Dipping of geocoins from sublime to ridiculous

andGuest

For all you geocachers out there that like angst I am guessing I am getting ready to see a few emoticons eating popcorn and such but anyway.

I live in an area where cachers get finds at all costs and do anything to get numbers of every ridiculous thing you could ever think about. However, the latest one seems to be effecting my caches and there isn't anything I can do about it. Some people have started dipping their entire inventory of coins/TB in every cache they find. Beyond the fact that they are not carrying the trackables to the caches as some of them would not even hold them. What is the point? My issue is that at times I go and look at the coins and bugs that travel through my caches to see where they go from there.

Here are a few examples: GC2KYW4 past trackables

and this is a good one (GC2X3AK) a micro with 9 finds with 375 trackablespassing through.

Should there be a limit as to the number of trackables someone can dip and if so how many? Or should it be a cache owners perogative whether or not to allow the dipping of coins?

Seems that the same is happening in different parts of the world ... I agree, if there is a remote possibility that something goes wrong, it will happen ... then what can be done to avoid this snobbery?

If we all do the same, there will be no room to move.

Possibly put a cap is the best solution, for everyone, ...IMO.

Maybe I'm missing something but what harm does it do to you?

I own a few caches, but I usually only check the inventory not past caches.

Well I guess I should just log finds on your caches because what is the harm? It is my cache page and I do use the past inventory from time to time. Furthermore I would not mind so much if they were actually dragging 100 trackables to each cache and putting them in (dipping) and taking them back out. With that said I will tell you that I have a coin that someone is going to immediately pick up from a cache that I physically put it in the cache and make them take it out as it becomes there decision whether to take it or not. One the few ocassions that I have dipped a coin/TB through a cache I have physically put said trackable in the cache container and taken it back out. Dipping caches without physically even taking them with you to me is the same as logging a find on a cache that you did not sign the cache log.

I have a coin that I dip into every cache I find except of course earthcaches. I use it to track my own caching mileage. I don't see a problem with doing that at all and many people do that. I don't know why someone would want to dip in 100 though. How would you know if one dipped coin like mine was actually in my pocket and I took it out, put it in the cache container for a few seconds and then took it out again. Do you ask everyone who dips a coin whether or not they actually had the coin with them that day? What difference does that make?

I have a coin that I dip into every cache I find except of course earthcaches. I use it to track my own caching mileage. I don't see a problem with doing that at all and many people do that. I don't know why someone would want to dip in 100 though. How would you know if one dipped coin like mine was actually in my pocket and I took it out, put it in the cache container for a few seconds and then took it out again. Do you ask everyone who dips a coin whether or not they actually had the coin with them that day? What difference does that make?

I am perfectly fine with someone that uses one coin as a tracker for the caches that they visited but what is the need to do that with hundreds of them. Furthermore, they do it with other peoples trackables that they have in their possession. My person thought is that a travel bug should be picked up at a cache and dropped at another cache and not dipped in 100 caches along the way. I don't give a flip that you picked up my TB and stopped in 100 parking lots along the way before dropping it somewhere else. Personally if they did it with one of my trackables I would ask them to just place it in a cache and nto dip it in every cache for a month or two before dropping it.

Dipping a coin is a fine way to keep a record of your travels and I think it is a great idea. If five coins come along and are actually with you, then that is fine too. All I ask is that the logs accurately reflect reality. My impression from the original post was that a lot of the dipping was pure fantasy.

Edited by GregsonVaux

As I have written before, I am a huge fan of the way that tracking numbers create a history. If the history is not accurate, it harms the whole system. What is the point of tracking numbers anyway, if they are just lies?

I'm making the assumption that the cacher dipping the coins actually has them and that would be their history.

I am perfectly fine with someone that uses one coin as a tracker for the caches that they visited but what is the need to do that with hundreds of them. Furthermore, they do it with other peoples trackables that they have in their possession. My person thought is that a travel bug should be picked up at a cache and dropped at another cache and not dipped in 100 caches along the way. I don't give a flip that you picked up my TB and stopped in 100 parking lots along the way before dropping it somewhere else. Personally if they did it with one of my trackables I would ask them to just place it in a cache and nto dip it in every cache for a month or two before dropping it.

I think that once you stop and think objectively about this situation, and listen to what others who own trackables think about it, you'll find that you're in the minority on this one. I have several trackables that I've now held for well over a year, and have dipped into probably around 100 caches or so. And I continue to get others asking me to do the same with theirs, and I continue to get thank you notes from those whose coin I'm already carrying.

If someone who has interesting travels grabs my coin and wants to give it a ride, I'm all for it. Nothing wrong with that at all, in my opinion.

As I have written before, I am a huge fan of the way that tracking numbers create a history. If the history is not accurate, it harms the whole system. What is the point of tracking numbers anyway, if they are just lies?

