Could I be legally proseuctued for using geocaching.com?

If I were to go to Cuba, as a US citizen, I probably wouldn't post my exploits on a mostly public website. Assuming that travel to Cuba, in and of itself, is a crime for US citizens, (I haven't checked, so I can't comment), and you were caught, that is what you would be prosecuted for. Not for signing a scrap of paper in a film can.

If I were to go to Cuba, as a US citizen, I probably wouldn't post my exploits on a mostly public website. Assuming that travel to Cuba, in and of itself, is a crime for US citizens, (I haven't checked, so I can't comment), and you were caught, that is what you would be prosecuted for. Not for signing a scrap of paper in a film can.

Apparently the only possible exception is for those with family there. Otherwise, if you're caught, you're prosecuted.

My research indicates there are ways for an American citizen to legally visit Cuba.

The issue is not the actual visit, but the spending of American money there, e.g, DON'T BRING BACK SOUVENIRS...I know that would be nearly impossible for you... :rolleyes:

I don't think the State Department is monitoring Geocaching logs, but I could be wrong.

I think the only illegal thing about Cuba is bringing anything from there back here. Anyone can go and visit Cuba at anytime. If your caught with anything when you go through customs it will be confiscated at best. If you bring a large quantity of something over then you could face fines and jail time. I'm pretty sure the State Department has only banned imports to and exports from Cuba.

I seriously doubt that simply having logged caches in Cuba would be used as cause to press charges, but if charges had been made for some other reason, your caching logs would probably be used to reinforce their case that you had, indeed, been there.

By the way, I have a TB I'd like you to drop off down there, if you don't mind...

This is ridiculous. I live a stones throw from Canada. You can't just go to Hamilton or Toronto airport, and buy a ticket for a flight to Cuba. The Canadians still know you're an American. I think it's called a passport or something. :ph34r:

You need a passport where I live in the US to get into Canada then there's a lack of stamps when exiting Canada and entering Cuba. You can even work with Canadian travel agencies if you live in the US and they will get you to Cuba no problems. It's actually simple and no hassle to do it.

According to an article in many of today's newspapers, in the near future all Americans will be able to take cultural trips to Cuba. The door is opening wider every day. I'm contemplating a visit there myself one of these days.

--Larry

for at least 10 years The Treasury Department allowed cultural visits as long as you had a license

Not that I've kept close track, but according to the article, those licenses have been turned on and off repeatedly over the years, with different rules and restrictions applying each time. The point of the article seems to be that the door is about to swing open again, and wider than before, in the next few weeks or months.

--Larry

According to an article in many of today's newspapers, in the near future all Americans will be able to take cultural trips to Cuba. The door is opening wider every day. I'm contemplating a visit there myself one of these days.

--Larry

for at least 10 years The Treasury Department allowed cultural visits as long as you had a license

Not that I've kept close track, but according to the article, those licenses have been turned on and off repeatedly over the years, with different rules and restrictions applying each time. The point of the article seems to be that the door is about to swing open again, and wider than before, in the next few weeks or months.

--Larry

Yes, but it would be much funner if Coldgears found a way to get there illegally now, and one of us reported him, to see what happens. :grin:

Could I be legally proseuctued for using geocaching.com?
--thread title

Not quite what the thread is actually about, now is it? Is this a "Bait & Switch" method of posting?

Dunno about the legal prosecution aspect, either. You are simply prosecuted, be it legally or illegally, it doesn't matter.

Politics aside, perhaps someday we can visit our neighbor w/o consternation.

This is ridiculous. I live a stones throw from Canada. You can't just go to Hamilton or Toronto airport, and buy a ticket for a flight to Cuba. The Canadians still know you're an American. I think it's called a passport or something. :ph34r:

You need a passport where I live in the US to get into Canada then there's a lack of stamps when exiting Canada and entering Cuba. You can even work with Canadian travel agencies if you live in the US and they will get you to Cuba no problems. It's actually simple and no hassle to do it.

If you say so, I stand corrected. But this near Canada liver whose been there like a thousand times has never heard of hoards of Americans converging on Toronto for a trip to Cuba. Everyone I ever heard of who wants a low-budget Caribean vacation rolls with The Dominican Repuplic. Then you don't have to deal with, say, Communism. :o

--Larry

--Larry

Yes, but it would be much funner if Coldgears found a way to get there illegally now, and one of us reported him, to see what happens. :grin:

That would be hilarious! I can see it becoming one of those forum legend topics. "Hey, remember when we got Coldgears locked up for going to Cuba? ROFL! Does anybody know when he gets out?"

If I was to (theoretically) take an illegal trip to Cuba by going to canada/mexico and then taking a flight from there, could I be prosecuted if I logged the geocaches I found there online?

