Garmin Montana 650

@ yogazoo

The nr 1 (landscape/portrait) issue was also in prior software releases.

It seems indeed the Nuvi automotive mode (locked on road) has some malfunctions.

Also the gps still shuts down after the Speed Alert warning (speedcam poi's)

Splashy, I nor anyone I have ever known has ever used the speedcam alert. Your on your own there.

ecanderson, The GPS functions quite well without (many) errors. It's when you go in to set-up the unit where you'll get the most crashes (in my experience). The geocaching compass dashboard still updates very slowly (low refresh rate, like once per second). Wierd because every other place you see the compass it updates nearly instantly (high refresh rate). Now I have yet to use extensively for caching (found one or two here and there) so I don't know what issues will pop up but it shoudln't "crash" persay.

I've got my eye on this one, so I hope Garmin gets the firmware sorted out because it would be neat and convenient to have a "two in one" unit. At least the hardware seems fairly solid at this point except maybe the battery cover, but time and use in the hands of the public will be the true telling...

However, it also reinforces my mindset on having two "good" separate units for car and handheld use. I'm really digging my two month old 3790t that replaced the venerable Nuvi 660. Had some "issues" at first, but Garmin fixed pretty much everything with the last firmware release. The old, solid 60CSx keeps trucking along with great accuracy. Oh, and a very readable screen, of course. :laughing:

Does anyone else notice any inconsistancies with the power button? Sometimes I have to press and hold the button numerous times b efore it will finally startup. Sometimes I have to take the batteries out and reinstall to get it to work. I've noticed this behavior in models such as the 62 and Oregon but not quite as much.

Does anyone else notice any inconsistancies with the power button? Sometimes I have to press and hold the button numerous times b efore it will finally startup. Sometimes I have to take the batteries out and reinstall to get it to work. I've noticed this behavior in models such as the 62 and Oregon but not quite as much.

Wonderful. I take back my comment about the hardware being "solid". :rolleyes:

Sorry for your troubles and I hope you get it sorted out quickly. I HATE it when an expensive new toy doesn't work right. :angry:

I've always assumed that whatever circuit the power button is connected to has some type of capacitor that charges or discharges to enable a power up sequence. It's fine, I can always get it to start but sometimes not on the first press of the button.

The "Save Always" feature for recording barometeric pressure appears to be broken (or disabled) in 2.5. In 2.4 this feature powered up the unit completely when it was recording pressure data and the unit stayed on (woke up to nearly dead batteries more than once). In v2.5 you get straight line data between power-down and power-up. Straight line means no variability which means the pressure plot is simply given a linear trendline between two points.

I'll go ahead and speculate that the software team simply disabled the feaure until they have time to figure out why it was powering up the units. Triage. Again, pure speculation.

My Power button works fine. - Seems, that yout unit is broken.

On my unit (i am talking about the hardware) only the batterie back does not fit very well. (you can move it a little bit).

That sucks, as well. Does it seem like it would affect whatever water resistance that unit is supposed to have?

Is your altimeter set to record barometric pressure, and set as save always? Change it to save when power on and I bet that will fix your problem. I used to have that same problem on my 62, changed pressure trending to save when on and would take care of the problem. Of course it is fixed now with latest firmware.

Ryan3295, excellent photo's! Although the Montana's screen is really bright, I think that most of the problem with terrain shading on the 62 is that it's over-pronounced. Notice the differences in the topo line coloration as well.

Also, thanks for the info on the power button. It was exactly my scenario. I'll let the beta team know so they can implement the same fix as the 62.

Addressing the battery cover. The seal protecting the batteries (and everything else inside the unit) is not around the periphery of the battery cover but rather inside closer to the batteries. The horizontal movements have nothing to do with how well it's sealed. It's the vertical fit (tightness to the unit) that matters.

I've had my Montana 650 completely submersed taking underwater pictures of some big trout in the Madison River (Montana) and they came out great. What's more, my Montana didn't experience any water penetration whatsoever.

Edited by yogazoo

I just have to say how incredibly cool it is to have both a Nuvi and and Oregon on steroids in one unit. The Montana truly is, in my opinion, the holy grail of Garmins. Once you set up the unit, no function or feature has to be more than two taps away. I take back what I said before, the Montana will be the gold standard of GPS units for a time to come. Reception is excellent, screen is the best on the market, and the menu system is unparalleled in it's user friendliness. The 600 model isn't that expensive compared to recent releases of previous models. The Montana is the Oregon killer. If you own an Oregon, once you get your hands on a Montana, there's no turning back. All my opinion of course. Others may disagree.

Edited by yogazoo

Well I guess I am a sucker! I went ahead and ordered a 600 that will be here Friday.

