Mission 9 Project Ape cache missing

Al 7365

Any suggestions on how to achieve the Trifecta?

Jeremy put it this way (in response to my Triad Cache feedback forum topic:

I would say that the blog post [describing the triad as one of the crowning achievements of caching] was meant to be over the top. Officially it was not a "crowning achievement" since it would have to be an achievement first - which it is not.

People want the monkey icon, if you want to distill the emotion down to one thing. It wasn't the triad. . . its just a by-product of the monkey icon. And the monkey icon is popular because it is rare.

We did acknowledge that many visitors to the pacific northwest choose the three locations (original cache plaque, our HQ and the Project APE cache) to go to on their visit, especially the Project APE cache since it is one of the few places you can get that particular icon. . . . The fact that the caches slowly disappeared because they were removed/stolen/etc. created the scarcity that drove people to find the cache, not the cache itself. Sure, it was a big container but there are far more interesting geocaches you could go to then and can go to today.

I would disagree with Jeremy about whether the APE cache was interesting. The location of Mission 9, walking through the tunnel, and the adventure of getting there made it a unique experience. But I completed all three locations before I heard about the Triad and it was hard to imagine a visit to HQ as an achievement - even if they are nice folks.

If there is nothing to achieve and no official triad, then define it any way you want. I have my own personal triads. To me finding Rainbow Hydrothermal Vents might be a more significant achievement, but that is not something I am likely to do.

Edited by mulvaney

So in reading through all the people who keep on talking about how someone should just drop an ammo can out there and publish a tribute cache. I wasn't going to post anything but this is killing me. 3 or 4 months ago, when the lid went missing for the first time, I dropped a holding tag on the APE cache coords because I had 10 120mm ammo cans from a pallet I had bought, and was afraid the APE thief would take the whole thing come spring and the old APE Archive rule would drop. Soon after it was archived I e-mailed a reviewer and let them know my intentions if Groundspeak or Moun10bike choose not to do anything and was told to give them some time (Which I completely understood I would be told, and rightly so.) I have the 120mm Ammo Can almost ready to go with the original markings along with a Moun10bike coin I will be attaching to the lid like the original (Took me a long time to get that coin, and I got from a cache). I also have a chain a bolt cutter can't cut. I am prepared to go through the process to get the permit, I live in the area and am single, have no kids, and have plenty of time to go through the process. I hope Groundspeak simply chooses to reverse their decision and unarchive it, but if neither Groundspeak nor Moun10bike choose to do anything with it long term, I will have a can up there as fast as I can.

Please note I e-mailed Moun10bike as soon as it was Disabled and offered him 5 of the Ammo Cans, my 1# preference in this is to see the cache unarchived, I'm just not sure that's likely to happen.

Edited by Hypnopaedia
Missing the point of geocaching?

What is the "point" of Geocaching? I suspect it's different for many people. You might absolutely love park & grab caches. For the P&G fan, the "point" could very well be to use a GPSr to find parking lots with film cans hidden in them. Nothing wrong with that. I might like gator infested swamps. For someone like me, the "point" of Geocaching could be to take us somewhere where the critters are big enough to eat you, locating an ammo can along the way. Nothing wrong with that. My friend might be a numbers cacher. For them, the "point" of Geocaching could be racking up as many finds as possible, even if it means mind numbing excursions through Nevada. Nothing wrong with that. Another friend could be an icon junkie. For them, the "point" could be to add as many individual icons to their profile as possible. Nothing wrong with that.

I guess my "point" is, you don't get to decide what the "point" of Geocaching is, for others. Only a presumptuous goober would be so egotistical as to assume their way of play was the only acceptable one. Since the majority of your contributions to these forums don't follow the pattern of the typical patronizing, elitist maroon, I can only assume you're just having a bad day.

Hope tomorrow is better! :)

I would disagree with Jeremy about whether the APE cache was interesting. The location of Mission 9, walking through the tunnel, and the adventure of getting there made it a unique experience.

What? There are no other caches that one could find that requires a walk through the tunnel to the same general areas as the old #9 location? If a cache is placed at the same exact spot, but with a standard icon, wouldn't you have the same experience?

(And for full disclosure, I do not have the icon)

wouldn't you have the same experience?

