Geocaching on the BBC

The geocaching piece exceeded my expectations, well done to those involved :grin: . I'll forgive the 1.4 million caches in the UK bit!

The Anneka Rice part was a good bit of fun too even if it was not really much to do with geocaching!

Not found anything published yet - they could at least have made it an event cache!

Or from the traffic problems, a Mega??

Chris

nearest cache is 286ft so is to close to be published on geocaching.com!

Bad planning!

Chris

Maybe it was on the other site!

Edited by NattyBooshka

The Anneka Rice part was a good bit of fun too even if it was not really much to do with geocaching!

Didn't watch it.

Presume the Anneka Rice bit was a corny pun by the Beeb on the fact she did a programme called Treasure Hunt, and caching is a Treasure Hunt...

Would you have rather it been Keith chegwyn? :blink:

J

Didn't watch it.

Presume the Anneka Rice bit was a corny pun by the Beeb on the fact she did a programme called Treasure Hunt, and caching is a Treasure Hunt...

Would you have rather it been Keith chegwyn? :blink:

J

When I was in my youth I was intrigued by the fact Annika Rice did her housework naked. Of course I'm nearly 40 now, and she's much older... The impression has gone... now if they'd used Annabelle Croft :)

It was great fun! The piece about finding the 2 geocaches in the Brecons was very well done and explained about caching nicely! The bit in Bristol was a laugh! Yes, they called it a treasure hunt and got a fact or two wrong but so what!

Bit of background. When I was talking to the producer during the week he was quite clear they were not putting out a cache so I was surprised when Aneka announced there was one. It isn't listed anywhere so you can't go and find it. When we got there the producer was really worried NO ONE would turn up. We got stuck on the M32 in traffic for a while. The first people to arrive did so 5 minutes after the coords were announced. Not geocachers but locals who were watching and realised where it was.

A few geocachers did turn up, AlanG, Odyssians and a couple of others who if they'll forgive me I've not got their names.!

Chris

I might have got my trainers on all the way up here in the North if itd have been Dale Winton....my hero.....Remember next time you hear the BEEP think about the fun you could be having on Supermarket Sweeeep :)

Was considering the drive down to my cousins in Bristol... But someone up here offered me a large JB!

not a gps in site!

woman on the right of the group, garmin GPS round neck, does that count?

I'm pretty sure that was a Tea Trolley ..... Mrs B, come on down!

If you mean the short one with glasses, in the dark brown jacket, carrying a furled brolly... yes, it was me (sans tea trolley).

It went OK, had a good few people turn up (there were other late arrivals who didn't get into the group shot) plus a couple of dogs so not bad for a wet Friday evening in Bristol.

MrsB :)

If you mean the short one with glasses, in the dark brown jacket, carrying a furled brolly... yes, it was me (sans tea trolley).

It went OK, had a good few people turn up (there were other late arrivals who didn't get into the group shot) plus a couple of dogs so not bad for a wet Friday evening in Bristol.

Oh no, could have said hello to the (in)famous blorenges, and missed the chance B)

It was a fun way to spend an hour or so

Oh no, could have said hello to the (in)famous blorenges, and missed the chance B)

It was a fun way to spend an hour or so

Sorry to have missed you! Come to the "Picnic up the horse" event instead - We can say "hi" there instead! :D

MrsB

There were quite a few people who turned up who knew nothing about geocaching but arrived at the co-ords using car sat-nav or phone applications. Maybe prospective geocachers? We'll see.

Suspect some people just turned up to be on telly.

I'm pretty sure some turned up just to see Anneka Rice :D

Edited by The Blorenges

... I don't know any of the other cachers there... :)

Suspect some people just turned up to be on telly.

Kids found it with a SatNav..? :o

Watch out for the "How do I find caches with my car satnav?" on the forums. :rolleyes:

they were probably the first kids there, so producers gave them the win.

TV is all smoke and mirrors!!

I did dislike the way they focused on treasure, whereas we know most of the stuff in a cache is tat lol

well the piece had one effect

The One Show sunk as rain forced the delay of Andy Murray's third-round Wimbledon match.

Chris Evans and Alex Jones's hour-long show, shunted to BBC Two in favour of the tennis, plunged to 1.92m (9.3%), its lowest ever audience.

A very professional piece of work I thought.

I reckon the showing of an "extreme" cache will not entice many new followers. That can only be a good thing.

Aneka Rice has aged well, but still looks like a halibut. She don't float my boat.

The most amazing thing was finding out Gok Wan is light footed! :rolleyes:

(I'll apologise in advance to mtn-man for going offtopic)

Edited by Chili-K

A very professional piece of work I thought.

I reckon the showing of an "extreme" cache will not entice many new followers. That can only be a good thing.

Aneka Rice has aged well, but still looks like a halibut. She don't float my boat.

The most amazing thing was finding out Gok Wan is light footed! :rolleyes:

(I'll apologise in advance to mtn-man for going offtopic)

Ohh that will explain why I fancy her. [;)]

The piece about finding the 2 geocaches in the Brecons was very well done and explained about caching nicely!

I may be a bit late asking this, but anyone know what the "extreme" cache was that they showed? It looked fun and I'm in Wales at the end of this month for some minor event! ;)

Not sure what it was, but I do know it's been archived so no longer do-able :(

The piece about finding the 2 geocaches in the Brecons was very well done and explained about caching nicely!

I may be a bit late asking this, but anyone know what the "extreme" cache was that they showed? It looked fun and I'm in Wales at the end of this month for some minor event! ;)

:blink::( I'll have to have a search around the area and see if there is anything similar that looks as exciting!

I too went straight onto the web to track this dark cache down. I think it's this one as the photo matched my memory of the BBC piece. It looked a bit better on TV than it sounds on the cache page, and it seems only to have lasted a couple of weeks :(

:blink::( I'll have to have a search around the area and see if there is anything similar that looks as exciting!

Slowly building a list Bookmark if it's any interest?

Jon

I too went straight onto the web to track this dark cache down. I think it's this one as the photo matched my memory of the BBC piece. It looked a bit better on TV than it sounds on the cache page, and it seems only to have lasted a couple of weeks :(

That does look about right, doesn't it? Didn't realise that it was one that had been archived for so long! :(