Need a way to narrow cache search outside of US.

leatherman

I'd like to search for a cache in Canada. The only way to narrow down the entire country is by Province. Wow there are 187 in British Columbia.

I have to search through all of them to see if there are some near Port Alberni or Duke Point.

Maybe if the results on the search page included the coords I could visualize the general area of the cache while browsing.

elkgrin.gif

Preperation, the first law to survival.

39197_400.jpg

What about using a proximity search for an area? The only time I use a state search is when I'm looking for new caches. The state/province search then shows them in order with the most recently placed first.

If you search from a known landmark - home, work, a confluence, etc. - it should help you narrow down your prospects.

B.C. has 187? Wow. Illinois has 427 and is about 16% the size of B.C.

In the states, a combination of Texas and Colorado will equal the approximate land mass of B.C. Those two states combined have 1,124 caches.

And you're complaining about weeding through 187? icon_wink.gif

Markwell

Chicago Geocachers

What about using a proximity search for an area? The only time I use a state search is when I'm looking for new caches. The state/province search then shows them in order with the most recently placed first.

If you search from a known landmark - home, work, a confluence, etc. - it should help you narrow down your prospects.

B.C. has 187? Wow. Illinois has 427 and is about 16% the size of B.C.

In the states, a combination of Texas and Colorado will equal the approximate land mass of B.C. Those two states combined have 1,124 caches.

And you're complaining about weeding through 187? icon_wink.gif

Markwell

Chicago Geocachers

quote:
Originally posted by Markwell:

21% of all the caches in Texas and Colorado combined are within 100 miles of MY house. Throw in New Mexico and I can still get to 18% within a couple hours. Or, there are more caches within 100 miles of my house than there are in the entire state of New Mexico. Ain't I just the luckiest geocacher in the entire world? icon_biggrin.gif

... Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--

I took the one less traveled by, ...

unclerojelio

quote:
Originally posted by Markwell:

21% of all the caches in Texas and Colorado combined are within 100 miles of MY house. Throw in New Mexico and I can still get to 18% within a couple hours. Or, there are more caches within 100 miles of my house than there are in the entire state of New Mexico. Ain't I just the luckiest geocacher in the entire world? icon_biggrin.gif

... Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--

I took the one less traveled by, ...

unclerojelio

Don't know how this would work - would probably require shock or java, but I would like to see the ability to draw a box around an area that I would like to get cache information on. That way, I could go up and down a 50 mile highway and only look for caches within 10 m. from the road, reducing the search area from 500 sq. miles to 100.

---------------

wavey.gif Go! And don't be afraid to get a little wet!

I picked a cache in Port Alberni on buxley's page. So I could write down the coordinates. Then I did a search on geocaching search page with the coordinates. Worked like a search down here. Just can't start with a zip code.

Thanks for the help.

Preperation, the first law to survival.

39197_400.jpg

maybe I'm missing the point, but if you select "Canada" in the Locate Nearest Caches box on the main page, you can then select "View Cache Map of Canada" and it shows all the caches - you can zoom into an area to find/identify caches? I guess you need you know the area you're interested in though.