Disappointed in Groundspeak

I had to put my cat to sleep a couple of weeks ago. :( He was 17 and had renal failure. He was such a sweet cat!

I'm so sorry to hear that! 17 though... wow! I have a dog (yes, I have one) that is 15 this summer.

gasp! I never knew you had a dog! :lol:

Sorry buckeye about your cat. SuRely he's still there with you.

Riddle me this? If you see no problem with making your friends who don't want to read every cache you find click away to block the app, why do you have a problem with having to manually share?

How many of my friends have you checked with to determine which ones don't want to read about my caching? Because it sounds like you're implying no one would ever want to do that. Have any data to back that up?

Who are your friends? Email me off line and we'll permit each-others accounts. At one time I watched over 500 caches so don't tell me I don't care for status updates. But I will ask.

I don't get how people keep suggesting "you can block the app" as a solution to the whole issue :unsure:

I should never have to tell anything what I don't want to see. That's totally backwards. I should be the one to choose what I do want to see, not the other way around. Nothing else makes sense.

You don't have to hide each and every posting--you only have to hide the app *once*, and every single posting by that app gets hidden immediately. In your case, all you have to do is go to the first posting you find, click the little "x" beside the message, and click the option "hide all by geocaching app". Poof! They all disappear, never to be seen again.

Again, I say, that's just the way facebook works!

:unsure: Wouldn't it be great if geocaching worked like Facebook? You could click once to ignore all caches by a particular user and never have see their crappy lame caches again. Or ignore all urban micros or all power trail caches (assuming their was an attribute that could identify these).

Or we could go with a system like dfx proposes:

I don't get how people keep suggesting "you can block the app" as a solution to the whole issue :unsure:

I should never have to tell anything what I don't want to see. That's totally backwards. I should be the one to choose what I do want to see, not the other way around. Nothing else makes sense.

Don't show me any caches until I opt in to the ones I want to see. :omnomnom:

Edited by tozainamboku
Don't show me any caches until I opt in to the ones I want toe see. :omnomnom:

You're not serious, are you? Just trolling, yeah? I truly hope so... :blink:

Well, just in case: you already see only the caches you want to see. You choose the ones you want to see by deliberately opening the fricken page!

But that is the way Facebook works.

And the geocaching app would work the way you want.

Speaking of being the only person in the world who wants to geocache on an iPad - don't you think it would open up geocaching to classrooms to be able to have a teacher use an iPad to show a class what's on the app screen? That would be cool.

Now you're opening a whole new can of worms. Do we really want school kids learning how to find our caches? Also, I would assume they arleady can project their monitors or have large screen monitors for their computers, so if they do want to teach geocaching (cringe!) they can do it with their computer. No iPad needed.

Whoa. Text doesn't convey sarcasm very well. Are you really suggesting to not open up geocaching to kids? I have fond memories of bike rides with my sons to go find caches. What's the harm in introducing people to the hobby?

And yes, some aspects of cacheing could be "taught" on a large screen in a classroom, but I was obviously talking about out in the field. But you had to know that, right? I mean, common sense and all.

Those that want to learn about it will learn about it. To take a classroom of kids and teach them all about geocaching is asking for major muggle, TB, and geocoin problems. It is a completely different thing when a parent takes their kids caching with them.

...open up geocaching to classrooms

I think our teachers have enough on their plates without adding geocaching to the curriculum.

If we're going to go there in this thread then at least go there with some facts.

Educators embrace geocaching and Groundspeak embraces geocaching programs in schools!

Groundspeak even provides a GPS in Education forum just for the topic.

The International Society for Technology in Education released the book GPS and geocaching in Education.

I have taught at least a dozen Geocaching 101 classes by invitation in local middle and high schools and almost that many at Boy Scout events.

The sad image that some seem to have that our children will be any more likely to muggle caches than adults will is simply not supported by statistics.

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler
The sad image that some seem to have that our children will be any more likely to muggle caches than adults will is simply not supported by statistics.

Maybe you know different kids than I do. From my experience, if everything else was equal, and a particular cache was accidentally discovered by a 50 year old hiker and a 16 year old kid, I'm thinking the kid is more likely to make off with the container. While I can't provide any supporting documentation for this theory, it holds with my personal observations regarding teens and mischief as opposed to adults and mischief. For situations like this, I would think that statistics leaning toward either side would be tough to acquire as most cache owners don't know the identity of the person who stole their cache. Sometimes there is some circumstantial evidence left behind, such as graphically vulgar, and usually poorly spelled statements scrawled across the crumpled notebook. In those instances, my brain assumes "teenager".