If you have a pasport and proper documents you can travel to Cuba. Americans are not banned from the country. However keep in mind if you are are in possession of a GPSr you can be arrested

Travel State Gov

"The United States does not have full diplomatic relations with Cuba, but Cuba welcomes American travelers and Americans are generally well received. The United States Government provides consular and other services through the U.S. Interests Section in Havana. The U.S. Interests Section operates under the legal protection of the Swiss government but is not co-located with the Swiss Embassy. "

Edit to add note from Website

Edited by sabrefan7

If you say so, I stand corrected. But this near Canada liver whose been there like a thousand times has never heard of hoards of Americans converging on Toronto for a trip to Cuba. Everyone I ever heard of who wants a low-budget Caribean vacation rolls with The Dominican Repuplic. Then you don't have to deal with, say, Communism. :o

But it would be cool to sit and have a chat w/ John for awhile. :)

Yes, it would be problematic. According to the Homeland Security Act of 2000, 117 Stat. 1875, cosponsored by 211 members of Congress and Groundspeak Admins, Groundspeak was granted the the responsibility of preventing terrorist attacks in the United States via recreational means including but not limited to activities involving seeking items using satellites provided by the United States for navigational purposes in geographical areas determined to be improper ; Investigation and prosecution of terrorism remains with the FBI however assigns Groundspeak only an analytical and advisory role in intelligence activities.[1] Similarly, with Critical Navigational Protection (CNP), which relates to the preparedness and response to serious incidents, the Act gave Groundspeak broad responsibility to minimize damage and use deadly force only if and when a definite determination has been made via public accessible logs of improper activities.

It's extremely cost effective to do a vacation to Cuba. Many people don't do it because they have that whole fear or breaking some law about it because of years of being told that's how it goes.

I lived in Canada and the US by Canada. Have a US passport. People here got sick of going to Florida for their warm winter vacation time and many started going up through Canada and then down to Cuba utilizing Canadian travel agencies. I personally would do it that way just so I could see my friends in Toronto and Hamilton honestly but I'm not a big fan of the tropical vacation thing.

If I was to (theoretically) take an illegal trip to Cuba by going to canada/mexico and then taking a flight from there, could I be prosecuted if I logged the geocaches I found there online?

Essentially you are asking "If I break the law and publish that I had done so online could I be prosecuted."

Ask Anthony Weiner. :blink:

Yes, if you commit a crime and talk about it online or off you can be busted IF evidence can be found. You wouldn't be arrested just for saying that's what you did (i.e. logging a cache in Cuba), but if investigators see that you logged a cache there and check with Canada and Cuba and find out that's indeed what you did, yup, you may be slammer bound. (Assuming that scenario is illegal, it appears that it may not be.)

Reminds me of the newbie that started the season on the TV show Deadliest Catch. He didn't work out so well and was let go. When they got back to the dock to let him off the boat the cops were waiting to arrest him... for robbing three banks!

If you're gonna break the law a low profile is probably for the best.

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

Can someone who sneaks into a park when it is closed, then brags about it in a log, be prosecuted for trespass? Or how about going through a tunnel that is close for repair, to get the cache on the other side? (The Ape cache) Then bragging about it on line?

I don't know, but it seems a little far fetched. Go for it, then let us know how it works out. :)

Essentially you are asking "If I break the law and publish that I had done so online could I be prosecuted."

Ask Anthony Weiner. :blink:

As of this writing the Weiner has not broken any laws and is not facing prosecution. Moral violations galore, but no law violations.

Back OT - Coldgears, please post your itinerary before you go, and make sure you kep a running blog for us :laughing:

Edited by radak9

Might want to check any outstanding 'legal complications'... you'll have 3 countries checking you out!

My understanding is that all of the 3 will let you spend all your money before raising any issues...

Which reminds me I have to get a new Passport someday... but not a problem since I can't afford to travel between towns hardly.

But gas dropped 10 cents a litre yesterday... yea!

Doug 7rxc

On January 14, 2011, the White House greatly expanded Cuba travel for Americans to include academic, research, religious and people-to-people visits. You just need to get a license for one of these reasons to be able to legally travel to Cuba. Do a google search for legal travel to Cuba.

It's a corrupt destitute despotic third-world communist nation. Have fun, I'll pass on that one!

On January 14, 2011, the White House greatly expanded Cuba travel for Americans to include academic, research, religious and people-to-people visits. You just need to get a license for one of these reasons to be able to legally travel to Cuba. Do a google search for legal travel to Cuba.

It's a corrupt destitute despotic third-world communist nation. Have fun, I'll pass on that one!

