Garmin Montana 650

[…]

What I am looking for is a thin arrow with the present point at the tip (not at the center of a thick arrow as their default)

I will go to the link and experiment with it.

Have a look there:

http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=78125&whichpage=6

Frohes Jagen

Hans

The vehicle(arrow) in the gps-passion link is exactly what I wanted to have for a while.

I am glad that there are others who think that the position represented at the tip makes more sense than the position hidden under the arrow.

thanks

By others, do they by chance have an "airplane" as a choice.

No air plane as a pre-loaded vehicle in my montana.

I never tried it, but it should be straight forward to make your own vehicle

Check out the "Garmin Garage": http://www8.garmin.com/vehicles/

where they have both vehicles and instructions on how to install them onto your unit. I have seen airplanes there.

Garmin Garage does not work for the Montana unfortunately.

Garmin Garage does not work for the Montana unfortunately.

All Gamin Garage vehicles work just fine on the Montana. You simply download the vehicles and load the .srf file into the vehicles folder on your Montana. They even have Luke Skywalkers X-Wing fighter and Darth Vaders TIE Fighter (SWEET)!

With the ability to add Garmin .srf files (Custom Vehicles) and with the ability to make your own quite easily. How long will it be until there are some really good navigational vehicles for the outdoorsman/hiker such as open site crosshairs or smaller arrows with open centers instead of the bulky old blue arrow?

For someone without a Nuvi, this opens a whole new world.

Check this site out!: Custom Vehicle Factory

Will downloading these little icons work for the Garmin Montana 600 series? If so, I am so excited. Where do the files *.srf get loaded into the Garmin and how would it be done. I'm in Japan and have ordered mine but have a long wait before it gets here! I'm studying up on all this now. Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

where they have both vehicles and instructions on how to install them onto your unit. I have seen airplanes there.

I want to make absolutely sure...are the Garmin Garage vehicle download icons compatible with the Garmin Montana 650t? According to the site, it has a list of compatible units but only lists the Nuvi models, it does not list any handheld devices such as the Montana? Can someone attest to the fact that downloading these to the unit will not "destroy" the unit? I'm quite nervous about downloading incompatible files into such an expensive unit. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

I want to make absolutely sure...are the Garmin Garage vehicle download icons compatible with the Garmin Montana 650t? According to the site, it has a list of compatible units but only lists the Nuvi models, it does not list any handheld devices such as the Montana? Can someone attest to the fact that downloading these to the unit will not "destroy" the unit? I'm quite nervous about downloading incompatible files into such an expensive unit. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

You will NOT destroy the unit. Simply download the vehicle you want. It will be in a ".srf" file. Connect your Montana to your computer using the usb cable and use your finder (mac) or file explorer (win) to open the Montana as you would a regular USB drive. Open Garmin > Vehicles. Place the .srf file in that folder. Disconnect and turn your Montana on and for each profile, choose what vehicle you want under Map > Setup > Advanced Setup > Vehicle.

Edited by SAMM Clan

The file in the link provided by HHL above was intended for nuvi. I transfered it to my montana. and it is working fine.

It is cheaper for Garmin to keep as much backward compatibility as possible.

Garmin does a really bad job of keeping their compatibility lists up to date. It causes a great deal of confusion in many of their product areas.

I've just got my Montana 650, immediately updated the firmware to the latest version (3.60). I uploaded a map of Russia to the internal memory card and turned it on. The map etc. works fine, but when I was in the setup menu just checking out the options, the device has powered off unexpectedly. This has happened around 3 times already, each time I was in a different part of the setup menu (I'm not sure this was the reason for the powering off). I was using it with the original Li-Ion battery, fully charged, while being in a parked vehicle (i.e. no vibrations etc.). Anyone encountered something like this?

I've just got my Montana 650, immediately updated the firmware to the latest version (3.60). I uploaded a map of Russia to the internal memory card and turned it on. The map etc. works fine, but when I was in the setup menu just checking out the options, the device has powered off unexpectedly. This has happened around 3 times already, each time I was in a different part of the setup menu (I'm not sure this was the reason for the powering off). I was using it with the original Li-Ion battery, fully charged, while being in a parked vehicle (i.e. no vibrations etc.). Anyone encountered something like this?

When I spend extended time on set ups, I get quite few power trips. But never on normal use or when using set up briefly.