If the replacement is the same size container, with a similar paint scheme, and gives you the Ape icon, the souvenir, qualifies you for the Trifecta and directly links you into the history of the cache that has drawn folks from around the globe by keeping the same GC number, then I would say "Yes". B)

Please note I e-mailed Moun10bike as soon as it was Disabled and offered him 5 of the Ammo Cans, my 1# preference in this is to see the cache unarchived, I'm just not sure that's likely to happen.

Now that Jeremy has pronounced that Groundspeak's marketing hype, is in fact marketing hype, it is very unlikely that this situation will change.

Jeremy put it this way (in response to my Triad Cache feedback forum topic:

I would say that the blog post [describing the triad as one of the crowning achievements of caching] was meant to be over the top. Officially it was not a "crowning achievement" since it would have to be an achievement first - which it is not.

People want the monkey icon, if you want to distill the emotion down to one thing. It wasn't the triad. . . its just a by-product of the monkey icon. And the monkey icon is popular because it is rare.

We did acknowledge that many visitors to the pacific northwest choose the three locations (original cache plaque, our HQ and the Project APE cache) to go to on their visit, especially the Project APE cache since it is one of the few places you can get that particular icon. . . . The fact that the caches slowly disappeared because they were removed/stolen/etc. created the scarcity that drove people to find the cache, not the cache itself. Sure, it was a big container but there are far more interesting geocaches you could go to then and can go to today.

I find myself wondering why Groundspeak made Mission 9 one of the very first souvenirs they awarded, if the cache is only just about the icon and it's otherwise a somewhat forgettable cache.

As of today, there are still are only three souvenirs you can get for visiting a specific, physical cache.

One is for logging Mission 9. One is for logging Groundspeak HQ. And one is for logging The Original Stash Tribute Plaque Cache.

I'm not following the disconnect between "its just a by-product of the monkey icon" and "there are far more interesting geocaches", vs. it being one of only three cache-specific souvenirs that can be earned. Souvenirs that were created just a few months ago in an entirely top-down, Groundspeak-driven project.

I don't care a thing about the souvenirs and not much about the icons but I really did enjoy going to the APE cache last summer. Washington State is very different from where I live and I thought it was beautiful going up to Snoqualmie Pass. We got drenched in the parking lot after the hike and stopped at a cafe on the way back to grab something to eat and change clothes. We walked in and saw a woman taking a bunch of cherry pies out of the oven. She was setting them out on the counter to cool off and they smelled and looked so wonderful. Nothing to do with the cache or Planet of the Apes but all part of the experience of going there. I guess everyone has some kind of story about their trip there and you can read some of them in the logs. Last winter I went to a geocaching event in London and talked to a German geocacher. He didn't speak much English and I spoke no German but we managed to have a conversation about the APE cache. Not some other more interesting cache but the APE cache, and thousands of miles away from it. I notice that Mission 9 has 728 favorites right now. It really is completely obvious that it is (or was) a special cache to a lot of people. I hope it is resurrected in some form. Mission 10: Resurrection.

wouldn't you have the same experience?

If the replacement is the same size container, with a similar paint scheme, and gives you the Ape icon, the souvenir, qualifies you for the Trifecta and directly links you into the history of the cache that has drawn folks from around the globe by keeping the same GC number, then I would say "Yes". B)

But the GC number, icon and souvenir are not part of the experience. They are after-effects.

I did "The Spot" a couple of years ago on a beautiful November day with a group of friends. I will always remember the *experience* - good friends, a great walk in the woods, terrific views, and delicious BBQ afterward. An icon or souvenir would not have changed that.

And I say the same thing for other trips I have taken. I will always remember the experience of visiting the Grand Canyon, Bryce and Zion with my family. I don't need post cards, little trinkets or photos of the trip. Period.

I think people just need to be honest - they are upset not about the losing of the "experience" - they are upset they can't get the icon.

Actually, there are three other caches between the tunnel exit and the APE cache that are still open for business. One of them (Iron Horse GC79) is from October 2000. I didn't know those were there when I went for the APE since I was on a limited time frame. But there worth going back for.

I would disagree with Jeremy about whether the APE cache was interesting. The location of Mission 9, walking through the tunnel, and the adventure of getting there made it a unique experience.