I posted a question on a different board then I found all this here. I dont want the camera on my gps so Im seriously thinking about the 600. Please let me know asap what you think as I plan to purchase in the next few days. Also, is there any additionals that need to be purchased. I am completely new to this kind of technology. I dont know what version the 600 has that I am looking at but Im guessing it doesnt have the updates Ive been reading about. Please help!!! Thanks

Edited by SA Georiders

Well I guess I am a sucker! I went ahead and ordered a 600 that will be here Friday.

I posted a question on a different board then I found all this here. I dont want the camera on my gps so Im seriously thinking about the 600. Please let me know asap what you think as I plan to purchase in the next few days. Thanks

The Montana is a winner. Depending on your uses. If the "rider" in your name implies motorcycle, then you will love the 600 (much better screen than the zumo). If the "rider" implies a pedal bike, you may want to wait until (if) a bike mount is available or modify the ATV/motorcycle mount to your bike. Well, I could go on but there are many posts by owners in here that say it all. Trust me, you'll love it. There are a few bugs, and yes it sucks to have to be patient until they're addressed but it will be sooner than later.

I posted a question on a different board then I found all this here. I dont want the camera on my gps so Im seriously thinking about the 600. Please let me know asap what you think as I plan to purchase in the next few days. Thanks

The Montana is a winner. Depending on your uses. If the "rider" in your name implies motorcycle, then you will love the 600 (much better screen than the zumo). If the "rider" implies a pedal bike, you may want to wait until (if) a bike mount is available or modify the ATV/motorcycle mount to your bike. Well, I could go on but there are many posts by owners in here that say it all. Trust me, you'll love it. There are a few bugs, and yes it sucks to have to be patient until they're addressed but it will be sooner than later.

OK....all I want it for is to geocache with the kids.

Are these bugs going to effect it??

OK....all I want it for is to geocache with the kids.

Are these bugs going to effect it??

No, the bugs shouldn't effect geocaching. Most of the bugs have to do with 3 different areas, 1) The barometer and "Save Always", 2) Extensive customizing of the unit, and 3) Some auto-nav features. There is always the unknown however.

Edited by yogazoo

The backgrounds of the Montana series.

Each profile has 4 seperate jpg's associated with the backgrounds; 2 day backgrounds (landscape and portrait), and 2 night backgrounds (landscape and portrait). The night backgrounds are the same as the day backgrounds only the brightness is toned down quite a bit to give the screen a very pleasing glare-free look and are automatically changed at sundown (switched back to day at sunrise). Custom backgrounds can be made but 4 jpg's need to be made to satisfy the requirements of the unit.

Naming conventions are:

example_portrait_day.jpg

example_landscape_day.jpg

example_portrait_night.jpg

example_landscape_night.jpg

A word on custom backgrounds. The unit comes with some very nice choices and they are rather dark. The darkness of the backgrounds is actually very nice as it makes the icons pop. The screen is so readable that the backgrounds don't really need to be brightened to see the icons because the buttons arent affected by the color of the background unlike the semi-transparent buttons on the oregon series.

But if you're like me you like to play around and make custom backgrounds anyway.

Edited by yogazoo

Glad you like it, but the old style "clunky" Nuvi graphics blows compared to some of the newer high-res glass touchscreen auto units like the 3790t...

The Montana's nuvi graphics look exactly like the 3790t's graphics.

Oh really? Whilst researching this unit, I haven't seen any screenshots showing the high resolution 3D driving display WITH terrain on a planned route. According to the Garmin specs, it doesn't appear to have photo realistic Junction Views, either. It's not the same thing as lane assist, which both units do have.

Glad you like it, but the old style "clunky" Nuvi graphics blows compared to some of the newer high-res glass touchscreen auto units like the 3790t...

Oh really? Whilst researching this unit, I haven't seen any screenshots showing the high resolution 3D driving display WITH terrain on a planned route. According to the Garmin specs, it doesn't appear to have photo realistic Junction Views, either. It's not the same thing as lane assist, which both units do have.

Wrong. They are exactly the same.

Then post up some photos or links to back up that suspect claim... The specifications on Garmin's own page don't show it having Junction View.

Then post up some photos or links to back up that suspect claim... The specifications on Garmin's own page don't show it having Junction View.

Nope, don't feel like it. But when I do I will, maybe.

Edited by ryan3295

sviking,

When I said graphics I meant the map screen view and look, sorry for not clarifying. And yes it does have 3d view with terrain display (map product required). No, the Montana doesn't have junction view and may not have all the bells and whistles of the high end car navigators. However I don't think anyone here is holding the Montana to that standard.

Edited by yogazoo

I just have to say how incredibly cool it is to have both a Nuvi and and Oregon on steroids in one unit. The Montana truly is, in my opinion, the holy grail of Garmins. Once you set up the unit, no function or feature has to be more than two taps away. I take back what I said before, the Montana will be the gold standard of GPS units for a time to come. Reception is excellent, screen is the best on the market, and the menu system is unparalleled in it's user friendliness. The 600 model isn't that expensive compared to recent releases of previous models. The Montana is the Oregon killer. If you own an Oregon, once you get your hands on a Montana, there's no turning back. All my opinion of course. Others may disagree.

