Disappointed in Groundspeak

I don't have a problem with manually sharing finds on Facebook.
No way are you getting away with claiming this doesn't bother you. It's one of the two reasons you stated for not renewing your membership. So, if it doesn't bother you, what is this all about?
But as I said previously (in case you glossed over it or have forgotten), I stated that it would be nice to have the FB sharing feature in an app for convenience sake. Sure, it's easy enough to manually share at home in front of a computer with a mouse and keyboard. But out and about it's more difficult to do so on a device with cumbersome copy/paste mechanisms. I said this before, so hopefully it will sink in this time.
There's a difference between comprehending what someone says and agreeing with that same thing. I know exactly what you have stated, it doesn't have to sink in any further, it just happens that I disagree.

"Hopefully it will sink in this time" insinuates that someone isn't agreeing with you because they are dense. Since I, and others, have given what I believe to be fairly well thought out reasons to not have this feature, I have to conclude that either it is you who are dense or that you are trying to call our judgement into question by calling us dense. To claim the former and call you dense is against the guidelines, so I must assume that it is the latter. Do you care to bring your post into compliance with the guidelines?

Edit: Spewwing and gwammaw.

I don't know how you think I'm getting away with anything. Manually sharing cache finds or anything else on FB is one thing. As for one of the reasons I started this thread - it's in app sharing that I was suggesting. You realize there's a difference, right? Because it's been said over and over yet you still focus on the wrong thing. I guess in an attempt to "be right."

And you disagree that this function should be in the app. That's fine! We're all different, we all have different wants and desires. But apparently yours trumps mine. Such a nice attitude. And hoping it sinks in this time has nothing to do with agreement. I've had to repeat myself over and over in this thread. I guess it's because people skim, rather than that they are dense - something you brought up.

]Any news on flask's cat?

I don't get it.unsure.gif

Flask is a long time forum poster. She has not been around lately. In times like this she liked to post stories about her cat.

Yes... Often a topic that had gone past it's sell-by date got diverted into a discourse about flask's cat. Sometimes I miss that cat.

I'll lend mine, if you want.

MrsB ;)

]Any news on flask's cat?
I don't get it.unsure.gif
Flask is a long time forum poster. She has not been around lately. In times like this she liked to post stories about her cat.
I heard from flask somewhat recently. She had logged one of my caches, and I emailed her.

Which means, if her logs on a few of my caches are any indication, she probably found the cache a year ago.

Wow, I have no idea how someone could abandon a dog when they move.

He's such a cutie.

They moved into a place that wouldn't allow dogs. So they managed to home one of theirs (an irish setter) but couldn't find a home for Buddah. When I found him left in the yard I texted them and they asked if I'd watch him until they found a home. I of course said yes- he's a cutie and it isn't his fault- and so he's staying with us for now.

He's a medium large dog with long white shaggy hair (well did until I shaved him because of the matts and the heat). He sits, lays down, stays, walks on a lead (we're working on that skill since I don't know when they last took him on a walk) and he's crate trained. He gets along with other dogs, likes kids, isn't afraid of water/bikes/cars and is very easy going.

Gee, can you tell I've told people about him before?

He's such a cutie.

They moved into a place that wouldn't allow dogs. So they managed to home one of theirs (an irish setter) but couldn't find a home for Buddah. When I found him left in the yard I texted them and they asked if I'd watch him until they found a home. I of course said yes- he's a cutie and it isn't his fault- and so he's staying with us for now.

He's a medium large dog with long white shaggy hair (well did until I shaved him because of the matts and the heat). He sits, lays down, stays, walks on a lead (we're working on that skill since I don't know when they last took him on a walk) and he's crate trained. He gets along with other dogs, likes kids, isn't afraid of water/bikes/cars and is very easy going.

If I weren't so far away I'd be interested. Then again, everyone here thinks I'm evil, so....

He's such a cutie.

If I weren't so far away I'd be interested. Then again, everyone here thinks I'm evil, so....

I don't think anyone thinks you're evil. I just don't think that your approach to the topic was ideal.

He's such a cutie.

I don't think anyone thinks you're evil. I just don't think that your approach to the topic was ideal.

