Disappointed in Groundspeak

You've grabbed 11 caches in the last six months and Facebook integration is your primary concern?

Stalk much?

If you were to extrapolate a bit, one conclusion is that my caching has waned due to lack of innovation. But the real reason is a decline in my traveling and being more busy with making films.

Looking at somebody's profile is not stalking. That is public information.

I keep trying to look at stats today and the page doesn't load- looks like a server time out error.

Just happening to me?

Edited by MooseJawSpruce
Now that I have said that... it occurs to me that perhaps we are jumping to conclusions as to what exactly you mean by "Facebook integration". We did have a "Like This" cache link for a while that caused an uproar loud enough to be heard in the frog pond. But that may not be at all what you are thinking of... would you care to explain your idea of integration?

I thought I had several times already. But here is the definitive version:

My suggestion for Facebook integration would mean a checkbox in the geocaching app. What this would do is post a link to your Facebook page when you find a cache. Something along the lines of "I just found geocache Pirate's Revenge!" and a link to the cache page. When logging finds out in the field, it would be very difficult to do this. A simple checkbox would let people know what you're up to. I imagine it would lead to some people running into each other more often, much like checking in at the same park would.

Thus, there would be no integration on the site. A simple check box in the app. And an easy way to ignore it on Facebook if it so offends you.

You've grabbed 11 caches in the last six months and Facebook integration is your primary concern?

Stalk much?

If you were to extrapolate a bit, one conclusion is that my caching has waned due to lack of innovation. But the real reason is a decline in my traveling and being more busy with making films.

I keep trying to look at stats today and the page doesn't load- looks like a server time out error.

Just happening to me?

How was the Spring into Summer event? :P

There is a "Share This" add-on for Firefox. I use it regularly and with Geocaching.com. It posts links to an individual cache or to a forum topic such as this. The add-on works with all web sites so it's pretty handy.. So there, there is the social network integration.

Edited by R4Ltony

Stalk much?

Just happening to me?

How was the Spring into Summer event? :P

People showed up!!! Actually lots of people showed up- around 30. All the Trackables got picked up.

OK, I "kept reading". Seems to me you want some sort of recognition every time you log a cache. Alright, Congrats for every cache you've found.

"IndyJones1023" found ******cache.. "Like this".

Do you need recognition for a find? Or is this a way of sharing the game of Geocaching? Perhaps Groundspeak has the app integration you want forth coming, maybe not. As you can see this is one heck of a topic that causes peoples blood pressure to rise. I don't really care either way. I was trying to add an option to share, so what if it doesn't work with the IPhone or Ipad? I don't use a smart phone to geocache, I use a GPSr and a real compass.

More with the "I don't do it that way so it shouldn't be offered" attitude. Wow. If only some of you could read what you're writing without your blinders on.

Wow, if only we could make you understand that the sun does not rise and set with Facebook for many of us and we already see it way too often and we would hate to see it infiltrate this little world as well.

It's already been posted once, but perhaps we are not the only ones posting to this thread with blinders. Post it in the Feedback area. Actual Groundspeak lackeys are paid to watch that feature and respond to it. And if enough other cachers agree with your great ideas, they will vote them up. The general forums are not the correct place to suggest new features.

Now that I have said that... it occurs to me that perhaps we are jumping to conclusions as to what exactly you mean by "Facebook integration". We did have a "Like This" cache link for a while that caused an uproar loud enough to be heard in the frog pond. But that may not be at all what you are thinking of... would you care to explain your idea of integration?

My suggestion for Facebook integration would mean a checkbox in the geocaching app. What this would do is post a link to your Facebook page when you find a cache. Something along the lines of "I just found geocache Pirate's Revenge!" and a link to the cache page. When logging finds out in the field, it would be very difficult to do this. A simple checkbox would let people know what you're up to. I imagine it would lead to some people running into each other more often, much like checking in at the same park would.

Thus, there would be no integration on the site. A simple check box in the app. And an easy way to ignore it on Facebook if it so offends you.

So, you want to have my caches linked to on your Facebook page? ("my" being used in the general sense, not as "knowschad's caches")

So, you want to have my caches linked to on your Facebook page? ("my" being used in the general sense, not as "knowschad's caches")

I'm also confused. Do you want the website or the app to have this feature?

