Mission 9 Project Ape cache missing

Al 7365

Frankly, those that live in the Pacific Northwest are already getting benefits from Groundspeak that are just not realistically obtainable for most geocachers and to make a special case about a cache because it's relatively close to Groundspeak HQ is just not something that I would condone.

Name these benefits.

Another two-cents from the mind of RayQix....

Being myself and two-others had attempted this... and we didn't even realize that it was there until we'd already been in the area to visit The Original Plaque and GS HQ, we decided that we'd try to make the attempt at a later date.

Now, some almost 9 months later, it's Archived.

Again, it's not about the final Destination, but the Journey of the hunt.

IF... the "rumor" is true that they are "doing something special"... maybe that's part of it. Maybe there will be a new series of "APE Caches" around the world...Again.

Maybe this was the opportunity to bring the APE caches to the forefront of many cachers mindsets.... to see how much interest there would be in one...or more.

I dont know. What other movie tie-in has had THIS kind of impact, or response from anyone, especially in Geocaching?

I dont think many... if any.

I'd like to see Webcam Caches return...as well as Virtuals (Sorry, it's not the same for them to be Waymarking items. It's not as fun and there's not an icon).

Many places and things could be good for both of those...and they're getting rare by the day too.

It's unfortunately up to a few folks that have the control... on whether this thing gets returned, replaced, or at the worst, NOTHING happens to it.

I don't like it.... but if I want to play the game of Geocaching, it's what i will live with.

Thank you for reading two-and-a-half out of three of my cents.

RayQix, Metro Detroit, Michigan.

-- peace out--

For me it is not realistic to find a cache for which I would have to fly to Sao Paulo in the most dangerous city in the world and to drive another 5 hours to find the "one" cache. To cache in Sao Paulo is not an option and at "Southern Bowl" there is far and wide no other cache ...

So it is only realistic for the locals to find Southern Bowl, for most of the other simply is not affordable to fly to Brazil for this one cache.

Many People would come to Seattle to find many great old Caches and "Mission 9" was and is a part of this.

I think the time has made "Mission 9" to something special. It was the last of the APE... realistic to find for all. In my opinion this fact justifies, definitely let him back to life!

I disagree. Yes, it may be unrealistic for many to travel to Brazil to find Southern Bowl, but it's also just not that feasible for many to travel to Seattle, even for those that live in the same country. A round trip airfare from where I live to Seattle runs about $400. That's for one person. Hotel for just a couple of nights adds at $300 or so.. Add a rent car for $150 or so. Add food and other incidentals and you're approaching $1000 just to find a few geocaches.

Frankly, those that live in the Pacific Northwest are already getting benefits from Groundspeak that are just not realistically obtainable for most geocachers and to make a special case about a cache because it's relatively close to Groundspeak HQ is just not something that I would condone.

For me it is not realistic to find a cache for which I would have to fly to Sao Paulo in the most dangerous city in the world and to drive another 5 hours to find the "one" cache. To cache in Sao Paulo is not an option and at "Southern Bowl" there is far and wide no other cache ...

So it is only realistic for the locals to find Southern Bowl, for most of the other simply is not affordable to fly to Brazil for this one cache.

Many People would come to Seattle to find many great old Caches and "Mission 9" was and is a part of this.

I think the time has made "Mission 9" to something special. It was the last of the APE... realistic to find for all. In my opinion this fact justifies, definitely let him back to life!

I disagree. Yes, it may be unrealistic for many to travel to Brazil to find Southern Bowl, but it's also just not that feasible for many to travel to Seattle, even for those that live in the same country. A round trip airfare from where I live to Seattle runs about $400. That's for one person. Hotel for just a couple of nights adds at $300 or so.. Add a rent car for $150 or so. Add food and other incidentals and you're approaching $1000 just to find a few geocaches.

For $ 1,000 I get not even a one-way ticket to Sao Paulo! And since you can find only one box.

In Seattle and Portland you can find many good caches. This is a huge difference. It is expensive. But Sao Paule bears no relation to Seattle!

For example, I have to pay about $ 3,000 for "Southern Bowl" to find (flight, hotel, food, car). I am from Germany. I would maybe even be willing to pay for this when I can spend a great time and I get to see much.

But I certainly do not pay $ 3,000 for "Southern Bowl" to find and then fly home.