I'll echo what thearabianhunter has said and add some. My Montana does crash more frequently while adjusting settings however it does crash during normal operation too if I seemingly overtax the processor. Like for example if I'm cycling through screens or menu's too fast or doing alot of scrolling with birdseye enabled. I still get unit freezes sometimes (at random) when powering up in the cradle etc.

At this point I'm not sure how much of these kinds of crashes can be isolated and identified since they appear to be mostly random (non repeatable). I'll speculate that the only way to make the unit more stable in these regards may be to comb through the entire code and fix/tweak as you go.

I'm not a computer code guy but in water resources we refer to two types of contaminates; point-source (identifiable origin) and non-point-source (unidentifiable origin) pollution. It's easy to correct the point-source but the non-point-source is cumulative and more general requiring a watershed approach towards mitigation. The bad thing; sometimes you're forced to live with a bit of pollution if you just can't identify where it's coming from. I sincerely hope Garmin can comb through the watershed of code to stop the issues.

Edited by yogazoo

At this point I'm not sure how much of these kinds of crashes can be isolated and identified since they appear to be mostly random (non repeatable).

Same problem here. Crashes (under normal operation) and I can't repeat them, so there is really no way Garmin can figure out what went wrong. Might be there is a memory-leak somewhere, slowly taking bytes out of RAM, untill nothing is left anymore, and the device just crashes.

I know not to expect too much from the Montana 650's camera BUT has anyone else noticed hue/color issues? I noticed this before, but last week I took a photo of a snowy scene (mostly white) and these odd color hues really became apparent.

I'm thinking I either have a defective camera/sensor or Garmins code could use some improvement in the photo processing area. I'm not asking for prize winning renditions, just acceptable performance. FYI as of today I have the latest firmware version 3.6.

Notice the blue hue at top and bottom with a slight reddish hue in the middle. In Garmins defense my wifes smallish cell phone camera exhibits similar, but less noticeable blue/amber banding.

1320724746.jpg

A few pictures of the same scene The top two are from my Montana 650 and the bottom picture is from my 4 year old cell phone.

Green tint. The window trim is actually white.

1320726187.jpg

Amber tint, taken immediately after the "green" one

1320726366.jpg

Cell phone picture which is the most accurate in both white balance and hue

1320726459.jpg

Edited by yogazoo

I know not to expect too much from the Montana 650's camera BUT has anyone else noticed hue/color issues? I noticed this before, but last week I took a photo of a snowy scene (mostly white) and these odd color hues really became apparent.

That are some really weird white balance issues. The camera has a really hard time as well with pictures of trees where it is covered. I always get a weird purple tint, which I can't correct with Photoshop.

That are some really weird white balance issues. The camera has a really hard time as well with pictures of trees where it is covered. I always get a weird purple tint, which I can't correct with Photoshop.

What you are describing sounds like chromatic aberrations or purple fringing. I get this as well when shooting in the forest on sunny days.

Edited by Lotek420

I have been trying to get a Montana 650 here in the UK for about a month now. One of the main Garmin dealers informed me that Garmin had stopped shipping to them until new stock was available and this new stock cured a problem. I am presuming it's the screen calibration issue. He said that any stock available from dealers would probably be the old stock. I received a call on Friday from him saying new stock has arrived. I pick mine up tomorrow.

A few quick questions. I will be getting the 650 with the Discoverer GB 1:50K. Will I need City Navigator for use in the car. I get the feeling that although the Discoverer will do turn by turn nav, the CityNav map has a more features. I have CityNav Europe NT v9 still which I bought for my 60CSX a few years ago but not sure if it will work in the Montana or if it's recent enough. I may still keep using my TomTom

I thought about the 650T but as far as I can understand there would be no advantage having the base map of the T version with having the Discoverer and besides other third party better base maps are available. Or have I misunderstood.

At this point I'm not sure how much of these kinds of crashes can be isolated and identified since they appear to be mostly random (non repeatable). I'll speculate that the only way to make the unit more stable in these regards may be to comb through the entire code and fix/tweak as you go.

I'm not a computer code guy but in water resources we refer to two types of contaminates; point-source (identifiable origin) and non-point-source (unidentifiable origin) pollution. It's easy to correct the point-source but the non-point-source is cumulative and more general requiring a watershed approach towards mitigation. The bad thing; sometimes you're forced to live with a bit of pollution if you just can't identify where it's coming from. I sincerely hope Garmin can comb through the watershed of code to stop the issues.

Software has an advantage here: The developers can include code to trap such exceptions and write some debug code to a file (or a dedicated piece of NVRAM) just before the software dies. Think "crash dump", "blue screen of death" or "kernel panic" if that's your thing. Most likely the Garmin software already does that, in the Oregons those error traps are stored in the system.xml file.

