Disappointed in Groundspeak

So I start a thread called "Disappointed in Groundspeak" and catch a raft of crap for it, yet others are posting about their disappointment in Groundspeak, as well, for other reasons. Are we not all allowed to express our opinions?

You have to admit that this post is disingenous. Not only did you have a title, but you had a sub title. You then talked about 2 specific reasons why you were disappointed. It is within THAT context that people have been responding to you.

Frankly, Facebook integration seems rather immaterial at your level of usage...it isn't exactly a lifechanger.

Geocaching itself is rather immaterial. Doesn't mean we can't suggest improvements.

Okay. How does this improve Geocaching?

All these people saying Facebook integration is harmful are just speculating. It's their opinion. Whereas I think implementing newer features is an improvement.

Some would disagree that implementing the beta maps for PQ preview is not in the improvement column. Some would disagree that the fixed width display, even if it improves IE, is not an improvement.

You want new features? How about a functional API? Been asking for that for years. How about a way to copy bookmarks? Been asking for that for years. How about getting the beta maps straighten out and with the functionality the old maps had? How about a nano size for a cache? that request has been around for a while now.

There are many feature requests that *improve* geocaching and geocaching.com that have been asked for and that we are still patiently waiting for. Having a facebook button does nothing to improve *geocaching* or the experience on this site. How about we get the lackeys to concentrate on providing the features that we have been asking for years instead of wasting time on facebook and twitter?

So I start a thread called "Disappointed in Groundspeak" and catch a raft of crap for it, yet others are posting about their disappointment in Groundspeak, as well, for other reasons. Are we not all allowed to express our opinions?

I just did, but my opinion did not conform to your opinion. Tough nuggets.

Did I disagree with your desire for a functional API, to copy bookmarks, to fix the beta maps, or a nano cache size?

In a way it's funny how this thread has turned. A lot of people in here are saying having geocaching posts on Facebook would turn people off to the hobby. But what's turning me off to it is the belligerent behavior of the denizens here. Congrats, people - you're doing what you feared Facebook integration would do!

Frankly, Facebook integration seems rather immaterial at your level of usage...it isn't exactly a lifechanger.

Geocaching itself is rather immaterial. Doesn't mean we can't suggest improvements.

Okay. How does this improve Geocaching?

All these people saying Facebook integration is harmful are just speculating. It's their opinion. Whereas I think implementing newer features is an improvement.

An improvement to Geocaching how? Explain to me how being able to tell all my FB friends that I found cache X makes caching better for me. Explain how it makes caching better for you. How is this an improvement to Geocaching.

So far you've only been able to express how this is an improvement to your social networking- by shortening the steps required to post on Facebook that you have, indeedy-doodley, found another cache.

Why do I have to keep repeating myself? Are my posts being deleted, or are people forgetting what they read? As I've said previously, it can be a way to meet up with friends who are also caching, it can be a way to meet new cachers in the area, it can be a way to connect with distant caching friends ("hey, I found that one last summer when I was there!")

The possibilities are pretty wide open. The negatives are "I wouldn't use it so no one else should."

Got a telephone? Got email?

Here's an example of how my facebook friends and myself integrate our geocaching experiences onto facebook:

4b1107f1-dfe5-4855-b994-e139a2210d75.jpg

It's very easy to link details of specific caches or logs which are memorable in some way. We don't abuse the facebook Newsfeed by broadcasting every Find but selectively we mention experiences that friends are likely to be interested in.

For me, that's sufficient "integration".

It seems that for others, it's not.

MrsB

You're kidding, right? No one can be this obtuse.

i think YOU are kidding and are obtuse....can't people get their head around the fact that not everything revolves around facebook and social networking sites?

want to meet other geocachers? go to events

Edited by t4e

No - that is my thought as well. I actually manage to stay in touch via phone, email and IM (separate programs - not tied together)

I Goto events to meet Geocachers. If I want to know if my friends are Geocachers - I will actually ask them. Not plaster their walls with it.

In a way it's funny how this thread has turned. A lot of people in here are saying having geocaching posts on Facebook would turn people off to the hobby. But what's turning me off to it is the belligerent behavior of the denizens here. Congrats, people - you're doing what you feared Facebook integration would do!