And seriously most programers don't like being told that everything they do is 'easy'.

Edited by MooseJawSpruce

I'm not following. Are you saying you don't want caches you've hidden to be promoted or found by others? Or are you asking if I want to be able to see the caches found by my Facebook friends?

And seriously most programers don't like being told that everything they do is 'easy'.

Are you asking me or knowschad?

If me, as I stated quite clearly, I am hoping for an option in the geocaching app - not on the web site. And I never said programming is easy. I said "a simple checkbox" in the app. Simple meaning something inconsequential for the user to operate. Not something complicated like copying and pasting, which on a device (phone or tablet) is cumbersome.

If me, as I stated quite clearly, I am hoping for an option in the geocaching app - not on the web site. And I never said programming is easy. I said "a simple checkbox" in the app. Simple meaning something inconsequential for the user to operate. Not something complicated like copying and pasting, which on a device (phone or tablet) is cumbersome.

Why would I be asking knowschad? :blink:

Hold on while I ask the programer across the room the feasability of what you want your 'simple checkbox' to do.

I'll wait for him to stop laughing.

Okay.

Nope not done laughing.

Right. He says he'll get back to me on that one. We can meet in a few days to look at the query string and then the action requirements needed.

Why would I be asking knowschad? :blink:

Hold on while I ask the programer across the room the feasability of what you want your 'simple checkbox' to do.

I'll wait for him to stop laughing.

Okay.

Nope not done laughing.

Right. He says he'll get back to me on that one. We can meet in a few days to look at the query string and then the action requirements needed.

Your outer quote was of knowschad, thus I asked for the clarification. Just go back and look and you'll see what I mean.

And are you being obtuse on purpose? Again, I never said programming is trivial. By "a simple checkbox" I mean a toggle for the user that when they log a cache via a device it either does or does not post to your Facebook page. I think your programmer friend is laughing at your inability to understand the sentiment.

I have posted in the Feedback forums after it was suggested in here. Are we not allowed to express opinions here, though? That's what everyone seems to be doing.

We are doing that. The problem is that every time somebody has posted an opinion counter to yours you've complained about the counter opinion. I think the real issue is that most of the people that don't want Facebook integration- in any form- don't see the value add and don't want the dev team to spend their time and resources on it. There are other things in the queue that have been there for literally years that we'd rather see.

I like my Facebook/Twitter and I like my Geocaching. I don't see how in any way imaginable that my geocaching benefits from me posting every single time I make a find. I can see how my geocaching could benefit from there being upgrades to the maps, an open API, and seeing additional information in the Pocket Queries.

In short, some people want upgrades to their caching experiance, you're looking for an upgrade to your social media experiance. I, and many others, want to see priorities placed on upgrades that directly affect Geocaching.

Edited by Castle Mischief

Seems like this is just a thread of people attacking each other. Fun fun.

The problem with facebook integration is that it tracks what you do and where you go. And people don't like that.

Also, no one likes people that post entry after entry of "I found this cache" and "I found that cache." You're spamming your friends, and potentially giving GC.com negative attention. When people block the app so that they can't see it, that's not giving GC.com positive publicity. It's not giving it any publicity because people are blocking it so that their dash (or whatever) isn't filled with crap.

As much as people like to believe so, programer's aren't gods. It takes more than a click and "turn this feature on!" to get the whole process going, and from the sounds of it, it was taken down before because of public outcry. All that work for nothing? I couldn't imagine wanting to go through the trial and error process of coding and redesigning some pages for something that's just going to be taken down anyway.

Save your friends the hassle and don't spam them. If you want to advertise geocaching, go on fb later and say "Hey, went geocaching today! Here're some pictures, and if anyone's interested, check it out!"

*edit - Also, agree completely with Castle Mischief

Edited by Reinecho

OK, once the checkbox is checked and you hit "send" (or whatever it is in the geocache app) what will appear on your Facebook page? What wording are you hoping to see?

OK, once the checkbox is checked and you hit "send" (or whatever it is in the geocache app) what will appear on your Facebook page? What wording are you hoping to see?

Or links (I think that is what made my programmer laugh).