AnhörenUmschrift

Frankly, those that live in the Pacific Northwest are already getting benefits from Groundspeak that are just not realistically obtainable for most geocachers

And what would those benefits be? As far as I can tell Groundspeak treats us the same way as anyone else. So if you are not liking special treatment for one, bring them all back... there's a new movie out. :D

Oh yeah? What about the spa at Groundspeak headquarters that is only open to premium members with a Washington drivers license? And how about when they bought every geocacher in Washington a brand new DeLoreme PN60?

Edited by briansnat

Frankly, those that live in the Pacific Northwest are already getting benefits from Groundspeak that are just not realistically obtainable for most geocachers

And what would those benefits be? As far as I can tell Groundspeak treats us the same way as anyone else. So if you are not liking special treatment for one, bring them all back... there's a new movie out. :D

Oh yeah? What about the spa at Groundspeak headquarters that is only open to premium members with a Washington drivers license? And how about when they bought every geocacher in Washington a brand new DeLoreme PN60?

Where is it? I still haven't received it... :anibad:

Well.... since now there is talk of something new for APE..... maybe the NEW will qualify for the Triad.

Either that... or we make our own?

Wow, what a concept! :)

Why should all of the caches in the triad be in the same region. Make the "new" triad Groundspeak HQ, the Original Location plaque, and Mingo....oops, maybe that might not work so well either.

Yeah, i saw that someone grabbed Mingo... and someone else fixed that.

That.... is the way it should be. We all love this game...and we all dont want to see things like this go by the wayside.

Hopfeully this will get figured out soon.

For $ 1,000 I get not even a one-way ticket to Sao Paulo! And since you can find only one box.

In Seattle and Portland you can find many good caches. This is a huge difference. It is expensive. But Sao Paule bears no relation to Seattle!

For example, I have to pay about $ 3,000 for "Southern Bowl" to find (flight, hotel, food, car). I am from Germany. I would maybe even be willing to pay for this when I can spend a great time and I get to see much.

But I certainly do not pay $ 3,000 for "Southern Bowl" to find and then fly home.

AnhörenUmschrift

We all cache for our own reasons. Personally, I wouldn't care if I found "many good caches" if I happened to travel to Seattle. On the day that someone claimed a new world record for the number of finds on the now defunct Trail of the Goods I wouldn't have traded that for the one cache I found at the entrance to Mikumi National Park in Tanzania, or the two caches I found on a trip to China last October (one was on the Great Wall).

I *did* say that a trip to Brazil would just not be feasible for most people. I wasn't trying to compare Seattle to Sao Paulo, but just wanted to point out that for what is probably a really high percentage of geocachers, a trip to Seattle is beyond their budget of many as well. Just for kicks I checked airfares for where I live to Sao Paulo. Best fare I saw was $1086. So, for about $600 more I could go to Brazil (which actually has more geocaches than I would have expected) or I could go to Seattle and get the GS HQ and Original Stash plaque (plus other caches if I was so inclined). Frankly, for the difference in price, I'd probably rather go to Brazil.

AnhörenUmschrift

We all cache for our own reasons. Personally, I wouldn't care if I found "many good caches" if I happened to travel to Seattle. On the day that someone claimed a new world record for the number of finds on the now defunct Trail of the Goods I wouldn't have traded that for the one cache I found at the entrance to Mikumi National Park in Tanzania, or the two caches I found on a trip to China last October (one was on the Great Wall).

I *did* say that a trip to Brazil would just not be feasible for most people. I wasn't trying to compare Seattle to Sao Paulo, but just wanted to point out that for what is probably a really high percentage of geocachers, a trip to Seattle is beyond their budget of many as well. Just for kicks I checked airfares for where I live to Sao Paulo. Best fare I saw was $1086. So, for about $600 more I could go to Brazil (which actually has more geocaches than I would have expected) or I could go to Seattle and get the GS HQ and Original Stash plaque (plus other caches if I was so inclined). Frankly, for the difference in price, I'd probably rather go to Brazil.

I understand you already. I think my view is because I'm from Europe. For me, Seattle and Portland are still cities where I really want to cache and "Mission 9" has just always heard it. Its simply became a special Cache over the years on a special location.

It's just a pity that a man comes and steals the cache and wins. This must not happen!

It's just a pity that a man comes and steals the cache and wins. This must not happen!

I'm pretty sure he was shooting for "being a pain in the butt", making Moun10Bike haul himself up there a few times a year to replace the container or parts of it. But he unexpectedly got "get Groundspeak to archive the cache and make countless cachers really upset."

It's like found money. He's probably giggling himself to sleep at his good fortune.