You realize you're no better in this thread? I think you've successfully ignored every point that people have made against facebook integration because you want it yourself. If you're going to complain this much while people are giving honest opinions and well thought out responses, you might as well let it die. I've yet to see you back up what you want with well thought out ideas. You want to broadcast that you're geocaching; that's it. That's apparently all you want. You say you'd like to hook up with people that are out geocaching, but here's a thought: phone calls. People have cell phones. I imagine that not everyone has an ipad (or smartphone) out in the woods with them to check their/your status while they're out caching. I'm pretty sure cachers are more concerned about the experience and the hike (or drive), and facebook would be... well, useless.

Your idea sounds like it would be reasonable at times, but the situations you keep presenting (I think you've presented two, possibly three) just don't seem... realistic.

I could go into facebook's history of tracking its users as they travel through cyberspace without their permission/consent through cookies both on fb and through the buttons posted, but I won't get into that. People have probably beaten that (and this topic) into the ground before.

i think YOU are kidding and are obtuse....can't people get their head around the fact that not everything revolves around facebook and social networking sites?

Hold on a sec while I do a little stalking... (waiting, waiting waiting)

OK, got it. The OP has not attended any geocaching events yet, so obviously he wasn't aware of the social nature of such a get-together.

I get it now. You all are playing the "ignore logic" game so many children play on the Internet. Repeat it over and over enough and people believe it. I have stated my case too many times as it is. You can go back and review until you understand it. The counter argument of "because I don't want to" doesn't hold water. And implying someone should call hundreds of their friends every time the go cacheing is ludicrous. I'll just go back to my other forums with adults. Thanks for the few of you who are intelligent enough to have a discourse with, however.

I get it now. You all are playing the "ignore logic" game so many children play on the Internet. Repeat it over and over enough and people believe it. I have stated my case too many times as it is. You can go back and review until you understand it. The counter argument of "because I don't want to" doesn't hold water. And implying someone should call hundreds of their friends every time the go cacheing is ludicrous. I'll just go back to my other forums with adults. Thanks for the few of you who are intelligent enough to have a discourse with, however.

For the record, calling "hundreds of their friends every time the go cacheing" seems a bit excessive. If you want that many people to cache with you, maybe you should try to organize (or attend) an event.

You're still not presenting any reasonable (logical) opinions and ideas. Think it over a bit before you try to make a case about something that the community has implemented before and found to be an ineffective tool, please.

OK, got it. The OP has not attended any geocaching events yet, so obviously he wasn't aware of the social nature of such a get-together.

Yeah, this seems like a warm bunch! Actually, elsewhere I've been a member of another forum for over 9 years and have been to several gatherings and met hundreds of other members. So I know what a tight knit group online communities can create.

Yeah, this seems like a warm bunch! Actually, elsewhere I've been a member of another forum for over 9 years and have been to several gatherings and met hundreds of other members. So I know what a tight knit group online communities can create.

You didn't exactly start this thread with warm fuzzies. You set the tone for your thread.

The post of mine that you quoted may be a bit sarcastic, but my point is a very valid one. If you want more social contact with your fellow cachers, go to an event. Meet some of them. Go caching with them. Call them, or shoot them an email and say, "Hey, I'm going caching this weekend... wanna join me?" It works. It really does.

Well you certainly chose a good way to get the kind of response you got. While I been suspended for using it before, I'll risk saying that these forums are full of "brown noses" who think that Groundspeak does no wrong. Saying you're disappointed in Groundspeak is a sure fire way to get people to disagree with you.

This is one reason Groundspeak started the feedback site. It gives you the opportunity to simply state your suggestions for the website/apps without commenting on your disappointment with Groundspeak; and while it doesn't stop the naysayers and Facebook denigrators completely, the discussion capability there is limited so it doesn't tend to spiral out of control as it does here.