+1

Unfortunately your OP was a little high on the angst-o-meter. I commend you for sticking around and toning it down as the thread progressed--a lot of people just bail when they don't get the response they wanted. But the first post tends to set the tone, and some people just never get past that.

I dunno, I just went back and re-read it and it didn't seem too hostile to me. At least nothing that deserved the vitriol I received.

Something like the below would have gone over much better.

I'm using the iPhone app and wondered if anyone used it on an iPad. I'd like to avoid buying another license for it unless it is worth it.

It might be nice to have added to the app an option to upload the log (or something like "I just logged Billy Bob's Birthday caches as found") to FB.

What do you guys think?

I'm not sure about renewing my PM this year since these are things I'd really like to see and I just don't feel I get that much out of my PM as it is.

I dunno, I just went back and re-read it and it didn't seem too hostile to me. At least nothing that deserved the vitriol I received.

Not hostile, just a bit angsty. Any mention of "I'm not renewing my membership" is perceived as angst. And any mention of facebook brings out A LOT of angst from others--but I think you figured that out! ;)

I'm using the iPhone app and wondered if anyone used it on an iPad. I'd like to avoid buying another license for it unless it is worth it.

It might be nice to have added to the app an option to upload the log (or something like "I just logged Billy Bob's Birthday caches as found") to FB.

What do you guys think?

I'm not sure about renewing my PM this year since these are things I'd really like to see and I just don't feel I get that much out of my PM as it is.

Yeah, that sounds much nicer.

I guess where I was coming from was waiting for a year on an app, or any notice of it, and having several emails to Groundspeak go unanswered. It's the lack of transparency that irks me the most. If you're never coming out with an iPad version just let us know! I'd buy the existing app right now if I knew not to hold out.

But they don't have any indications anywhere that I can find. And as I said, they've never answered my emails. So perhaps my initial post had a bit too much frustration behind it. Clearly I deserve to be drawn and quartered.

What do you guys think?

Yeah, that sounds much nicer.

I guess where I was coming from was waiting for a year on an app, or any notice of it, and having several emails to Groundspeak go unanswered. It's the lack of transparency that irks me the most. If you're never coming out with an iPad version just let us know! I'd buy the existing app right now if I knew not to hold out.

But they don't have any indications anywhere that I can find. And as I said, they've never answered my emails. So perhaps my initial post had a bit too much frustration behind it. Clearly I deserve to be drawn and quartered.

Drawn and quartered seems a bit harsh. Flogged? Maybe. :D:ph34r::D

It's the lack of transparency that irks me the most. If you're never coming out with an iPad version just let us know! I'd buy the existing app right now if I knew not to hold out.

But they don't have any indications anywhere that I can find. And as I said, they've never answered my emails.

Why would you expect transparency from a company with whom you do business? Try emailing Apple and asking them when you can expect the iPad 3 to come out, and see how quickly you get a response.

It's the lack of transparency that irks me the most. If you're never coming out with an iPad version just let us know! I'd buy the existing app right now if I knew not to hold out.

But they don't have any indications anywhere that I can find. And as I said, they've never answered my emails.

Why would you expect transparency from a company with whom you do business? Try emailing Apple and asking them when you can expect the iPad 3 to come out, and see how quickly you get a response.

That's (literally) Apples and oranges. Secret product info is one thing. An announcement of "iPad version coming 2Q12!" or a response from one of my emails saying "we will not be coming out with an iPad version" would be great. Or even, "people who purchase the iPhone app will receive a free upgrade to an iPad version if we develop one in the future." All three of those responses would earn $10 from me. No word = no money.

I don't have a problem with manually sharing finds on Facebook.
No way are you getting away with claiming this doesn't bother you. It's one of the two reasons you stated for not renewing your membership. So, if it doesn't bother you, what is this all about?
But as I said previously (in case you glossed over it or have forgotten), I stated that it would be nice to have the FB sharing feature in an app for convenience sake. Sure, it's easy enough to manually share at home in front of a computer with a mouse and keyboard. But out and about it's more difficult to do so on a device with cumbersome copy/paste mechanisms. I said this before, so hopefully it will sink in this time.
There's a difference between comprehending what someone says and agreeing with that same thing. I know exactly what you have stated, it doesn't have to sink in any further, it just happens that I disagree.

