Garmin Montana 650

Looks like US upgrades goes well, so I guess it is a different server here in Europe.. (I'm in Norway)

PM me your email address and I'll send you the GCD file. Any of you that can't access the server can PM me for the file.

Edited by yogazoo

Looks like US upgrades goes well, so I guess it is a different server here in Europe.. (I'm in Norway)

PM me your email address and I'll send you the GCD file. Any of you that can't access the server can PM me for the file.

Many Thanks, Done :)

Montana SW version 2.60 (Webupdater)

Changes from version 2.50 to version 2.60:

Improved camera Low Light Mode (650 and 650t)

Improved route recalculations with 24K TOPO maps

Fixed intermittent voice issues when navigating

Fixed issues with orientation lock after a power cycle

Fixed intermittent issues with Address and Intersection searches

It is really nice to see they are still making progress and churning out the updates... This product really does have hope!!!

Anyone else notice a shade line that shows up near the center of any photo taken in lower light conditions? Take one in a room or inside your house and look for the line. I hope I don't have a bad sensor.

I don't have any line on my pictures taken in low light mode.

Well it does show up in "Standard Mode" in less than ideal lighting conditions. How would a user know when the cutoff is to switch to low light mode and when to keep it in Standard? I wouldn't want to get back from a hiking trip only to realize I should have switched to low light mode because some of my photos have lines through them. Hopefully the good folks at Garmin can get this resolved in a future update. Maybe greasing the skids with a few emails from other folks wouldn't hurt either.

Anyone else notice a shade line that shows up near the center of any photo taken in lower light conditions? Take one in a room or inside your house and look for the line. I hope I don't have a bad sensor.

I don't have any line on my pictures taken in low light mode.

Well it does show up in "Standard Mode" in less than ideal lighting conditions. How would a user know when the cutoff is to switch to low light mode and when to keep it in Standard? I wouldn't want to get back from a hiking trip only to realize I should have switched to low light mode because some of my photos have lines through them. Hopefully the good folks at Garmin can get this resolved in a future update. Maybe greasing the skids with a few emails from other folks wouldn't hurt either.

LowLight mode is an ISO amplification, a voltage amplification for the sensor...this could create a vertical line in high-constrast situation ( light spot for examples ) .. can you send me a photo with this problem ? i'm a naturalistic photographer ( as you've seen in my mail )and sometimes this happen in hight ISO photos ( vertical stripes ).. i think could be normal

Edited by andregixxer

I went out caching this afternoon with v2.60. I had LOTS of problems, stalling, the gps apparently not knowing where it was within a city block, "Find Next Closest" after a find stays on the one you just found. I updated the v2.60 thread with more details.

I hope it works well for you guys, but it's been a stinker for me.

Discovered a shortcut quite by accident that I had not read about.

When in automotive mode with CNav maps as the main screen, if you have Birdseye satellite .jnx files installed a touch and hold on the screen will toggle the Birdseye images on. Retouch and hold to toggle off.

Handy.

Nice find Gob-Ler!

Has anyone else noticed that the speed at which the electronic compass is turned off (when set to AUTO in the setup) is around 2mph? The problem with this is that the GPS calculated direction at such slow speeds is never worth a dam and constantly jumps around. I noticed this tonight as I was trying to hike to some caches. The bearing pointer was jumping around erratically and behaving very strangely and it was driving me mad. I stopped walking and the compass kicked in and it was smooth sailing, until of course I started walking again. I'm going to suggest to Garmin that they make the cutoff speed at least 5mph. That setting used to be customizable on the old 60CSX, which would be another way to go.

Edited by yogazoo

The reason for the two threads is because that's the way it's typically been in the past. One thread to discuss the GPS unit and one to cover only issues related to the recent firmware update. It is confusing here because the two threads are currently very active and often sit next to each other on the board. I think the firmware one will start dropping as the issues are covered. You are right though in that it can be a bit redundant and confusing.

A note about pedestrian routing. The Montana doesn't do a real good job recalculating your route while moving at slow (walking) speeds. Regardless of mode (pedestrian, bike, car, etc) the unit often doesn't recalculate your route until you're way off the originally calculated route even if there is a much shorter path. The current (2.6) firmware is much better than before with the 24K topo maps but it's still a bit sluggish in this regard. Personally, I'm not too worried about this feature because I can always prompt the unit to recalculate if I see I'm getting off the route OR I can look at the map and plan my own route just by looking at the map screen. But, I can see alot of people taking issue with this especially if you are in a completely strange city and rely on the GPS for automatic directions more than you would say hiking or in a familiar area.

Edited by yogazoo

The reason for the two threads is because that's the way it's typically been in the past. One thread to discuss the GPS unit and one to cover only issues related to the recent firmware update.

OK, as I am new to this forum I did not know how it has been in the past.