Then why do I have to block Farmville instead of the other way around? It's the exact opposite of what dfx describes! :unsure:
If by "the way you want" you mean "the exact opposite of the way you want" I agree.

I had to put my cat to sleep a couple of weeks ago. :( He was 17 and had renal failure. He was such a sweet cat!

I'm so sorry to hear that! 17 though... wow! I have a dog (yes, I have one) that is 15 this summer.

Is it legal for a dog to own a dog?

Who takes who to the vet?

Well that's cool... Where can one find said statistics, then? I'd like to be reassured.

Until then, I'll just go ahead and believe that a kid is more likely to make off with a box of interesting trinkets than an adult.

Groundspeak already offers a way for your found logs to be automatically posted on facebook. It requires a twitter acct. and a few minutes to set up. For those not wishing to see your found logs, they would have to block twitter or unfriend you. My found logs are posted on facebook and I haven't heard any complaints, I don't find many caches in a day though, nor do I cache everyday. You don't need a smart phone for it to work, however if you use the Groundspeak app, it will post to facebook. If you want to try it visit http://coord.info/textmark.aspx for the instructions on how to set it up.

Edited by kusanagi

So the fact that FB is bass ackwards gives developers an excuse for being stupid?

And no, it would work the way other people want it to work.

So the fact that FB is bass ackwards gives developers an excuse for being stupid?

Well, FB puts itself out there and hundreds of millions of people use it. So you can't exactly say they're doing it wrong. It's their method, if you don't like it, don't use it. But I'm guessing you don't have an account anyway.

Then why do I have to block Farmville instead of the other way around? It's the exact opposite of what dfx describes! :unsure:
If by "the way you want" you mean "the exact opposite of the way you want" I agree.

Let me clarify. DFX is saying he doesn't get why people keep suggesting you can block an app because he thinks you should never have to tell anything what he doesn't want to see.

And I am saying but that is the way Facebook works. If you don't want to let everything in and have to block specific items, then you should not be using Facebook.

So if you are using Facebook, you should be used to blocking stuff you don't want and this app idea should be as easy to block as any other app.

On the Groundspeak side of things, it already works the way DFX wants it to work. You don't see pages until you go look for them. You don't emails about caches until you hide caches or put them on watch, etc. You would not be posting your find to Facebook until you chose to in the geocaching app.

Therefore, the geocaching app would work the way DFX expects.

Hope that clears it up.

And no, it would work the way other people want it to work.

But you're not the only geocacher that uses Facebook. Apparently some people would like to have the app intergrate with Facebook.

The cool thing about Facebook is that you don't have to block the app for each person on your friends list. You block it once and it blocks it for all your friends. Problem solved.

You have the app and don't want to post to Facebook? Hopefully Groundspeak would make this a toggable option so you can choose whether or not you are posting to Facebook. Then you don't wind up posting to Facebook if you don't want to.

I personally would not use this. I really don't need everyone keeping track of where I am going. But for those that want it, it should be easy to implement. And for those that don't want to see this from their Facebook friends, it really would be easy to filter out.

Opt in versus opt out is always an interesting topic. Particular when you have a multitude of options and new ones are being created all the time.

dfx argues that Geocaching.com already has an opt in system since you don't see any cache page unless you choose to see it. I think this is comparing apples to oranges. It is true that unless you sign up for notifications you don't get any notifications, and when you sign up you specify which logs for which cache types you want to see. But you can't block caches based on container size or by difficulty, terrain, or attributes from your notifications. If you don't want to be notified of 1/1 micros, you can't opt out. Similarly, you don't get pocket queries unless you opt in. You have a bit more control on what caches you get in a pocket query; but with the exception of a pocket query based on a bookmark list, you're likely to get some caches you didn't want.

To make the same comparison on Facebook, you would not receive any updates from your friend unless you have indicated this is a type of notification you want to get. Instead Facebook has chosen to make their system opt out (by default you get everything your friends post). So it may be true that Joe Schmo gets a Facebook account and doesn't know how to opt out; he get frustrated by the clutter Facebook is generating and quits. Of course we, see all the Joe Schmos who sign up for a Geocaching Premium membership and then get frustrated that they paid their money and aren't getting notification of new caches or pocket queries for the nearest caches. Opt in system generally require a little more technical savvy from the users.