Edited by dfx

Just received my 650. I ordered Anti-glare screen protector together with the unit, but just as I was about to install the screen protector, I noticed there was already a layer of film on the screen. It was applied very well, if I didn't check it carefully, I wouldn't see it. I'm confused. Do I still need to apply screen protector? What is this layer of film for? Do you guys also have this film on screen?

Thanks all,

Henry

Just received my 650. I ordered Anti-glare screen protector together with the unit, but just as I was about to install the screen protector, I noticed there was already a layer of film on the screen. It was applied very well, if I didn't check it carefully, I wouldn't see it. I'm confused. Do I still need to apply screen protector? What is this layer of film for? Do you guys also have this film on screen?

Thanks all,

Henry

I got my 650 on Monday and that was supplied with a screen protector as one of the gifts with the package. I haven't installed it yet and don't know if I will. I have read posts about people who have tried to remove them at a later date and caused damage to the screen. I have had iPhones and have an iPad and the display surfaces are still like new. So I am wondering if I would put the screen to a bigger risk by installing the screen protector in case I have to remove it later. Incidentally the one that has been supplied is called a Vikutili and seems to be made by 3M in Germany. I am sure that my 650 hasn't had one fitted already. Are you sure what you are seeing is not part of the actual display. I think most screen protectors are more of a matt finish whereas the bare 650 screen is quite glossy.

Thanks all,

Henry

I got my 650 on Monday and that was supplied with a screen protector as one of the gifts with the package. I haven't installed it yet and don't know if I will. I have read posts about people who have tried to remove them at a later date and caused damage to the screen. I have had iPhones and have an iPad and the display surfaces are still like new. So I am wondering if I would put the screen to a bigger risk by installing the screen protector in case I have to remove it later. Incidentally the one that has been supplied is called a Vikutili and seems to be made by 3M in Germany. I am sure that my 650 hasn't had one fitted already. Are you sure what you are seeing is not part of the actual display. I think most screen protectors are more of a matt finish whereas the bare 650 screen is quite glossy.

It IS actually a matt finish. I didn't realize there was already a layer of film until I checked the edge of the screen. I could see the film edge and the glossy screen itself under it (just less than 1mm wide shown). Anyway, I still applied the anti-glare screen protector above it. I hike/paddle/portage a lot. The zagg invisibleshield protected my 60CX and Oregon 550 very well. I'd have damaged both screens if there had been no screen protector.

Need some advice if y'all don't mind. I like Garmin GPS's with my most recent being a GPSMAP60cs, but find that manually entering coordinates is a pain and the screen is too small to do everything I want. I had been looking at the Oregon series before I found out about the Montana's, but never "bit" and after reading through much of this thread, I am glad I waited. I mainly will be using my GPS for about a 60/40 mix of Geocaching and Navigation (respectively). What attracted me to the Montana series is the large bright screen and touch screen input - both of which are handy in the middle of the Nevada desert. My personal experience is that buying the "high end" model of any Garmin series is usually the best idea because all of the "lower" models seem to get discontinued right after I buy them (my multiple etrex series and last GPSMAP60 series) so I am strongly considering the Montana 650t - thinking that it will be supported longest, and the topo maps + camera will come in handy when I have it in my Jeep rock crawler out on the trails.

I've put together a wishlist/package of sorts that I am hoping you guys can help me modify/edit/promote based on your Montana Guru-ness. What do you think?

Garmin Montana 650t - https://www.gps4us.com/GARMIN-Montana-650t--P2172.html

Garmin North America Street Maps w/ Lifetime Updates - https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=33379&ra=true

Garmin Montana 600 650 650t Anti-Glare Screen Protectors - http://www.gpscity.com/garmin-montana-6xx-anti-glare-screen-protectors.html

GizzMoVest Heavy Duty Garmin Montana RAM-Mount Integrated Case - http://www.gizzmovest.com/

RAM POD I Universal No-Drill™ Vehicle Mount with 18" Rigid Aluminum Rod & Single Socket Arm - http://www.ram-mount.com/CatalogResults/PartDetails/tabid/63/partid/082065077045066045051049054045049085/Default.aspx

Still trying to figure out a way to take advantage of the integrated RAM mount to clip it to backpack, belt, etc. for a carrying solution

Anyway, any advice and feedback would be GREATLY appreciated.