Btw, after reading about the 2.60 issues in both treads, just to be sure that the Montana works with geocaching, I have downgraded to 2.50 again. (As I am leaving for vacation in Italy B) tomorrow morning)

I still have a problem with the screen calibration (lower right corner in vertical orientation), and Garmin has asked me to return the unit, and I will do so as soon as I return from vacation.

Has anyone here used the Garmin anti-glare screen protectors for the Montana? I currently have a homemade Zagg on it and frankly, it looks like hell and feels awkward when doing finger drag stuff on the display.

I have a homemade Zagg on my screen and I can't even tell it's there and it looks great. Perhaps you fubared the new install? I know what you mean by dragging your finger accross the screen but the Zagg's are unscratchable, indestructable, and look good despite not being finger drag friendly. I've seen the Garmin protectors and they look nice but you be replacing them once a year probably depending on your use because while they do protect the screen, they are only plastic and not as durable as Zagg.

Edited by yogazoo

I have another question regarding power. My old 60Cx could be set for different action when external power was lost, ie, stay on, shutdown or prompt for desired action. This feature is missing on the Oregon and I cannot for the life of me figure out why Garmin would have dropped that feature and replace it with a prompt screen that defaults to shutdown if you don't respond in time.

How does the Montana do when external power is lost? Is it programmable like the 60Cx?

yea, was kinda hoping a Montana owner may have checked this out already as I'm sure I'm not the only one annoyed with the power loss behaviour of the Oregon. Nothing on the wiki regarding this or much else for that matter.

I have a homemade Zagg on my screen and I can't even tell it's there and it looks great. Perhaps you fubared the new install?

Perhaps I did, but I installed a Zagg on my 62S and another on my cell phone and they both came out great, but this one really does look like hell:

DSCF0186.jpg

I know what you mean by dragging your finger accross the screen but the Zagg's are unscratchable, indestructable, and look good despite not being finger drag friendly.

The finger drag unfriendly part is a biggie for me.

I've seen the Garmin protectors and they look nice but you be replacing them once a year probably depending on your use because while they do protect the screen, they are only plastic and not as durable as Zagg.

Well, they come in a 3 pack for $6.99 from GPS City, so I ordered some. If they last a year that's less than 3 bucks a year. Don't get me wrong, I like the Zaggs, but I don't like the feel of them on the Montana.

Here is the photo issue I was referring to in an earlier post. Standard mode in less then ideal light. Low light mode does NOT show this artifact. The issue is the shaded line that runs horizontally through the picture. It's more of a brightness boundary then a line. The top half of the photograph is darker (less exposed) then the bottom half.

1310659452.jpg

Edited by yogazoo
The top half of the photograph is darker (less exposed) then the bottom half.

That's because of your Zagg screen protector. ;-)

I see a "return to Garmin" in your future though. I doubt that's anything that can be fixed by firmware or resets.

Edited by michaelnel

I was hoping Garmin's beta testers (i.e. all of you) could run a test to see if the issue is repeatable. The thought of a faulty sensor has crossed my mind.

Test: take a picture in standard mode indoors and of a non-interesting background (wall, floor, ceiling)

I was hoping Garmin's beta testers (i.e. all of you) could run a test to see if the issue is repeatable. The thought of a faulty sensor has crossed my mind.

Test: take a picture in standard mode indoors and of a non-interesting background (wall, floor, ceiling)

Well i got my Montana 650 today...

Here my Pics taken mit both modes.

I got bad light here but if it would be a common Problem you would see it on these pics too.

DSC00002.jpg

DSC00003.jpg

DSC00005.jpg

DSC00004.jpg

TC,

morph

Here is the photo issue I was referring to in an earlier post. Standard mode in less then ideal light. Low light mode does NOT show this artifact. The issue is the shaded line that runs horizontally through the picture. It's more of a brightness boundary then a line. The top half of the photograph is darker (less exposed) then the bottom half.

1310659452.jpg

stupid question...the lens is clear ?

stupid question...the lens is clear ?

Yes, this line shows up in all photo's taken in standard mode indoors. Low light mode doesn't show it. So it's not on the lens. It's inside, either hardware of firmware.

Look, it's not a huge deal and if it's firmware no worries. But if it's a hardware anomaly, after paying what I did for the unit, I'd want to exchange it.

The big drawback to Zagg shields; if you exchange your unit you need to buy another one. $15 - Poof.

Edited by yogazoo

Since upgrading to 2.60 and back to 2.50 and back to 2.60, and having done a factory reset and 1/2 hour running in unobstructed view of the sky each time, I find the accuracy of my Montana 600 to be pretty bad.

I went to one of my geocaches that I placed using my 62S. At that time I did a 3 minute average of the waypoint and recorded it. Each time I have gone back there it zeros out within 10 feet of where the GZ actually is. In the attached photo, the real location is where the geocache icon is, near the corner.