There is always a trade off between opt out and opt in. Each site decides which works better for the majority of their users (and sometimes for their business model). It seems to me that most Facebook users want to see what their friends are doing. When a friend starts creating clutter by using an app that generates a lot of Facebook messages you don't care about, Facebook allow you to block that app with just a mouse click. With opt in, however, every time there is a new app you would have to decide if you want to see it or not (whether or not your friends or using it and not really having an idea if it would cause annoying clutter or not). My guess is that opt out works better for most Facebook users.

Now could you have a master option on Facebook - opt out by default but can be changed to opt in for users who don't want to see anything until they opt in? I suppose this is technically feasible. Why not bring it up with Facebook?

Interesting Facebook quote...

Brother, it's an awesome quote! Kudos to Jeremy!

But it doesn't address the myth that an adult is more likely to steal than a teenager.

I wonder if the State Attorney's Office could help?

Maybe put together a database showing age ranges for shoplifters?

I'm thinking the biggest group would be 14 to 17.

But again, I don't have any hard data. Just my observations over the decades.

Brother, it's an awesome quote! Kudos to Jeremy!

But it doesn't address the myth that an adult is more likely to steal than a teenager.

I wonder if the State Attorney's Office could help?

You are right, I should not have used the word "statistics" when I meant my personal belief and observations. Any stats I may have read in my CJ classes nearly 30 years ago have long been forgotten. :o

The five kids I raised, their friends and the Scouts in my various troops over ten years bound my view on and experience with kids. From that small sampling of kids I believe what I said, that they are no more likely to muggle a cache than a similar sized and mixed group of adults.

Since I and several others in Alabama teach 'Geocaching 101' at schools, churches and at public events and to my knowledge none of us have seen an unusual incidence of muggling that has ever been blamed on the attendees I take that to support my belief.

As a Case Monitor for our Department of Youth Services my experience was quite different... I would expect almost a 100% muggle rate from them.

Your policing background, training and experience certainly trumps mine as it put you in contact with a much larger and more varied pool of kids from which your observations are probably much more accurate than are mine. Not to mention that you've likely seen the statistics!

Maybe it's just that I remain an optimist, something that's probably pretty hard for a cop to be. The officers I know tend to be what I would call 'realist' or even pessimist when it comes to what people are likely to do. :huh:

Still, my point with those posts was that Groundspeak evidently thinks like I do on the topic - that teaching geocaching in schools is a good thing for the game.

Another reason for some, I suppose, to be Disappointed in Groundspeak, but I like them for it. :D

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

Let me clarify. DFX is saying he doesn't get why people keep suggesting you can block an app because he thinks you should never have to tell anything what he doesn't want to see.

And I am saying but that is the way Facebook works. If you don't want to let everything in and have to block specific items, then you should not be using Facebook.

So if you are using Facebook, you should be used to blocking stuff you don't want and this app idea should be as easy to block as any other app.

This makes more sense. Thank you for clarifying. Thing is, people put up with the ever evolving list of new apps to block because they actually might learn something that a friend has going on in their life. I just had this discussion today. I work at a camp & conference center in NH. There was a wedding today at camp for a girl who worked here in the 90's. Completely separately, someone else who I worked with here in the early 90's came to camp today. When Mindy heard who was getting married she said "Well, if Jen had Facebook, I'd have known she was getting married!" That turned into a longer discussion on the pros and cons of FB, but regardless, she was right, people are better able to stay in touch with it. The apps are there, but pretty much get in the way of why I, and a lot of people use it. (I did, by the way, ask her what she'd do if I used an app to post geocache finds. "Block it! Sorry, John, but Block, BLOCK, BLOCK!!!!")
On the Groundspeak side of things, it already works the way DFX wants it to work. You don't see pages until you go look for them. You don't emails about caches until you hide caches or put them on watch, etc. You would not be posting your find to Facebook until you chose to in the geocaching app.

Therefore, the geocaching app would work the way DFX expects.