Save your friends the hassle and don't spam them. If you want to advertise geocaching, go on fb later and say "Hey, went geocaching today! Here're some pictures, and if anyone's interested, check it out!"

Especially if you're going to do a power trail or in any other way start to get frequent finds. If I were a friend of yours on FB, I'd block the app and think "dadgum, geocaching is annoying" even though I should probably think "dadgum, my friend is annoying". The blame will be placed on geocaching.

I would guess that it would be much like a Foursquare or Gowalla check in. Just a little info blurb that you found the specific cache and a link to it. I think the benefit would be your fellow caching friends might be interested in finding it also. Or possibly if they're out caching that day as well you could sync up and cache together. Or meet new people while out and about.

Clearly this is an idea held in much disdain, though.

And why no Facebook integration? I can check into millions of restaurants and locations all over the word and have it post to my Facebook account, but not Geocaching? What better way to advertise (freely!) than have the thousands of members who cache post about it to all their friends on Facebook?

Annoying people rarely makes for effective advertising.

In short, some people want upgrades to their caching experiance, you're looking for an upgrade to your social media experiance. I, and many others, want to see priorities placed on upgrades that directly affect Geocaching.

Beautiful summary.

Can I use it from now on? I'll give you credit for it. :)

Edited by MooseJawSpruce

Beautiful summary.

Can I use it from now on? I'll give you credit for it. :)

facebook-like-button.jpg

The thing is...social media such as Facebook and Twitter WORK!

I bought the Groundspeak Geocaching App for my Droid ATRIX 4G and the Groundspeak app will only connect on occasion.

So I tried c:geo and it works like a charm, every time so far, and automatically posts my logs to Twitter - but while it says it posted them to Groundspeak, they don't show up in my profile.

Groundspeak is no longer a baby company that we're helping grow with our investment and patience... it's an over-ten-year-old mature business that should get it's products right.

If not then integrate with Twitter and Facebook and let them do the work.

Stalk much?

Deflect much?

I found your rather strong reaction to the lack of Facebook integration to be a bit odd. To better understand, I looked to see what about your caching would prompt that response. I was more puzzled after I looked as your two cache a month habit.

Since it takes less than a minute to post a link in Facebook, I'm a bit perplexed by the angst. A link would save you less than two minutes a month even if you posted every find. That is far less time than you've spent complaining about the lack of integration. It's probably less time than you spent writing your first post on the subject.

Frankly, Facebook integration seems rather immaterial at your level of usage...it isn't exactly a lifechanger.

I understand that a vocal group of people here don't like Facebook. But how does its integration harm you? You won't be forced to use it. You see it at the bottom of this page, right? How is that harming you?

I use my real name on Facebook but a handle here. Maybe I don't want everyone on geocaching.com to know my real name. By integrating, even a little, I lose that choice.

I understand that a vocal group of people here don't like Facebook. But how does its integration harm you? You won't be forced to use it. You see it at the bottom of this page, right? How is that harming you?

I use my real name on Facebook but a handle here. Maybe I don't want everyone on geocaching.com to know my real name. By integrating, even a little, I lose that choice.

You don't lose that choice at all. You simply don't need to use it.

The best I can do is repeat from "Social networking" thread of 10 Jun 2011

Just what part of N - O is it that a person does not understand? It has been the same in each thread relating to Fakebook. I suspect it will be the same when somebody post another Fakebook suggestion here (again).

Bolding added for this post on 13 Jun 2011

EDIT: For clarity, the highlight bolding was added, the statement was copied.

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

I am not into the whole facebook thing. One of the big reasons is that I don't want to know every time someone on my friends list changes the baby or farts in the tub. I sure as hell don't want to hear about it every time they find an LPC, guardrail, or unusual pile of sticks.I don't know why you would want to do that to your friends.

I can see the OP's point in that the option (key word there) in the app would be... OPTIONAL. Nothing would force you to use that option.

That being said, I'd much rather see them fix site performance and stability issues before fretting about social networking.

I also have a much more mild concern about the negative impact that excessive cache posting on FB would have on geocaching's reputation. EVEN IF I choose not to spam my friends, other people may spam my friends. When I then rarely speak to my friends about geocaching, they may have a pre-conceived notion about it caused by the spamming done by some inconsiderate people who 'shared' every find on a power trail.

