Disappointed in Groundspeak

It's apropos because we were discussing geocaching for kids ...

We are? I thought this was about lack of development for a dedicated iPad "app". Honestly I can't make the leap from "iPad" to "geocaching for kids". Unless you're implying that the main use of an iPad is as a toy for kids. I think I'd rather not comment on that idea. :anitongue::laughing:

It's apropos because we were discussing geocaching for kids ...

We are? I thought this was about lack of development for a dedicated iPad "app". Honestly I can't make the leap from "iPad" to "geocaching for kids". Unless you're implying that the main use of an iPad is as a toy for kids. I think I'd rather not comment on that idea. :anitongue::laughing:

Initially, yes - we were discussing an iPad app and Facebook integration. Have you heard of "threaddrift?" It's when tangential topics arise within a thread. Since I mentioned the teaching aspect and several other discussed it, it's now a part of this thread. Internet 101.

Have you heard of "threaddrift?" It's when tangential topics arise within a thread. Since I mentioned the teaching aspect and several other discussed it, it's now a part of this thread. Internet 101.

No I've never heard of that, at least not here. Threads tend to get locked pretty fast when that happens :ph34r:

I thought this was apropos to this thread, I saw it in my Facebook feed just now:

You're more than halfway there! Refer a friend before the end of the month and a dollar goes to help bring geocaching into the classroom. More information here:

http://blog.geocaching.com/2011/05/refer-a-friend/ - Thank you!

no apropos at all....its been in the last Newsletter

Yes, it's very apropos to this thread, actually.

no, it isn't...i don't need stinking FB to get news

Still I think that the Geocaching.com announcement is not appropos to the topic.

You gave the example of a teacher using an iPad to teach about Geocaching as a reason why there should be an iPad native app. While the comments about teaching geocaching to school age kids were off topic, there were some others that questioned if an iPad was the best tool for presenting geocaching to a group.

It's apropos because we were discussing geocaching for kids and the Facebook post is about geocaching for kids. See how they're related?

And I mentioned iPads being useful to teach caching due to the screen size. Are there other field devices with the geocaching app that have that large a screen size you could show to several people at once?

why would the kids need a big screen, they have good vision

the screen size of the iPad can be useful for those with failing eyesight, but for the zillionth time....iPad is not intended for geocaching unless you want to look like Moses when you go for one :lol:

I didn't know they were like that here. On my main forum threaddrift occurs all the time. Not severly, as in a thread will be started about the creepy actor who married a teen ager and it winds up talking about whether or not there's a god. But you know.

threaddrifting, threadhijacking, going offtopic, call it what you will it is normal on any other forum i am on and tolerated...not here, we 're not exactly "normal" are we?...we walk around like zombies starring at some device and following its directions :lol:

Edited by t4e

You make baby J33bu$ cry! Please.............. NO FREAKING FACEBOOK! I'm so freaking sick of the facebook frenzy. What the heck is wrong with people that they have to have crap like this?

Just say NO to social networking sites. Period.

Sooooooo

You're not keen on it then? :huh:

Oh, go on... Try it... you might like it.

I'll be your friend. :D

MrsB :P;)

Sooooooooooooo many people. Sooooooooooooo many "friends". Sheesh................ People have a zillion "friends" they've never met.

(Of course YOU would be a worthy friend, MrsB :wub: )

What's a curmudgeon to do?

I don't even do television. I read instead.

I may work in IT but I'm not owned by IT. I don't do facebook, myspace, twitter, etc. Nope, nope, nope.

What I think some people are concerned about is sharing on Facebook of every cache you find.

This caught my eye, and caused me to take a peek at what I like and dislike in my Facebook feed. As odd as it sounds, I have no problem with a friend posting a status to the effect of, "Hey guys, I just found Mission 9!". Yet the automated Twitter posts essentially saying the same thing irritated me to the point where I made them go away. Not sure why there is an apparent contradiction in my thought process.

