Open-> menu in MapSource and the waypoints load fine. But when I try to retrieve directly from the device I receive a "no waypoints found" error message. I thought maybe this is a MapSource problem, but it happens with DNRGarmin as well.

The next issue may be intended with Garmin touchscreens. I have been using a Vista HCx for a couple of years. I typically would connect the Vista to my laptop via USB. The GPSr screen would be accessible allowing a user to navigate the Vista's menu. The Montana, however, displays a splash screen as soon as I plug in the USB. This renders the Montana useless while plugged in. Is this something I can change in the settings of the Monatana?

Thanks for any responses.

I would also suggest using BaseCamp. The Montana and BaseCamp have an affinity in many respects.

As for "using" the Montana when it is connected in USB Mass Storage mode the answer is NO.

Cheers,

Edited by DRTBYK

As for "using" the Montana when it is connected in USB Mass Storage mode the answer is NO.

Garmin has software called "Spanner". Install it and set the unit to "Garmin Spanner" in the setup menu. You will be able to use it just as you did the Vista.

Unfortunately, Spanner is not supported with Windows 7 or Vista.

Garmin has software called "Spanner". Install it and set the unit to "Garmin Spanner" in the setup menu. You will be able to use it just as you did the Vista.

Mine runs fine on a Windows 7 machine in compatibility mode.

Two items ...

The idea of shifting the unit to Spanner mode was to allow it to be used while plugged into a USB power source, not to use the Spanner software.

If you DO need NMEA output from your Montana (or other NMEA capable Garmin), the Garmin Spanner isn't reliable on any recent unit anyway. It drops connections all the time. Instead, GPSGate has been nice enough to provide their client for free for personal use - it is no longer just trialware - and it DOES work on Win7. That application can be downloaded here -> http://gpsgate.com/products/gpsgate_client

Edited by ecanderson

Two items ...

The idea of shifting the unit to Spanner mode was to allow it to be used while plugged into a USB power source, not to use the Spanner software.

If you DO need NMEA output from your Montana (or other NMEA capable Garmin), the Garmin Spanner isn't reliable on any recent unit anyway. It drops connections all the time. Instead, GPSGate has been nice enough to provide their client for free for personal use - it is no longer just trialware - and it DOES work on Win7. That application can be downloaded here -> http://gpsgate.com/products/gpsgate_client

Actually I was answering literally but should have read between the lines...my fault. On your Montana select the following Setup features: Setup->System->Interface->either of the following, Garmin Spanner, NMEA In/Out, etc. If you select any one of these other than Garmin Serial you will be able to plug in the USB cable and still manipulate the Montana features/functions via the screen.

Garmin Spanner and NMEA IN/OUT work just fine for me - no dropped communications.

Cheers,

Edited by DRTBYK

Garmin Spanner and NMEA IN/OUT work just fine for me - no dropped communications.

Cheers,

It used to work for me pretty well back in the 'old days' with eTrex and Map series units, but since moving to the Oregon, it seems like it cannot hold a connection to the device for more than about 30 minutes. Trouble is, there's no audio notification from Spanner or the device that comms have been lost, and it's a real PITA to have to keep looking at the PC/notebook/netbook to be sure the track is being successfully recorded all the time. Nothing more aggravating than having to double back and retrace steps when using the data to map something.

I've heard people say similar things about the Colorado and (I think) the 62 series.

I finally gave up and bought a license for GPSGate before it became a freebie. Missed the boat there, but don't regret a penny of the modest cost. But as has been noted, Spanner can be problematic on some operating systems. GPSGate is still a 'live' product and is continually updated to manage new operating system issues.

Edited by ecanderson

It used to work for me pretty well back in the 'old days' with eTrex and Map series units, but since moving to the Oregon, it seems like it cannot hold a connection to the device for more than about 30 minutes.

Darn it, now I gotta try it myself.

It used to work for me pretty well back in the 'old days' with eTrex and Map series units, but since moving to the Oregon, it seems like it cannot hold a connection to the device for more than about 30 minutes.

Darn it, now I gotta try it myself.

Has been running steadily for an hour or so. Spanner 2.1 in a VirtualBox. Need to use it for caching now though :P

Edited by dfx

Has been running steadily for an hour or so. Spanner 2.1 in a VirtualBox. Need to use it for caching now though :P

Who knows - perhaps it's more stable under a Win7 virtual XP than XP itself.