I'm pretty sure he was shooting for "being a pain in the butt", making Moun10Bike haul himself up there a few times a year to replace the container or parts of it. But he unexpectedly got "get Groundspeak to archive the cache and make countless cachers really upset."

It's like found money. He's probably giggling himself to sleep at his good fortune.

Well, that may as well be, but I have a voodoo doll and have issued several curses which say otherwise. :ph34r:

And what would those benefits be?

I know that when they introduced a unique icon for the Lost and Found party at their Seattle offices last year, some people, especially those who like to collect icons, were a little bummed.

It's a tough thing to complain about because it's easy to get mocked for caring about icons. Groundspeak as of late seems to not be impressed with people who care about icons... but on the other hand, it's not entirely clear to me why they bothered to create a new icon for the event if it wasn't because they thought people would want it.

Little stuff like that. I was lucky enough to be at the event, but I could understand why avid geocachers racking up hides and finds and otherwise contributing to the game in the Old Country felt like they hadn't been heard.

I think he probably expected it to get archived. Thats what happens to APE caches when they are stolen. If it had been a traditional, he might have been surprised, but what actually happened was to be expected.

I think he knew exactly what he was doing and what the likely outcome would be, and he's been reading this thread and getting a good chuckle over the grief Grounspeak has received.

I think he probably expected it to get archived. Thats what happens to APE caches when they are stolen. If it had been a traditional, he might have been surprised, but what actually happened was to be expected.
I think he knew exactly what he was doing and what the likely outcome would be, and he's been reading this thread and getting a good chuckle over the grief Grounspeak has received.

I may be in a small minority on this, but I actually was surprised that the cache got archived. I knew about the precedents, but I thought things had morphed in the last few years (and I also thought people would be very reluctant to give the vandal what he wanted). It was just a few months ago that Groundspeak adopted the OSTP cache; I was thinking there was a bit of a high-level movement to protect and preserve some of these early iconic listings.

This isn't an argument in favor or or against what happened, just me saying that I would have been wrong if I'd bet on it.

Based on his Facebook post today it looks like the end of the trail for the Ape caches.

Jeremy Irish

We were working on bringing a new series of caches back for the new movie, Rise of the Planet of the Apes, but decided against it. Instead, with the exception of the Brazil Project APE cache, we are closing the chapter on Project APE. Lack of support by FOX, angst over devaluing the original caches and the ape theme being unrelated to geocaching were several factors for us making this decision.

Based on his Facebook post today it looks like the end of the trail for the Ape caches.

Jeremy Irish

We were working on bringing a new series of caches back for the new movie, Rise of the Planet of the Apes, but decided against it. Instead, with the exception of the Brazil Project APE cache, we are closing the chapter on Project APE. Lack of support by FOX, angst over devaluing the original caches and the ape theme being unrelated to geocaching were several factors for us making this decision.

Actually, he posted that yesterday morning, and here are his followup posts, which provide a bit more intel:

Jeremy Irish

We're going to honor the tunnel for our "replace virtuals" project. The lack of the Project APE geocache doesn't diminish the fun of hiking through the train tunnel, which finally opens back up in July.

The "Tunnel of Light" (Snoqualmie Tunnel) will be the first release of the "replace virtuals" project, and will be featured in our Aug. 21 Going APE...All Over Again event, part of the Block Party mega-event weekend.

Jeremy Irish

For those who plan on visiting the NW, change your plans if the icon is your only reason for coming. If it isn't the only reason, we'd love to see you in Seattle on August 20th. I'd also suggest going through the 2.3 mile long train tunnel near the Project APE cache because it is cool, not because the cache was there. The tunnel officially opens in July after being closed for 2 years, and was the reason why Jon and I chose the location.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snoqualmie_Tunnel

It's too bad that geocachers today can't find an APE cache unless they go to Brazil, but the APE caches had to be retired at some point. For almost 10 years there was a cache here in Seattle. Sometimes we need to accept that things come to an end and move on.

Edited by hydnsek

And what would those benefits be?

I know that when they introduced a unique icon for the Lost and Found party at their Seattle offices last year, some people, especially those who like to collect icons, were a little bummed.

It's a tough thing to complain about because it's easy to get mocked for caring about icons. Groundspeak as of late seems to not be impressed with people who care about icons... but on the other hand, it's not entirely clear to me why they bothered to create a new icon for the event if it wasn't because they thought people would want it.

Little stuff like that.

Yes, I agree that it's little stuff. A couple of other things...

Groundspeak hosted events in general. I believe that there is a Groundspeak block party or something like that this year.