I've had my iPad for over a year and there's been no update of the Geocaching app to an iPad version. And no word on if there will be one. Nor any indication as to whether or not buying the existing app will give you a free upgrade to an iPad version in the future. Why not make it a universal app?

And why no Facebook integration? I can check into millions of restaurants and locations all over the word and have it post to my Facebook account, but not Geocaching? What better way to advertise (freely!) than have the thousands of members who cache post about it to all their friends on Facebook?

My membership just lapsed for the year. I've been paying since 2006. Until Groundspeak catches up with the times, I see no reason to continue paying them when I'm not getting out of them what they're capable of. Quit coasting, guys, and get with the times! Please!

I don't have an iPad and I don't want Facebook integration.

Usually when there is no quote the post is referring to the one directly above. As a long time forum user, that's pretty standard knowledge.

Replies in this forum come quickly. I wouldn't assume that my post would appear directly below the one I'm replying to. It frequently happens that another poster types faster than me, and his post is interjected above mine.

Edit: And this is a perfect example! Thanks, masked dude, for proving my point!

Edited by GeoGeeBee

Usually when there is no quote the post is referring to the one directly above. As a long time forum user, that's pretty standard knowledge.

Replies in this forum come quickly. I wouldn't assume that my post would appear directly below the one I'm replying to. It frequently happens that another poster types faster than me, and his post is interjected above mine.

In which case you should quote it.

Yep, I'd say it's about time to put this thread out to pasture. mellow.gif

The local paper had three llamas for free in it last week. Maybe the thread can go join them in their new pasture.

I understand llamas spit. Confirm/deny?

Confirm, I've never been spit at. Apparently I"m too short to be a threat or something like that. I used to go on (and then lead) llama packing trips and never got spit on, but taller folks did.

Mick (one of the llamas) once pushed me into a ditch and then fell in after me. Lucky it was on the way out and he only had soft things in his pack, and he managed to step between my toes and not on my foot (I hike in Chacos most of the time).

Yep, I'd say it's about time to put this thread out to pasture. mellow.gif

The local paper had three llamas for free in it last week. Maybe the thread can go join them in their new pasture.

I understand llamas spit. Confirm/deny?

Yes, and the spitting is good for the pasture as well. Makes the grass grow.

In which case you should quote it.
So, everyone else should quote what they are replying to but you?
I think it's called IBTL.
Can you lock a llama?
I wonder if any llamas have ever spit on Flask's neighbor's cat?
You mane you haven't heard about flask's neighbors' llamas?!? :blink:

They don't like cats, but they are also Nazis!

nazillama.gif

Edited by Too Tall John
Where did I say that? This belligerence really needs to stop.
Sometimes people judge you on your actions as well as your words. You made a brief statement that, without the context of a quote, made little sense. Someone asked you who you were talking to. It was suggested that you should have quoted them because of the rapid-fire posts that happen here frequently, and you came out with "In which case you should quote it." So, you're telling others to quote, but don't yourself?

Hypocrisy. It fits this situation better than your use of belligerence.

Where did I say that? This belligerence really needs to stop.
Sometimes people judge you on your actions as well as your words. You made a brief statement that, without the context of a quote, made little sense. Someone asked you who you were talking to. It was suggested that you should have quoted them because of the rapid-fire posts that happen here frequently, and you came out with "In which case you should quote it." So, you're telling others to quote, but don't yourself?

Hypocrisy. It fits this situation better than your use of belligerence.

Incorrect. As I said ©, if someone gets a post in between yours and the one you're referring to, then you should quote it. With the established Internet forum protocol that I'm familiar, one doesn't need to quote if referring to the post directly above yours.

Incorrect.
That's your opinion, not fact and you should learn the difference. It would serve you well.

Maybe the way to do things on the net is my opinion, but not your incorrectness. I never said everyone should quote others except for me. You're trying to paint me in a bad light by misleading people. So please stop it.