Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
geocat_

Geocaching for CEUs!

Got confirmation today that a proposal myself and another cacher submitted to the National Council for Therapeutic Recreation Certification has been accepted! We will be the first to present the use of geocaching as a therapeutic modality for patients in physical and psychiatric rehabilitation units at a national conference for recreational therapists. It will be one session at the American Therapeutic Recreation Association's annual conference this fall in Indianapolis and attendees will get continuing education credit. Just thought I'd share biggrin.gif

Got confirmation today that a proposal myself and another cacher submitted to the National Council for Therapeutic Recreation Certification has been accepted! We will be the first to present the use of geocaching as a therapeutic modality for patients in physical and psychiatric rehabilitation units at a national conference for recreational therapists. It will be one session at the American Therapeutic Recreation Association's annual conference this fall in Indianapolis and attendees will get continuing education credit. Just thought I'd share biggrin.gif

That is awesome! As a recreation therapist myself, and currently using geocaching as a part of my interventions, I would love to share some information with you on the subject. My primary clientele is autism. I have made a social story table for them to follow using pictures and a laminated social story for them to follow while out hunting. They are also learning about coordinates and their GPS location on the planet, which helps them to understand where they are within their communities, which in turn helps them to keep from getting lost and knowing their community at the same time. Got to love technology!

Hi,

Your way of exploitation of the potentials of geocaching concerning autism has attracted my attention. I have an idea regarding the usage of the local stories, fairytales of a Slovene region in geocaching aspect. It would be a great opportunity to develop the creativity of children (scout camp etc.).Besides it could be attractive for adults as well. I have been wondering about widening my idea in connection with handicapped people. There are the scenery is very beautiful and your idea could be used for holding outdoor activities in the middle of the nature for them. I have thought the stories chosen could be used for this kind of purposes (laminated stories and usage of pictures).

Could you detail your approach to me regarding your methodology (laminated stories and usage of pictures)?

Janos

newbie member

That is awesome! As a recreation therapist myself, and currently using geocaching as a part of my interventions, I would love to share some information with you on the subject. My primary clientele is autism. I have made a social story table for them to follow using pictures and a laminated social story for them to follow while out hunting. They are also learning about coordinates and their GPS location on the planet, which helps them to understand where they are within their communities, which in turn helps them to keep from getting lost and knowing their community at the same time. Got to love technology!