Nine out of ten of the souvenirs in the "Special Souvenirs" category are in the Pacific Northwest. The other one is the 10/10/10 souvenir which almost everyone got that one.

Jeremy Irish

Actually, he posted that yesterday morning, and here are his followup posts, which provide a bit more intel:

Jeremy Irish

We're going to honor the tunnel for our "replace virtuals" project. The lack of the Project APE geocache doesn't diminish the fun of hiking through the train tunnel, which finally opens back up in July.

The "Tunnel of Light" (Snoqualmie Tunnel) will be the first release of the "replace virtuals" project, and will be featured in our Aug. 21 Going APE...All Over Again event, part of the Block Party mega-event weekend.

Jeremy Irish

For those who plan on visiting the NW, change your plans if the icon is your only reason for coming. If it isn't the only reason, we'd love to see you in Seattle on August 20th. I'd also suggest going through the 2.3 mile long train tunnel near the Project APE cache because it is cool, not because the cache was there. The tunnel officially opens in July after being closed for 2 years, and was the reason why Jon and I chose the location.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snoqualmie_Tunnel

It's too bad that geocachers today can't find an APE cache unless they go to Brazil, but the APE caches had to be retired at some point. For almost 10 years there was a cache here in Seattle. Sometimes we need to accept that things come to an end and move on.

Yes, but his follow-ups have to do with the new virts and the first new one being the tunnel.

My point was that all but the Brazil Ape cache are gone for good. Y'all may have known that, but it was the first time I had seen Jeremy state it for certain.

Wow.

So all the APE caches are gone for good... except for Brazil.

This game... this silly, addictive game... taking a strange twist indeed.

Anyone want to do a series dedicated to the demise of the APE caches?

Are there any out there now?

What happens when any -other- cache gets damaged.... we usually repair it.

But those aren't the APE caches... are they?

I'm in the process of making a tribute cache for the A.P.E here in Helena, Montana. I managed to get the same type of ammo can, and getting some movie stuff off ebay and now deciding on placement. I know it won't be as nostalgic or as popular, but it's just my tribute to one of the most loved and visited caches. So it should be a great cache even without the A.P.E icon. I was at Geowoodstock last year but due to losing a credit card we couldn't make it to the A.P.E cache, so since I couldn't get it, I thought a tribute cache would be cool.

I hope that if they don't replace it, they put a plaque like the original Stash.

MontanaScarecrow,

Helena, Montana

...For those who plan on visiting the NW, change your plans if the icon is your only reason for coming. If it isn't the only reason, we'd love to see you in Seattle on August 20th. I'd also suggest going through the 2.3 mile long train tunnel near the Project APE cache because it is cool, not because the cache was there. The tunnel officially opens in July after being closed for 2 years, and was the reason why Jon and I chose the location.

Well said Jeremy.

Well said Jeremy.

Yup. Not too shabby. Except for the "change your plans if the icon is your only reason for coming" comment. Had Jeremy been paying even the slightest bit of attention to this thread, he would know that many folks who would have liked to have had the chance to log that cache were wanting to do so for more than just the icon. I guess it's necessary to minimize the desires of those you are going to disappoint. Once you label those desires as insignificant, it makes them easier to squash. Another lesson from Sun Tzu? :unsure:

Well said Jeremy.

Yup. Not too shabby. Except for the "change your plans if the icon is your only reason for coming" comment. Had Jeremy been paying even the slightest bit of attention to this thread, he would know that many folks who would have liked to have had the chance to log that cache were wanting to do so for more than just the icon. I guess it's necessary to minimize the desires of those you are going to disappoint. Once you label those desires as insignificant, it makes them easier to squash. Another lesson from Sun Tzu? :unsure:

No, it's from the old testament story of the golden calf. Although the pharaoh Akhenaten played a big part, along with some eastern influence. :rolleyes:

Well said Jeremy.

If it is "more than just the icon" than the new virtual cache that will be there will give people a chance to log a visit to that particular location. And if people come for the HQ event, they will get an even rarer icon than APE (at least in terms of the limited opportunity to get it). Sadly, that event will mean that I will no longer have a complete icon collection, since we will be in Yellowstone at the time. Groundspeak could have had the party there, or they could have scheduled it at another time. Or they could have an extended party allowing people to get the icon at other times. But no . . . Jeremy did not even consult my schedule (just because I am not a platinum member!) and they are willfully taking away this geocaching opportunity from me so that the icon will forever be out of reach. I feel like Charleton Heston at the end of the original APE movie: "You maniacs! . .. . . . "

But I am looking forward to visiting the tunnel again if there is one of the new virtuals there, particularly if my daughter eventually goes to school near Olympia.

