easyGPS

Graveseeker

This may be an old question but I couldn't find it so I'm asking it again. I downloaded easyGPS followed by 12 pages (300 caches) within 100 miles of my zip code (which then had to be hand edited into a single file since I could find no way to input multiple files - sure wish that was easier!?!) Anyway, the first thing I noticed was that ALL of the caches are listed (Type) as geocaches. No virtual caches icon_confused.gif No web cam caches icon_confused.gif No letterbox, multi or unknown caches icon_confused.gif Is there a reason that feature hasn't been activated yet icon_confused.gif I also noted that there are no elevations. I expect that's fairly new to GPSrs but I can visualize where it sure would be important information (like a cache placed half way up Halfdome in Yosemite Park icon_eek.gif)

Good Hunting! -- Shortstop

> The icon "geocache" is a generic

> classification. The current way

> EasyGPS works does NOT separate

> Traditional, Virtual, etc.

So I gather but one has to ask why? Clearly there is a field set up for Type in the database and at least some of the listings are classified:

This is a Regular cache.

This is a Virtual cache.

that easyGPS should be able to capture. It's disappointing that geocaching.com doesn't complete the classifications with web cam, multiple cache, letter box, etc. but easyGPS should at least grab and display what is there -- shouldn't it?

> By the way, Geobuddy will combine those

> multiple files into one.

Thanks, I'll take a look at it.

Good Hunting! -- Shortstop

The answer is that the download to Loc files (the old method) didn't download ALL of the cache information.

The newest downloadable version (GPX) contains a whole lot more information, and is XML format. It contains the cache type, description, terrain, difficulty, etc.

Check out the Geocaching.com forum - especially this thread and the programmer Clayjar. He's making the XML file sing!

Markwell

Chicago Geocaching