Co-Ords in IPhone Geocaching App

It is appreciated with an IPhone that one has the ability to place a co-ord into the Maps App and go to Satellite map and then be able to walk to GZ. However, in the Geocaching App for the IPhone which one has purchased if one goes to 'Navigate to' it asks for address, GC Code or Postcode, but your doing a Multi Cache so how can you simply place in the co-ords that have been produced from whatever clues? Any advice? <_< <_< <_<

Slightly related... Not worthy of another thread.

I add waypoints and notes to caches all the time. Once I've found a cache, it disappears from my PQs and so also the phone no longer store that cache.

I clear saved maps and cached data everyday.

A week or six later I download my finds PQ, and as if by magic, my notes and waypoints are back!

Any way of getting rid of this data?

Natty - I think you'll fnd they're on the cache page in your personal notes. You should be able to delete them from there.

Assuming you're downloading the MyFinds PQ to the PC then why worry about it? Do you have your finds in a separate GSAK database?

Err... No GSAK... No PC capable of running it.

This is the app... I can add notes to a cache in the PQ. I can add waypoints too. I can delete the PQ, clear cached data... And next time I look at the cache, the waypoints and notes are magically back. All well and good, if you want the data back... But if you want to delete it? Can do it manually waypoint by waypoint... But can't find a way to clear the lot.

Of course it's amusing that I can clear the cache of cache data.

Here's a question - is there any way to limit the amount of battery that the Geocache app uses on my iphone 3GS? I can pop out to look for a couple of nanos in town, spend an hour and wipe out easily half the battery life.

Any hints appreciated!

Close all other apps, assuming you're running iOS 4

Turn off wifi

Add caches to favourites before you go, save maps and photos.

Turn off mobile networking

Keep phone on charge whilst driving

Run app in car whilst still plugged in, select cache, navigate to, have a look at map, then switch to compass. Now you know where and how far you're going.

Lock phone and leave car.

The skill you need to develop is good estimation of how far away from something you are. If you learn to pick something out to walk to that is, say 0.1 miles away, the phone can stay locked for a while.

Unlock phone when you're close/at a point you picked to walk to... See how far you are away now, and then lock and walk again. Repeat until you're within 50feet (assuming you have the accuracy)

On a half mile walk, the above can save you a lot of battery... Location services do not run in the official app with the screen locked.

If going for more than one cache, make sure you have a PQ that covers all of the caches you're likely to go to downloaded before you leave home... Getting a big PQ over mobile Internet takes ages and eats battery.

If you can, plan every cache you're likely to do. The PQ feature is good, but ideally you want to download all maps and photos before you leave home, so you can keep all data services off. So don't rely on the PQ, go through it.

Edited by NattyBooshka

Here's a question - is there any way to limit the amount of battery that the Geocache app uses on my iphone 3GS? I can pop out to look for a couple of nanos in town, spend an hour and wipe out easily half the battery life.

Any hints appreciated!

Yes - get a GPS!

Sorry! Not being rude. The advice above is fine - unfortunately the iPhone sucks the battery dry. Or just remove the last three words of that sentence!

Chris

Graculus

Volunteer UK Reviewer for geocaching.com

UK Geocaching Information & Resources website www.follow-the-arrow.co.uk

Geocaching.com Knowledge Books

LMAO

Actually my 3Gs can survive a full day with the tips above... The 4 could probably do 2. As I have upto 3 iPhones and 2 GPSr units on a hunt, battery life really doesn't worry me. The iPhone can do my logging so I can get into the real business of drinking ale & wine when I get home. I got the 4 for free... So if you add it to the £60 GPSr I have, it does everything and more that any dedicated unit does... And I have saved £500 quid... More if you think that my sat nav isnt really needed.

So... iPhone rocks :P