Garmin 200 - is it worth it?

I really need a paperless gps before we go on a trip next week and I still don't have enough money for a 450t or 550t. I saw the Oregon 200 refurbished for only 170 dollars and I recently bought a Venture HC for 100 dollars but I didn't realize it wasn't paperless. I know the 200 is an older unit but so is the HC. Is the 200 worth buying right now for the cheap price? Will I be happy with it for the next couple months while I am on the other end of the country? I really want to spend some time finding geocaches out where I am going and right now I don't have time to save up the money to get a really nice GPS.

Thanks.

$170! That is way too much money.

I am unable to respond to your question Re: paperless caching because I never used it for caching.

But, if you are interested I will sell you my Garmin 200 including the original packaging and the latest U.S. map for $50. If you are interested and live in the San Francisco Bay Area you can come by my home and pick it up. If I have to mail it add $10.

Perfect condition, original owner.

Questions: barrikady AT gmail.com

How long will it take you to ship it to NC?

I'm leaving early next week...

I went for the 300, on the basis of more memory...

The Oregon 200 is a low memory version with 24MB of internal memory with a preloaded Americas basemap, no compass, no barometric altimeter, no Elevation Plot, no wireless transfer, no audio, no alarm clock, no Sight' N Go, and no NMEA 0183 (Spanner) support. The 200 also comes with a lanyard instead of the carabiner clip which the other models come with.

The Oregon 300 has 1GB (~850MB free) of internal memory and a preloaded world basemap. The compass, altimeter, wireless transfer, audio, alarm, Sight' N Go, and NMEA 0183 support are added over the 200. The 300 is about $50 more expensive than the 200.

From: http://garminoregon.wikispaces.com/Product+Information

Good?

Early days I preferred the Map60CXs, but at each update the 300 got better.

As good as the 60? Well, paperless and maps make a difference, field notes are a bonus, and it's almost as accurate!

Edited by Bear and Ragged

Personally I think $170 is too much money as well. However, at $60 shipped (if it weren't rescinded) I'd buy it in a heartbeat if I didn't have the 300 already. It has a micro SD slot so memory is not an issue. What it lacks is the compass, barometer and ANT+ (meaning no chirp caches).

Ok, seriously, on amazon a lot of people said this gps isn't very good. Is it? I know its old but I have no clue how good/bad it is!

There are a total of 8 reviews. 4 of them 5 stars, one each for 4, 3, 2, and 1 stars. Are we looking at the same site?

Here's the geocaching.com review :

http://www.geocaching.com/reviews/gps_garmin_oregon-200

604 reviews, average 4 stars (out of 5).

I really need a paperless gps before we go on a trip next week and I still don't have enough money for a 450t or 550t. I saw the Oregon 200 refurbished for only 170 dollars and I recently bought a Venture HC for 100 dollars but I didn't realize it wasn't paperless. I know the 200 is an older unit but so is the HC. Is the 200 worth buying right now for the cheap price? Will I be happy with it for the next couple months while I am on the other end of the country? I really want to spend some time finding geocaches out where I am going and right now I don't have time to save up the money to get a really nice GPS.

Thanks.

Personally I would pass on a Oregon 200 unless you can get it for a really good price. At this point it is a discontinued product and I doubt there will be any future updates from Garmin. I would go with either a Oregon 450, or if you wanna save a few bucks the Dakota 20. It is very similar to the Oregon and I like it a lot. The other option is wait a couple months for the new Garmin etrex units to come out. They will be more inexpensive and have paperless capabilities.

(Dakota 20) It is very similar to the Oregon and I like it a lot.

Significant lower resolution and a smaller screen. 2000 caches instead of 5000 on the 450. Some prefer the smaller size though. And I've heard some say that the lower pixel density on the screen makes it brighter.

Edited by Chrysalides

Personally I would pass on a Oregon 200 unless you can get it for a really good price. At this point it is a discontinued product and I doubt there will be any future updates from Garmin. I would go with either a Oregon 450, or if you wanna save a few bucks the Dakota 20. It is very similar to the Oregon and I like it a lot. The other option is wait a couple months for the new Garmin etrex units to come out. They will be more inexpensive and have paperless capabilities.

I have a Oregon-200 and it's a fine unit. Certainly a steal for under $100 if it's in good condition.

All you need to do is add the Ibycus maps to it (use the SD card) and you're all set.

I have an Oregon 200 and it is very nice. I don't worry about memory too much because you can put what you need on a SD card. It is very accurate and very easy to use. I have used it through out the great state of Minnesota without a problem while fishing, ice fishing, trail hiking, geocaching, and many other adventures.