Edited by mulvaney

And my two Commentary (Note) logs to the APE Cache....

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Say it ain't So!

October 16, 2010: Team Peepz (two-thirds anyways) and I made an attempt on this and took the WRONG TRAIL. My fault... got us lost... and back safely to the car again.

Now (6/13/2011)... this really saddens me to know that it's gone.

What can we do to BEG and PLEAD and Donate time and resources to get this one back, anything?

NW 1893.8mi from my home location and not a couple days of Caching goes by that I dont think of how to get back here.

Holy cats.... sad (VERY VERY SAD) to see this one go away. :(

-----------------------

and....

"I second G6's sentiments exactly, especially since i've been to the area and we didn't get it in October, and the fact that i know of the plans that G6 has made to get this one Iconic Cache.

This isn't some small Park-n-Grab thing, this is an APE cache that can be fixed, rather than archived.

Yes, it's a game... but many MANY people are passionate about it and especially THIS one.

It's not about the Triad, or the Icon, it's the point that this does not and did not have to be Archived. It can be fixed.

It's only a piece of "tupperware in the woods" (or in this case, an Ammo Can, or whatever replaces it), but it's important to too-many-geocachers...including myself... because it -is- a challenge.

Please, dont let this get-away. It would be like Archiving the Original Stash Plaque. Ya just "dont do it".

"

Hmmm...

My note I left after it went bye-bye was deleted. I wonder if they are going to delete the notes and migrate the old logs to the new virtual?

It looks like all those old notes have been deleted...

First time having a log deleted! Doubt it was the nature of the notes, considering mine was pretty benign and just mentioned giving it a favorite point and that I'm glad I had a chance to find it.

My note I left after it went bye-bye was deleted. I wonder if they are going to delete the notes and migrate the old logs to the new virtual?

First time having a log deleted! Doubt it was the nature of the notes, considering mine was pretty benign and just mentioned giving it a favorite point and that I'm glad I had a chance to find it.

Jon deleted all the notes to clean up the page, since they are not Find logs but more of a commentary belonging in the forums (i.e., this thread). Mine got deleted too. Logs for the archived cache will not be migrated anywhere, since any new cache, real or virtual, will be a new find experience.

Edited by hydnsek

My note I left after it went bye-bye was deleted. I wonder if they are going to delete the notes and migrate the old logs to the new virtual?

Jon deleted all the notes to clean up the page, since they are not Find logs but more of a commentary belonging in the forums (i.e., this thread). Mine got deleted too. Logs for the archived cache will not be migrated anywhere, since any new cache, real or virtual, will be a new find experience.

Ah I see. thanks for setting me straight. Edited by d+n.s

They never migrate logs, but I also wanted to point out that my understanding is that the new virtual is NOT at the old location of the APE Cache, it's at the Tunnel.

Edited by Hypnopaedia

My note I left after it went bye-bye was deleted. I wonder if they are going to delete the notes and migrate the old logs to the new virtual?

They never migrate logs, but I also wanted to point out that my understanding is that the new virtual is NOT at the old location of the APE Cache, it's at the Tunnel.

Interesting.

How do people know so much about this?

Interesting.

I am starting to get the impression that a lot of the information has been revealed on other social media sites like Facebook and Twitter. I haven't seen any of this stuff on geocaching.com or the Groundspeak blog, or by lackeys posting in the forums. I could be missing it though.

Interesting.

I am starting to get the impression that a lot of the information has been revealed on other social media sites like Facebook and Twitter. I haven't seen any of this stuff on geocaching.com or the Groundspeak blog, or by lackeys posting in the forums. I could be missing it though.

Other social media sites? No, no, no... a thousand times no! GC.com is NOT a social media site!

Other social media sites? No, no, no... a thousand times no! GC.com is NOT a social media site!

Don't tell Groundspeak :)

It's one of the world's fastest growing live, recreational social media activities.

Social media doesn't equal social networking. The latter is just a subset of the former.