I have no desire to go to Cuba. I just know how you can get there legally. Personally, I think the U.S. should take control of Cuba and turn it into a new paradise vacation spot, like Hawaii. But that's a different thread.

I have no desire to go to Cuba. I just know how you can get there legally. Personally, I think the U.S. should take control of Cuba and turn it into a new paradise vacation spot, like Hawaii. But that's a different thread.

Ah yes I can see it now. Super Walmarts with McDonald's Subways and Starbucks all enclosed inside them. Paradise :unsure:

So, sun worshippers are fine, huh? And anyone that wants to find out if Cuban cigars are all that they are said to be?

I have Canadian relatives who visit regularly. If I had a choice between Cuba and Mexico. I would go visit Fidel and Raoul with out hesitation.

Two words. Mayan Ruins. Winner, Mexico. :lol:

I have Canadian relatives who visit regularly. If I had a choice between Cuba and Mexico. I would go visit Fidel and Raoul with out hesitation.

+1. Mexico is a pretty large and diverse country. I've been to see some of the mayan ruins near Cancun and also spent a week near Mexico City and spent a few hours at the Teotihuacan pyramids.

I went there (Cuba) many years ago, great place to visit, very cheap, friendly people (but watch out for the scammers). Of course, I am British, so I'm free to travel wherever I want... Tell me again about the 'land of the free'? :P

Seriously, though, I don't think anyone in USA.gov will care if you travel there, certainly not enough to trawl through Geocaching.com cache logs. Can you imagine the embarassment to the government should the newspapers get hold of 'Citizen jailed for taking foreign holiday'? They'd be the laughing-stock of the world.

Sinaloa Cartel

Gulf Cartel

Juárez Cartel

Tijuana Cartel

La Familia Cartel

Los Zetas Cartel

Beltrán-Leyva Cartel

Winner: The Adirondacks in New York State :P

Ah yes I can see it now. Super Walmarts with McDonald's Subways and Starbucks all enclosed inside them. Paradise :unsure:

Why not? They need an economy based on SOMETHING besides Venezuela's hatred of the US!

If you have a pasport and proper documents you can travel to Cuba. Americans are not banned from the country. However keep in mind if you are are in possession of a GPSr you can be arrested

Travel State Gov

This is the magor point to be considered. Use of a GPS in Cuba is illegal.

My caching partner, who left Cuba on the last plane before his father was going to be arrested, has expressed no interest in reurning to Cuba. Yes, his passport does say that he was born in Cuba. Far more intresting places to visit than a poor Second World Country, even with nostalgia.

Travel State Gov

This is the magor point to be considered. Use of a GPS in Cuba is illegal.

My caching partner, who left Cuba on the last plane before his father was going to be arrested, has expressed no interest in reurning to Cuba. Yes, his passport does say that he was born in Cuba. Far more intresting places to visit than a poor Second World Country, even with nostalgia.

Doesn't matter, I'm still not going.

So what does "proseuctued" mean anyway? :unsure:

Firefox Spell Checker doesn't work in the "topic" field. I tend to make typo's there because of that... <_<

when you start a thread there is a "post" box though where the spell checker works

Sinaloa Cartel

Gulf Cartel

Juárez Cartel

Tijuana Cartel

La Familia Cartel

Los Zetas Cartel

Beltrán-Leyva Cartel

Winner: The Adirondacks in New York State :P

Well, communism certainly elminates drug cartel's. Heck, it even kept Yugoslavia together all those years. Me, I'm going to the ruins of Palenque before taking a stroll in Havana. B)

EDIT: Almost didn't see it, but yes, a trip to the Adiriondack's beats both. I would still report Coldgears if he went on a trip to the Adrirondack's by the way.

Edited by Mr.Yuck

So what does "proseuctued" mean anyway? :unsure:

Firefox Spell Checker doesn't work in the "topic" field. I tend to make typo's there because of that... <_<

Mine works fine.

Not to mention I eyeball everything before clicking 'submit'.

Sometimes there is a perfectly good word in there that doesn't fit.

Just tested it on FireFox 4.0.1, No matter what I do the text doesn't have the red squiggly in the "topic title" field. I put the same misspelling into the topic (post) field and it turns red immediately.

Just tested it on FireFox 4.0.1, No matter what I do the text doesn't have the red squiggly in the "topic title" field. I put the same misspelling into the topic (post) field and it turns red immediately.

Firefox doesn't check spelling in single line text fields by default. To make it do so you have to find spellcheckd in your about:config file and change the value to 3.

EDIT: With the latest version of Firefox that value's called layout.spellcheckDefault and the value has to be changed to 2.

Edited by Ambient_Skater