Garmin Montana 650

With regard to the lithium battery pack... is it best to let it get deeply discharged prior to recharging? With NiMH cells, you will gain capacity compared to new ones by several discharge / charge cycles, but I am not sure if this holds true of lithium packs like the Montana's.

No. There's no memory issue with lithium, and very little with NiMH. NiCd was the culprit - back when. One thing that lithiums do not like is being stored at 100% charge. They'll last longer if discharged to about 50% before sitting them on the shelf.

Got a 600 yesterday. Upgraded to 2.5. Just went to check on a chirp cache of mine. Had chirp searching turned on an made my way all the way to the beacon and never got a notification. After waiting a minute, I pulled up the Geocaching icon under the Geocaching profile and saw a Show chirp Details button. I press it and it turns green and just stays that way. I can X out of the screen and try that as many times as I want and it does nothing. Finally I went back into settings, turned chirp off and then back on and it popped up that it found and downloaded the chirp information.

Even if you're not in the presence of a chirp, as long as search for a chirp is enabled, you still see the extra button on the Geocaching page, but it will only turn green (just like above).

Well, I've had my 650 for two weeks and have been putting it through it's paces. So far it has proved to be a learning experience, after having used an etrex,Dakota,and Oregon. I don't know if anyone has tested the "Water Proof" feature of their new Montana, but I thought some might find it reassuring to know that I have tested it and found it to be VERY effective!! I dropped it out of my canoe this week while shooting some rapids. I wasn't able to get stopped and back to the spot where I lost it for about 15 minutes. The river was very clear and I was able to find the GPS sitting in about two feet of water on top of some rocks. When I fished it out it was still working fine, and had even taken a picture of the sky above the water when it landed.

Was taking out the montana for some GCs today.

Anyone using the geocaching dashboard on the Map?

...navigating to a GC works for me without a problem but when i want to navigate to a waypoint instead (blue flag) it draws the pink line to this waypoint but the dashoard shows the distance to the next nearest Geocache of my position instead.

My settings:

On the Map select "Setup Map" -> "Dashboard" -> "Custom" -> "when Navigating" = Geocache

and "when not Navigating" = NONE

can any of the other "Beta-testers :P " confirm this?

TC,

morph

That's the way it is suppose to work - use the compass page when navigating to a waypoint.

Oh, OK thx.

I'm using the "small datafields" now as you can setup a pointer in one of the fields.

TC,

morph

I noticed the battery compartment door on mine is somewhat of a loose fit... it moves a noticeable amount when you grab it and try to move it sideways. It moves at the end opposite the latch. When yours took a bath, did any water get in the battery compartment?

I didn't open the battery compartment at the time that it dunked. I let it sit in the sun for 15 minutes until it had dried off and everything was good. No sign of water in the battery compartment at that time. I was pretty impressed.

I didn't open the battery compartment at the time that it dunked. I let it sit in the sun for 15 minutes until it had dried off and everything was good. No sign of water in the battery compartment at that time. I was pretty impressed.

I just tested mine in the sink at home. Water does get behind the outer part of the battery compartment door, but there is an inner seal with a gasket around the actual battery compartment, and no water got in there.

It seems to be a physically quite rugged case, nice job Garmin!

WARNING:

I just decided to remove the crappy looking Zagg screen protector from my Montana, and the underlying plastic screen CRACKED, all the way across as I was pulling the Zagg off. Now I have to send the POS back to Garmin for repair.

If you put a Zagg on, LEAVE IT ON.

This has been just another chapter in my totally sucky Garmin Montana experience. I wish I'd never heard of 'em.

Edited by michaelnel

Sorry to hear that Michaelnel, hope it turns out ok.

My Montana screen does not calibrate the right way, from one day to the other it has a scrren error and I don't seem to calibrate right.

I calibrated with my finger and a toothpick.

I didn't upgrade to newer software, I also took my (non Zagg) screen protector off, a stiff one, no problems here.

Do you have a picture of the cracked screen?

Here it is. The crack goes all the way from one side to the other, even though the picture doesn't show that clearly. The touch screen is completely inoperative now.

This did not happen from any kind of impact, instead it was from a pulling up motion as the screen protector (HAH!) was being removed. I removed it per the Zagg instructions (at a 90 degree angle) but they didn't imagine the underlying structure would be as weak is the Montana's is.

At least I won't have to watch the thing not work right during the time it's at Garmin. It will be somewhat of a relief.

DSCF0187-XL.jpg

Believe me, nobody found it harder than me to believe when it did it. No glue was used, but the Zagg sticks pretty securely.

Is their 90 degree removal instruction in the event of removal and replacing/reusing of the same sheet if bubbles aren't out, etc.? If I planned to scrap the sheet, I'd be inclined to pull back much closer to 180 degrees to avoid stress. Probably stretches the sheet, but if it's going to be binned anyway...

Guess I'll take a closer look at the instructions that came with my Zagg packages. Thanks for the warning in any case.

Believe me, nobody found it harder than me to believe when it did it. No glue was used, but the Zagg sticks pretty securely.