I have to agree. Having owned many garmin's over the past 10 years, the Montana is the best. I don't think anyone would regret buying this gps, if they don't mind the size

I want to talk with Garmin's betatester :D

You're wearing his pants.

i'm a developer :) and yesterday i've talk with the Montana Developer Team ;)

we've verified a lot a bug together, the last is a Dashboard issue in main page after a planned trip..dashboard disappear and after 1-2 minutes we've a crash

********************************************************************************************************

Andrea,

We will take your system.xml file if you want to send it to us.

Garmin Montana Software Development Team

********************************************************************************************************

To: Oregon Beta

Subject: RE: Montana - another bug with shutdown, easy to reproduce

i trying to explain using italian name i found in Montana :

i use "Pianifica percorso"

then "+crea percorso" -> "seleziona primo punto" -> "usa mappa" ( i confirm current position as start point ) -> "seleziona punto successivo" -> "città" ( select a random city )

now i select the just created "percorso 001" -> "mappa" -> "vai" ( starting navigation )

then Montana ask me "Seleziona un'attività per il calcolo del percorso" -> i select "Modalità Ciclistica" then "Riduci tempo"

now i see the map for navitagion...if you press the "x" Montana return to main page without dashboard, only icons in the bottom

Res: Awesome! Thanks for the info. We’ll look into it.

Edited by andregixxer

"I just have to say how incredibly cool it is to have both a Nuvi and and Oregon on steroids in one unit. The Montana truly is, in my opinion, the holy grail of Garmins"

I have some kind of Indiama Jones feeling, 'Gps???, THIS is a GPS'

Agreed, everyone I've personally shown the unit to has made plans to sell their current unit and purchase a Montana. Once you bear witness to it's awesomeness, there's no turning back. There are very few in this discussion that actually have the unit. I'm looking forward to more feedback from more people on their impressions and some "professional" reviews from some of the GPS web-sites out there. Everyone was all over the Oregon, Colorado, and 62 when it came out, I'm somewhat confused at the lack of buzz or general discussion over the release of the Montana, arguably the best handheld GPS ever.

If you were thinking of the "knife" quote like that, it was Crocodile Dundee...not Indiana Jones... :laughing:

Nice. Especially coming from a guy who would have pulled out a gpsmap 60csx. :anitongue:

Nice. Especially coming from a guy who will not and/or cannot back up his claim, either. :rolleyes:

I think there is a possible misconception out there that the Montana is geared towards a different crowd than the handheld user category, a niche product of sorts for the ATV, motorcycle, snowmobile crowd. I'll tell you it's not. The features and functionality are geared towards the outdoor handheld market with the added benefit of features the motorized crowd would love. It's almost amazing to me that Garmin rolled so many great features into a super friendly/customizable interface. Usually they intentionally leave a few things to be desired on purpose. They may have outdone themselves, to our delight.

If you were thinking of the "knife" quote like that, it was Crocodile Dundee...not Indiana Jones... :laughing:

Nice. Especially coming from a guy who would have pulled out a gpsmap 60csx. :anitongue:

Nice. Especially coming from a guy who will not and/or cannot back up his claim, either. :rolleyes:

Your still on that. Sounds to be like your worried somebody might know something you don't.

Your still on that. Sounds to be like your worried somebody might know something you don't.

At least I know the difference between your and you're, including their respective proper usages... :laughing:

Yep you sure do. But don't worry that was just for you, because I know how you love being right. :laughing::laughing:

At least I know the difference between your and you're, including their respective proper usages... :laughing:

Yep you sure do. But don't worry that was just for you, because I know how you love being right. :laughing::laughing:

Too bad you can't (or won't) prove your claim to demonstrate you can, just maybe, actually be right as many other people accomplish on a day-to-day basis...

I'd like to buy a Montana, but I have to wait until I can afford to buy the forklift necessary to move it around. ;-)

While I was surprise by the size of the Montana when I first got it, I have not found it to be a problem.

A little size comparison:

100_3016.jpg

100_3014.jpg

"I just have to say how incredibly cool it is to have both a Nuvi and and Oregon on steroids in one unit. The Montana truly is, in my opinion, the holy grail of Garmins"

Crocodile Dundee?

Still no physical samples to look at here in the Denver area. The flagship REI store doesn't even have a schedule for when they expect to see them. Everyone is still pointing to their online stores.

Crocodile Dundee?

Already been covered. Please try to keep up with the rest of the class... <_<

Crocodile Dundee?

Still no physical samples to look at here in the Denver area. The flagship REI store doesn't even have a schedule for when they expect to see them. Everyone is still pointing to their online stores.

REI - July 8th Ship date. Stores should see them shortly after that.

Crocodile Dundee?

Already been covered. Please try to keep up with the rest of the class... <_<

Cool. Your right again! :lol: