Garmin Montana 650

Already been covered. Please try to keep up with the rest of the class... <_<

You'll need to take that up with Cisco. Had the answer typed prior, but the router decided to go stupid. If you'd like to drop by and kick it in the shins for me when it does that, I'd be forever grateful.

As to more relevant topics and posters -

@yogazoo: The 8th is for online shipments? The 'flagship' REI store down in the Denver area is usually on top of this sort of thing. He didn't see any scheduled shipments out two weeks into the future (about all the visibility he gets) and was advising that I call back then. It's a bit of a hike down there, so I'll plan to call them to verify before taking the trip. This one will definitely be a "touch and feel before buy" experience.

You'll need to take that up with Cisco. Had the answer typed prior, but the router decided to go stupid. If you'd like to drop by and kick it in the shins for me when it does that, I'd be forever grateful.

As to more relevant topics and posters -

@yogazoo: The 8th is for online shipments? The 'flagship' REI store down in the Denver area is usually on top of this sort of thing. He didn't see any scheduled shipments out two weeks into the future (about all the visibility he gets) and was advising that I call back then. It's a bit of a hike down there, so I'll plan to call them to verify before taking the trip. This one will definitely be a "touch and feel before buy" experience.

Try calling their main customer service #. Last week the REI main warehouse tracked the order and saw that July 8th was their expected receive date from Garmin. Things could have changed. Perhaps the store clerk doesn't have the order tracking capabilities as the main customer service representatives at the main online customer servic number. Worth a shot anyways. You're probably right, the 8th is probably for online shipments.

Edited by yogazoo

You'll need to take that up with Cisco. Had the answer typed prior, but the router decided to go stupid.

Suuuuure it did... You were a dog ate my homework kind of student, weren't you?

For those already prepared to make the buy, this looks like the deal 'of the moment' on the 600 at $424.95 out the door, and in stock. They have the 650 for $467.45: http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11698375

STOP TEMPTING ME!!

:lol:

WOW! That's less than what I paid for my 62s less than a year ago. The price-too-high argument is officially defunct!

I wouldn't wait too long. At these prices they will sell out in a hurry! I know three friends that purchased one in the time it took to call them on their cell phones to let them know. EMS is legit too!

Edited by yogazoo

Suuuuure it did... You were a dog ate my homework kind of student, weren't you?

Naw - and they didn't kick me out of half a dozen 'schools' (sometimes under a variety of aliases) for .. er.. whatever one does to get tossed out on one's ear these days, either. Manners and all that.

@yogazoo:

WOW! That's less than what I paid for my 62s less than a year ago. The price-too-high argument is officially defunct!
I must say, I'm a little surprised (but not entirely so) at the speed of the price erosion on this one. The usual suspects will be taking their standard slim margins and putting pressure on everyone else. When a manufacturer will sign up nearly anyone as a reseller, it's pretty hard to keep the channel in line - legally, anyway. Still, in the first week of sales, you don't often see 26% off the MSRP like this. I wonder if the margin on these was higher to begin with?

For those already prepared to make the buy, this looks like the deal 'of the moment' on the 600 at $424.95 out the door, and in stock. They have the 650 for $467.45: http://www.ems.com/p...ductId=11698375

I had been searching EMS for when it would be available. I have one close by and when you sign up for emails with them, they give you 15% off your purchase. This is a better deal though. Hopefully mine will be here shortly after the holiday weekend.

Anyone want an Oregon 550? :-)

Edit: speeling

Edited by bullygoat29

@yogazoo:

I must say, I'm a little surprised (but not entirely so) at the speed of the price erosion on this one. The usual suspects will be taking their standard slim margins and putting pressure on everyone else. When a manufacturer will sign up nearly anyone as a reseller, it's pretty hard to keep the channel in line - legally, anyway. Still, in the first week of sales, you don't often see 26% off the MSRP like this. I wonder if the margin on these was higher to begin with?

EMS is running a sale this weekend. 20% off almost everything. They list the Montana 650 as $549 and then it's 15% or 20% off of that.

For those already prepared to make the buy, this looks like the deal 'of the moment' on the 600 at $424.95 out the door, and in stock. They have the 650 for $467.45: http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11698375

Wow, I'll definitely have to pick up one in the very near future. Then, I'll be able to "play along" with all the other Montana owning, fine people here...

...and ecanderson... :laughing:

@yogazoo:

EMS is running a sale this weekend. 20% off almost everything. They list the Montana 650 as $549 and then it's 15% or 20% off of that.

Looks like Garmin is excluded in the 20/15 Event.

For those already prepared to make the buy, this looks like the deal 'of the moment' on the 600 at $424.95 out the door, and in stock. They have the 650 for $467.45: http://www.ems.com/p...ductId=11698375

How about a link to the 650? I went to their site with my finger on the trigger and can't find the 650.

Just type "Montana 650" in the search box at the top of the page, it pops right up.

I suspect they either sold out or have been told they were violating Garmin's minimum resale price and are pulling them down. The product ID is one number higher for the 650... 11698376. You can change it in the URL, but the page is now gone.

Yup, you're right. Lets hope they honor the price for those of us lucky enough to order one while it was up.

I suspect they either sold out or have been told they were violating Garmin's minimum resale price and are pulling them down.

I'm guessing it wasn't that (and that's a tricky thing to manage legally). The 600 is still up at the $424 price, and the discount below MSRP is almost identical on that one.

I called, got the last 650 they had in a store in New York. It was the display for a couple hours today. They guarantee its new condition or send it back. Got it for $439.96!!! I feel like a wiener (ya I know, didn’t spell winner correctly but it IS almost 4th of July). I’ll be the 1st on my block to have one and can join the Montana Gang. Now I need to sell about a dozen GPSr’s.

I called, got the last 650 they had in a store in New York. It was the display for a couple hours today. They guarantee its new condition or send it back. Got it for $439.96!!! I feel like a wiener (ya I know, didn’t spell winner correctly but it IS almost 4th of July). I’ll be the 1st on my block to have one and can join the Montana Gang. Now I need to sell about a dozen GPSr’s.

Well, so long as you don't feel like a Weiner... just be careful where you point the camera :lol:

@yogazoo:

Just thought I would add this... They may be excluded in the 20% off but it does include the 15% and you get an additional $20 gearbucks card to spend if you plan to buy anything again in the next few days (see below):

Gearbucks---Purchase $100 or more and receive a $20 Gearbucks card

Purchase $100 or more online or in store thru 6/8/2011 to 7/5/2011 and receive a $20 Gearbucks Card. Gearbucks will be included with package for online orders or handed out at time of purchase in store.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Redemption of Gearbucks earned from 6/8/2011 thru 7/5/2011

One $20 Gear Bucks Card may be applied to one $75 or more merchandise purchase online or in store, per customer, per day from 7/6/11 to 7/19/11. Valid on in-stock merchandise and cannot be combined with other offers, sales, or coupons. Gear Bucks may not be used for taxes, shipping and handling, gift card purchases, online gift certificates, the repurchase of returned merchandise, or product rentals. Gear Bucks cards are for one-time use only and are not redeemable for cash, and no cash will be given back. Cards are not redeemable by Eastern Mountain Sports employees. Other restrictions may apply.

I just have to say how incredibly cool it is to have both a Nuvi and and Oregon on steroids in one unit. The Montana truly is, in my opinion, the holy grail of Garmins. Once you set up the unit, no function or feature has to be more than two taps away. I take back what I said before, the Montana will be the gold standard of GPS units for a time to come. Reception is excellent, screen is the best on the market, and the menu system is unparalleled in it's user friendliness. The 600 model isn't that expensive compared to recent releases of previous models. The Montana is the Oregon killer. If you own an Oregon, once you get your hands on a Montana, there's no turning back. All my opinion of course. Others may disagree.

I have to agree. Having owned many garmin's over the past 10 years, the Montana is the best. I don't think anyone would regret buying this gps, if they don't mind the size

I received my 650 today. I removed the SD micro card from my Oregon 300 and installed it in the 650. I then used 3 AA batteries to power up the unit.

A few observations:

It is much faster than my Oregon. Yogazoo is right, it feels like it's on steroids compared to the Oregon 300.

The screen is gorgeous. Completely readable in sunlight.

I like the size of the unit. It fits comfortably in my hand, and with the 4" screen you have a lot of information available for viewing.

I jumped on my bicycle and did a 4-5 mile ride around my neighborhood, I had the 650 route me to a number of different locations, and I snapped some pictures along the route.

It came installed with software version 2.30; after I returned home from the bike ride I upgraded it to 2.50. The upgrade was flawless.

Did I say the screen is gorgeous?

I did not get it from EMS nor did I pay $440 for the 650 unfortunately. I purchased it from GPS City in Las Vegas, and delivered to my door it was a few dollars shy of $600.

I am delighted with the purchase.