I'm making the assumption that the cacher dipping the coins actually has them and that would be their history.

I do not know these people so am not sure. I am going to venture a guess that they are not going along to the caches. The one with 375 trackables is a micro and the one person dipped 300 of them give or take and I am guessing he is not walking around with that with him. Also the other cache that the person dipped all the coins in is my cache and they did a loop of my caches that day that is I believe 8-9 miles. If they did carry them that far all day long for what purpose?

The only harm I can see (apart from it being an inaccurate way to track TBs) is the spam it generates for everyone who owns or is watching those caches. If only a few people dip their collections in a few of your caches (or one you're watching) one day, that could generate 1000s emails for you.

I think that once you stop and think objectively about this situation, and listen to what others who own trackables think about it, you'll find that you're in the minority on this one. I have several trackables that I've now held for well over a year, and have dipped into probably around 100 caches or so. And I continue to get others asking me to do the same with theirs, and I continue to get thank you notes from those whose coin I'm already carrying.

If someone who has interesting travels grabs my coin and wants to give it a ride, I'm all for it. Nothing wrong with that at all, in my opinion.

So because I am in the minority my ideas do not count? I think you are the one that needs to objectively think about the situation. I have never seen anybody's trackable say they want to travel from cache. Without looking I am going to guess that you have at least one Jeep Travel Bug in your possession on your online inventory.

I agree, I can't imagine why on earth someone would want to do this but don't see the harm in it. Like LadyBee I personally have 1 coin I do this with. IMOP unless someone is doing something to cause harm, Cache and let Cache.

<<< Slic >>>

The only harm I can see (apart from it being an inaccurate way to track TBs) is the spam it generates for everyone who owns or is watching those caches. If only a few people dip their collections in a few of your caches (or one you're watching) one day, that could generate 1000s emails for you.

Hum, I thought the visiting log didn't send out any emails.

I must go back and look in my caching folder in my email to see if that is correct or not.

Hum, I thought the visiting log didn't send out any emails.

I must go back and look in my caching folder in my email to see if that is correct or not.

I see what you mean, yes I think you are correct. I get mails for coin drops, retrievals and notes of caches I'm watching, so if they were dipped as part of just one log, that would be just one email. I was a bit confused and imagining each coin/TB being dipped with a separate note!

Back to the OP's main point then, it being about the inaccuracy of the cache and TB's histories.

I have had some of my trackables picked up by people who have then dipped them in cache after cache. At first it was a bit disconcerting, but the cachers were travelling around and actually visiting these caches, not just dipping my coins in caches they went to in the past (that would be a bit odd, and I wouldn't want that to happen to all our coins.) Now though, those cachers have dropped my TBs off and others have picked them up and taken them elsewhere. I think it's great that they have such a rich history. I have one coin which travelled right around the world in just a few hops (each cacher dropping off, no dipping) and that is fun, and nice to have in our inventory, but I do like to read about the favourite caches some people select to dip our coins in, the places they go to on holiday, the best ones near their home, or when a group of friends passes one of our coins around to each dip on a caching trip they all like. that is just as much caching history to us.

So because I am in the minority my ideas do not count?

Logging a traveler through a cache it never visited is virtual logging. This whole, 'what does it hurt?' is a bunch of hooey Logging your whole collection when it didn't make the trip is wrong.

Now what to do about it? You need to trend the occurrences and also apply peer pressure about the whole point of travelers.

That's about it for now.

I just started dipping a new coin that a received from a contest because I don't want to risk losing it by placing it in a cache and I want to track my miles. So do you think any of the following is wrong:

1. I didn't have the coin on me when I was at a cache although I do carry it sometimes as a good luck charm.

2. I was thinking of logging it as visiting past caches that I have found without physicaly going back to them so I can record all the miles.

3. I will never actually place it in a cache.

I have a TB that someone picked up and dipped in several caches in mexico and I thought that was cool seeing where he had been. The only thing was he brought it back with him and I was hoping he would leave it in mexico.

I just started dipping a new coin that a received from a contest because I don't want to risk losing it by placing it in a cache and I want to track my miles. So do you think any of the following is wrong:

1. I didn't have the coin on me when I was at a cache although I do carry it sometimes as a good luck charm.

2. I was thinking of logging it as visiting past caches that I have found without physically going back to them so I can record all the miles.

I have a TB that someone picked up and dipped in several caches in mexico and I thought that was cool seeing where he had been. The only thing was he brought it back with him and I was hoping he would leave it in mexico.

If you are asking me directly if you are using ONE to track where you have been that is no necessarily a problem. Personally I would not log it in caches I did not have it with me or did not own it before I found the cache but do not see a problem with others doing this with ONE trackable. If you do backlog do have the courtesy to delete your note after drop and retrieve it (another pet peeve). If you delete the note it will not take away the trackables history.

