Garmin Montana 650

One problem I'm noticing is when you have the barometer set to "Save Always" even when powered off, the GPS magically turns itself back on within 15 minutes of powering down. I think that when the processor wakes up to record the pressure, it's getting confused and instead of only powering up what is needed, it turns the unit completely on. Setting the barometer to record only when powered on will solve this problem.

Another point of contention is that I'm not seeing the battery life numbers that are advertised. I'm seeing about 11 hours out of AA NIMH's (Eneloops) and about 7 hours from the Li-ion battery pack. I do have WAAS and the compass enabled but still. Perhaps employing stricter battery saving measures will improve things a bit. I hope.

Edited by yogazoo

Montana beeps coming near to a speedcam poi, the 3th or 4th time it beeps the Montana shuts down.

My tones settings are still factory setting, but it seems a bit much to all these warnings.

The same problem on the gpsmap62-series.

Garmin knows about the problem - but they never could solve the bug.

Okay, I have had this thing out of the box not even an hour and already have a problem - I cannot calibrate the compass. I only made it passed the initial rotation screen once, but when I had to flip the gps it says calibration failed. Anyone else had any luck with this?

Montana software version update 2.40

I haven't received my 650 yet and I don't know what software version is shipping with the new Montana's.

However I do know that Garmin released a software update on June 14 (Thank you Allory!)

Change History

Changes made from version 2.20 to 2.40:

Improved searching for Addresses and Intersections

Fixed potential shutdown when leaving Recently Found list

Fixed shutdown when navigating 'To Beginning' of GPI route

Fixed shutdown when performing a mount-related Profile change while powering up

Get it here:

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=5335

I cannot calibrate the compass no matter how hokey my pokey is. Had some impromptu crashes today as well. Glad to know this rollout is no different than any of the previous models. :rolleyes:<_<

Nice to see I am not the only one! I will be putting this to the test tomorrow on a family camping trip, cannot wait!

Montana software version update 2.40

I haven't received my 650 yet and I don't know what software version is shipping with the new Montana's.

However I do know that Garmin released a software update on June 14 (Thank you Allory!)

Hey Barrikady, My Montana 650 shipped with version 2.20. Hopefully the compass issue was fixed even though there's no mention of it.

I'm curious to know what everyone else is getting for battery life. Mine seems to be getting alot less than the advertised values. The battery meter for NIMH seems to be a bit off as well.

One advatnage to the Garmin Li-ion is that the battery meter on the backlight menu tells you the percentage left. Seems like they could also add that percentage to the battery meter on the main menu.

Also, has anyone noticed that the compass on the dashboards is sluggish? It bahaves like the old compasses and isn't smooth like it should be.

Would anyone know if the Montana 650t file system, once connected to the computer, is accessible (operates, set up like) the Oregon 550t. For example, I can connect the Oregon 550t via USB to the computer and just drop a GPX file right into the GPX folder on the Garmin unit. I don't have to utilize any software to transfer the files or upload POI or anything of that sort. In addition when loading caches back to geocaching.com there is a simple txt file that logs the cache finds. I really like this ability with the Oregon 550t and want to know if the Montana 650t will work in the same manner.

Would anyone know if the Montana 650t file system, once connected to the computer, is accessible (operates, set up like) the Oregon 550t.

Per the Montana manual, yes. It's another 'external drive' as is your Oregon.
In addition when loading caches back to geocaching.com there is a simple txt file that logs the cache finds.

(Per the manual) As opposed to just a found/not-found, the Montana includes a "Needs Repair" option, which implies that a log file (likely geocache_visits.txt again) is being built as it the case for other units.

I'm curious to know what everyone else is getting for battery life. Mine seems to be getting alot less than the advertised values. The battery meter for NIMH seems to be a bit off as well.

One advatnage to the Garmin Li-ion is that the battery meter on the backlight menu tells you the percentage left. Seems like they could also add that percentage to the battery meter on the main menu.

Also, has anyone noticed that the compass on the dashboards is sluggish? It bahaves like the old compasses and isn't smooth like it should be.

Just throwing this out there. Ever consider maybe your playing with it more than normal because it's new?

Just throwing this out there. Ever consider maybe your playing with it more than normal because it's new?

I have considered that. I dismissed the night I got it as taxing the processor more than normal due to shifting everything around to my liking. The next day however I took it for a hike and a drive and generally left it alone.

The Montana freezes when powered up from the car mount cradle. You would have thought someone would have tested the cradle interoperablitity a little more before the big release. Why break the tradition of waiting a year before the bugs are worked all out. Oh well, mostly works.

Hi,

Thanks Splashy, but as above tried it loads of times. As above I've contacted Garmin and await their response, will reply as soon as.

Yogazoo; look forward to any info you get, likewise I'll reply with mine.

Cheers, Mark

Hi,

Thanks Splashy, but as above tried it loads of times. As above I've contacted Garmin and await their response, will reply as soon as.

Yogazoo; look forward to any info you get, likewise I'll reply with mine.

Cheers, Mark

I cannot seem to make it pass the first step. Looks like garmin will be getting a call from me as well.

Getting past the first step in compass calibration was a hurdle at first. Following Splashy's recomendation helped. But it seems like if you can get past the first step you always get hung up on the third.

My only fear here is that if maybe it's a hardware issue. I know Garmin is good about addressing problems and, except for the early Colorado models, I've never had a problem related to hardware. I'm not worried, just have to be patient. Hopefully (and as I would expect) the fixes come fast and furious over the next few weeks.

