Mission 9 Project Ape cache missing

Al 7365

This cache needs to survive.

Geocachers need their caches that are geocaching "mecca" caches, and we have very few.

Geocaching has made it abundantly clear, in the past, that once the APE Cache container has disappeared, the cache must be archived. To replace this one would be the ultimate hypocrisy.

Geocachers need their caches that are geocaching "mecca" caches, and we have very few.

Geocaching has made it abundantly clear, in the past, that once the APE Cache container has disappeared, the cache must be archived. To replace this one would be the ultimate hypocrisy.

I agree. Just because some have not had a chance to get a special icon does not mean Groundspeak should suddenly change their position on an Ape cache close to home if they have been adamant about archiving other Ape caches in the past. I joined too late to get a 10 year icon. That doesn't mean they should allow more 10 year events just so we late comers can get a special icon.

I agree. Just because some have not had a chance to get a special icon does not mean Groundspeak should suddenly change their position on an Ape cache close to home if they have been adamant about archiving other Ape caches in the past. I joined too late to get a 10 year icon. That doesn't mean they should allow more 10 year events just so we late comers can get a special icon.

I regret not going to a 10th anniversity of geocaching event now.

Moun10bike is the cache owner. If he wishes to replace the cache, I believe he should have the option of replacing the cache...just as any other cacher would have.

Personally, I hope Moun10Bike chooses to replace the cache container. This is a historic cache that deserves to remain active. (Now if he replaces the container with a film canister, we reserve the right to kick his behind.) :)

And no, I seriously doubt Moun10bike will archive this listing due to someone muggling it
If the cache container is taken, it should be archived.
If it turns out to be an Ape original box is the key, Then I will gracefully give up my Ape Cacahe in Brazil to either to Jon or Groundspeak if it can be done, its a very big peace of history for our sport. This will bring more pleasure to folks in the sport if there has to be a last one it should be in WA
I would take issue with this if it were done.

While it is no skin off my back one way or another I would think that treating this differently than the the other ones would be unfair.

No skin off your back and no icon off your list of icons. Maybe if they took away the icon when the cache is archived you would think differently.

Doubt it.

Well, the decision has been made and the cache has been archived. I was but a few months from making the journey, but as they say...no cache is permanent.

I suspect that any replacement would have gone missing as well. I'm sure the person who took it is monitoring this thread and loving the attention. Probably best to forget about it and move on so as not to give him the satisfaction.

Edited by briansnat

Amen and if they replace that cache, they should do all the other APE caches as well!!

Moun10bike is the cache owner. If he wishes to replace the cache, I believe he should have the option of replacing the cache...just as any other cacher would have.

Problem is this is not any other cache. It is a special one with a special icon and the other ape cache owners did not have the option of replacing the cache so neither should Moun10bike.

Appears to be moot anyway since he archived it.

Sadly, the APE cache was archived this evening. Here is what Mou10Bike posted in the cache log tonight:

"After careful deliberation with Jeremy, Bryan and others, I've decided that the best course of action with this cache is to archive it. I'll be sad to see it go; needless to say I've become rather familiar with the location over the last 10 years!

Many thanks for all of the great logs posted to this cache over the years, and my most sincere apologies to those who wanted to visit it but were denied the chance."

A sad day indeed.

For those who have a trip booked in the fall (as I do), the Tunnel of Light is set to re-open later this summer and even without an Ape Project cache to find at the end of it, I think it would be worth your time to go experience walking through the tunnel. It was, after all, the reason that location was chosen for the cache.

For those who have a trip booked in the fall (as I do), the Tunnel of Light is set to re-open later this summer and even without an Ape Project cache to find at the end of it, I think it would be worth your time to go experience walking through the tunnel. It was, after all, the reason that location was chosen for the cache.

There is also a pretty darn good cache still there anyway right? Also the missile cache nearby is great too... Not to mention it isn't that far from "Geocache" and Snoqualmie Falls" is along the way if you drive from Seattle

There is also a pretty darn good cache still there anyway right? Also the missile cache nearby is great too... Not to mention it isn't that far from "Geocache" and Snoqualmie Falls" is along the way if you drive from Seattle.

Guys, really. It's just one cache. It's not the sight of your great-great-granddaddy's death, it's not where the Makalahooee signed the Great Hostess Cupcake Treaty of '06, it's not even the ET Highway, for Pete's sake. It's one cache that was in a really cool place (that you can still visit) that had a really hard to find icon associated with it.

I'm going to remember the angst this has caused the next time somebody complains about commercial promotions in Geocaching *cough* Geico *cough*.

I probably have to admit that the icon got us to go up there -- but walking through the tunnel was what made the adventure worthwhile. Now that Brazil holds the last remaining APE icon, perhaps it will lead others there to find their own adventure. For the sake of the Brazil tourist industry, I hope they guard it well.