Edited by Barrikady

@yogazoo:

Just thought I would add this... They may be excluded in the 20% off but it does include the 15% and you get an additional $20 gearbucks card to spend if you plan to buy anything again in the next few days (see below):

Gearbucks---Purchase $100 or more and receive a $20 Gearbucks card

Purchase $100 or more online or in store thru 6/8/2011 to 7/5/2011 and receive a $20 Gearbucks Card. Gearbucks will be included with package for online orders or handed out at time of purchase in store.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Redemption of Gearbucks earned from 6/8/2011 thru 7/5/2011

One $20 Gear Bucks Card may be applied to one $75 or more merchandise purchase online or in store, per customer, per day from 7/6/11 to 7/19/11. Valid on in-stock merchandise and cannot be combined with other offers, sales, or coupons. Gear Bucks may not be used for taxes, shipping and handling, gift card purchases, online gift certificates, the repurchase of returned merchandise, or product rentals. Gear Bucks cards are for one-time use only and are not redeemable for cash, and no cash will be given back. Cards are not redeemable by Eastern Mountain Sports employees. Other restrictions may apply.

Heres one more update... The link for the 600 thru ems is no longer available. They are sold out online (imagine that). I called customer service and requested the info. The rep contacted stores that showed it was available and they held it for me until I called back with my cc number. I still got free shipping and the $20 gear card... Yeah!!!!

EMS seems to be a pretty heads-up and honest outfit.

It's a large and pretty well known outfit if you're on the right side of the Mississippi. I wouldn't hesitate to buy from them. Since moving out west, I don't have a brick and mortar to look at stuff before buying, though, so usually wind up at some place like REI.

With the ability to add Garmin .srf files (Custom Vehicles) and with the ability to make your own quite easily. How long will it be until there are some really good navigational vehicles for the outdoorsman/hiker such as open site crosshairs or smaller arrows with open centers instead of the bulky old blue arrow?

For someone without a Nuvi, this opens a whole new world.

Check this site out!: Custom Vehicle Factory

Edited by yogazoo

Trying to decifer German makes my head hurt. It looks like a smaller black arrow to me. I was hoping to stumble accross some crosshairs or some hollowed out triangles. Something to allow me to see my exact location a bit more precisely instead of knowing that I'm under that big dumb triangle somewhere.

Something like this: Crosshair or Compass

Edited by yogazoo

Trying to decifer German makes my head hurt. It looks like a smaller black arrow to me. I was hoping to stumble accross some crosshairs or some hollowed out triangles. Something to allow me to see my exact location a bit more precisely instead of knowing that I'm under that big dumb triangle somewhere.

Something like this: Crosshair or Compass

You don't need to decipher German...just look at the pictures...several will do what you are looking for...if you see something you like download the attached file.

site freeday pointed you to...

http://www.naviboard.de/vb/showthread.php?t=34041

No reason, just wanted to try the different pointers. Thanks for the links!

Found a big bug today. If you have your Montana set to change profiles upon connecting and disconnecting the automotive mount your gps will not be able to restart if you let it shut down when removed from the mount. The gps will boot up normally up until it is about to display the main menu, then the screen will flash and it will shut down. The only way to fix it is a hard reset. Anyone else care to try this?

Edited by ryan3295

Found a big bug today. If you have your Montana set to change profiles upon connecting and disconnecting the automotive mount your gps will not be able to restart if you let it shut down when removed from the mount. The gps will boot up normally up until it is about to display the main menu, then the screen will flash and it will shut down. The only way to fix it is a hard reset. Anyone else care to try this?

How do you set it to change profiles upon removing from mount? OOps, nevermind, I figured it out.

Edited by yogazoo

Garmin; still the worst Email helpdesk ever.

I sent them 2 mails 1 week ago about issues with Montana, telling them I HAVE the latest software update.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Thank you for contacting Garmin. Please download the latest

software version 2.50 and test it again to see if the new software has

fixed the problem.

Please help us improve the service we offer you by taking our Customer

Support survey. Please click the following link -

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/OutdoorFitness

If there is anything else I can help you with then please let me know.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I really can't believe they sent me an answer like that. :D

They make the best Gps'es, but have the worst Email helpdesk.

How do you set it to change profiles upon removing from mount? OOps, nevermind, I figured it out.

I have mine set to switch to automotive profile when connect to the mount and geocaching when disconnected. Did you get this to happen on your Montana?

I have had my Montana 650 for a week, and mainly used it for Geocaching, and I am very happy with it so far. Also, I have got a lot of useful info by reading this thread. :D

Does the Montana's support Tourguide ?.

Until now, I have used a Nuvi 760 in my car with Tourguide alert for geocaches along the road (GSAK macro GPX_by_Cache_Type) and a 62S for the geocaching. What would be nice is to use the Montana the same way as the 760 and the 62S.

I had this same exact bug today. I'll definately send an email to the beta team on tuesday. I however didn't do a reset, All you have to do is plug it into the mount and it will boot up normally and everything is fixed. I thought I had a brick for a few minutes. Whew!

I'm a geocacher. Can anyone tell me how to go to coordinates, enter the info, and then see a dashboard similar to the geocaching compass that shows the distance to destination? The compass dashboard when going to coordinates does not seem to show the destination. Thanks