"Hopefully it will sink in this time" insinuates that someone isn't agreeing with you because they are dense. Since I, and others, have given what I believe to be fairly well thought out reasons to not have this feature, I have to conclude that either it is you who are dense or that you are trying to call our judgement into question by calling us dense. To claim the former and call you dense is against the guidelines, so I must assume that it is the latter. Do you care to bring your post into compliance with the guidelines?

Edit: Spewwing and gwammaw.

I don't know how you think I'm getting away with anything. Manually sharing cache finds or anything else on FB is one thing. As for one of the reasons I started this thread - it's in app sharing that I was suggesting. You realize there's a difference, right? Because it's been said over and over yet you still focus on the wrong thing. I guess in an attempt to "be right."
Read what I wrote again, and then answer the question. I'm not letting you get away with claiming you aren't bothered by the lack of FB integration. In your OP, you stated that you were not renewing your membership because of the lack of FB integration and the lack of an iPad app. If those two things don't bother you, why is it again that you are not renewing your membership?
And you disagree that this function should be in the app. That's fine! We're all different, we all have different wants and desires. But apparently yours trumps mine. Such a nice attitude.
I'm sorry, I thought this was a discussion forum. I didn't say you can't have the feature, I said why I think it shouldn't be a feature. If I said that Groundspeak should start working on Wherigo again, and you came and gave reasons why that's a bad idea, would I have reason to say "But apparently your wants and desires trump mine. Such a nice attitude"? No, that'd be silly. Don't be silly.
And hoping it sinks in this time has nothing to do with agreement. I've had to repeat myself over and over in this thread. I guess it's because people skim, rather than that they are dense - something you brought up.
You've repeated yourself over and over in attempt to make people agree with you. Unfortunately for you, the participants in this thread have reason to disagree, reasons you haven't been able to refute. I suspect it is because the arguments against haven't sunken in. You must be skimming. <_<
I heard from flask somewhat recently. She had logged one of my caches, and I emailed her.
Which means, if her logs on a few of my caches are any indication, she probably found the cache a year ago.
Yep. Logs from last summer.

Oh, and KC's right, it is flask's neighbors' cat. My bad.

I wasn't creating an arbitrary definition. I was using a definition based on my personal interpretation of spam, and wasn't trying to impose my definition on others.
Using personal definitions, rather than standard ones, does not lend itself to good communication.

I'm not offended easily, but if someone said something to me that I thought was offensive, it really doesn't matter to me if they prefaced it with "no offense intended". Essentially, if the recipient of a message perceives that message as offensive, or characterizes it as spam, it doesn't matter if the sender calls "Extremely important information". As far as the recipient is concerned, it's still spam.

Frankly, I don't really care if someone wants to call certain types of facebook messages spam or not. That's just a semantic interpretation that doesn't really address issue that some people in this thread really don't want to receive some sort of notification every time someone on their FB friends list found a geocache, and would prefer that Groundspeak did not allocate resources implementing something that they'll have to take action on to block.

As a number of people have been trying to explain to you, you wouldn't receive these messages every time one of your friends found a geocache. If you didn't want these messages, you would receive them exactly once. You would then make the two clicks necessary to block them just as you no doubt would to block Too Tall John's Charmed Gems app.

"Two Clicks" would be an ideal scenario where the recipient only received one of those messages before they were able to get onto FB and block the application. Although I wouldn't consider the following a common scenario, but suppose GS release an opt-out FB application tomorrow morning. Tomorrow morning I'm going be getting on airplane and won't have internet access while aboard. I'm going to be on that airplane for almost 14 hours. During that time I might have several FB geocaching friends find caches tomorrow and use the app. So, I could just block the app when I get off the plane and ignore the clutter of messages in the feed. Not in my case. At the end of that flight, I'll be in China. As you may or may not know, Facebook is blocked in China so unless I jump through some hoops and activate a VPN client I won't be able to block the application until I get back in the States in about a week. While this might seem like a unique situation, I suspect that most would not be in a position to block the app immediately after the first message was posted.

The fact is, it doesn't matter. When you block such a message in your newsfeed, that message goes away as does every other message from that app.

