Disappointed in Groundspeak

I've had my iPad for over a year and there's been no update of the Geocaching app to an iPad version. And no word on if there will be one. Nor any indication as to whether or not buying the existing app will give you a free upgrade to an iPad version in the future. Why not make it a universal app?

And why no Facebook integration? I can check into millions of restaurants and locations all over the word and have it post to my Facebook account, but not Geocaching? What better way to advertise (freely!) than have the thousands of members who cache post about it to all their friends on Facebook?

My membership just lapsed for the year. I've been paying since 2006. Until Groundspeak catches up with the times, I see no reason to continue paying them when I'm not getting out of them what they're capable of. Quit coasting, guys, and get with the times! Please!

Edited by IndyJones1023

I've had my iPad for over a year and there's been no update of the Geocaching app to an iPad version. And no word on if there will be one. Nor any indication as to whether or not buying the existing app will give you a free upgrade to an iPad version in the future. Why not make it a universal app?

And why no Facebook integration? I can check into millions of restaurants and locations all over the word and have it post to my Facebook account, but not Geocaching? What better way to advertise (freely!) than have the thousands of members who cache post about it to all their friends on Facebook?

My membership just lapsed for the year. I've been paying since 2006. Until Groundspeak catches up with the times, I see no reason to continue paying them when I'm not getting out of them what they're capable of. Quit coasting, guys, and get with the times! Please!

+1 on social media integration...well overdue...

My iPhone version of the Geocaching app works just fine on my iPad.

What would the "new" version have that the current version does not? :unsure:

I don't know, since I can't install the iPhone version without paying for it. And if I find it to be unsatisfactory, I'm stuck with it. Which would be especially disheartening if I were to have to pay all over again for an iPad version.

With the larger screen I'm sure there are plenty of features they could add on to an iPad version. So wondering how well an iPhone version works on an iPad is pointless. It's not about what works now, it's about how much better it could be.

Generally updates are free. I'm not sure if the iPad app (or whatever it is called) needs an update- maybe that is why there hasn't been one.

Universal apps usually only work within the same OS (I'm sure there are exceptions to this).

FB integration has been fought and was at one point implemented (I never used it so I don't know much about how it worked) and was quickely taken off the site. Do a quick forum search and you'll find a number of threads about this topic.

Don't forget those of us that would simply HATE to see any further facebook integration.

I suppose you can hate it, but then you wouldn't use it, right? For those of us who would, why prohibit us from doing so?

Integration of FB would cause a large number of folks to be unable to access the site as many networks disallow active FB connections (some one please come up with the correct term for what I'm trying to say while I get another cup of coffee... this is why I don't work on Mondays)

Generally updates are free.

True, but not usually amongst different devices. You can get all the free iPhone updates they pump out, but if the iPad app is different, then me buying the iPhone version would be a waste of money.

All I really want is some transparency from Groundspeak. A nice message as to whether or not an iPad version will ever come out would end the speculation and waiting. Also, since no one needs to use Facebook integration if they don't want to, why is it not even offered to those of us who would use it? Like I said, free advertising!

+1 on social media integration...well overdue...

-3 on social media integration. Many threads on the subject and little to no support.

On big reason to not have social media integration is that many teachers use geocaching in there classroom curriculum and want to use the website on their classroom computers. Many school districts have anti-social media policies. As a result anything that even hints at loading content from the social media sites is banned. We went through that episode last year. Then there are those employers that block all social media sites from the corporate networks. What is one to do for a geocaching fix during the day when at work? Think a bit past your smartphone centric world.

-3 on social media integration. Many threads on the subject and little to no support.

On big reason to not have social media integration is that many teachers use geocaching in there classroom curriculum and want to use the website on their classroom computers. Many school districts have anti-social media policies. As a result anything that even hints at loading content from the social media sites is banned. We went through that episode last year. Then there are those employers that block all social media sites from the corporate networks. What is one to do for a geocaching fix during the day when at work? Think a bit past your smartphone centric world.

Hit up the forums? :lol:

I don't know, since I can't install the iPhone version without paying for it. And if I find it to be unsatisfactory, I'm stuck with it. Which would be especially disheartening if I were to have to pay all over again for an iPad version.