Most of the people in the forums are old time geocachers. The see geocaching as an activity they do some of the time that they don't have to share with their friends. If they want to socialize with other geocachers, they do so at events. It is certainly difficult for many people (even for many Facebook users) to understand the need of sharing everything you do on Facebook. It would seem enough to post in your status that you are going geocaching. Telling everyone about each cache you find at the time you find it seems like overkill.

As it turns out, there is already a way to share your finds using Twitter. I'm sure there is a way to share your Twitter feed on your Facebook page.

The forums represent only a small portion of the Geocaching community. They can be very hard on newbies, especially those asking for Facebook features, which while important to you, are not very important to many who spend time in the forums.

Suggestions to Groundspeak for new features in the iPhone Apps are better handled in the Feedback forums. If you wish to debate the advantages/disadvantages of social network integration than this is the appropriate place but be prepared for a debate.

Well you certainly chose a good way to get the kind of response you got. While I been suspended for using it before, I'll risk saying that these forums are full of "brown noses" who think that Groundspeak does no wrong. Saying you're disappointed in Groundspeak is a sure fire way to get people to disagree with you.

This is one reason Groundspeak started the feedback site. It gives you the opportunity to simply state your suggestions for the website/apps without commenting on your disappointment with Groundspeak; and while it doesn't stop the naysayers and Facebook denigrators completely, the discussion capability there is limited so it doesn't tend to spiral out of control as it does here.

Most of the people in the forums are old time geocachers. The see geocaching as an activity they do some of the time that they don't have to share with their friends. If they want to socialize with other geocachers, they do so at events. It is certainly difficult for many people (even for many Facebook users) to understand the need of sharing everything you do on Facebook. It would seem enough to post in your status that you are going geocaching. Telling everyone about each cache you find at the time you find it seems like overkill.

As it turns out, there is already a way to share your finds using Twitter. I'm sure there is a way to share your Twitter feed on your Facebook page.

The forums represent only a small portion of the Geocaching community. They can be very hard on newbies, especially those asking for Facebook features, which while important to you, are not very important to many who spend time in the forums.

Suggestions to Groundspeak for new features in the iPhone Apps are better handled in the Feedback forums. If you wish to debate the advantages/disadvantages of social network integration than this is the appropriate place but be prepared for a debate.

I wholeheartedly agree with your opening sentence, however, I don't think there was a single response to the OP that was based on "brown nosing", and as one of the responders to this thread, I sort of resent the implications, Toz.

The OP came on with snarling teeth towards Groundspeak, but as soon as anybody posted a dissenting opinion, that same snarling was turned toward them, telling them that they are backwards, can't keep up with the times, etc.. He didn't want to listen... he just wanted to rant about how he isn't getting what he wanted, and how he isn't going to play the game anymore because of it.

I'm also confused. Do you want the website or the app to have this feature?

And seriously most programers don't like being told that everything they do is 'easy'.

Are you asking me or knowschad?

If me, as I stated quite clearly, I am hoping for an option in the geocaching app - not on the web site. And I never said programming is easy. I said "a simple checkbox" in the app. Simple meaning something inconsequential for the user to operate. Not something complicated like copying and pasting, which on a device (phone or tablet) is cumbersome.

Seems like you could have done a WHOLE LOT of copying and pasting instead of ranting on in here.

If your find is REALLY that impressive, you WILL copy/paste.

Found a skirtlifter at the strip-mall, who cares?

Facebook integration is not the be all, end all of website development...nor even smartphone/smartpad (or whatever you call them) development.

I'm not a Facebooker, but the wife is. She says she would block your posts in a heartbeat.

Why do I have to keep repeating myself? Are my posts being deleted, or are people forgetting what they read? As I've said previously, it can be a way to meet up with friends who are also caching, it can be a way to meet new cachers in the area, it can be a way to connect with distant caching friends ("hey, I found that one last summer when I was there!")

The possibilities are pretty wide open. The negatives are "I wouldn't use it so no one else should."

I think your kidding yourself that after the first dozen or so of the "Bob Found Cache X" auto-posts to Facebook anybody is actually reading those posts or using them for a spring board to any real conversation. And again, what you describe is an improvement to your social networking, not to your geocaching.

...but if the iPad app is different, then me buying the iPhone version would be a waste of money.