I don't really care if did only take two clicks. It's two clicks (at a minium) for everyone that wants to block the app. Those two clicks add up. It's an opt-out application that forces those that don't want to participate to take an action that could be avoided by simply not creating the application.

Those two clicks do not 'add up'. They remain only two clicks for anyone who wants to opt out of those messages.
Tomorrow morning I'm going be getting on airplane and won't have internet access while aboard. I'm going to be on that airplane for almost 14 hours. During that time I might have several FB geocaching friends find caches tomorrow and use the app. So, I could just block the app when I get off the plane and ignore the clutter of messages in the feed. Not in my case. At the end of that flight, I'll be in China. As you may or may not know, Facebook is blocked in China so unless I jump through some hoops and activate a VPN client I won't be able to block the application until I get back in the States in about a week. While this might seem like a unique situation, I suspect that most would not be in a position to block the app immediately after the first message was posted.
You do, of course, realize that you wouldn't be able to block it because you can't see FB at all, thus alleviating the need to block it until you can actually see FB, right?

It's akin to arguing your neighbor is blasting his music and it's annoying you while you're at work 10 miles away.

No, it's more like, while you're at work your neighbor starts putting a pink flamingo on your lawn every ten minutes. Once you get back home, he may have stopped, but you still got a mess to clean up. Your neighbor shrugs their shoulders and says "But you could have blocked the app..." :huh:
That's a bad analogy. For it to work, you would have to be able to 'clean up' any one of the flamingos in just a second or two AND all of the other flamingos would automatically go away instantly.
Tomorrow morning I'm going be getting on airplane and won't have internet access while aboard. I'm going to be on that airplane for almost 14 hours. During that time I might have several FB geocaching friends find caches tomorrow and use the app. So, I could just block the app when I get off the plane and ignore the clutter of messages in the feed. Not in my case. At the end of that flight, I'll be in China. As you may or may not know, Facebook is blocked in China so unless I jump through some hoops and activate a VPN client I won't be able to block the application until I get back in the States in about a week. While this might seem like a unique situation, I suspect that most would not be in a position to block the app immediately after the first message was posted.
You do, of course, realize that you wouldn't be able to block it because you can't see FB at all, thus alleviating the need to block it until you can actually see FB, right?
Of course. On the other hand, the longer I stay away from FB the more cluttered my feed is going to get by the time I get back.
What does it matter? If there are 25 million of these geocaching app messages on your newsfeed and you poof them after reading the very first one, they ALL go away.
Although I have a spam filter on my two primary email accounts a lot of junk still gets through. With my iPhone linked to both accounts I'm able to stay on top of it and delete the junk that still makes it's way into my inboxes. Of course, it only takes one click to delete an unwanted email message, right? Well, According to Ferris Research, "in 2009 worldwide spam costs hit a staggering $130 billion of which $42 billion was in the US alone."
Unlike email spam, you don't have to delete these individually. When you take two seconds to delete one, they all go away. BTW, how much is that two seconds of time that you spend reading your facebook messages worth?
It may only take one or two clicks to block unwanted messages, but the time it takes to block something that is avoidable in the first place adds up.
No, it doesn't. It's still two seconds whether you get one message or a thousand and they are poofed forever.
Although somewhat unrelated I thought the following bit of news was interesting. As many probably are aware Google frequently changes their logo on their search engine page and occasionally creates an animated image and even interactive applications (called Doodles) that people can play with. Last week they had a playable guitar doodle which celebrated the birthday of guitar pioneer, Les Paul (who died in 2009). It was estimated that google users spent an additional 26 seconds than average, and resulted in a worldwide loss of productivity in the neighborhood of $260 million. And that was an opt-in activity.
People choose to waste huge amounts of their lives doing silly activities. We are all familiar with this concept since we are geocachers and forum posters.

Of course. On the other hand, the longer I stay away from FB the more cluttered my feed is going to get by the time I get back.

Although I have a spam filter on my two primary email accounts a lot of junk still gets through. With my iPhone linked to both accounts I'm able to stay on top of it and delete the junk that still makes it's way into my inboxes. Of course, it only takes one click to delete an unwanted email message, right? Well, According to Ferris Research, "in 2009 worldwide spam costs hit a staggering $130 billion of which $42 billion was in the US alone."