What? There are no other caches that one could find that requires a walk through the tunnel to the same general areas as the old #9 location? If a cache is placed at the same exact spot, but with a standard icon, wouldn't you have the same experience?

(And for full disclosure, I do not have the icon)

The best way to honor the loss of APE 9 is for all cachers out there to make their own GREAT cache in their own area that is worthy of being memorable to others, instead of hiding easy P&G caches. Then the spirit and heart of what geocaching is all about will live on and GROW the sport instead of it becoming just "geo-trash" as some see it (perhaps how they muggle(s) who stole APE9 saw the APE cache.....

just something to think about.

A DNF was logged on Iron Horse (GC79) today and it hadn't been found since before the APE Cache disappeared. Wonder if it's been taken too?

In fact, none of the caches along that stretch have been found recently. Some with multiple DNFs going back a few days before Mission 9 disappeared. Was the whole area cleared out?

But the GC number, icon and souvenir are not part of the experience. They are after-effects.

I think people just need to be honest

If honesty is the order of the day, then perhaps you should acknowledge that different folks experience different things, in different ways. Assuming, for the moment that Groundspeak opts to revive the Ape cache for my hypothetical May 17th, 2013 pilgrimage, when I logged my find, I would "experience" several things that you, apparently, would not. When I submitted my log, I would "experience" the addition of the dreaded Ape icon to my found caches list. I would also "experience" the addition of the Ape souvenir to my list of current souvenirs. Since my hypothetical find would be predicated by my visiting Groundspeak Headquarters and the Original Stash Plaque, I would also "experience" the satisfaction of having achieved geocaching's Trifecta, basking in the knowledge that my moniker had finally joined those others who have traveled across the country, and even across the globe, for that same "experience".

All this is obvious to anyone willing to take an honest look at the situation.

What I don't get is your objections.

If we put aside reality for a minute, and pretend that the only thing different between the Ape cache and it's closest neighbor was a clump of pixels, why would that bother you? One of the constant critiques I see in these forums is the lack of tolerance for what some folks derive from this game. While I have no use for a film can in a Wally World parking llot, I have learned, over time, that others enjoy them, and forum ethos requires that I accept this. If memory serves, (and at my age there's no guaruntee), i seem to recall your name amongst the proponents of tolerance. Yet, if someone wants to find a cache, just for the icon, you seem to cringe.

What's up with that?

A DNF was logged on Iron Horse (GC79) today and it hadn't been found since before the APE Cache disappeared. Wonder if it's been taken too?

In fact, none of the caches along that stretch have been found recently. Some with multiple DNFs going back a few days before Mission 9 disappeared. Was the whole area cleared out?

I noticed that too (I watch Iron Horse). I'm starting to think we may need to mount an expedition to the area and see if we can figure out what is going on. I'm starting to get nervous, I was looking forward to looking for Iron Horse in a few weeks.

Edited by psykokiwi

I think people just need to be honest - they are upset not about the losing of the "experience" - they are upset they can't get the icon.

When I booked a trip to Seattle in September, one of the things I was really excited about was being able to do the Ape cache after the tunnel had opened again. Ape cache or not, I'm still excited about walking through the tunnel. The icons/souvenir would've been some nice candy to go along with it, but my experience won't be diminished without them.

I hope this isn't the case. Obviously, the difference is that these caches wouldn't have to be archived just because the container went missing. A cache like Iron Horse will have plenty of community support to keep it going should the CO need the help.

If we put aside reality for a minute, and pretend that the only thing different between the Ape cache powertrails and it's closest neighbora multicache was a clump of pixels, why would that bother you? One of the constant critiques I see in these forums is the lack of tolerance for what some folks derive from this game. While I have no use for a film can in a Wally World parking lot, I have learned, over time, that others enjoy them, and forum ethos requires that I accept this. If memory serves, (and at my age there's no guaruntee), i seem to recall your name amongst the proponents of tolerance. Yet, if someone wants to find a cache parking lot micro powertrail, just for the icon additional number value, you seem to cringe.

I was playing Mad Libs with your post and that is what I came up with.