With the larger screen I'm sure there are plenty of features they could add on to an iPad version. So wondering how well an iPhone version works on an iPad is pointless. It's not about what works now, it's about how much better it could be.

So then your real complaint is having to pay ten bucks to get that app on your iphone?

PLEASE NO Facebook integration!!!!! It has gone way too far elsewhere already!!!

So then your real complaint is having to pay ten bucks to get that app on your iphone?

Not at all. Where do you get this from?

Of course, a simple checkbox during setup that says "Disable X social network for my account" would solve that. I don't want to dredge that up again, and honestly I understand (but don't agree with) people who think this will ruin Geocaching.com, but that problem is easily solved during the setup of the feature and at the time of account setup.

Funny, considering Facebook doesn't have an iPad app (and the iPhone version doesn't work so well on the iPad). There are some third party apps for Facebook on the iPad.

I suppose that Geocaching.com might eventually make its API a bit more accessible so that third parties could create iPad apps or create some software that offers better Facebook integration with Geocaching. Those who oppose Groundspeak spending resource on social networking might be more accepting if this were done by third parties and Groundspeak just controlled the API to prevent abuse (and perhaps to develop an additional revenue stream). The basic Geocaching.com and iPhone apps could be kept somewhat clean of the social networking and others could be allowed to integerate these aspects with geocaching with either smart phone apps or third party websites.

Groundspeak has always relied on third party tools for geocaching (GPX Spinner, GSAK, GPSBabel, various statistic tool and coordinate checkers, Greasemonkey scripts). With the advent of smart devices and more and more social network integration, they seem to want to keep these areas for themselves. But then it seems that they can't do everything (at least all at once) and that disappoints many geocachers. Here's hoping that an API is made available that allows the talented people in the Geocaching community to develop these tools. (Witness the work done in Wherigo with two new builders and several players for smart phones with little or no Groundspeak involvement).

+1

I thought there was little difference between the two besides screen size and calling features.

Why have an "iPad only" app when there's already one that (should) work for both?

C.R. says it works "just fine." If you still have doubts, email Groundspeak and a lacky should know if it's compatible.

Maybe they could just call it the "iPhone/Pad app" and everyone's happy. Or not.

For a group who've embraced technology gadgets (GPS devices), we sure have a vocal group of curmudgeons. Shall I get off your lawn when I listen to rock and roll music, too?

Did you know that there are cachers who use a map and compass to cache? Now that is old school.

On topic. The issue about FB integration has to do with the overall access of the site if such a thing were to be integrated. If you want it on your phone, then that is a differnt request.

looks like you are trying to find a reson for not paying the premium membership and you need to convince yourself mate.

facebook integrations is not that fun... imagine how much my friends would hate me when I started spamming finds on my wall.

as for the app, as said here, it works on ipad...

Not at all. Where do you get this from?

The iphone app works well on this guys pad. But it costs ten bucks and ....

I don't know, since I can't install the iPhone version without paying for it.

That was your response to paying for it.

So there is an app available (when your original complaint was that there were none), but it appears that you just didn't want to pay for it.

People are really reaching now.

I want to pay for my membership as I've been doing for years - but I feel that Groundspeak is being lax in staying with current trends. And what I meant by not installing the iPhone app is that there is no trial version and if I find it to not be up to my standards, that's wasted money.

Like I said, I'm willing to pay for my continuing membership and for an iPad app. Groundspeak just needs to offer it.

I thought there was little difference between the two besides screen size and calling features.

Why have an "iPad only" app when there's already one that (should) work for both?

C.R. says it works "just fine." If you still have doubts, email Groundspeak and a lacky should know if it's compatible.

Maybe they could just call it the "iPhone/Pad app" and everyone's happy. Or not.

1. An iPad version would make better use of the screen real estate.

2. The iPad version would work in Landscape mode.

And those are just two things I can come up with in a few seconds. The iPhone version does "run" but running iPhone apps on the iPad isn't ideal. Universal apps (that run on both) or native apps (made for the iPad) are definitely the way to go.

I'm surprised at how stubborn a lot of people are.

You do realize that if there is an iPad version of the existing iPhone app that more people will buy it, correct? So why limit income potential? Just because you don't want an iPad app doesn't mean you have to buy it if it were to become available. And if there were a Facebook checkbox in the geocaching app doesn't mean you have to click it.