Unless you REALLY want the camera and the pretty lame Topo maps that come with it, I'd choose a different model, the 600 which has neither.

I have a 24K card for me region so others would have to chime in on the Street Maps feature (although if I travel more this might be an option!).

I have the Gizzmo vest, but not the integrated one. I love it since it keeps it safe and provides a lanyard. STILL playing around with it trying to figure out the best way to carry/attach to me and/or my backpack.

Protectors are probably personal preference. They're needed, but this screen is EASY to read in all light.

I currently only have the bike mount, but am interested in the car mount. However, it's not needed right now so it's on the back burner.

Having one gps screen scratch minutes after turning it on for the first time, I now apply a a screen protector before i do anything else.

I believe the reason you won't find a ZAGG screen protector is because they pulled them after a few screens cracked when the screen protector was removed. Too strong I guess.

I believe the reason you won't find a ZAGG screen protector is because they pulled them after a few screens cracked when the screen protector was removed. Too strong I guess.

They don't crack if you take your time and not just try to rip it off.

Make sure to have water or a damp sponge to help remove/reposition the protector.

I am using the Garmin brand Montana screen protector and they work great. Really help with screen glare. They come 3 to a pack and can be easly be removed if you use something soft so as not to damage the screen. A soft nylon pick that comes on the end of toothbrushes works well and maybe even a plastic toothpick but never anything metal. I did end up using all three protectors because it seemed like no matter how hard I cleaned the screen and used can compressed air to clean the screen before install I always ended up with a speck of something under the protector. Finally on the last one I got the best result with only one speck of dust/whatever under the protector. These are really cheap price wise so no biggie if you need to get another pack for some reason. Glad I got the Garmin screen protector instead of the ZAGG screen protector as I have the ZAGG on my Ipod and it was a bugger to get it started off and it came off pretty hard. IMHO.

Edited by Team Sidewinder

I'm thinking I either have a defective camera/sensor or Garmins code could use some improvement in the photo processing area. I'm not asking for prize winning renditions, just acceptable performance. FYI as of today I have the latest firmware version 3.6.

Notice the blue hue at top and bottom with a slight reddish hue in the middle. In Garmins defense my wifes smallish cell phone camera exhibits similar, but less noticeable blue/amber banding.

1320724746.jpg

A few pictures of the same scene The top two are from my Montana 650 and the bottom picture is from my 4 year old cell phone.

Green tint. The window trim is actually white.

1320726187.jpg

Amber tint, taken immediately after the "green" one

1320726366.jpg

Cell phone picture which is the most accurate in both white balance and hue

1320726459.jpg

You are sure right on the poor color in those pics with each one being different color under the same lighting conditions. I just got a Montana 600 without the camera and now glad I did with that poor picture quality.

On a side note that picture of the sign looks REAL famaliar and have hiked by it more times than I can count.

Edited by Team Sidewinder

I've put together a wishlist/package of sorts that I am hoping you guys can help me modify/edit/promote based on your Montana Guru-ness. What do you think?

Garmin Montana 650t - https://www.gps4us.com/GARMIN-Montana-650t--P2172.html

Garmin North America Street Maps w/ Lifetime Updates - https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=33379&ra=true

Garmin Montana 600 650 650t Anti-Glare Screen Protectors - http://www.gpscity.com/garmin-montana-6xx-anti-glare-screen-protectors.html

GizzMoVest Heavy Duty Garmin Montana RAM-Mount Integrated Case - http://www.gizzmovest.com/

RAM POD I Universal No-Drill Vehicle Mount with 18" Rigid Aluminum Rod & Single Socket Arm - http://www.ram-mount.com/CatalogResults/PartDetails/tabid/63/partid/082065077045066045051049054045049085/Default.aspx

Still trying to figure out a way to take advantage of the integrated RAM mount to clip it to backpack, belt, etc. for a carrying solution

Anyway, any advice and feedback would be GREATLY appreciated.

I have the 650t and have been very happy with it. The topos aren't the best but nice to have if you don't have anything else loaded. I am really happy with the fact that it has the camera integrated. Nice to always have a camera, and I have had really good luck with the picture quality. Lot better than some of my first digital cameras. I've used the Garmin screen protectors since I've gotten the unit and they work fine. Always easy to see and like someone else stated, you get three to a pack. I've used a couple now. Once they get scratched up enough, I switch to a new one. Better the protector then the actual screen. I haven't used the case. I took some webbing and threaded it through the slot at the bottom of the gpsr and put two loops in it. One to hang around the neck and another to clip a carabiner to. Works pretty awesome so far. The rest can't help you with, but thought a few more opinions might help. Good Luck.