As Heston found out at the end of the original ape movie, nothing lasts forever: "YOU MANIACS! YOU BLEW IT UP! OH, dadgum YOU!"

Edited by mulvaney

Guys, really. It's just one cache.

For me, it represents far more than just another cache.

Between the location, the history, (part of the Trifecta), and the icon, this one was special, to me.

While I understand Groundspeak's stance, it still stings a bit.

I can even applaud Moun10Bike for doing what is fair.

But it still stings.

I won't be gnashing my terrible teeth or roaring my terrible roar, but I will miss it.

Adieu, Mission 9! (sigh...)

(Psst... Anybody know a cheap way to get to Brazil?) :ph34r:

Between the location, the history, (part of the Trifecta), and the icon, this one was special, to me.

But it still stings.

I won't be gnashing my terrible teeth or roaring my terrible roar, but I will miss it.

This is the question we should all be asking :)

I also wanted to point out, like d-n.s, that there are still some awesome caches on the Annette Lake Trail and the Iron Horse that are worth finding. The Rocket Cache, which is in the top 20 favorited caches in Washington State and Iron Horse, the second oldest cache in Washington are both on the trail. I do disagree with the final decision, and not because I haven't been there, in fact I've been up there half a dozen times in my caching career. For the record, this wasn't a random muggler, it was a personal issue between two people, which is why I believe the cache should have been kept going, perhaps under the WSGA.

All that being said, I do want to give a shout out to Moun10bike for his years of service keeping this one going.

A really shame this was archived, I would argue strongly that this one should be replaced as I was one of the caches that one day hoped to make the journey to the cache. It may be too late now to replace the cache, but possible not; it could be unachieved. But what I think could be a better solution is the placement of a log able plaque with the souvenir and icon.

I have set up a post on the Groundspeak get satisfaction forum to this effect.

I also wanted to point out, like d-n.s, that there are still some awesome caches on the Annette Lake Trail and the Iron Horse that are worth finding. The Rocket Cache, which is in the top 20 favorited caches in Washington State and Iron Horse, the second oldest cache in Washington are both on the trail. I do disagree with the final decision, and not because I haven't been there, in fact I've been up there half a dozen times in my caching career. For the record, this wasn't a random muggler, it was a personal issue between two people, which is why I believe the cache should have been kept going, perhaps under the WSGA.

All that being said, I do want to give a shout out to Moun10bike for his years of service keeping this one going.

:blink:

boy I'd like to hear this story!

:blink:

boy I'd like to hear this story!

me too!

A really shame this was archived, I would argue strongly that this one should be replaced as I was one of the caches that one day hoped to make the journey to the cache. It may be too late now to replace the cache, but possible not; it could be unachieved. But what I think could be a better solution is the placement of a log able plaque with the souvenir and icon.

I support the idea of a logable plaque. What does it need to make this happen?

I wanted to vote for it but it seems not to be there...

I support the idea of a logable plaque. What does it need to make this happen?

There is a plaque at the original cache location in Oregon. It was placed with Groundspeak's approval for distance since there is another cache about 50 feet from it. It usually has an ammo can near by for swag and trackables. But even as a plaque that cache gets muggled several times a year. I've taken friends to it many times, and it seems each time the adoptive CO has had to replace and move it. I've placed TBs there that have disappeared after being dropped there. I agree that a plaque at the APE site is a good idea, maybe as a virtual of sorts. But if you make it a virtual, then the problem will be with armchair logging of it. I know many of the grandfathered virtual caches are being archived for that very reason. What would be nice would be to have a plaque there, along with the plaque at the original cache, and the log book at the headquarters. Make it a virtual multi cache?? Have to visit the first two and then sign the log book at HQ to get the special icon. That would prevent armchair logging, and keep the triad alive.

But it still stings.

Well said!

Brazil... don't know. Just checked prices for a flight. More expensive than the states from my place... :(

Arragh. I'm so heartbroken about this. I really wanted to go up there for the upcoming mega-even, and go for this at the same time, and I was really looking forward to buying the triad coin. Now I can't do this.

Why would you want to do this? You already found it on January 15, 2010. At least according to the log I received via email a couple of minutes ago...

Arragh. I'm so heartbroken about this. I really wanted to go up there for the upcoming mega-even, and go for this at the same time, and I was really looking forward to buying the triad coin. Now I can't do this.

Why would you want to do this? You already found it on January 15, 2010. At least according to the log I received via email a couple of minutes ago...

And it was the only cache they found in Washington. Strange.

I notice a log on the cache that they saw a lot of post-dated logs after the archive. I hope people aren't fake-logging this thing, with the notion "Well, no one can prove I wasn't there."