On the app-user side, yes, it works exactly the way he expects. But what about on the side of the app-user's friends if they choose to post the finds? It works the opposite of the way dfx expects. They'll have to do what my friend Mindy would do. "Block, BLOCK, BLOCK!!!!"
Hope that clears it up.
Mostly. :lol:

(I did, by the way, ask her what she'd do if I used an app to post geocache finds. "Block it! Sorry, John, but Block, BLOCK, BLOCK!!!!")

Just out of curiosity, did you ask her what she would do if you started posting all your geocaching finds manually, or to facebook via twitter? Would she feel differently knowing that it isn't automatic, that it isn't via an app, or would she be equally annoyed, just with no easy way to ignore the posts?

(I did, by the way, ask her what she'd do if I used an app to post geocache finds. "Block it! Sorry, John, but Block, BLOCK, BLOCK!!!!")
Just out of curiosity, did you ask her what she would do if you started posting all your geocaching finds manually, or to facebook via twitter? Would she feel differently knowing that it isn't automatic, that it isn't via an app, or would she be equally annoyed, just with no easy way to ignore the posts?
Nope, I didn't ask her that. Seems to me a hypothetical question like that could only be properly answered if it were a possibility, and I'm not going to be posting my cache finds to FB, so it seems a silly question to ask.

Nate Irish

At the Washington Homeschool fair pitching Geocaching to homeschoolers. "Wanna go on a treasure hunt?" is like a siren song to the kids. — at Puyallup Fair.

about an hour ago via iPhone

"Treasure hunt"? Well, of course it is like a siren's song to them, when you put it in those terms.

Try: "Hey, kids, put on plenty of 40% deet and let's go for a walk in the woods to find some tupperware under a rotten log and see how rusty and moldy the stuff in it has become." :lol:

(avoiding the obvious "hey kids, see that Wal-Mart over there?")

Nope, I didn't ask her that. Seems to me a hypothetical question like that could only be properly answered if it were a possibility, and I'm not going to be posting my cache finds to FB, so it seems a silly question to ask.

My point is, if there is really a concern about a bunch of hypothetical cachers annoying their facebook friends with a bunch of mundane logs, then it would be better for them to do it via an app that is easily hidden, then manually or via twitter, which isn't as easy to hide.

All of this discussion is moot, anyway, as GS isn't likely to add the feature anytime soon. Though I'm actually surprised that one of the unofficial apps hasn't added it yet.

I'd think the age ranges for grafitti taggers would be more like it. We all hate to stereotype, but stereotype generally arise out of some sort of statistical reality.

Opt in versus opt out is always an interesting topic. Particular when you have a multitude of options and new ones are being created all the time.

dfx argues that Geocaching.com already has an opt in system since you don't see any cache page unless you choose to see it. I think this is comparing apples to oranges. It is true that unless you sign up for notifications you don't get any notifications, and when you sign up you specify which logs for which cache types you want to see. But you can't block caches based on container size or by difficulty, terrain, or attributes from your notifications. If you don't want to be notified of 1/1 micros, you can't opt out. Similarly, you don't get pocket queries unless you opt in. You have a bit more control on what caches you get in a pocket query; but with the exception of a pocket query based on a bookmark list, you're likely to get some caches you didn't want.

Watchlist: Watch one particular cache.

Bookmark list: Watch a specific list of caches.

Notification: Watch an entire cache type.

Pocket Query: Watch a range of types and sizes.

All these are opt in and it works pretty well. Could you imagine if all caches were sent to you and you had to opt out of getting them?

But you're not the only geocacher that uses Facebook.

I can't tell if this statement is correct or not. It's because I'm a geocacher who does not use Facebook :P And I don't for exactly the reasons described.

Then exactly how does ANY of this affect you?

It doesn't. I can still have an opinion though, can't I? Please?

But you're not the only geocacher that uses Facebook.

I can't tell if this statement is correct or not. It's because I'm a geocacher who does not use Facebook :P And I don't for exactly the reasons described.

Then exactly how does ANY of this affect you?

It doesn't. I can still have an opinion though, can't I? Please?

Sure, as long as I can have an opinion about cache hides. :P

You make baby J33bu$ cry! Please.............. NO FREAKING FACEBOOK! I'm so freaking sick of the facebook frenzy. What the heck is wrong with people that they have to have crap like this?

Just say NO to social networking sites. Period.