But like anything... the fault isn't in the tool, it's in the person wielding the tool (who quite often is a tool themselves!).

Frankly, Facebook integration seems rather immaterial at your level of usage...it isn't exactly a lifechanger.

Geocaching itself is rather immaterial. Doesn't mean we can't suggest improvements.

Okay. How does this improve Geocaching?

All these people saying Facebook integration is harmful are just speculating. It's their opinion. Whereas I think implementing newer features is an improvement.

The thing is...social media such as Facebook and Twitter WORK!

I bought the Groundspeak Geocaching App for my Droid ATRIX 4G and the Groundspeak app will only connect on occasion.

So I tried c:geo and it works like a charm, every time so far, and automatically posts my logs to Twitter - but while it says it posted them to Groundspeak, they don't show up in my profile.

Groundspeak is no longer a baby company that we're helping grow with our investment and patience... it's an over-ten-year-old mature business that should get it's products right.

If not then integrate with Twitter and Facebook and let them do the work.

That's a problem with the official app. How does adding further Facebook integration fix connectivity problems? And that other app you mentioned probably doesn't work posting to Groundspeak because it's on the (unpublished and not publicly definitized) list of unapproved (banned) apps.

Geocaching itself is rather immaterial. Doesn't mean we can't suggest improvements.

All these people saying Facebook integration is harmful are just speculating. It's their opinion. Whereas I think implementing newer features is an improvement.

An improvement to Geocaching how? Explain to me how being able to tell all my FB friends that I found cache X makes caching better for me. Explain how it makes caching better for you. How is this an improvement to Geocaching.

So far you've only been able to express how this is an improvement to your social networking- by shortening the steps required to post on Facebook that you have, indeedy-doodley, found another cache.

An improvement to Geocaching how? Explain to me how being able to tell all my FB friends that I found cache X makes caching better for me. Explain how it makes caching better for you. How is this an improvement to Geocaching.

So far you've only been able to express how this is an improvement to your social networking- by shortening the steps required to post on Facebook that you have, indeedy-doodley, found another cache.

Why do I have to keep repeating myself? Are my posts being deleted, or are people forgetting what they read? As I've said previously, it can be a way to meet up with friends who are also caching, it can be a way to meet new cachers in the area, it can be a way to connect with distant caching friends ("hey, I found that one last summer when I was there!")

The possibilities are pretty wide open. The negatives are "I wouldn't use it so no one else should."

Some would disagree that implementing the beta maps for PQ preview is not in the improvement column. Some would disagree that the fixed width display, even if it improves IE, is not an improvement.

You want new features? How about a functional API? Been asking for that for years. How about a way to copy bookmarks? Been asking for that for years. How about getting the beta maps straighten out and with the functionality the old maps had? How about a nano size for a cache? that request has been around for a while now.

There are many feature requests that *improve* geocaching and geocaching.com that have been asked for and that we are still patiently waiting for. Having a facebook button does nothing to improve *geocaching* or the experience on this site. How about we get the lackeys to concentrate on providing the features that we have been asking for years instead of wasting time on facebook and twitter?

Some would disagree that implementing the beta maps for PQ preview is not in the improvement column. Some would disagree that the fixed width display, even if it improves IE, is not an improvement.

You want new features? How about a functional API? Been asking for that for years. How about a way to copy bookmarks? Been asking for that for years. How about getting the beta maps straighten out and with the functionality the old maps had? How about a nano size for a cache? that request has been around for a while now.

There are many feature requests that *improve* geocaching and geocaching.com that have been asked for and that we are still patiently waiting for. Having a facebook button does nothing to improve *geocaching* or the experience on this site. How about we get the lackeys to concentrate on providing the features that we have been asking for years instead of wasting time on facebook and twitter?

So I start a thread called "Disappointed in Groundspeak" and catch a raft of crap for it, yet others are posting about their disappointment in Groundspeak, as well, for other reasons. Are we not all allowed to express our opinions?

So I start a thread called "Disappointed in Groundspeak" and catch a raft of crap for it, yet others are posting about their disappointment in Groundspeak, as well, for other reasons. Are we not all allowed to express our opinions?

I just did, but my opinion did not conform to your opinion. Tough nuggets.