And it was the only cache they found in Washington. Strange.

I notice a log on the cache that they saw a lot of post-dated logs after the archive. I hope people aren't fake-logging this thing, with the notion "Well, no one can prove I wasn't there."

Usually I don't care about people fake logging. This is a game and everyone should play it the way the want it to play. If they enjoy it, so what.

But it really gets me if people brag about not having been there and log the cache found a couple of minutes later. It can be done more... skilled. You know?

However, this thread should not be about the way people play this game, it should be about finding a way to preserve this cache or this series.

So, I just had this idea. If there's another case floating around somewhere. Allow somebody to inspect it and fabricate a replica, and maybe this time anchor it into the bedrock or tie it down with a chain or something.

When I found it last month, it was chained. It lasted a really long time considering it was out in the open and large.

Edited by d+n.s

:o

:lol::D

MrsB

yay! Brazil, bring on the $140 visa!!!!! That is on top of the airfare, on top of the hotels, food, rental car, international drivers permit and the nearly 4 hour drive from the nearest airport. I mean there is a reason why this cache has less than 25 finds in 10 years...

bring back Mission 9.

and there is not too much else in the area that seems to be interesting... :(

It would appear he got caught with his fingers in the cookie jar. His Found log is gone.

When Mission 12 was archived back in 2006, I received notes of pleading, begging and - believe it or not - hate mail. Even as recent as 6 months ago I have had offers to replace the cache to bring it back online, one from people in Norway (not Norway, IL, but the country) saying they would ship me a replacement container. :rolleyes:

Edited by Markwell

This could not have been an easy decision for moun10bike and the crew at Groundspeak, especially considering this one was right in their backyard. I applaud them for taking the high road and applying the same standard to this cache as they did with the other APE caches.

Yes, it is sad, but keep in perspective -- it's just an icon. There are plenty of good caches along the trail, the tunnel is set to re-open, and the oldest cache in Washington (GCD) is right across the valley.

Look at the bright side -- I know a great place that has a pile of rocks that is just crying out for an ammocan...

It would appear he got caught with his fingers in the cookie jar. His Found log is gone.

Lame...

This is too bad...I was planning a trip to Washington to complete 2/3 of the triad, while at the two events later this summer...I understand and support Groundspeak's decision but it still is a bit disappointing. I guess I will be rethinking my travel plans...

There are still caches in Washington to search. One cache is gone for goodness sake. The tunnel is still there and so are numerous other caches. Seems a bit melodramatic to cancel travel plans over one cache.

since the topic I thought was more obvious is locked, will post something here.

I am also watching the ape cache. My synopsis about it? I would say about 98% of folks are sad to see it go, many extremely so. About 1/5 support Groundspeak getting rid of it. Some folks are logging it before it gets locked. I know one of those was legit, I bet some were not and some won't be.

I look at it this way. Lets say Groundspeak had just replaced the cache or allow someone else to adopt it (a HUGE list of folks would do this by the way). I really do not think there would be much dissent over this decision. They would please so many. Sure a few folks might be a bit annoyed they kept this one while allowing the old ones to perish (so so many years ago though) but there would not be a firestorm of uproar over that. And to quote a Sheryl Crow song, "if it makes you happy".....if it makes folks happy to make an exception, why not do it?

This is too bad...I was planning a trip to Washington to complete 2/3 of the triad, while at the two events later this summer...I understand and support Groundspeak's decision but it still is a bit disappointing. I guess I will be rethinking my travel plans...

There are still caches in Washington to search. One cache is gone for goodness sake. The tunnel is still there and so are numerous other caches. Seems a bit melodramatic to cancel travel plans over one cache.

You've never heard of geotourism eh? Maybe you wouldn't make a long trip specifically for one particular cache, but many other people would and have.

since the topic I thought was more obvious is locked, will post something here.

I am also watching the ape cache. My synopsis about it? I would say about 98% of folks are sad to see it go, many extremely so. About 1/5 support Groundspeak getting rid of it. Some folks are logging it before it gets locked. I know one of those was legit, I bet some were not and some won't be.

I look at it this way. Lets say Groundspeak had just replaced the cache or allow someone else to adopt it (a HUGE list of folks would do this by the way). I really do not think there would be much dissent over this decision. They would please so many. Sure a few folks might be a bit annoyed they kept this one while allowing the old ones to perish (so so many years ago though) but there would not be a firestorm of uproar over that. And to quote a Sheryl Crow song, "if it makes you happy".....if it makes folks happy to make an exception, why not do it?

My hope is that when the virtual cache is reintroduced in time for the August block party one of the first new virtuals is this Ape cache complete with the ape icon. Yeah, I know, wishful thinking.