Good thing you people don't run the world or we'd all be suffering only what you want.

Did you know that there are cachers who use a map and compass to cache? Now that is old school.

That's pretty cool. Much like I still use my old Atari 2600, 800XL, and 1040ST!

I never owned an Atari computer but I worked at Atari in 1975.

It was be hard to label me as a technology curmudgeon since I've been working with technology for 36 years and "technology strategist" is part of my official working title. Yet, I still would have a hard time justifying the development of an app specifically for the iPad. I would imagine the number of geocachers that own iPads as small percentage, and even fewer geocachers that own iPads that actually use them for geocaching. Spending development time on technology that benefits such a small percentage of groundspeaks user population doesn't make sense when there are bug fixes and features to be worked on that benefit *all* geocachers. That said, I would suggest posting the development of an iPad application as a Feedback issue. If there is enough support for the idea in the feedback site Groundspeak might prioritize the issue and allocate development resources towards it. There are already a couple of issues in the Feedback site related to Facebook integration and one of them is under review.

If you would like to see a feature added to the geocaching site or the applications developed by Groundspeak the Feedback site is the place to suggest it.

For a group who've embraced technology gadgets (GPS devices), we sure have a vocal group of curmudgeons. Shall I get off your lawn when I listen to rock and roll music, too?

You may be right about the curmudgeons in the forums, and the majority of active Geocachers do indeed want Facebook integration. Too new of a topic to know for sure yet. I actually do yell at people to get off my lawn, but I listen to obscure indie rock that would make most people cringe. :huh:

I'm not against any of those requests (not that it matters, I don't work for Groundspeak). However, if I had to rank priorities for them to work on - your 2 wouldn't be at the top of my list. First and foremost, I want this site (even if it remains "as is" functionally), to be QUICK, RESPONSIVE and ALWAYS AVAILABLE. If Groundspeak revenues can't accommodate every request simultaneously, I sure hope they focus on that before iPad integration (because I don't and won't own one) or Facebook integration (because if I care, I can post my own links from here to Facebook; a button is just a shortcut).

I get not integrating Facebook - on the site. If I'm logging finds on a computer it's easy enough to copy/paste a link to my Facebook page. But when out in the field, it's cumbersome to do so. It would be great if the iPhone app was updated to a universal binary that worked on iPads and had a Facebook check box thus making it easier to do so when logging finds on the fly.

You've grabbed 11 caches in the last six months and Facebook integration is your primary concern?

You've grabbed 11 caches in the last six months and Facebook integration is your primary concern?

Stalk much?

If you were to extrapolate a bit, one conclusion is that my caching has waned due to lack of innovation. But the real reason is a decline in my traveling and being more busy with making films.

I get enough geocaching posts on Facebook from friends who went out on epic hikes or whatnot. If that was expanded to getting an update for every cache log I'd either unfriend them or block it completely.

I can't get what I want, so I am not renewing my membership.

You don't agree with me, so you are wrong, curmudgeons, and technologically deficient.

Does that about sum it up?

50513_344067005409_4003514_n.jpg

No, but if you prefer to stay narrowminded and be insultory while not engaging in the conversation, that's your right.

I get enough geocaching posts on Facebook from friends who went out on epic hikes or whatnot. If that was expanded to getting an update for every cache log I'd either unfriend them or block it completely.

But you see, if people copy/paste caching links to Facebook you have no way to block that info other than by ignoring that user entirely. If there were Facebook integration into the geocaching app, you could block just that app. That way you'd still see their posts about eating toast in the morning and disagreeing with the Idol results and not have to see their geocaching finds.

Stalk much?

If you were to extrapolate a bit, one conclusion is that my caching has waned due to lack of innovation. But the real reason is a decline in my traveling and being more busy with making films.

Looking at somebody's profile is not stalking. That is public information.

Now that I have said that... it occurs to me that perhaps we are jumping to conclusions as to what exactly you mean by "Facebook integration". We did have a "Like This" cache link for a while that caused an uproar loud enough to be heard in the frog pond. But that may not be at all what you are thinking of... would you care to explain your idea of integration?