While it would be a little unfair to compare a massive ammo box in a nice location with a powertrail, suppose Groundspeak created a new unique icon series limited to the top 10 favorited geocaching destinations in the world. Only 10 caches on the entire planet would have the icon. Would the location of the previous APE cache be justified as putting it on the list? Or would it stick out among the others as being so-so? Would it rather rank in the top 100 instead? It seems that the unique icon along with the additional hype, inflated it's status higher than normal. Icons and numbers are 2 peas in a pod. It is a bit unfair to deride someone on how they want to play the game, or what goals they want to reach. But when the balloon gets inflated to a size that's obviously unwieldy, it would be quite normal for others to try to bring it back down into the scope of reality.

I just might eventually make a trip to the Brazil APE cache. If it gets archived the day before I arrive, of course I'll be a bit disappointed. But will my vacation be ruined, or will I post that I'm cancelling my premium membership because they wont reinstate it? That's a little over the top. Push an extreme in one direction, and the other will appear - at least according to Master Sun Tzu in "The Art of War". Yin and yang are complementary, interdependent opposites, neither of which can exist without the other. Each can transform into the other, and contains a seed of the other within it. :)

Edited by 4wheelin_fool

Interesting. What if the cache thief only tossed all the containers elsewhere? What if someone finds the APE container again? :ph34r:

I hiked up the Anette lake trail and along the iron horse grade from the tunnel gate to the avalanche shed and found all of the

cache sites to be empty, on Saturday the 18th (my bday). a real shame. but a nice hike and experience none the less. will volunteer

to do what I can to place or replace, when a decision has been made. (if I'm still in the area)(work/pending)

grampapa

Did some organization do a thorough trail clean up? Perhaps part of the construction or rehab afterwards... or just a routine cleanup. Hate to think it was an assault or collector problem. Recyclers looking for scrap/refundables? Was the rest of the trail super clean of other items? Looks from the map as if it covered a fair distance along the trail... can't really tell, but there were a few that had no new logs since May but no DNFs even then... so it might be more...

Doug 7rxc

If all the caches in the area are missing, I would think that it's more likely that they may have been tossed away, rather than removed completely, because I think it would be almost impossible to steal them all without some sort of transportation.

there was signs of dual wheeled vehicles along that road grade when I was up there on the 18th. and also signs of road grading and

some clean up like brush scraped flat to the ground and gravel build up. But yet there was sign of other debree and trash(beer cans

and bottles) that was not bothered

grampapa

Edited by grampapa

Did some organization do a thorough trail clean up? Perhaps part of the construction or rehab afterwards... or just a routine cleanup. Hate to think it was an assault or collector problem. Recyclers looking for scrap/refundables? Was the rest of the trail super clean of other items? Looks from the map as if it covered a fair distance along the trail... can't really tell, but there were a few that had no new logs since May but no DNFs even then... so it might be more...

Doug 7rxc

well, if it was recyclers there was plenty of pipe, railroad iron , plates and old rusty equipement frames and such that did not seem

bothered.

suppose Groundspeak created a new unique icon series limited to the top 10 favorited geocaching destinations in the world. Only 10 caches on the entire planet would have the icon. Would the location of the previous APE cache be justified as putting it on the list?

Not sure how this is relevant? If the hypothetical new icon went to the top ten favorited caches on the globe, one must assume that the selection process would be entirely automatic, and could change on a daily basis as folks add votes. By "location of the previous Ape cache", I assume you mean a replacement? Or are you talking about folks favoriting the archived cache? Either way, if folks vote for it, then it would, by definition, meet the criteria you established for the new hypothetical icon. If the computers at Grooundspeak saw that the cache earned sufficient favorite points to reach the top ten, it would automatically get the icon.

It seems that the unique icon along with the additional hype, inflated it's status higher than normal.

Could be. I'm not sure how we'd establish a base line to determine normalcy. I don't know how many active caches were on the planet when those 13 were created, but I would assume that the percentage of Ape caches to all the rest of the caches was pretty low. If numbers were all we had to play with, then the status of those 13 Ape caches was pretty darn high to begin with. At some point, Groundspeak decided to elevate the status of that one particular Ape cache much higher than the rest by officially acknowledging the Trifecta, which was 3 specific caches out of all the active hides in the world. The percentage would be astronomically higher at that point because there were so many more caches around, and the total number of caches granted this higher degree of status was dropped from 13 to 3.