Edited by Nabrag

Well I guess I am a sucker! I went ahead and ordered a 600 that will be here Friday.

Your going to fall in love. :wub:

Just located this site and hope I can add some helpful info from time to time - probably upgrading to the premium eventually as it really does have more to offer. I'm the CEO of STYLUS-R-US - having invented a stylus for the iPad and 95% of all other touch screen devices. The only reason I bring that up - is because I have a stylus I’ll talk of in a minute that by far is better for the 650 than the finger. Yes I too am the VERY proud owner of the Garmin 650T and omg what a GPS. I've had so many GPS in the past - not to mention the iPad and Motorola Xoom for large screen GPS vehicle use - (each with a dozen GPD apps that are out of this world) but I must say - the 650T is the best of the best. It is so easy to operate once you master it - and has countless great features. One of the features we can do with it however - that is enhanced by having an iPad - is the feature of locating a LAT/LONG with an iPad app called - "DISTANTMAP".

With it - you can drop a pin anywhere in the world - and it will give you that exact LAT/LONG in which you can then enter into the 650 - and naturally it will take you right to that location.

Granted the 650 has a similar feature - but where the screen is much smaller than the iPad - trying to drag across the US to locate another exact spot on the 650 - is too difficult and time consuming - whereas - on the iPad and with this app - it can be done in seconds. Trust me when I tell you - that app and the 650 - go together like a nut and bolt. They’re an awesome pair and I've tried many other apps of that type prior to determining that one is the best. This system is so much faster for many navigating usages - because if you don't know an address or cross road - you just open the app - drop the pin - acquire the LAT/LONG and enter it into the 650 and you're off and running. Anyone using the LAT/LONG entry feature on the 650 – you have got to try this system. You can get the app on an iPhone as well - but of course you are back to a small screen again but nonetheless – it is still easier and faster than on the Garmin.

Those of you with an iPad or iPhone – know how lightly we have to touch anything on the screen to make it activate. Just as you know – the 650 requires a good deal of pressure which then creates a screen full of finger prints. Not a fan of filthy screens – I’m using my GAMER stylus on my 650 – which will take a good deal of pressure and jabbing without injury. This makes the 650 that much more fun and leaves the screen spotless - but beadvised – it still requires pressure. Any of our other styli are NOT recommended for this use - as they will NOT stand any pressure. I’m in hopes the web host will not think this as spamming or advertising as this seriously makes the 650 (and all other GPD) ten times more fun and productive – not to mention – easier entry of small characters with large fingers or long nails and enjoy passing on fun things to others.

I use my 650T on my new road bike with other electronics that make 30 mile night road trips - nothing but a blast. And I have the light in the 650 to remain on knowing it will last a good 5 to 6 hours even at bright setting – though I have extra AA batteries I can whip right in if the need is there. And the fact the 650 has that ability to insert AA’s? OMG what a device!! I’m telling you: If you’re at all thinking of getting a GREAT GPS– take it from someone who has had more of them than you have hair on your left…no…right arm – the 650 is the ultimate hand held/vehicle/bike GPS.

5101261_orig.jpg

Anyone interested in the best road bike – self contained flashlight for night riding – let me know and I’ll fill you in on that also. It has 1600 lumen which lights up everything and zooms wide to narrow.

The Montana's nuvi graphics look exactly like the 3790t's graphics.

Having owned a 3790T for well over a year and just recently getting a Montana 600... NO, they do NOT look "exactly alike". Not even close. You are NOT getting high detail DEM shading in "3D" auto mode on the Montana. :rolleyes:

Edited by sviking

I have a question.

I am having some issues with my Montana 650t and was wondering if anyone else had these problems

1. When I load PQ's into the devise it shows them when I look in the folder, however when I go to search for a cache that is not in my home area they are not there. But they are showing in the folder.

2. when I attach my unit to the car cradle it does not charge all of the time

3. if the battery goes low (and the pq actully has loaded) it quits showing the caches (this is a problem when I am traveling)

UGH!

Not sure what the problem would be in that case. After I load one up (and before I leave the house) I pick one to remember the name of and search for that cache to make sure it's been loaded. I also look on the map in the area of the caches to make sure they show up there as well.

Do you clear out the loaded files after each run or do you continue loading on top of each other? Not that that will clear up the problem though. Did you load them onto a SD card or onto internal storage?