So in reading through all the people who keep on talking about how someone should just drop an ammo can out there and publish a tribute cache. I wasn't going to post anything but this is killing me. 3 or 4 months ago, when the lid went missing for the first time, I dropped a holding tag on the APE cache coords because I had 10 120mm ammo cans from a pallet I had bought, and was afraid the APE thief would take the whole thing come spring and the old APE Archive rule would drop. Soon after it was archived I e-mailed a reviewer and let them know my intentions if Groundspeak or Moun10bike choose not to do anything and was told to give them some time (Which I completely understood I would be told, and rightly so.) I have the 120mm Ammo Can almost ready to go with the original markings along with a Moun10bike coin I will be attaching to the lid like the original (Took me a long time to get that coin, and I got from a cache). I also have a chain a bolt cutter can't cut. I am prepared to go through the process to get the permit, I live in the area and am single, have no kids, and have plenty of time to go through the process. I hope Groundspeak simply chooses to reverse their decision and unarchive it, but if neither Groundspeak nor Moun10bike choose to do anything with it long term, I will have a can up there as fast as I can.

Please note I e-mailed Moun10bike as soon as it was Disabled and offered him 5 of the Ammo Cans, my 1# preference in this is to see the cache unarchived, I'm just not sure that's likely to happen.

I would make other plans for your containers. Groundspeak most definitely has plans to do something with the APE location; all will be revealed around the time of Going APE event; attendees will be the first to benefit. B) I've been told to say no more yet. :ph34r:

I am certainly glad I did not follow that advice. :P

http://www.podcacher.com/2011/07/show-326-0-ape-and-wolf/

Skip to 29:22 for the info that is VERY pertinent to this discussion.

Edited by Hypnopaedia

So here's an update on the spot and an explanation of why I knew what was happening to the spot earlier in this thread. I'm placing a tribute cache (With Groundspeak and Moun10bike permission) at the old A.P.E. Cache site on the Iron Horse Trail, tentatively named "Mission 9: Tunnel of Light Reclaimed" . It will be a 120mm Ammo Can and as much like the original as possible. I need help mainly with two things. First I need someone who can help me with a better stencil then I've been able to make, here's a picture of the original and on the same page the Podcacher episode announcing the cache:

http://www.podcacher...0-ape-and-wolf/

The second thing I could use help with is the HTML. I'm ok at it but I want to work with the HTML of the original and include it in the tribute cache and it seems to be above my skill level. Additionally I am hoping for people to possibly donate some Planet of the Apes memorabilia and maybe some activated trackables to stock the cache from day one. I have been in touch with the Land Manager and hope to get it placed by the 10 year anniversary of the original placement, 7/18/11. Thanks in advance for any help.

So in reading through all the people who keep on talking about how someone should just drop an ammo can out there and publish a tribute cache. I wasn't going to post anything but this is killing me. 3 or 4 months ago, when the lid went missing for the first time, I dropped a holding tag on the APE cache coords because I had 10 120mm ammo cans from a pallet I had bought, and was afraid the APE thief would take the whole thing come spring and the old APE Archive rule would drop. Soon after it was archived I e-mailed a reviewer and let them know my intentions if Groundspeak or Moun10bike choose not to do anything and was told to give them some time (Which I completely understood I would be told, and rightly so.) I have the 120mm Ammo Can almost ready to go with the original markings along with a Moun10bike coin I will be attaching to the lid like the original (Took me a long time to get that coin, and I got from a cache). I also have a chain a bolt cutter can't cut. I am prepared to go through the process to get the permit, I live in the area and am single, have no kids, and have plenty of time to go through the process. I hope Groundspeak simply chooses to reverse their decision and unarchive it, but if neither Groundspeak nor Moun10bike choose to do anything with it long term, I will have a can up there as fast as I can.

Please note I e-mailed Moun10bike as soon as it was Disabled and offered him 5 of the Ammo Cans, my 1# preference in this is to see the cache unarchived, I'm just not sure that's likely to happen.

I would make other plans for your containers. Groundspeak most definitely has plans to do something with the APE location; all will be revealed around the time of Going APE event; attendees will be the first to benefit. B) I've been told to say no more yet. :ph34r:

Yes, I've heard that your persistence wore them down and they changed their minds from what they'd told me previously. Congrats.

Edited by hydnsek

Yes, I've heard that your persistence wore them down and they changed their minds from what they'd told me previously. Congrats.

Just for the record, I sent two e-mails to Moun10bike over a 2 week period. I truly doubt I had any real effect on their decision.

Just for the record, I sent two e-mails to Moun10bike over a 2 week period. I truly doubt I had any real effect on their decision.

Maybe not, but you are making a great effort for your fellow cachers, and for that, I thank you. I will be at the Going A.P.E. again event, so hopefully I will be able to thank you in person.