Whatever the reason, (unique icon, Groundspeak promotion, part of the Trifecta, etc), the status of Mission 9 is significantly higher than any other cache on the globe. Groundspeak recognized the value of having a Mecca, and gave us one. Then, by archiving it as opposed to keeping it alive, Groundspeak took that Mecca away.

I get that it's not important to you. That's perfectly OK. But it is important to many other folks. Important enough that they gear their whole vacations around it, coming from across the continent or across the globe.

It is a bit unfair to deride someone on how they want to play the game, or what goals they want to reach.

I agree. If you dig back into my past, you'll find that I used to actively deride individuals because of their caching aesthetics. The numbers cachers, the P&G fans, the micro lovers, all were targets for my derision. As expected, I was flamed fairly hard for my vitriol, and this reaction, from the caching community, really caused me to rethink my attitude. I have reached the point where I recognize that what may be important to BillyBobNosePicker, might not be important to me. We all have our likes and dislikes, and we should be free to express our likes and dislikes, so long as we do so without venom. I still poke fun at some groups from time to time, but I no longer target individuals for my snark. And yet, for many in these forums, that change is insufficient. According to those folks who preach tolerance, (and I'm pretty sure BBWolf was one of them), even poking fun at someone's preferences is out of line.

That's why I was so shocked to see BBWolf actively deriding what someone else thought was important. If we were to dismiss the history, the souvenir, and the Trifecta from the equation, reducing what made Mission 9 special to just the icon, does that make it OK for folks like BBWolf to deride those folks who want the icon? It seems that tolerance has taken a back seat where this cache is involved.

Edited by Clan Riffster

Re-activate the A.P.E. cache, but make it a P.M.O.C. and we'll have some real fun, up in this thread.

what difference does that make? I don't know or understand.

Premium Member Only caches are a hot topic in these forums, coming up on a regular basis, with folks screaming about them being "elitist". I think MMACH 5 was comparing the degree of emotion present in this thread with the degree of emotion in the PMO threads. There is a degree of angst being displayed by some, to the idea of resurrecting the Ape cache. If this were done, and it was done as a PMO cache, the angst would be even greater, for some.

I suspect MMACH 5 was just poking fun.

That's why I was so shocked to see BBWolf actively deriding what someone else thought was important. If we were to dismiss the history, the souvenir, and the Trifecta from the equation, reducing what made Mission 9 special to just the icon, does that make it OK for folks like BBWolf to deride those folks who want the icon? It seems that tolerance has taken a back seat where this cache is involved.

I wasn't deriding anyone - I have no idea how you came to that conclusion. If someone wants to chase icons, souvenirs, lampposts, etc, that's there business. Whatever rocks your world.

What I was discussing were the people that seem to say "it's not about the icon, it's the experience of getting there" but they really mean its about the icon. It's like the folks who had plans for the ET Highway, saying it's about the fun and the trip and the adventure, not about the numbers. But as soon as the trail was shutdown, they now go to Arizona. What, the scenery and fun wasn't going to be there anymore?

So, enjoy what you want, how you want.

I wasn't deriding anyone - I have no idea how you came to that conclusion.

By reading your replies in this thread.

Things like:

• but with a standard icon, wouldn't you have the same experience?
  • But the GC number, icon and souvenir are not part of the experience.
  • I think people just need to be honest
  • they are upset not about the losing of the "experience"
  • they are upset they can't get the icon.

You start off fairly well, inquiring about how others view a particular situation.

Then you dictate that your opinion on the matter is an inarguable truth.

Then you imply that folks are liars.

Then you go back to espousing your opinion as fact.

Then you dictate what someone else is really upset about.

Statements like those are dismissive toward the views and values of others. Specifically, those who view the icon as part of the experience. You have dismissed the value of the icon by claiming it is not part of the experience, even though many folks claim that, for them, it is. Dismissing the value system of another person is derisive. Ergo, from over here in the cheap seats, it seems that you are performing the act of deriding.

As that's not normally your forte, it surprised me.