It may only take one or two clicks to block unwanted messages, but the time it takes to block something that is avoidable in the first place adds up.

This statement makes me think that you *don't* understand how blocking apps in facebook works. It's not like e-mail, where once it's in your inbox, it has to be manually removed. It's a live feed. If you block the app *once*, all posts by that app disappear, even ones that were sent prior to the app being blocked. So hide the app on the first message that you come to, even if it's the most recent one sent, and all the other messages will disappear--you won't see them at all as you scroll through all the posts from the last 2 weeks.

Yes, blocking apps on Facebook is simple. Do it once and you don't have to see anymore of that app in your feed. It's not like you have to block each individual post.

I guess I don't know exactly how FB application blocking works. I'm mostly a casual user of FB and I suspect I'm not alone. I just did a google search on "How to block Facebook apps" and the results indicate that I'm not the only person that isn't clear on it works.

It works pretty much like blocking/hiding any other post. You click the X beside the post. You are presented with 2 options. One to block the post and the other to block the app.

Edited to add this. When you google "How to block Facebook apps", you are probably getting results from people wanting to block all facebook apps at once. There are some who do not want to see ANY apps. I'm not aware of a way to do that. But blocking a single app is easy.

Edited by mresoteric

Oh, and KC's right, it is flask's neighbors' cat. My bad.

i'm begging you leave some space between the quoted post and your reply so its not all mangled together and its easy to read, you ain't saving GS any bandwidth by cramming it all together :P:lol:

Speaking of being the only person in the world who wants to geocache on an iPad - don't you think it would open up geocaching to classrooms to be able to have a teacher use an iPad to show a class what's on the app screen? That would be cool.

Now you're opening a whole new can of worms. Do we really want school kids learning how to find our caches? Also, I would assume they arleady can project their monitors or have large screen monitors for their computers, so if they do want to teach geocaching (cringe!) they can do it with their computer. No iPad needed.

He actually didn't bring school kids into the thread. That was done early on by someone arguing against facebook integration.

The earlier reference to schools had nothing to do with teaching geocaching.

Why else would teachers be using GC.com in the classroom?

Edited by sbell111

Wait, so you're saying you go back and read everything?

My FB friends list includes geocachers, people I went to high school with, many friends that I've made in real life over the past 40 years or so, family members, and business related contacts that I've made. Some of those people post messages that I actually *want* to read and I already have to sift through the messages to find things I might find interesting. Adding more clutter doesn't help.

I'm not sure what your post has to do with the topic, but you should note that you can create newsfeeds based on groups of friends. YOu can put all of you geocaching buds in one group and all of your business contacts in another, etc. It greatly reduces newsfeed clutter and still allows me to read messages from those people who want to post the minutia of their lives, but occasionally have something interesting to say.
Yes, blocking apps on Facebook is simple. Do it once and you don't have to see anymore of that app in your feed. It's not like you have to block each individual post.

For my own personal edification, as I also am not a Facebook expert.

I know I could block the hypothetical Geocaching posts on my Facebook feed with a single click. I've used that trick for all manner of Facebook apps I really have no interest in hearing from. Farmville, Farmtown, Frontierville, Mafia Wars, Vampire Wars, Pirates, etc, etc. It's a never ending task, but since it only takes a few seconds, it's one I don't grumble about too often.

What I do gripe about are all the emails I receive from these various apps before I block them. While the hundreds of flamingos do disappear like magic when I pluck the first one, the emails I get prior to that blocking remain in my inbox, and must be deleted one at a time.

"BillyBob needs help harvesting potatoes" <Delete>

"Fred sent you a wagon wheel" <Delete>

Multiply that by a factor of 10, and you'll see what my inbox looks like. :lol:

For the Facebook Ninjas amongst us, it there a way to prevent any app from sending me an email?

I know I could block the hypothetical Geocaching posts on my Facebook feed with a single click. I've used that trick for all manner of Facebook apps I really have no interest in hearing from. Farmville, Farmtown, Frontierville, Mafia Wars, Vampire Wars, Pirates, etc, etc. It's a never ending task, but since it only takes a few seconds, it's one I don't grumble about too often.

