Could I be legally proseuctued for using geocaching.com?

It's a corrupt destitute despotic third-world communist nation. Have fun, I'll pass on that one!

I have Canadian relatives who visit regularly. If I had a choice between Cuba and Mexico. I would go visit Fidel and Raoul with out hesitation.

Two words. Mayan Ruins. Winner, Mexico. :lol:

Sinaloa Cartel

Gulf Cartel

Juárez Cartel

Tijuana Cartel

La Familia Cartel

Los Zetas Cartel

Beltrán-Leyva Cartel

Winner: The Adirondacks in New York State :P

HA! love it. +1

But seriously, leave the GPSr at home, they apparently aren't allowed around Cuba for 2 reasons, flashing expensive equipment may get you mugged and they don't want anyone taking coords of anything sensitive.

Beware, that once you return you may be flagged and stopped by Customs on future trips for extra security measures.

But seriously, leave the GPSr at home, they apparently aren't allowed around Cuba for 2 reasons, flashing expensive equipment may get you mugged and they don't want anyone taking coords of anything sensitive.

If GPS receivers aren't allowed in Cuba, how did all of those caches get placed?

If GPS receivers aren't allowed in Cuba, how did all of those caches get placed?
How did all those benchmarks get placed?

I think GeoGeeBee meant the clause in the guidelines you agree to when publishing a new cache saying you used your GPS receiver to get the coordinates.

You must visit the geocache site and obtain all the coordinates with a GPS device.
How did all those benchmarks get placed?

I think GeoGeeBee meant the clause in the guidelines you agree to when publishing a new cache saying you used your GPS receiver to get the coordinates.

You must visit the geocache site and obtain all the coordinates with a GPS device.

Never met the guy in person, but a Canadian from near me in Niagara Falls Ontario had a cache in Cuba (since archived). I do believe he mentioned sneaking the GPS in and not getting caught. Last I had looked, and I don't keep track of this or anything, almost all of the caches in Cuba were placed by Canadians, or U.S. Military Personnel at Guantanamo bay.

I would still report Coldgears if he went on a trip to the Adrirondack's by the way.

Sorry for the bump...

But...

I thought Adirondacks were made up by you guys until today. My friend had a camera, and was showing me pictures, he went a little too far and went into a picture of him in the woods, (He was showing me pictures of something else entirely) I convinced him to let me look. Low and behold, a beautiful view of a lake and some sort of mountain (Too small... Maybe a hill) he told me it was Lake George which is in the adirondacks.

I can definitely see myself going there now.

he told me it was Lake George which is in the adirondacks.

I can definitely see myself going there now.

Ahhhh, Lake George - where I started Geocaching. But what fun would that be, it's not a communist country and you won't be prosecuted for going there :D

As long as we're picking nits...

If you did go to Cuba,

and if you did find geocaches while you were there,

and if you did log those geocaches on geocaching.com,

and if you were "proseuctued" for your trip...

You wouldn't be prosecuted for using geocaching.com. You'd be prosecuted for violating the trade embargo. Your cache logs probably wouldn't even be used as evidence in the trial. But your hotel receipts would.

Serious Zombie thread bump. I'll be passing though Philly in 3 weeks, perhaps I should look for a ColdGears cache. Whatever happened to him, anyways? Most Americans don't know this, but I live like a stones throw from Canada, and Canadians are free to travel to Cuba at any time. Cuba is actually a total Caribbean vacation destination to Canadians. I see I suggested early in the thread that an American can't just show up in Hamilton or Toronto and fly to Cuba, but that might not be the case. I don't know, I never had any interest in trying it. :)

I visited Cuba last year, on my way back from a work trip that took me to the Bahamas via the Block Party. Of course it's no problem for me as a NZer, but there were Americans on the plane. Cuban immigration will not stamp your passport if you are American (and maybe other nationalities too by default, as they didn't stamp mine) - I actually had to ask them to stamp my passport when I left the country. I didn't risk taking a GPS and I'm glad as they carefully xray everything including your watch. On the other hand, they openly accept that modern phones have GPS, and they let you keep your phone. I even took some Cuban Cigars home (via Panama and Los Angeles) as a souvenir, even declared them to customs in LA - told him "I don't know if it's a problem, but I've got some Cuban Cigars - I can dump them in the bin if it's a problem" and he said it was no problem and told me to enjoy them. I don't smoke so I'll prob end up giving them to my partner's dad. Cuba was a really interesting place, beautiful, friendly, incredibly safe, and it's sad reading some of the close-minded comments from earlier in this thread.

I visited Cuba last year, on my way back from a work trip that took me to the Bahamas via the Block Party. Of course it's no problem for me as a NZer, but there were Americans on the plane. Cuban immigration will not stamp your passport if you are American (and maybe other nationalities too by default, as they didn't stamp mine) - I actually had to ask them to stamp my passport when I left the country. I didn't risk taking a GPS and I'm glad as they carefully xray everything including your watch. On the other hand, they openly accept that modern phones have GPS, and they let you keep your phone. I even took some Cuban Cigars home (via Panama and Los Angeles) as a souvenir, even declared them to customs in LA - told him "I don't know if it's a problem, but I've got some Cuban Cigars - I can dump them in the bin if it's a problem" and he said it was no problem and told me to enjoy them. I don't smoke so I'll prob end up giving them to my partner's dad. Cuba was a really interesting place, beautiful, friendly, incredibly safe, and it's sad reading some of the close-minded comments from earlier in this thread.

Oh, just a few communist jokes here and there. :P I don't think most American's realize just about anyone else can go there, and we're like the only Country that has a travel ban, and boycotts them and stuff. When American's want a low-budget Caribbean vacation, the Domincan Republic is usually the choice.

The funny thing about it is the way our company's travel agent had to book all the different legs of my travel. Cuba had to be kept separated from any leg that included an American carrier. First attempt with it all booked in one go, all the American carriers immediately cancelled my booking because Havana was one of my destinations along the way.

Pretty petty way to make a point. We have been planning a holiday to Cuba, no problem for us.

BTW we did the trans Siberian train thing 2 years ago and were amazed at all the extra questions asked of Americans wanting a Russian visa. Included stuff like military experience and have you had any training with explosives! Sorry for the alight hijack.

Pretty petty way to make a point. We have been planning a holiday to Cuba, no problem for us.

BTW we did the trans Siberian train thing 2 years ago and were amazed at all the extra questions asked of Americans wanting a Russian visa. Included stuff like military experience and have you had any training with explosives! Sorry for the alight hijack.

I wouldn't use the word 'hijack' in a thread about the legality of air travel to a banned country. :)

Edited by TopShelfRob