I thought this was apropos to this thread, I saw it in my Facebook feed just now:

You're more than halfway there! Refer a friend before the end of the month and a dollar goes to help bring geocaching into the classroom. More information here:

http://blog.geocaching.com/2011/05/refer-a-friend/ - Thank you!

no apropos at all....its been in the last Newsletter

Oops, I neglected to mention that's a post straight from Geocaching itself.

you can "edit" your own posts, you know?

I thought this was apropos to this thread, I saw it in my Facebook feed just now:

You're more than halfway there! Refer a friend before the end of the month and a dollar goes to help bring geocaching into the classroom. More information here:

Yes, it's very apropos to this thread, actually.

Not particularly, unless we're still debating the meaning of spam. Groundspeak has a Geocaching.com Facebook page. Facebook users can choose to follow that page. The offical Latitude 47 blog has both Facebook Like buttons and Share on Facebook buttons. Facebook members can use these to share parts of the blog they feel are interesting with their Facebook friends. Sharing a few articles on a blog about Geocaching is not the same as telling everyone about each and every cache you find.

What I think some people are concerned about is sharing on Facebook of every cache you find. They may feel this would clutter their Facebook feed if they have a lot of geocaching friends who find a lot of geocaches. Even if they are not on Facebook, they are concerned that the clutter of messages about finding caches will put off others from geocaching. They may be concerned that geocaching will get a reputation for being a trivial time waster like playing Farmville. They may even worry that their employer will block Geocaching.com just as they block Facebook or Zynga.

Not particularly, unless we're still debating the meaning of spam.

Okay, I'll connect the dots.

Earlier I had mentioned using a caching app on an iPad in an instructional setting. Several people chimed in that it is one of the signs of the apocalypse for school-aged kids to learn about geocaching. I was just pointing out that Groundspeak itself is promoting it.

Earlier I had mentioned using a caching app on an iPad in an instructional setting. Several people chimed in that it is one of the signs of the apocalypse for school-aged kids to learn about geocaching. I was just pointing out that Groundspeak itself is promoting it.

While other people have pointed out that FB integration on either the website or in an "app" might keep teachers from using it in a classroom. So, what is it now?

While other people have pointed out that FB integration on either the website or in an "app" might keep teachers from using it in a classroom. So, what is it now?

As I said before ©, teachers could use the caching app in the field on an iPad. That has nothing to do with Facebook. Even if Facebook integration is a checkbox in the app, using it on an iPad to teach children has nothing to do with Facebook.

You make baby J33bu$ cry! Please.............. NO FREAKING FACEBOOK! I'm so freaking sick of the facebook frenzy. What the heck is wrong with people that they have to have crap like this?

Just say NO to social networking sites. Period.

Sooooooo

You're not keen on it then? :huh:

Oh, go on... Try it... you might like it.

I'll be your friend. :D

MrsB :P;)

Okay, I'll connect the dots.

Thanks. This thread has taken so many twists and turns that it is hard to follow what point someone is trying to make.

Still I think that the Geocaching.com announcement is not appropos to the topic.

You gave the example of a teacher using an iPad to teach about Geocaching as a reason why there should be an iPad native app. While the comments about teaching geocaching to school age kids were off topic, there were some others that questioned if an iPad was the best tool for presenting geocaching to a group.

The Groundspeak promotion is to raise funds to provide GPS equipment to schools for Geocaching programs (and other GPS related subjects). Nothing about by iPads per se, though I suppose if a teacher had a convincing argument to spend the money on a iPad instead of getting 5 or 6 handheld GPS units, they may qualify.

While Groundspeak, and many others, believe that using geocaching in the classroom is an effecitive educational method, there are many geocachers who have seen where older kids who were introduced to geocaching this way have gone back and vandalized the caches they found (or even signed up for geocaching.com accounts to find more caches to steal or trash). The lessons seem to work best in lower grades where the kids have fun going on a "treasure hunt" and learn a little about geography and geodesy while do this.

Still I think that the Geocaching.com announcement is not appropos to the topic.

You gave the example of a teacher using an iPad to teach about Geocaching as a reason why there should be an iPad native app. While the comments about teaching geocaching to school age kids were off topic, there were some others that questioned if an iPad was the best tool for presenting geocaching to a group.

It's apropos because we were discussing geocaching for kids and the Facebook post is about geocaching for kids. See how they're related?

And I mentioned iPads being useful to teach caching due to the screen size. Are there other field devices with the geocaching app that have that large a screen size you could show to several people at once?