Ouch! Oh man, I know how much you like this thing so the downtime is gonna stink. Maybe they'll have a few more bugs ironed out when you get it back. I've never been very good about putting protective stuff over screens. I never get it just right. I wasn't going to do it to the Montana anyway, but this secures that decision. I hope someone makes a half-way decent case. I like to hang my GPS across the chest strap on my backpack when I'm hiking. I don't like the fully enclosed Garmin case so I'm hoping someone comes up with something useful.

Well, I have the geocaching app on my Android phone and it works really really well. Not under heavy tree cover, but at the current state of Montana development it's a way better GPS than the Montana.

When they get the bugs out of the Montana, sure, it'll be better, but the phone is better right now based on what I have seen in the last week with the Montana.

Oh, and the Montana's reception isn't anywhere near as good as the GPSMap 60csx or 62S with their quad helix antennae.

From the Zagg site:

"How do I remove the invisibleSHIELD if I need to?

Removing the invisibleSHIELD from your electronic device is easier than it may seem. It is much like peeling off a sticker. You will want to start at one corner and slowly peel back at a 90 degree angle."

DON'T DO THIS!

Edited by michaelnel

From the Zagg site:

"How do I remove the invisibleSHIELD if I need to?

Removing the invisibleSHIELD from your electronic device is easier than it may seem. It is much like peeling off a sticker. You will want to start at one corner and slowly peel back at a 90 degree angle."

DON'T DO THIS!

Sorry, to see your Montana screen gave way...

I've used these Screen Protectors since they came to market. I've removed many and just last week sent my zumo 660 in for repair - removing the invisibleShield to send in for replacement. If you don't remove the shield there is no warranty replacement. I've never pulled up at 90deg. I've always pulled slowly at close to 150-170deg with my finger on the area that I have already cleared to support the screen.

Cheers,

Edited by DRTBYK

Oh, and the Montana's reception isn't anywhere near as good as the GPSMap 60csx or 62S with their quad helix antennae.

I've had a 60CSX and my Montana side by side on numerous hikes and the satellite screens looked essentially the same. I also had an estimated 7ft accuracy displayed on the Montana quite a bit.

I'd be interested in hearing the experience that formed your stated opinion. Oh and sorry about your screen. I've done things like that in the past and I know, all too well, that heart sinking feeling at the moment of mishap.

Edited by yogazoo

Maybe it's a good thing that your Montana is going back with that type of Sat reception. My Montana (although it has other nav issues) has very good Sat reception in dense tree cover and has out performed all those around me - including GPSMAP 60CSx's.

Thank's for the pic. Good luck!

I am sure, you will get a completely new unit. (not only a new screen).

My 650t has best reception - also under heavy tree cover compared to these other units.

This pic is in sun and no heavy tree cover (waited about 7 minutes after starting the units):

http://www12345678.files.wordpress.com/2011/07/garminmontana.png

Best reception ever. (only my old 60csx might have the same excellent reception)

Edited by freeday

My Montana has amazed me with its accuracy while caching. It’s out preformed any of the 60-some other units I’ve had. I’ve experienced one shutdown, one stuck location display and a lot of incomplete shutdowns while in the auto mount. These will all be fixed in future software releases. I’m even still running 2.60 software. I run my nuvi right beside the Montana and the nuvi display looks pitiful now. I’ve only used the routing a handful of times, which seems to be a big issue with some. I’m sure I’m not the only lucky one out there that's happy with their Montana. Now if I could only get used to the SIZE!

Since Zagg did not make an official cover for the Montana at the time I ordered my unit. I went with the Montana screen protector from Garmin. It comes with three covers in case you have a problem. I messed up the first install but it was easy to remove and did not stress the screen pulling it off. It also has an anti-glare coating that looks great outdoors. JFYI

Edited by Lotek420

I doubt Garmin will fix anything but the broken plastic cover over the screen.

Your getting a new unit. Garmin almost never "repairs" a unit. They always, no matter how slight the issue, send a replacement.

I'd wait to judge the accuraccy and reception until you receive your new unit. Like the others above, my Montana is second to none in both categories.

Edited by yogazoo

Is the Montana display better (brighter under sunlight and/or cloudy) than an Oregon x50 display? Garmin implies that it is better w/o actually comparing. I realize the display is both bigger and has more pixels. Your objective and subjective comments appreciated.

I had an Oregon 450 and I would say the Montana screen is WAY more readable than the Oregon's.

Your getting a new unit. Garmin almost never "repairs" a unit. They always, no matter how slight the issue, send a replacement.

Do they transfer the licence keys for the maps over to the new serial number?

I can only remember one time out of the 15 GPSs I have owned that I sent a Garmin unit back for repairs. It was an original Vista that had display problems (not broken, just this weird "Venetian blind" effect). The replacement they sent me had the same problem as the one I sent in, except that it also had a dodgy joystick. I had to send that one back almost as soon as they sent it to me.

Hence my lack of optimism about what they will do this time. Perhaps things have gotten better in the intervening years.

