List your pointless Mission 9 APE protest here

Redfist

I stopped at N-1 caches so that when I went hunting for the Mission 9 APE cache on Father's day with my daughter, it could be a milestone.

I watched the drama unfold during the day as TBTB discussed the fate of Mission 9. Once they decided to archive it... I ran out and found a pointless micro to be my milestone. THERE, that is my lame protest. :laughing:

(BTW - no disrepect meant to the CO of the micro I just found. It just happened to be the closest to my house that I hadn't found yet. It's a perfectly fine hide)

I'm not protesting. I wish they'd kept the cache alive, but "that is life".

I think it's time a new promotion that tops the "Ape" caches gets unleashed. Though a tie-in with the "Hangover" movie franchise might not be the wisest decision. :P

I already asked the owner of the APE cache to not archive it today and volunteered to replace the container. Obviously they are trying to show no caches are sacred.

Personally I find it sad that Groundspeak, Jon, Jeremy, whoever archived this. People enjoyed getting this unique icon. People flew here for this one remaining relatively easy cache to get and they archive it because of one person who took it one time. I find it very sad they did this, and though I understand their stance that there are no sacred cows, I really disagree with their decision and am a bit disheartened they would do this...

Especially when folks wanted to help replace it and keep it. Its not like its a LPC at a Walgreens.

Sad day.

I find it very sad they did this, and though I understand their stance that there are no sacred cows, I really disagree with their decision and am a bit disheartened they would do this...

The problem is not with this sacred cow. It was the decision to bury the other sacred cows instead of sending them to the taxidermist to be re-skinned and put back out for display. (and finding)

And you cannot get a Locationless icon either, unless you got one before they were archived. The point is that if they allowed this one to be reset, they'd have to allow all of the other APE caches to be reset. (I only missed the one in Central Park by a short time.) Yes. I took a special vacation to Maryland for Crab Creek. (Well worth the trip.) But, the long standing rule is once it's gone, it's gone. Oh, well. It's gone.

And you cannot get a Locationless icon either, unless you got one before they were archived. The point is that if they allowed this one to be reset, they'd have to allow all of the other APE caches to be reset. (I only missed the one in Central Park by a short time.) Yes. I took a special vacation to Maryland for Crab Creek. (Well worth the trip.) But, the long standing rule is once it's gone, it's gone. Oh, well. It's gone.

As near as I can tell, the last APE cache to go before this one was archived at least five years ago. That's almost half Geocaching's lifetime! How many things have been changed or altered since then? Organizations and their members acquire (and usually require) some sense of history as they mature. Elements of a community's past gain some measure of respect if they survive the hurly-burly of the early years. The Liberty Bell could have been melted down for armament during the War of 1812 or suffered some other fate but it survived to become an icon even though you cannot use it for its original purpose (the crack, you know) In this technological sport, the last two APE caches had achieved iconic (no pun intended) status. Cachers came from the world 'round to find it. To archive this smacks of "a foolish consistency"

On a different note, in my neck of the woods (literally, woods) we don't roll over for cache maggots. We keep marching containers back out there until they tire of their childish behavior.

Wait, if the ape cache is gone, what happens with the triad?

The only real choice is that the triad is dead too...

...or that the triangle has expanded and now extends to Brasil. (That's how they spell it, so don't jump on MY back.)

That's how Brazilians spell it (pardon the z).

It would become a biad. Or is that a diad?

Edit: It's dyad.

Edited by dfx

In my note on the cache page I suggested calling it the Deuce, oops!

Well, as long as it doesn't become a monad... :P

:lol:

Probably should be a monad, they moved the cache at HQ a couple times. Time to archive it.

Perhaps I just have a dark sense of humor...but I can't help but feel that trying to keep the Ape caches going would be more meaningful if they had been tied to...you know...a GOOD movie! O.K.--there, I said it. I've always found it humorous that these famous caches were tied to a lame remake. The caches are iconic, but what they were tied to sure wasn't! If only they'd been tied to something that was iconic in and of itself. If the others were archived without the original container, then this one should go the same way. I basically joined too late for an ape icon and a locationless icon--and I'm fine with that. The sport evolves, it has its own history, and the Mission 9 cache is now history. At least there's still one out there!

Well, when we first heard about the stolen cache we didn't think it was that big of a deal (they'd replaced the lid twice last year, I thought for sure they would replace the cache too). Being a bit of a noob still, I didn't realize the history of archiving APE caches if the original container wasn't in place. As sad as I am (we were planning on attending the Going APE... All Over Again event this summer and walking through the tunnel), I am intrigued by the recent posts on that same page that something is in the works...

Log Date: 6/13/2011

Actually, it's still breathing.... Sadly, the APE cache was archived today, as noted on its page. However, we are working with Groundspeak on options that may prove appealing (or not), so stay tuned to this space for an event update in the next couple days.

I think we'll continue to plan on heading up there that weekend and see what they come up with. While I am sad that we won't ever get a chance to do that historic cache now (and kind of kicking myself for not doing it when we could)... I am optimistically looking forward to see what comes next. In fact, the more I think about it... I'm actually kind of excited...

Edited by thecaswellfamily

While I'm glad we found it before it vanished, but it wasn't the most impressive find ever without the tunnel. Sad I never got to do the tunnell but I can still go back and get Iron Horse and visit the location. Meanwhile, the one in Brazil looks like a big bad mama jama of a find.

Anyway, they are about to put out a new APE movie. Might not be out of question to do another 10 hides?

I call dibs on the TX one! I have a good location I've been eyeing. I was planning on doing a large Night Cache with a friend there but... why not? :anibad:

Edited by d+n.s

Anyway, they are about to put out a new APE movie. Might not be out of question to do another 10 hides?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1318514/faq#.2.1.7

It is completely unrelated to the 2001 remake, but I supposed Groundspeak could attempt to work something out if they wanted to.

I don't see why it would matter if they were related or not, the 2001 film was complete junk. I imagine that the important thing is that they are both 20th Century Fox films and the timing would be right/convenient. Groundspeak was approached about the original APE cache promotion. I assume this time they will have to be the ones doing the approaching, but I think it might be a great time to do it.

However, I imagine something less bold would be more likely.

We should just look toward the future.

Edited by d+n.s