Geocaching Software for a PC

NZ1J

I've written a geocaching application for the PC. It loads a .gpx file (pocket Query). The intent is to hopefully provide all the cache information that is on geocaching.com, but access it quicker and add some new features. The software displays GC#, name, lat, long, difficulty, terrain, distance, direction, brief description, hints, and the most recent log for five caches at a time. Clicking on a cache opens a more detailed description of that cache. Caches also can be viewed and selected from the built-in maps. For those who are not doing paperless caching, cache descriptions can be sent to a text file.

I live in Connecticut, so the maps only cover Connecticut. The rest of the features should work anywhere.

Like all software, this is a work in progress. I don't intend to ever charge for the software. I'm writing it as a hobby and I'd like to refine it more and make it available to anyone who wants it. For anyone who'd like to try it, send me an e-mail at NZ1J@yahoo.com

Because I'm interested in getting feedback about the software so that I can improve it, I'll make a version with a map that is local for anyone that wants it.

Dave Tipping, NZ1J

Just an FYI but there are plenty of great PC apps for Geocaching that help you manage your caches and load them to your units. Some are free but the best ones that also have maps cost some money. Here are the 2 more popular choices.

http://www.easygps.com/

http://www.gsak.net/

EasyGPS is free but doesn't have maps. While the full paid version (ExpertGPS $75)does have maps and has a 30 day free trial.

GSAK is the favorite of most caches.

Have a look at what both offer and see about integrating some of those features.