Disappointed in Groundspeak

iPad is not intended for geocaching unless you want to look like Moses when you go for one

Somebody has got to put that on a T-shirt! :lol:

moseswithipad.jpg

Well, I suppose that at the first DNF, he would break it in half anyway..

But think about those 5 star scuba caches. Just part the water, and walk right up to it.

Have you heard of "threaddrift?" It's when tangential topics arise within a thread. Since I mentioned the teaching aspect and several other discussed it, it's now a part of this thread. Internet 101.

No I've never heard of that, at least not here. Threads tend to get locked pretty fast when that happens :ph34r:

Has anyone else got the feeling that the Forum Mod saw these comments and is watching this topic with an evil smile as it careers about wildly?

:lol:

MrsB

Sesame Street used to show a video of a girl in NY City strolling through the streets with her pet llama. The kid was taking the llama to have it's teeth cleaned. There was a song with it. The song was about "me and my llama going to the dentist".

Love this one.

This post followed with the signature: "Madness takes it's toll"

Have you heard of "threaddrift?" It's when tangential topics arise within a thread. Since I mentioned the teaching aspect and several other discussed it, it's now a part of this thread. Internet 101.

No I've never heard of that, at least not here. Threads tend to get locked pretty fast when that happens :ph34r:

Has anyone else got the feeling that the Forum Mod saw these comments and is watching this topic with an evil smile as it careers about wildly?

:lol:

MrsB

Or it could be that it's all on topic. If I had a friend on Facebook who occasionally updated their status and shared a few interesting things, I might think "Gee, Facebook is a pretty good way to keep in touch". But then that friend started playing Farmville all the time and I got a bunch of updates on what they were doing in the game, and when they weren't playing Farmville, they would tag me in every photo they looked at, and then they would start posting every geocache they found, and finally they would "like" every webpage that had a llama on it... Well, you see it gets annoying after a while.

My personal theory is that Groundspeak is very, very slow to lock a thread that appears to be critical of Groundspeak. You can see how that might look bad.

tl-logo.jpg

My theory is that they're slow to lock a thread where so many poster's are making fools of themselves. :blink:

My theory is that there aren't as many active mods as there used to be and lack of variety leads to stagnation. Also, here is a llama:

=llama.jpg

Just signing in to look to see if I can use my ipad with Wherigo. Thought that instead of starting at the beginning and reading 13 pages of chit chat, I decided to go directly to the last page to see what the final outcome was. Good to see this thread has been diverted to something that had nothing to do with ipads and Wherigo.

I decided to go directly to the last page

If you had read the first couple pages, you would have learned that the OP was just complaining to hear himself type. As an iPad owner, I can attest that both the Geocaching and Wherigo apps work perfectly. His continued whining after having his issues address is what drove the topic to the llama stage.

Just signing in to look to see if I can use my ipad with Wherigo. Thought that instead of starting at the beginning and reading 13 pages of chit chat, I decided to go directly to the last page to see what the final outcome was. Good to see this thread has been diverted to something that had nothing to do with ipads and Wherigo.

Well, if that's not reason to bump a dead thread, I don't know what is.

I feel that this is rude and inaccurate.

Sorry you feel that way. You started the thread by whining about Groundspeak not making an app specific for the iPad. It was pointed out repeatedly that the apps you were whining about were for both the iPhone and iPad, and that they worked perfectly. You continued to whine, citing such silliness as, "the iPad has a bigger screen so they should develop an app with more stuff on it". It was explained that expanding an already working app, just to add unnecessary carp to it, to satisfy one user, when the app reviews indicate that the majority of customers were very satisfied with the product, would be a waste of resources. You continued to whine.

Sounds pretty accurate to me... :unsure:

What, exactly, am I stifling? Has anyone so much as hinted that you should cease and desist all your incessant whining? No, they have not. You started ranting about the evils of Groundspeak, and folks addressed your rant. You continued ranting about the evils of Groundspeak, and folks addressed your new rant. You again continued ranting about the evils of Groundspeak and folks rolled their eyes.

That's quite different from telling you to stop whining. :rolleyes:

On a separate note, didn't you threaten to not renew your Premium Membership over this silliness? It appears you've had a change of heart.

Edited by Clan Riffster

What, exactly, am I stifling? Has anyone so much as hinted that you should cease and desist all your incessant whining? No, they have not. You started ranting about the evils of Groundspeak, and folks addressed your rant. You continued ranting about the evils of Groundspeak, and folks addressed your new rant. You again continued ranting about the evils of Groundspeak and folks rolled their eyes.

That's quite different from telling you to stop whining. :rolleyes:

I guess my memory is faulty. Please point out where I said Groundspeak was evil.

I said I was disappointed in the lack of development in a few areas. Since this thread's inception, I've purchased an Android phone. There are many geocaching apps available on that platform. So Groundspeak missed an opportunity to make money off me. In my opinion, I feel that's probably a bad business model, to stagnate to the point of being passed by. But if you're content with it, that's fine, too.

Don't forget those of us that would simply HATE to see any further facebook integration.

+1

I see thos "Check-Ins" now from other friends and those feeds get placed on ignore...the same would go with the Geocaching Feeds on Facebook...and I would venture I am not the only one...Game Feeds too...I place those on ignore as well...

I said I was disappointed in the lack of development in a few areas.

That's super.

How am I stifling you?

Mean spirited posts tend to drive people away. If you'll notice over the course of this thread, I went from upset at Groundspeak to defending myself to merely trying to correct misconceptions. Then after months of nothing I come back to see you twisting my words to say " he was just complaining to hear himself type." So now I'm back to correcting misconceptions. That's not true. I had sent several messages to Groundspeak over the months of my iPad ownership with no return communication. They really lack in PR skills as well as development skills. So I finally voiced my concerns here, publically.

Instead of being so beligerent, you could move on. You don't have to participate in a thread in which you clearly don't like.

You don't have to participate in a thread in which you clearly don't like.

Why would you assume I don't like this thread? Granted, your endless whining about the evils of Groundspeak has gotten a bit tedious, but other than that, it proved to be quite enlightening, both to myself and others. I've learned quite a bit during the course of this thread, which, presumably, is one of the primary purposes of discussion forums, eh? <_<

Getting back to your accusation of stifling...

Has my tone or timbre changed significantly during the course of this thread? I would say it has not. You appear to be hinting that my posts are "mean spirited" now. If we pretend that this is true, (it's not, but just for argument's sake, let's pretend it is), and we acknowledge that my tone and timbre have remained consistent, then it would seem that "mean spirited posts" don't drive you away, either then or now.

With this in mind, how am I stifling you?

I had sent several messages to Groundspeak over the months of my iPad ownership with no return communication. They really lack in PR skills as well as development skills. So I finally voiced my concerns here, publically.

I wanted to address this. It is true that Groundspeak has a ways to go to get our communication levels up to where they should be, and so I wanted to investigate the problems you report here concerning a lack of a response. Looking in our report tracking software I see no emails coming from your account or either of the two emails associated with it. Can you clarify when you sent in your support requests and to what email address?

It was in the iPad thread on the feedback site. Admins could post a response that was "sticky" and appeared at the top the of the thread. The response indicated that we had added the suggestion to our internal database for review, meaning that enough people had voted for it that we added it to the request backlog.

To be honest, it is not likely to happen, at least not from us. We have an exceedingly small team and it is a large endeavor to create an app enhanced for iPad when that market is still relatively small compared to the others in which we have invested. This is one reason we have put time into the API; with API access, a developer could produce their own geocaching app for whatever platform they desire.