I hiked up the Anette lake trail and along the iron horse grade from the tunnel gate to the avalanche shed and found all of the

cache sites to be empty, on Saturday the 18th (my bday). a real shame. but a nice hike and experience none the less. will volunteer

to do what I can to place or replace, when a decision has been made. (if I'm still in the area)(work/pending)

grampapa

I, too, watch Iron Horse and noticed the DNF with great uneasiness. So other caches in the area are missing, too? What on earth is going on up there?

grampapa

I, too, watch Iron Horse and noticed the DNF with great uneasiness. So other caches in the area are missing, too? What on earth is going on up there?

The park staff did a bit of titivation, the park canceled all the permits but forgot to tell the owners, the grudge against Groundspeak is spilling over to surrounding caches, we want to make sure WSGA does not have a reason for the APE party, Bigfoot is real, someone put food in all the containers and the bears are real hungry this year, a bunch of muggles just started playing the game and they don't have the basics down quite yet? I don't know, that is all the ideas I can come up with.

So in reading through all the people who keep on talking about how someone should just drop an ammo can out there and publish a tribute cache. I wasn't going to post anything but this is killing me. 3 or 4 months ago, when the lid went missing for the first time, I dropped a holding tag on the APE cache coords because I had 10 120mm ammo cans from a pallet I had bought, and was afraid the APE thief would take the whole thing come spring and the old APE Archive rule would drop. Soon after it was archived I e-mailed a reviewer and let them know my intentions if Groundspeak or Moun10bike choose not to do anything and was told to give them some time (Which I completely understood I would be told, and rightly so.) I have the 120mm Ammo Can almost ready to go with the original markings along with a Moun10bike coin I will be attaching to the lid like the original (Took me a long time to get that coin, and I got from a cache). I also have a chain a bolt cutter can't cut. I am prepared to go through the process to get the permit, I live in the area and am single, have no kids, and have plenty of time to go through the process. I hope Groundspeak simply chooses to reverse their decision and unarchive it, but if neither Groundspeak nor Moun10bike choose to do anything with it long term, I will have a can up there as fast as I can.

I would make other plans for your containers. Groundspeak most definitely has plans to do something with the APE location; all will be revealed around the time of Going APE event; attendees will be the first to benefit. B) I've been told to say no more yet. :ph34r:

In taking a peak at a good chunk of the caches on the Iron Horse Trail near where the Ape cache once was, it appears they are gone. These caches either have very recent multiple DNF logs or the cache owner verified the cache is gone. The caches are: GC79 (Iron Horse), GC1HQBR, GC15HY6, GC2ATM6, GCG5VG, and GCG9EZ (a MtnBike cache). It would seem that someone has hit the caches along the Iron Horse Trail near the tunnel. I sure hope it wasnt one of those "save the forest" nutso's that hate geocaching.

I would make other plans for your containers. Groundspeak most definitely has plans to do something with the APE location; all will be revealed around the time of Going APE event; attendees will be the first to benefit. B) I've been told to say no more yet. :ph34r:

Oh, yay for the WSGA and Groundspeak! We were/are looking SO forward to this event, I'm so glad things are still happening. Thankyou Hydnsek for letting us know it's still a go! :grin:

--Momma Caswell

Oh, yay for the WSGA and Groundspeak! We were/are looking SO forward to this event, I'm so glad things are still happening. Thankyou Hydnsek for letting us know it's still a go! :grin:

--Momma Caswell

You're welcome. I'm excited too. Bryan had to put the thumbscrews on me to keep me quiet, but he agreed I could at least confirm something was in the works, since folks have travel plans. :lol:

Unfortunately A.P.E. sized ammo boxes are not easy to come by or cheap when you do find them.

here

and here

more here

And the list is pretty long on google. Roughly $20 is not very expensive. Of course none of these come with the special ape icon on the lid or cache listing. :rolleyes:

The first one I looked at was $19 for the ammo box and $28 to ship (their cheapest method). If the thief is determined enough it can get quite expensive. If a new one has to be ordered each time it goes missing there could be no cache there for weeks at a time. That will make for a lot of disappointed people who came a long way to log a DNF. Or some local would have to store a bunch of them ready to go the minute it goes missing. Not exactly cheap or convenient.

This is definitely not about the container.

There are a lot of people on this thread ready to donate a container, including me (yes I've got a few of them, actually). If you need more "Ape size" containers, just look at the cache page and all the people who posted there before it got locked. Many of those people offered money and/ or containers.

And then there is always the spare at Groundspeak everyone talks about (that I have not seen).