I went back there this afternoon with the Montana running 2.60. I had my back against the thing holding the cache, so I was as close to it as I could get. I waypoint averaged it for 5 minutes. It was indicating 35 feet accuracy. The resulting waypoint is shown in the picture as "001" with the blue flag. Across the street and down the block.

Also, as I approached the cache I was in direct routing mode since any other kind of routing is nonfunctional, and as I got to GZ it was indicating I had passed GZ 165 feet back. I kept walking past it, another 1/2 block. I watched the distance to go, and it cycled through "165-166-167-166-165" round and round, even after I was 1/2 block farther than when it FIRST indicated incorrectly that I was 165 feet away and I was ZERO feet away.

Here's the picture. It's GC2WRCH. The picture below shows the true location of GZ.

6thhoward.jpg

Discovered a shortcut quite by accident that I had not read about.

When in automotive mode with CNav maps as the main screen, if you have Birdseye satellite .jnx files installed a touch and hold on the screen will toggle the Birdseye images on. Retouch and hold to toggle off.

Handy.

Doesn't work for me. The screen does change from automotive mode view to track up view (2D) and the terrain shading shows up but I don't think holding the screen enables/disables BirdsEye per se. I think that if you have BirdsEye maps enabled all holding the screen does is switch to 2D mode permitting whatever you have enabled (i.e. Imagery or terrain shading) to show up.

Have any of you noticed that on Page 15 of the Montana manual it talks about "Adventures", which is a feature that didn't seem to make it into production?

Ha ha! Well, I must say that the Montana manual has got to be the WEAKEST Garmin manual I have ever seen. I've had a '45, III+, 62CS, and now the Montana. This manual is worthless.

With regard to the lithium battery pack... is it best to let it get deeply discharged prior to recharging? With NiMH cells, you will gain capacity compared to new ones by several discharge / charge cycles, but I am not sure if this holds true of lithium packs like the Montana's.

Was taking out the montana for some GCs today.

Anyone using the geocaching dashboard on the Map?

...navigating to a GC works for me without a problem but when i want to navigate to a waypoint instead (blue flag) it draws the pink line to this waypoint but the dashoard shows the distance to the next nearest Geocache of my position instead.

My settings:

On the Map select "Setup Map" -> "Dashboard" -> "Custom" -> "when Navigating" = Geocache

and "when not Navigating" = NONE

can any of the other "Beta-testers :P " confirm this?

TC,

morph

Was taking out the montana for some GCs today.

Anyone using the geocaching dashboard on the Map?

...navigating to a GC works for me without a problem but when i want to navigate to a waypoint instead (blue flag) it draws the pink line to this waypoint but the dashoard shows the distance to the next nearest Geocache of my position instead.

My settings:

On the Map select "Setup Map" -> "Dashboard" -> "Custom" -> "when Navigating" = Geocache

and "when not Navigating" = NONE

can any of the other "Beta-testers :P " confirm this?

TC,

morph

That's the way it is suppose to work - use the compass page when navigating to a waypoint.

I seem to have lost voice guidance under 2.60.

Of course with so many options available it may mean a morning of playing with all of them.

You must be using a voice other than American Jill. Any other voice will not work. The Dev Team know about it.

Cheers,

With regard to the lithium battery pack... is it best to let it get deeply discharged prior to recharging? With NiMH cells, you will gain capacity compared to new ones by several discharge / charge cycles, but I am not sure if this holds true of lithium packs like the Montana's.

Follow the instruction in the Manual. Charge the battery to 100% and then allow to discharge. Your good to go. Cycling the batter to "shape it" like a NiMH is not applicable with Lithium's.

Cheers,

Have any of you noticed that on Page 15 of the Montana manual it talks about "Adventures", which is a feature that didn't seem to make it into production?

Got a email from the Dev Team yesterday on that one, they know they missed it and are working to get it back in soon. I really wanted this feature. Between BaseCamp and the Montana, GPS data management just took a GIANT LEEP forward - once the "Adventures" function is working.

Cheers,

I seem to have lost voice guidance under 2.60.

Of course with so many options available it may mean a morning of playing with all of them.

You must be using a voice other than American Jill. Any other voice will not work. The Dev Team know about it.

Cheers,

The voices should be working with firmware 2.60. I know dr. Nightmare voice works on mine now.

No, your hunch is right. Li-ions do not gain anything by fully discharging them. In fact the more you can keep them full the longer they last.

"Similar to a mechanical device that wears out faster with heavy use, so also does the depth of discharge (DoD) determine the cycle count. The smaller the depth of discharge, the longer the battery will last. If at all possible, avoid frequent full discharges and charge more often between uses. If full discharges cannot be avoided, try utilizing a larger battery. Partial discharge on Li-ion is fine; there is no memory and the battery does not need periodic full discharge cycles other than to calibrate the fuel gauge on a smart battery."

LINK:http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

Edited by yogazoo