It's $10. Is that gonna break you? For the record, the current app is not a "iPhone" app, as you keep claiming. Rather, it is an app that happens to be compatible with an iPhone. It is also compatible with an iPod Touch. It is also compatible with an iPad. There is no need for a separate app. It resides on the iPhone side of the list because, when it was created, there were no iPads. Now that iPads exist, Apple recognises that the overwhelming majority of customers who would purchase this app will be installing it on a phone, not an iPad. Thus, it will remain listed under iPhone apps.

09557633-2bf4-41cf-afe2-3d936679e5fa.jpg

If you want to see how well it works, find someone who has it on their phone and test drive it.

I've run mine side by side with my friend's iPhones, and it is identical, other than my screen being bigger.

I should qualify that I do not usually use my iPad for caching. Lugging a delicate, $850 device around in a swamp seems like a recipe for disaster.

Edited by Clan Riffster
As I've said previously, it can be a way to meet up with friends who are also caching, it can be a way to meet new cachers in the area, it can be a way to connect with distant caching friends ("hey, I found that one last summer when I was there!")

Why can't you just post on your wall that you're going out caching and anyone that wants to come along is invited? How will posting your finds accomplish more than a mass invite on your wall?

I also don't see how this will help meet new cachers...are these new cachers on your friend list? All these finds that you post, how will they see them?

Let's say this would come to fruition. Honestly, how long do you think it would take friends to tire of the constant spam and ignore it, just like when your friends posts every single crop they harvest on Farmville?

But this thread brings to mind a saying I heard once.

"Arguing on the internet is like competing in the Special Olympics. Even if you win, you're still retarded."

Just because you hear something doesn't mean it bears repeating. Disgusting is all I have to say to this attempt at an argument. :mad:

OMG! I AGREED WITH YOU!! :lol:

Which proves my point.

...but if the iPad app is different, then me buying the iPhone version would be a waste of money.

It's $10. Is that gonna break you? For the record, the current app is not a "iPhone" app, as you keep claiming. Rather, it is an app that happens to be compatible with an iPhone. It is also compatible with an iPod Touch. It is also compatible with an iPad. There is no need for a separate app. It resides on the iPhone side of the list because, when it was created, there were no iPads. Now that iPads exist, Apple recognises that the overwhelming majority of customers who would purchase this app will be installing it on a phone, not an iPad. Thus, it will remain listed under iPhone apps.

09557633-2bf4-41cf-afe2-3d936679e5fa.jpg

If you want to see how well it works, find someone who has it on their phone and test drive it.

I've run mine side by side with my friend's iPhones, and it is identical, other than my screen being bigger.

I should qualify that I do not usually use my iPad for caching. Lugging a delicate, $850 device around in a swamp seems like a recipe for disaster.

I guess some people don't realize how iPad apps can differ from iPhone versions. The screen layout and higher resolution mean many more options are available. One, as mentioned previously, would be landscape mode.

Dude. Really? You don't want to spend $10 on an app that works perfectly, because you fear a future version, made specifically for an iPad, might have some kinks that need airing out? Really? That's... uh... pretty... (trying to find a term that won't get me banned from the forums) Since English fails to convey the right tone and timbre for such an attitude, allow me to switch to something you may be more comfortable with, given the nature of this discussion: "O! M! G!" :rolleyes:

Dude. Really? You don't want to spend $10 on an app that works perfectly, because you fear a future version, made specifically for an iPad, might have some kinks that need airing out? Really? That's... uh... pretty... (trying to find a term that won't get me banned from the forums) Since English fails to convey the right tone and timbre for such an attitude, allow me to switch to something you may be more comfortable with, given the nature of this discussion: "O! M! G!" :rolleyes:

I would actually buy it today if they said there will never be an iPad version. Do you like paying twice for things?

There is a free version of the Geocaching App available. It's Introduction to Geocaching and offers limited features. If you want to see how it looks on your Ipad, why not try that one?

I've tried it and it is nothing like the actual geocaching app. The free trial is Microsoft BOB to geocaching's Windows.