Your point about the Mexico is exactly why people should not dip someone elses caches a hundred times. I can see if you dip it on a road trip and you stop in 5 states but when you get to the destination put it in a cache. Why would you bring it back with you? So that it can lead the same idiotic life as the person holding it?

Lots of different topics being discussed here...

When I pick up trackables, I try to bring them with me to all caches that I visit. If I don't leave them there, I usually log them as visited. Mostly, to show the owner that the trackable is on the move, instead of forgotten at the bottom of a backpack.

I try to drop off trackables as soon as possible (unless I can help their mission in the near future), but sometimes caches are too small, too insecure (likely to get damaged or muggled), or has too few visits for me to drop the trackable there.

Another thing, if you need to backlog a TB drop or visit, you can now do so by editing your original cache log, instead of posting a new note. Very convenient!

So because I am in the minority my ideas do not count? I think you are the one that needs to objectively think about the situation. I have never seen anybody's trackable say they want to travel from cache. Without looking I am going to guess that you have at least one Jeep Travel Bug in your possession on your online inventory.

How old are you? Did you even read my post? There's no where that I said your opinion doesn't count. I simply said that I think you'll find yourself to be in the minority. Because I disagree with you, does that mean MY ideas don't count? Can I put those words in YOUR mouth now? Get a grip. This is hardly going to change the world one way or another, so the anger you're approaching the replies in this thread with is way, way overkill.

And no, pal, wrong. No jeeps. Whatever that has to do with this...

2. I was thinking of logging it as visiting past caches that I have found without physicaly going back to them so I can record all the miles.

As it is a personal tracker basically you are the traveler, so yes you can back log it through caches you have visited before. Since you actually visited the cache you are not virtual logging.

Logging 300 coins would not be a personal traveler.

Why would you bring it back with you? So that it can lead the same idiotic life as the person holding it?

are you serious?...don't you think that comment is quite rude?

First that was about an unknown cacher so how can I be rude to someone I do not even know who they are? It was a rhetorical question meaning what is the point of dipping it in x number of caches someplace else and then bring it back to where you picked it up from?

It was a rhetorical question meaning what is the point of dipping it in x number of caches someplace else and then bring it back to where you picked it up from?

I believe the answer that you're looking for to be: mileage.

I fly all over the place. If I have a coin from right here near my home, and fly it out to New York with me, why shouldn't I dip it in the cache I visited to show that it just traveled not only to New York, but also the ~5k miles I just took it?

Well, there is a disadvantage of the "visited" option that I never thought about.

If this person had to drop and then retrieve one by one, the multiple pick ups would get very tiring VERY quickly.

I like the visited option! It means I can have my mileage traveler visit and I don't have to go and grab it out of the cache like I used to do. Double logging. That was very tiresome and I think that alone caused me to delay a lot of caching logs. For me it was a disadvantage to the old system.....

Well, there is a disadvantage of the "visited" option that I never thought about.

If this person had to drop and then retrieve one by one, the multiple pick ups would get very tiring VERY quickly.

I like the visited option! It means I can have my mileage traveler visit and I don't have to go and grab it out of the cache like I used to do. Double logging. That was very tiresome and I think that alone caused me to delay a lot of caching logs. For me it was a disadvantage to the old system.....

The thing I definitely do NOT like about the visited option is the lack of notification when someone holding your coin uses it. Most of the time when I have a story to tell or pictures to show for a coin at a cache, I drop it and pick it up so I know the owner will at least get notification of the activity.

I like visited also. want it to stay. etc. Just realized how much harder it would be for a person with a gazillion coins if visit wasn't an option.

Can see the OP point on this quite well. I recently ran a PQ loaded my GPS with the info and then headed out to find some caches. Several description pages were clogged with TB or coin "dips" instead of useful logs from previous finders. While this seems worthless if you want to find a cache based solely on the details and description, sometimes the found/not found logs can be used to help find a cache that is escaping discovery. I see no problem dipping coins or Tb for mileage, but IMHO would love to see them get accompanied by a found or DNF log.

I have never seen anybody's trackable say they want to travel from cache (to cache).

Many of our trackables say they want to travel from cache to cache. (We don't have a Jeep either.) We love watching them and seeing where they go. We don't care if one person takes them on a caching trip and logs them as they travel. In fact, we find that interesting. We do the same with certain coins, depending on their goal. I just learned that "visiting" doesn't send them the log we created. That's too bad, but at least they can see it's still traveling. Now I'll start dipping when we go to an interesting cache with it.

I don't see the point in logging 100 coins as you travel. That doesn't make sense, but I doubt that there are ten geocachers that do this. Certainly not enough to create a "knee-jerk" rule to regulate it.