Since Zagg did not make an official cover for the Montana at the time I ordered my unit. I went with the Montana screen protector from Garmin. It comes with three covers in case you have a problem. I messed up the first install but it was easy to remove and did not stress the screen pulling it off. It also has an anti-glare coating that looks great outdoors. JFYI

I had ordered and received a 3 pack of the Garmin anti-glare ones, and in fact that is why I was removing the Zagg, because I wanted to use the Garmin one instead.

Is the Montana display better (brighter under sunlight and/or cloudy) than an Oregon x50 display? Garmin implies that it is better w/o actually comparing. I realize the display is both bigger and has more pixels. Your objective and subjective comments appreciated.

In my opinion having owned an Oregon 450, the Montana wins hands down under any circumstances. It's not even close.

Don't take my word for it: http://forums.gpsreview.net/viewtopic.php?t=22935#158947

Went out hiking today with the Montana (1st time on the trails). Worked great. Finished the hike, and the freeway was jammed so I told the Montana to avoid freeways and take me home. That worked fine so I turned it off but next time I turned it on it wouldn't complete the boot process. Chokes somewhere along the way of booting up and shuts down. I can get to the USB drive. Managed to move all the maps into a separate folder but it still won't boot. Guess I'll have to call Garmin Monday. This thing shuts down way too often (well, usually you can turn it back on - but something is hosed on mine and its a paperweight now).

In my opinion having owned an Oregon 450, the Montana wins hands down under any circumstances. It's not even close.

I agree, I had a 450 (my Colorado 400 was even worse!) and had a LOT of trouble reading the display. The Montana's display is worlds better. Not just bigger, but far more easily readable under all conditions.

Went out hiking today with the Montana (1st time on the trails). Worked great. Finished the hike, and the freeway was jammed so I told the Montana to avoid freeways and take me home. That worked fine so I turned it off but next time I turned it on it wouldn't complete the boot process. Chokes somewhere along the way of booting up and shuts down. I can get to the USB drive. Managed to move all the maps into a separate folder but it still won't boot. Guess I'll have to call Garmin Monday. This thing shuts down way too often (well, usually you can turn it back on - but something is hosed on mine and its a paperweight now).

Try going into the Garmin/GPX/ folder and deleting any routes there including the current.gpx file inside the Garmin/GPX/Current/

Try going into the Garmin/GPX/ folder and deleting any routes there including the current.gpx file inside the Garmin/GPX/Current/

I downgraded the firmware from 2.6 to 2.5 and I'm okay again. I think the firmware downgrade reset the active profile and solved the problem. I probably could upgrade to 2.6 again but not sure if I want to.

Thanks for the help!

Hi,

I'm currently visiting Miami and Orlando from Norway. I'm trying to bring a Garmin Montana 600 back home (or 650 if that's what is available). Unfortunately, I haven't found any stores that sell the Montana.

Garmin's website gives no result whatever zip code I try. I suspect that their search is faulty, and have sent them an e-mail.

Any advice on where to buy a Montana, please?

The Montana series has hit sporting good stores accross the country, even around Helena Montana where I live (small city surrounded by nothing). I know it may be tough to find who's got it on the shelves online so I would try to call sporting goods stores in the area your visiting. I'm nearly positive you'll find one in a store. I think they're pretty much everywhere. Good luck.

Edited by yogazoo

For those already prepared to make the buy, this looks like the deal 'of the moment' on the 600 at $424.95 out the door, and in stock. They have the 650 for $467.45: http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11698375

I was out this weekend with my Oregon 550 in the sun and as per usual had a load of problems with viewing the screen. At this price I'd be very tempted to go for it but...I'm in Rip Off Britain and the best price I've seen for a 650 is £550 ($884) :mad:

For those already prepared to make the buy, this looks like the deal 'of the moment' on the 600 at $424.95 out the door, and in stock. They have the 650 for $467.45: http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11698375

I was out this weekend with my Oregon 550 in the sun and as per usual had a load of problems with viewing the screen. At this price I'd be very tempted to go for it but...I'm in Rip Off Britain and the best price I've seen for a 650 is £550 ($884) :mad:

I seem to have lost voice guidance under 2.60.

Of course with so many options available it may mean a morning of playing with all of them.

You must be using a voice other than American Jill. Any other voice will not work. The Dev Team know about it.

Cheers,

Not even Jill is working.

I seem to have lost voice guidance under 2.60.

Of course with so many options available it may mean a morning of playing with all of them.

You must be using a voice other than American Jill. Any other voice will not work. The Dev Team know about it.

Cheers,

Not even Jill is working.

Garmin fixed the non-TTS voices in version 2.6.

3 Things to check. No offense if they are obvious to you,

1) Make sure to check the following settings under "Tones" in the setup menu. 1) Tones=On, 2) Tones Output=Auto.

2) Make sure the volume is set to something audible (not ZERO).

3) Try a pair of headphones pluged into the units audio jack. If the voices work there then there's something wrong with the auto cradle.

Good luck!

Edited by yogazoo