I would actually buy it today if they said there will never be an iPad version. Do you like paying twice for things?

If they developed an iPad only version, I probably would not buy it, as the current version works perfectly. If, by some strange happenstance, the developers did convince me to purchase it, I would treat the transaction like any other app purchase: You don't know what you're gonna get till you hit the "Download" button. If the hypothetical iPad only version proved to be a stinker, I would consider the $10 an investment in naivete.

It's $10...

If I had to donate a kidney to buy it, this conversation might make sense. <_<:unsure::huh:

You can meet up with friends who are caching with or without Facebook integration. Actually, without Facebook at all. If you feel you must post on Facebook, then go there and post away. To have everything you post here be copied over there seems a bit much though. If you find one cache a week it might not be so bad. I've found about 500 so far this year and we aren't quite halfway through. I know several people who find a lot more than that. Can you imagine getting status updates from 50 geocaching friends who each find a cache a day? I think that would make geocaching a very hated thing in the Facebook world.

According to one poster upthread I don't cache enough, so it shouldn't be a problem.

If I follow your logic, that 'poster' (which you called a 'stalker' earlier) is me. My point was that you grab two caches a month and facebook integration saves you all of about 2 minutes of month. It seems a bit overblown, to put it mildly, to get so upset over something that has such little impact on your life. Same can be said about an iPad version of the Groundspeak app.

Regarding the Geocaching app...my theory, based on nothing but hope, is that the new database structure is a first step in allowing moving cache maps in a future app, ala Zillow. (The old database wasn't conducive to this feature.) If that is the case, then Groundspeak would be foolish to rebuild an app for the iPad when those resources could go toward developing the new version of the app.

If if my hope (pipe dream) isn't true, Groundspeak is making major changes coming such as an additional size option, and the addition of favorites in the PQ's. The official app will need to be adjusted for the new features, so development is continuing, but we won't see the results until August (based on the current announced schedule).

FWIW, based on your comments and usage I don't think you benefit much from a Premium membership or a paid app.

I think the spamming Spaniard makes this thread complete.

And yet you still want spam on Facebook. Go figure.

I don't think you know what Facebook or spam is.

Noun

spam (countable and uncountable; plural spams)

1. (uncountable, computing, Internet) A collection of unsolicited bulk electronic messages. I get far too much spam.
  2. (uncountable, computing, Internet) Any undesired electronic content automatically generated for commercial purposes.
  3. (countable, rare, computing, Internet) An unsolicited electronic message sent in bulk, usually by email or newsgroups. I received 58 spams yesterday.
  4. Alternative form of SPAM.

If a person posts "found cache X" on Spambook for every cache they find, then find a large number of caches in a short time, and each of those messages gets sent to their 3000 "friends" who have never asked for it (unsolicited), I'd say it meets the above criteria (esp #1 and #3) quite well.

Edited by dfx

I think the spamming Spaniard makes this thread complete.

And yet you still want spam on Facebook. Go figure.

I don't think you know what Facebook or spam is.

Noun

spam (countable and uncountable; plural spams)

1. (uncountable, computing, Internet) A collection of unsolicited bulk electronic messages. I get far too much spam.
  2. (uncountable, computing, Internet) Any undesired electronic content automatically generated for commercial purposes.
  3. (countable, rare, computing, Internet) An unsolicited electronic message sent in bulk, usually by email or newsgroups. I received 58 spams yesterday.
  4. Alternative form of SPAM.

If a person posts "found cache X" on Spambook for every cache they find, then find a large number of caches in a short time, and each of those messages gets sent to their 3000 "friends" who have never asked for it (unsolicited), I'd say it meets the above criteria (esp #1 and #3) quite well.

Exactly. Many people have blocked various Zynga applications on Facebook because of the amount of pointless messages get sent. Zynga now has a bad reputation in the Facebook community for spamming. I'd hate to add Groundspeak to that list of well known spammers.

**IF** however, there was a way that it was much more controlled (ie: max notifications of 1/day "for that special cache"), I'd be more inclined to favor the request. I don't want to see spam from my friends (or worse yet, have my friends see spam from their other friends thus spoiling the rep of geocaching) about stops 237-298 on some power trail.

