Subscription "Feature"

borg7531

Am I the only one or does $30 a year seem high? I understand the need for money to keep the site going and do not mind helping out, and the premium subscription feature is one way. I would have no problem paying an amount closer to $10. What do others think? icon_frown.gif

I think $30 is great. I don't know if it's because I know what it takes to maintain a site like this or not or the fact that I know that it's sometimes difficult to get "subscribers".

$3 a month is a very fair price in my opinion. The work that has gone into this site to make everything flow nicely has been deep icon_smile.gif

Also, it's worth it for a year of fun icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by borg7531:

Am I the only one or does $30 a year seem high? I understand the need for money to keep the site going and do not mind helping out, and the premium subscription feature is one way. I would have no problem paying an amount closer to $10. What do others think? icon_frown.gif

This subject has been thoroughly discussed and hashed out over the last month. My answer is that everything would be free as long as someone else is paying for it. $30.00 a year is chump change. I pay that much in gas every time I go Geocaching. Sorry to be so blunt but this site is worth way more than the 8 cents a day it cost me. Without it, Geocaching would not exist in the form that it now does. The beauty about it is you don't have to pay if you don't want to. You can get all the necessary benefits of the site to Geocache without paying. I hope you can see the benefits of supporting the site as times goes on.

15777_1900.gif

$2.50 a month is very cheap ... even if we were getting half of what we receive ... but you don't have to pay anything to play. So donate $10 through paypal and go that route ... or pay nothing and have a ball.

If you do a search in the old forums, this subject has been beat to death. No disrespect intended ... but really, you can play for free. But if you choose to further the cause ... you can't even see a movie for $2.50 many places ... and you can do this everyday of the month for that $2.50 ... or nothing ... did I mention you can play for free icon_biggrin.gif

348_2702.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Hawk-eye:

Wow mule ... we must have been having the same thought at the same time icon_biggrin.gif

http://img.Groundspeak.com/cache/348_2702.gif

Yep Hawk we seem to think along the same lines about Geocaching and supporting this site. I try not to get ruffled when someone just asks a simple question but I really do enjoy this site and what it has done for a hobby that I enjoy so much.

15777_1900.gif

$20 per year to be a member of the local ferret enthusiast club

$25 per year to be a member of the local MOMS club

$29 per year to have a subscription to National Geographic

$36 per year to have a subscription to Southern Living

I think I could hardly complain then about $30 for support and/or additional features for an activity on which I spend so much time and from which I derive so much enjoyment.

Now what might be a nice feature would be a special rate for families with multiple IDs or price break for additional family members. For example:

$30 charter membership

$60 charter member privileges for up to 4 IDs in the same household

OR

$15 for each additional ID with charter member privileges within the same household.

Numbers are for illustration only and not intended to suggest actual amounts.

T-storm

http://www.cordianet.com/geocaching

OK, I'm in the minority (even though almost 1/2 the replies were by charter members). With two VERY active geocachers doing most of the hiding in my area, and one of them now a charter member--whose caches represent ~20% of the caches in my area, I was concern it would make membership a necessity. $ 30 bucks a year is not alot true, and I do not entiely rule out joining eventually(... the coffee really comment hit home icon_razz.gif ).

quote:
Originally posted by borg7531:

OK, I'm in the minority (even though almost 1/2 the replies were by charter members).

Hehe... and there are so many of us for a reason. icon_wink.gif

Seriously, though, I've spent $30 on gas in a weekend of caching. If I can't spare it once a year, I really need to sell my GPS receivers on eBay... I could probably get about what I'd spend in a decade on memberships. (In fact, I'm pondering getting an SD card that costs about three years of charter membership here.)

I'd be willing to pay more....heck $30 bucks isn't too much, it's too little. Hey Jeremy, raise the rates! (and include a free patch made special just for charter members) icon_wink.gif

ummmm....not sure what to say here....so ummm, well errrr, uhhhh, well I guess that's it.

I don't think $30 a year is bad at all when you consider all the fun we get to have due to the hardwork out into the web site.

And as far as support, I think it is OUR support that is needed to show appreciation for all their hard work. After all, how many of us have the organizational skills to keep track of all this information as well as Jeremy has?

M-D-M Explorations

MrSki and DogMa

40º 07.874'N

88º 11.647'W

Prices to have a site hosted and maintained:

1. Computer ($500) generic

2. Domain $20/yr average

3. Hosting fees from ISP $$$$/MB

4. Database backended $$$$

5. Bandwidth $$$$$$$$$$$$$ it's not free

6. Webdesigner $60/hr minimum

7. Someone's time and effort to keep this site maintained 24/7

8. Discussion forum $199

I know I may have missed something but this will give you a general idea of what $30/yr will pay for. An extremely popular site will use MASSIVE bandwidth and sometimes the ISP will go up on the charges if the site goes over the max allowed. This site is very popular as we all know and in order for this site to continue to grow it will need funds.

$30 is cheap!

Just my .02

Scarlett