Had Montana in automotive profile.

Setup

Display

Orientation lock

Lock Landscape

This setting overrules the Map orientation, thus your map will stay fixed the way it was.

For automotive this setting is unacceptable.

As for sports it's not really useful. :anitongue: :anitongue:

This seems to happen when driving on secundairy roads, with lock on road ON.

Edited by splashy

Try between thumb and index finger, halfway slide them a bit over the case.

Without wiggling the Gps horizontally.

I have tried it on a plastic table in the middle of my from yard that is level still no success! Fact is, even if it did work, calibrating the compass should not be this hard!

Looking at my last post I should have added, the garmin tech could not get two different montana models to calibrate on the last step. I do believe it is a bug.

I there some way to fasten the Montana securely to a backpack and at the same time make it easy to take a look at?

I use a belt clip to fasten my 60CSx to one of the backpack straps. Is there a belt clip or carabiner clip for the Montana?

Not at the moment. There is a hole for tethering but no accessories to connect to a backpack yet. The 60CSx belt clip works perfect on the front of backpack shoulder straps. I hope someone comes out with a Montana solution soon. So far I haven't seen anything.

Add me to the not able to calibrate list. I have had a Oregon and 62S and no problem with calibration of the compass...I have screwed with this thing for hours now and it will not calibrate. The very first time I tried I was able to get to step three but then it would fail. Now I cannot get past step One. Funny(not) but this mirrors my experience with the Oregon that I had and I dont recall what the fix for it was but the problem went away.

I there some way to fasten the Montana securely to a backpack and at the same time make it easy to take a look at?

I use a belt clip to fasten my 60CSx to one of the backpack straps. Is there a belt clip or carabiner clip for the Montana?

Not at the moment. There is a hole for tethering but no accessories to connect to a backpack yet. The 60CSx belt clip works perfect on the front of backpack shoulder straps. I hope someone comes out with a Montana solution soon. So far I haven't seen anything.

The only viable solution, I feel, would be something that clips into the car mount recepticals that is smallish and would have a rail or some other kind of clip on it. Given the size and weight we may be relegated to a carry pouch. It fits perfectly in the Nite-Ize medium/tall case.

randomly when i change altitude graph in barometric graph....singh :(

I have that same problem. Whenever I want to look at the altimeter graph and my graph is set to display the barometric pressure, I get a crash. I contacted Garmin today about this issue and they had me send them the .xml file in the Garmin folder. The .xml logs crash data. The Montana Beta SOftware Team said a firmware update will soon be released but it's their policy not to say exactly when. I would suspect a fix in the next release.

It's heartwarming to see that Garmin has stuck to their tried and true formula of releasing a product before it has undergone an acceptable amount of debugging. They should pay you guys for testing their product, not expect you to pay a premium for being early adopters.

(all GPS devices I own are Garmin products - 6 of them so far)

I've found another oddity I thought I'd share.

When you have custom dashboards setup on the map screen (one for "when navigating" another for "when not navigating"), and you either begin or end your navigation, the dashboard doesn't change as it's setup to do. If you exit and re-enter the map screen it will change but who wants to do that every time?

You know, I'm usually pretty patient with this stuff but I'm getting kind of tired of all these little bugs every time a new unit is released. For the price of shipping a few of these out to people like us before releasing it, they would have all these things identified already.

For the price of shipping a few of these out to people like us before releasing it, they would have all these things identified already.

They do make use of beta testers, and such things are found. Whether shipping deadlines dictated by sales and marketing trump bug lists is a different story.

GOOD:

Nice new unit.

It is really waterproof (i mounted the protector-shield under the water which is much easier)

Much easier to change settings than in the oregon family (i like the power-menues)

great display (much better than oregon)

very fast speed compared to gpsmap62 and oregon-series

BUT:

NO COMPASS calibration possible (failed)

In the first 4 hours i had 7-8 CRASHES under different operations (profile change, calculation, map scrolling,...)

I hope Garmin can solve this CRASHES within 12-15 months.

So, in summer 2012 the unit might work as designed.

Overall, the best GARMIN of the 21th century, but crashes very often as every new garmin.

Is there a specific email-adress to contact montana-developers?

I think, the unit was not tested before rollout.

Edited by freeday

got a 650t last week

I can confirm there is NO way to calibrate the compass (I always fail at the 3rd step) and I got a lot of crashes while playing with it.

I'm surprised Nuvi part is kind of limited compared to my old nuvi 200, I din't buy the montana for car navigation but it's disappointing.

And it doesn't have the measure distance feature, very strange..

apart this problems the unit is very big but feels solid and nice in the hand, you are not scared to make it fall, the screen under direct sunlight is super visible, much more than any other LCD device I have, in shade the backlight works well.

I don't have an oregon or dakota but the interface is really finger sized with such a big screen, it's possible to operate with gloves.

Question, do I have to calibrate the altimeter? How's the best way?

I've found another oddity I thought I'd share.

When you have custom dashboards setup on the map screen (one for "when navigating" another for "when not navigating"), and you either begin or end your navigation, the dashboard doesn't change as it's setup to do. If you exit and re-enter the map screen it will change but who wants to do that every time?

You know, I'm usually pretty patient with this stuff but I'm getting kind of tired of all these little bugs every time a new unit is released. For the price of shipping a few of these out to people like us before releasing it, they would have all these things identified already.

Hey come on, atleast the case doesn't squeek. :lol: