I will need som P.E.U.

After some delays and if nothing else goes wrong, tomorrow 15th Jun at 05:00am GMT+02:00 I will be heading towards ...

renclusa06maig.jpg

Oooooppps. To be honest, this one was taken on May 6th. The situation now is somehow better:

renclusa14jun.jpg

This is the first step of a 8/9h hike to the second higuest Pyreness peak, reputed to be the hardest hiking one, including a glacier and a 60º snowy wall. Ending at 3,308m (10,853ft)

The wall:

a46664ab-e5f4-4a37-b3a2-3345f4ea6783.jpg

I'm reasonably confident to reach the summit, but finding the cache there will be a diferent history. I will need tons of luck ... and all your Positive Energy will be appreciated!!!! :):)

Hidden 23th May 2005 ... never found. That will make a nice FTF! Or a nice DNF :rolleyes: !!!!

... to be continued (on Thursday).

Thoughts of a happy assents and descents are wafting your way to you and your climbing group. (If your answer to Mrs. B's question is no and you plan to go on your own, all positive energy is denied - don't go! :laughing: ) Hope the weather and your schedule allow you to look for the cache. Come back safe and tell us all about it. :) Have a great time! :D

And the best of luck from lil ol New Zealand. Have a lot of fun with your climbing mates. Finding the cache will be the icing on your cake. I wish I could come too but, alas, too old, too crippled and too far away.

Have I missed something here or is the Refuge bit the cache name?

I look forward with close to bated breath the next episode.

May the gods of mountaineering and geocaching go with you all,

Jim

And which cache would that be? The second highest peak of the Pyrenees is the Posets peak at 3,375 m, but there's no cache there. The Maladeta is at 3,308 m and does have a cache (plus a nearby Earthcache), both placed/listed in 2005, but neither unfound.

Well, everything about this cache seems to fit, other than the "never been found" part -- it has three finds listed.

Yes maladeta. The three finds are false, read them "not found, we threw a susbstitution, find"

And YeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaA we found it and i can prove the logbook was blank

Report in some hjours, we are returning home

Well, everything about this cache seems to fit, other than the "never been found" part -- it has three finds listed.

Yes maladeta. The three finds are false, read them "not found, we threw a susbstitution, find"

And YeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaA we found it and i can prove the logbook was blank

Report in some hjours, we are returning home

Congratulations! Hope you all are having a great time and we look forward to seeing more on your safe return.

Not false to me, seems more of a case of, "this cache hasn't been found in 4 years, the CO is not active, and it has been searched for many times without being found, for this reason I decided to replace the cache out the kindness of my heart for the CO, and of course I will sign my name."

Edited by Coldgears

Not false to me, seems more of a case of, "this cache hasn't been found in 4 years, the CO is not active, and it has been searched for many times without being found, for this reason I decided to replace the cache out the kindness of my heart for the CO, and of course I will sign my name."

However, given the fact the original cache has now been found, seems a legitimate FTF, and a great one! Congrats!

Just because it wasn't found doesn't mean it wasn't there. As proven by the fact that this team found the real cache. The other finds were false. Perhaps not malicious/etc., but definitely false.

First version. Tomorrow I will add an English one, but you can already see the pictures :)

I will not argue with anyone: nothing and nobody will change the fact that I made the FTF on this one.

It's false that "it has been searched for many times without being found"; there is only ONE honest DNF explaining there was too much snow to search for it. The others went there, didn't find it and throw a replacement. To me this is a DNF. Period.

THANKS to everybody for your energy, I'm sure it helped us to find it. WOW! what a day! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Edited by DeepButi

First version. Tomorrow I will add an English one, but you can already see the pictures :)

I will not argue with anyone: nothing and nobody will change the fact that I made the FTF on this one.

It's false that "it has been searched for many times without being found"; there is only ONE honest DNF explaining there was too much snow to search for it. The others went there, didn't find it and throw a replacement. To me this is a DNF. Period.

THANKS to everybody for your energy, I'm sure it helped us to find it. WOW! what a day! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Congrats on getting to the top and finding the cache. For what it's worth, I agree with you regarding the FTF. The only thing I wonder about is if you found the throw down cache that the previous visitors left.

Congrats on getting to the top and finding the cache. For what it's worth, I agree with you regarding the FTF. The only thing I wonder about is if you found the throw down cache that the previous visitors left.

Thanks.

No, I didn't even bother to look for it. I had with me the spoiler pictures of the substitution one and identified the place (very near to the real one), but I had no interest at all to find it. What for?

mmm .... or ... are you asking if I found the substitution one and not the original? No. 100% sure I found the original.

Edited to add: I was wrong, it's not the second higuest ... seems to be 6th or 7th ...

Edited by DeepButi

Thanks.

No, I didn't even bother to look for it. I had with me the spoiler pictures of the substitution one and identified the place (very near to the real one), but I had no interest at all to find it. What for?

mmm .... or ... are you asking if I found the substitution one and not the original? No. 100% sure I found the original.

Edited to add: I was wrong, it's not the second higuest ... seems to be 6th or 7th ...

No, I assumed that you found the original. If you would have found the replacement you would have seen three signatures in the log book. I realize that the Catalan - English translation web sites leave a lot to be desired but I didn't see anything specific in the three previous find logs that indicated that a replacement cache was hidden, but it was interesting that all three logs wrote that they had found (Trobat!) the cache.

I really didn't know much about the Pyranees before your posting (though I think I've seen them on my way to Barcelona from Montpellier) so in a way you've allowed us to discover a place due to the existence of a geocache.

BTW, I might have an opportunity to get FTF on a cache at the Summer Palace in Beijing next week. It had several DNFs before the CO checked on it and found it missing and then replaced the container last week and nobody has searched for it since. I'm scheduled to visit the Summer Palace next Thursday after three and a half days of meetings. However, I'll be with a group so I'm not sure I'll be able to get to spot where the cache is hidden. If I do get it, it'll be a FTF on a cache that's 6686 miles from home.

No, I assumed that you found the original. If you would have found the replacement you would have seen three signatures in the log book. I realize that the Catalan - English translation web sites leave a lot to be desired but I didn't see anything specific in the three previous find logs that indicated that a replacement cache was hidden, but it was interesting that all three logs wrote that they had found (Trobat!) the cache.

A dalt, la recerca ha estat infructuosa ja que hi ha blocs de pedres a tot arreu del punt zero, amb grans forats i milers d'amagatalls.

Finalment, com ja teníem previst, l'hem donat per perdut i l'hem reposat. Adjuntem fotos spoilers del lloc, que segurament no coincideix amb la posició original.

This translates to:

At the top, the search was unsuccesfull as there are big stones all around GZ, with big holes and thousands of hide places.

Finally, as we already expected, we assumed it's lost and we substituted it. We post spoiler pictures of the place, that probably doesn't match the original position.

The third log (Catalunya Team) is a virtual log done by a Team where Guanacos is a member, two 'real' people were there (Guanacos and Paine Team), and none of them found it.

Good luck with your search :)

Edited by DeepButi

As promised ...

Protected by an ice layer that I had to break with the piolet, it was there, waiting silently during 6 years and 23 days for someone to claim a legitim FTF!!!! Wow! Perfectly preserved, the logbook was not even wet.

After finding la Pica d'Estats on september 2010, I discovered no one ever found this one. I dream with it since then. For diferents reasons I had to delay it until today, the D day. Everything on our favour, a perfect weather and an experimented guide, Jordi, to whom I owe being able to do it in all security.

We started hiking at 05:10, first of all lots of stones, but once on the snowy part the way was, paradox, a lot more confortable. We used the standard aproach, as explained on the page and in all informations about it: a little bit before the Portillon SUperior, continue straightforward while the crowd going to Aneto turns left and leaves you alone. Only a man followed us. I know Aneto is higuer -the higuest!-, but maladeta is by far more beautifull. Shorter but harder.

We went to Rimaya corridor, more than 50º, securely fastened without space for improvisation. It's worthfull as the climb is heartbreaking. Hopefully there was still quite a bit of snow and we did it problemless.

At the top at 9:20 and then started the search. We were not very confident to be honest ... but coordinates were absolutely exact -or at least today GPS was on a good mood- and finally we yelled as crazy! Here heeeeere heeeeeeeeeeee it is, look at it! I could hardly believe it.

We used the same way down and being fastened proved to be correct. The one behind us felt down and only at his third attempt was able to safely stop with the piolet. It could have been really dangerous.

At 13:00 we reached the car ... what a day! I lack words. I hope pictures will show better than anything else what this day has been, something far beyond all my expectations.

dsc01960m.jpg

Thanks.