What I do gripe about are all the emails I receive from these various apps before I block them. While the hundreds of flamingos do disappear like magic when I pluck the first one, the emails I get prior to that blocking remain in my inbox, and must be deleted one at a time.

For the Facebook Ninjas amongst us, it there a way to prevent any app from sending me an email?

Yes, you need to go into your settings and adjust your e-mail preferences. Let me see if I can find the specifics.

I signed up for Facebook to keep in touch with people, not to read:
[snip image]

Could you help Linda?

Linda needs a letter A gem to reveal the gem mosaic.

app_2_216230855057280_2930.gif 5 hours ago via Charmed Gems

Now that you've made teh two clicks necessary to block the 'Charmed Gem' messages, they can never bother you again. Still, those people who enjoy that game can still get them.
Ditto. I've got more than 75 FB apps blocked because they spammed my FB home page with messages like that. It would be a shame if Groundspeak invested resources developing a geocaching FB app that I had to block, but I wouldn't hesitate to block it.

But some people love that stuff.

Yes!

Account settings (drop down under your name).

Notifications (tab)

Un-tick the little boxes to your hearts desire.

Remember to save.

Beat me to it! :)

I already had the window open.

Woot!! You guys are a lifesaver!

Yes!

Account settings (drop down under your name).

Notifications (tab)

Un-tick the little boxes to your hearts desire.

Remember to save.

Beat me to it! :)

I already had the window open.

Woot!! You guys are a lifesaver!

Did you see my directions for cutting off all platform apps at the root?

But towards the bottom of the Privacy Settings page is apps and websites with a link to "edit your settings". On that page there is an "Apps you use" line item. And there you can turn off platform apps!

Edited by MooseJawSpruce

I get no e-mails from any apps, period. When something pops into my feed and I don't want it, it's gone. I hardly ever see notifications for games, apps, etc., unless I want them there.

When people talk about their newsfeed being cluttered, my first reaction is "you don't know how to set things up properly so it isn't," and my second reaction is "and that's Facebook's fault for not making it significantly easier to discover how to do so," although that is their business model so you can't really expect them to make it easy, but you can give them credit for making it possible at all.

Incidentally, Zuck and the boys have been working on making things much easier for privacy and news feed control and a new control panel is forthcoming. Should be interesting to see where they take things with the new and improved privacy controls.

"you don't know how to set things up properly so it isn't,"

You just described me to a "T". Thankfully, folks in here take pity on me once they recognise that I'm dumber than a bag of hammers and I like to play in swamps. :lol: Thanx to MooseJaw and Buckeye, I hope to never get another "BillyBob Needs..." email. B)

"you don't know how to set things up properly so it isn't,"

You just described me to a "T". Thankfully, folks in here take pity on me once they recognise that I'm dumber than a bag of hammers and I like to play in swamps. :lol: Thanx to MooseJaw and Buckeye, I hope to never get another "BillyBob Needs..." email. B)

:) Glad to help! (Even if Moosejaw is quicker on the keyboard.) I learn more about settings and such from asking other users than from reading help files. Thanks Moosejaw for that info for blocking all the apps--I'll have to look into that. And to vincenzosi--so when this new control panel goes live I have lots of "oh no they changed something again!" posts to look forward to, eh? Thanks for the warning! B)

https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/editaccount.php?notifications

Go to the notifications under Account/Account Settings and you can adjust what notifications you receive. I get very few emails from Facebook as I prefer to see Facebook stuff when I log into Facebook, not in my email. You have a lot of control there.

:rolleyes:

This thread got a 100 replies in less than 3 hours. You guys must be passionate in this argument! Or discussion. Yeah, that's what i meant.

Did you read any of it? Some of it has been interesting and worthwhile.

Read a few posts. Informative, though not interesting. :grin:

To each his own. Why bother posting to a thread you aren't interested in?

Some reviewers are dogs. But, of course, not all dogs are reviewers. And not all reviewers are dogs.

I'm not sure if any reviewers have been abandoned.

I wonder if Flask's neighbor's cat have a Facebook page? Hmmmmm...