When I think Facebook and SPAM - Zynga instantly pops to mind (I do play a Zynga game but do not post from it). I would be dismayed if my friends thought "oh geocaching - that's the spam game on Facebook right?" I'd rather them either hear good things or not know about it at all.

It seems people are speaking too emotionally about this. We get it, not everyone likes Facebook. The funny thing is, I'm not really a huge proponent of it. I merely asked for one feature and out came the pitchforks.

But Facebook posts do not follow any definition of spam.

It is not unsolicited in the way defined in point #1. If Groundspeak were to implement this feature, none of you here would receive notices from me, as we're not Facebook friends (I can hear you all sighing in relief). It would only go to people who've alread allowed communication from me, thus it's not unsolicited.

As for point #2, Facebook posts are not content generated for commercial purposes. Notifying my friends of a cache find doesn't sell anything to anyone.

Facebook posts are not in bulk in the way point #3 seems to define it. From what I know of the history of spam, automated messages are sent out to lists of random email addresses. Posting a message to a small set of friends doesn't fit that criteria in my mind.

And people keep trying to inflate numbers to make their opinions valid. I'm not finding 100 caches a day and sending them out to 3000 people.

It seems people are speaking too emotionally about this. We get it, not everyone likes Facebook. The funny thing is, I'm not really a huge proponent of it. I merely asked for one feature and out came the pitchforks.

But Facebook posts do not follow any definition of spam.

It is not unsolicited in the way defined in point #1. If Groundspeak were to implement this feature, none of you here would receive notices from me, as we're not Facebook friends (I can hear you all sighing in relief). It would only go to people who've alread allowed communication from me, thus it's not unsolicited.

As for point #2, Facebook posts are not content generated for commercial purposes. Notifying my friends of a cache find doesn't sell anything to anyone.

Facebook posts are not in bulk in the way point #3 seems to define it. From what I know of the history of spam, automated messages are sent out to lists of random email addresses. Posting a message to a small set of friends doesn't fit that criteria in my mind.

And people keep trying to inflate numbers to make their opinions valid. I'm not finding 100 caches a day and sending them out to 3000 people.

There are many who would disagree with you about point #1. Although you've intentionally friended someone on facebook - that could have been so you could have meaningful communication with them. See their status updates about what's new in their life, see pictures, share your own stories, etc.

When you start getting a flood of Mafia Wars updates or YoVille or Farmville, etc. saying that you need virtual tea cups or grain or something equally inane, that begins to feel a whole lot like spam. Why? Because you likely didn't friend someone and say "please please PLEASE flood me with Mafia Wars updates!!!!" *Those* updates are considered spam EVEN THOUGH you've friended the person.

Facebook was smart and added the feature to block apps. Great news! However, people only block apps AFTER they've become annoyed by them. If the Groundspeak app which posted to facebook were written in a way to not hit that annoyance stage, great. Otherwise, there is too much risk of spam from people who are prolific cachers (even though you may not be).

Edited by Redfist

You're forgetting that Spambook is not primarily a communications platform. Its primary function is as a "social networking" platform. Adding someone as "friend" therefore does not automatically mean "I want to receive everything this user sends out", or rather, it shouldn't. On a social network platform, communications is just an added function, and the list of "friends" serves as an address book for it. Sending a message out to everybody in your address book thus is an unsolicited, bulk message = spam.

I block all the game stuff, too. But it doesn't annoy me that people play them because I don't see them. I'm really astounded at the notion that people hate the fact that someone does something even though it doesn't affect them.

All the Viagra emails I get, they all get sent to the Junk folder. I never see them. They're still spam though.

Edited by dfx

You're forgetting that Spambook is not primarily a communications platform. Its primary function is as a "social networking" platform. Adding someone as "friend" therefore does not automatically mean "I want to receive everything this user sends out", or rather, it shouldn't. On a social network platform, communications is just an added function, and the list of "friends" serves as an address book for it. Sending a message out to everybody in your address book thus is an unsolicited, bulk message = spam.

Calling it Spambook sort of nullifies your opinion on the matter.