I do recall a time when connection reliability on the Colorado and Oregon were both poor with Spanner. That's when I jumped to GPSGate. Perhaps they worked it out on the handheld end because there's been zip all done with the Spanner product itself.

Okay, I have had this thing out of the box not even an hour and already have a problem - I cannot calibrate the compass. I only made it passed the initial rotation screen once, but when I had to flip the gps it says calibration failed. Anyone else had any luck with this?

Update the firmware. I had the same issue, and now it calibrates fine after updating the firmware.

Now I have to figure out why it shuts itself down when I log a cache and choose 'find next closest'

I've noticed that when you have a list of waypoints the little red arrow/compass direction on the right hand side is a little funky. Unless your unit detects you travelling at > or = to 3 miles per hour, the arrows don't show up. All previous models show red arrows when you begin moving even the slightest bit.

The auto mount with speaker is just about unusable to me. Shutdowns, lockups, white screens, boot failures are all abound when I'm using the mount. Specifically when I remove/replace it to/from the mount or during power ups while in the mount. I hope they add a customizable setting for what happens when power is removed from the mount (i.e. car shuts off). I'm tired of always hitting "Stay On". If it times out and shut's itself off, when I turn the car back on it will freeze while booting.

The Barometric pressure plot is so touchy and prone to crashes that I'm scared to even look at it or add it as a dashboard. If you're looking to experience a crash try changing your elevation plot to barometric pressure plot.

It's been a while since the last firmware update. I hope they're tackling some of these bigger issues reported by me and others to get this thing working properly. While patience is a virtue when dealing with Garmin new releases, it doesn't make the problems we're all experiencing any less frustrating.

Edited by yogazoo

I've noticed that when you have a list of waypoints the little red arrow/compass direction on the right hand side is a little funky. Unless your unit detects you travelling at > or = to 3 miles per hour, the arrows don't show up. All previous models show red arrows when you begin moving even the slightest bit.

The auto mount with speaker is just about unusable to me. Shutdowns, lockups, white screens, boot failures are all abound when I'm using the mount. Specifically when I remove/replace it to/from the mount or during power ups while in the mount. I hope they add a customizable setting for what happens when power is removed from the mount (i.e. car shuts off). I'm tired of always hitting "Stay On". If it times out and shut's itself off, when I turn the car back on it will freeze while booting.

The Barometric pressure plot is so touchy and prone to crashes that I'm scared to even look at it or add it as a dashboard. If you're looking to experience a crash try changing your elevation plot to barometric pressure plot.

It's been a while since the last firmware update. I hope they're tackling some of these bigger issues reported by me and others to get this thing working properly. While patience is a virtue when dealing with Garmin new releases, it doesn't make the problems we're all experiencing any less frustrating.

I'm not having any issues with the auto mount other than it asking to go to mass storage when placing in the mount. Does the cigarette lighter your using stay powered up when your ignition key is off? Mine stays powered all the time so I can leave my Montana in the mount and it will charge when I'm away from the vehicle. I have a feeling it may be a quick power cycling issue caused by starting your vehicle that is causing some of the issues.

I'm not having any issues with the auto mount other than it asking to go to mass storage when placing in the mount. Does the cigarette lighter your using stay powered up when your ignition key is off? Mine stays powered all the time so I can leave my Montana in the mount and it will charge when I'm away from the vehicle. I have a feeling it may be a quick power cycling issue caused by starting your vehicle that is causing some of the issues.

I think the way it works in most vehicles is that when the car is shut off, the accessory power is also shut off. You don't see any problems because your unit is powered on most of the time. Automatic power ups when the unit is in the cradle while turning the vehicle on often become frozen and the unit never reboots. When I place the unit (powered off) into a powered cradle the automatic unit power up also becomes frozen. I don't think this is a new issue but it's one I hope Garmin can work out soon.

Edited by yogazoo

Regardless of which side they're wired (switched or unswitched side for power), most of these outlets shut down during starting. For those that are switched, I haven't seen one that did stay powered during starting. So a docked unit is most often going to have to cope with the relatively quick off/on/off/on transition during starting. I'm working with another GPS with auto-on auto-off with power that doesn't always approve, either.